Lady Gaga Joins American Horror Story as Season 5's Leading Lady — Watch Her Monstrous Teaser for Hotel Chapter

Lady Gaga American Horror Story

American Horror Story‘s next tale will feature the mother of all monsters.

TVLine has learned that Lady Gaga is set to headline the forthcoming fifth season — titled American Horror Story: Hotel — of Ryan Murphy’s FX anthology series.

Details on the Grammy-winning pop phenom’s role are being kept under wraps, but sources confirm that Gaga will very much be the star of the latest chapter, which likely will be the franchise’s first without leading lady Jessica Lange. Here, she teases it in a video:

This marks the most significant foray into acting for Gaga; her previous work in the thespian arena includes a supporting role in Machete Kills and a bit part as “Girl at the Swimming Pool” in a Season 3 episode of The Sopranos.

The news comes in the wake of Gaga’s rapturously received Sound of Music tribute at Sunday’s Oscars.

At the Television Critics Assoc. winter press tour last month, FX Networks CEO John Landgraf teased that AHS‘ fifth season would be “very different” from its predecessors, adding that viewers can expect “an unusually large reinvention in between Book 4 and Book 5 relative to, say, between Book 3 [Coven] and 4 [Freak Show].”

The Gaga-infused fifth season of AHS will bow in October.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. David4 says:

Let’s get the haters lame joke out of the way…

She should have been the star of Freak Show!

Haha. Funny. Not.

It’s an interesting choice for sure.

2. Eric says:

Whoa…that’s quite the casting coup. It’ll be interesting to see her act in such a big role, after only having seen her in Machete Kills. Looking forward to seeing the theme of next season and how she plays into it.

3. Amanda says:

Watch, I think that Jessica Lange will be involved, but just not as a leading lady. I think they’re going to GaGa play a younger version and have Jessica narrate, kinda like what they did with Asylum….all I know is I hope this season is better, because the past season and Coven (and Asylum partly) start off good, then gets stupid and somehow they recover the final two episodes.

4. Marcos says:

that’s the most unexpected thing ever

5. jp says:

I give her two episodes and then if she can’t cut the mustard it’s out of my dvr schedule.

6. Marcos says:

so the AHS: hotel will be something like “The shinning” ?

7. well looks like I will no longer be watching American horror story

8. wrstlgirl says:

Cool, I like this.

9. James says:

WOW! I can’t WAIT to not watch this!

10. AHS wasn’t really THAT good since a couple of seasons. Without Jessica Lange, i couldn’t imagine how it’ll work; but now knowