Nashville Recap: Free for Y'all

Nashville Season 3 Recap

In the same way that cockroaches will probably scurry over the Earth long after humanity has winked out of existence, Jeff Fordham spends much of this week’s Nashville not only surviving — but thriving — in the wake of Edgehill Records’ implosion.

In fact, the label’s dissolution, following Rayna’s boardroom visit last week, gives a bunch of our Music City regulars cause for pause. Luke? Will? Layla? None of ’em had much of my attention in the past, because Deyna, but where they land by the end of the hour sets up some very interesting possibilities for the rest of the season.

And I can’t believe I’m writing this, but I’m even interested in finding out where Smirky Turtle Fordham is going to set up his shell, given what happens in the episode’s final minutes.

Elsewhere: Deacon is still dying, Sadie is free-ish and Juliette pulls a semi-Demi Moore. Read on for what happens in “Somebody Pick Up My Pieces.”

RELATED 2015 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

NEW NASHVILLE ORDER | The news spreads through Nashville quickly: After Jeff’s dismissal, Edgehill’s parent company has chosen to close shop rather than find a replacement. That means both the label’s masters and its artists are up for grabs. Commence scrabbling, industry types!

Despite starting the episode in his boxers on Layla’s couch (heh), Jeff makes a very shrewd move early on. He advises that Luke buy his album-in-progress from Edgehill, release it on his own label and scoop up other now-homeless artists like Will Lexington. Of course, Jeff would be president of this new endeavor. And just like that, Wheelin’ Dealin’ Records is born.

Despite being courted by several labels, Will eventually signs with Luke because of some convoluted reason that Jeff knows he’s gay and “has his back” — oh, is that what we’re calling threatening now? — and Deacon advises him to lean towards the devil he knows. DEACON IS ALWAYS HOT, BUT HE ISN’T ALWAYS RIGHT, WILL. When Will makes some reference to the “big guns” courting him, Mr. Wheeler shoots back, “Son, you are looking at the biggest gun in the business.” Oh Luke, you’re the biggest something in the business…

Nashville Season 3 RecapHere’s the thing, though: Just as quickly as Luke has partnered with Jeff, he drops him, because “no one wants to work with the guy who brought down Edgehill.” So Jeff’s back to where he started and Will’s without his sorta?-ally. Don’t worry, honey, I’m sure Luke will be very understanding when it inevitably comes out that you like dudes. (Side note: When, again, is that going to happen? I feel like Will has been in the closet longer than my a-size-too-small-but-hey-it’s-on-sale-and-I’ll-definitely-fit-into-it-one-day-totally-cute cocktail dress.)

RELATED Christina Aguilera Books Nashville Arc

LAYLA IS BEGGIN’, ‘RAYNA, PLEASE!’ | Speaking of persona non grata, Luke’s got no interest in Layla as a potential artist — despite Jeff talking her up early in the episode — so she waits a very long time in the Highway 65 foyer to give her demo to Rayna. And even though Rayna makes Bucky H65’s new A&R guy (then instantly overrides all of his picks for new artists), she assures him that Layla Grant is the kind of singer-songwriter who’ll help H65 thrive. (Side note: I love how both here, and earlier when Avery is talking with Sadie, Juliette is held up as the gold standard in head cases.)

Oh, and did I mention that Layla has a plan to make Jeff her manager? And that Jeff is kind of blackmailing Teddy, who gets himself into even more trouble by visiting Natasha Ol’ Leopard Panties, whose house is under some kind of (probably federal) surveillance? Because that’s all happening.

GOOD RIDDANCE TO A BAD EGG | When she’s not meeting with new artists, Rayna is helping Sadie out of her Pete situation. Sadie comes clean about her abusive ex, then Rayna has her meet with the label’s lawyer, who advises they should settle with the jerk. So they do, and he’s even more of a jerk, and maybe that’s that? (Side note: Please let that be that, Nashville. The only reason Laura Benanti should be gingerly dabbing concealer over anything is because you’ve hooked her up with Deacon’s hot doctor, and Swoony McStethoscope has written a prescription instructing her to “apply my pillowy lips to your neck as needed.”)

RELATED Nashville Adds Broadway Star as Openly Gay Country Singer

SCARLETT GETS HER GROOVE BACK | Speaking of Hot Doc, he finds a clinical trial for Deacon, but enrolling in the program means giving up his spot on the donor list. So after a lot of thinking and yelling at Avery for things unrelated, Deke chooses to “let go and let God” by staying the course.

Poor Scarlett, however, is having a really rough time with it all. She falls apart in Gunnar’s arms while they’re both at the publishing house, and is it me, or has a full 60 percent of their interaction to date been in the form of soggy, sobbing hugs? He takes her mind off her vaguely described (thanks to her promise to her uncle) troubles by resurrecting the SAG Band* and playing a gig at the Bluebird. The song they sing, “World on Time,” is fun and peppy and I love it nearly as much as I love “I’m Not Leavin’ Without Your Love.” And the whole experience buoys Scarlett so much, she puts on her best grandmawear and asks Hot Doc out. He accepts. (*If you’re not going to give us a new name for that trio, Nashville, I’m sticking with what I know.)

WHERE IS THAT STORK?! | Juliette? Still so very pregnant, and grousing about her Vogue photo shoot. But after kicking the photographer out the first time, she tries again — nude and draped with some strategically placed fabric — and all is well.

1. Riana says:

I can only when Juliette’s gonna give birth. They can’t be holding out until the finale, can they?

• laurelnev says:

Probably a big part of that depended on when Hayden was due in the filming schedule. Hayden got big enough, they decided not to hide it, although they always had the option to pad her, if necessary.

• ? says:

Wikipedia says Hayden gave birth in early December, so I’d imagine the episodes airing now were filmed when she was on maternity leave, which is why we’re seeing so little of her. There’s like seven episodes left in the season though, so I bet Juliette has the baby in like 3-4 more episodes ’cause Hayden would have had time to get used to being a new mother by then and would have been back at work fully.

2. Lisa says:

Is there any word about Nashville being picked up for season 4 yet?

• Jake L. says:

No, but ABC has not made any renewals of any shows for 2015-16 yet. The last couple years they have waited until the last minute in May to make all their renewals at that time.

• Isobel says:

Presumably they will renew it seeing 4 seasons mean it can be syndicated

• Kay says:

Syndication is at 100 episodes, which usually happens in the fifth season. So while yes, I believe it would probably be in their interest to renew seeing as they’re more than halfway to syndication (I believe they’ll be at 65 episodes by the end of this season), it’s by no means a guarantee.

• brandydanforth81 says:

These syndication can and often does occur at 88 episodes,88 is the new syndication threshold though more episodes means better deal

3. DT says:

Can’t stand Deacon’s doctor. He is so inappropriate and unprofessional. I really hope his character isn’t around for a long run…

4. Sherry says:

Nashville recently asked for extras in the form of actual pediatric nurses, so I’m guessing Juliet’s baby will be born soon. Since they will have an actual baby on the set — Hayden’s maybe? Then they are going to require special people handling that baby, hence the pediatric nurses. Taping has been delayed by the horrible winter weather in Nashville. They were working overtime to try and catch up. I love this show ….. and hope it’s back for another season.

5. Jill says:

Loved Rayna’s 2 inches comment! Also, she and Deacon both seem to have the same style with dealing with music…ignoring what everyone else wants. How did those two make music decisions together for 25 years?! I liked the label dissolving and everyone scrambling, but I feel like this could have been a much more fun episode than it was.

6. Fx says:

Ugh, I hate Rayna’s older daughter. She’s the worst. Followed by Scarlett and Deacon. Well, who hasn’t been insuferable in this show lately. They should just focus on Juliette and Avery.

• azu says:

Thank you!!! I thought I was the only tone who felt that way!! Maddie, rayna and deacon are annoying as hell!! Juliette and Avery are my faves

7. “DEACON IS ALWAYS HOT, BUT HE ISN’T ALWAYS RIGHT” this forever

8. brandydanforth81 says:

Glad Jeff got what’s coming to him, laughed at Raynas 2inches comment .Went “oh Teddy” shaking my head when he went he exports house and she’s wearing a wire.Get rid of Luke already!!

9. Anna says:

Soooo when is someone gonna sign SAG? They are becoming my favourite musical act of the show, somehow. Their songs are amazing and I really love how all the voices go together.

10. Lerbert says:

As small as it was one of my favorite moments so far this season was Rayna telling Bucky he was now the head of A & R at Highway 65. I also really enjoy Rayna and Sadie’s scenes together. Laura Benati has such a wonderful voice–my favorite on the show. And Juliette & Avery are always a mainstay.

11. bill says:

Good to see Fordham humbled. Dr. Inappropriate has got to go. What is Scarlett thinking? Doesn’t anyone think it is creepy that Fordham is sleeping with a 19/20-year-old?

• Dmc says:

Their relationship is creepy. I am not sure if it’s her age or that Jeff is slimy or that seemed come out of nowhere. They don’t have any chemistry it’s just skeevy

12. Dot says:

Loved seeing Terri Clatk on there, wish they had let her sing !!

13. Dot says:

Dumb spell check it should have said” I loved seeing Terri Clark on there “

14. Liz says:

I’ll just be glad when they finally decide if Nashville will be back next season. Waiting and wondering is getting the best of me.
    Love the show.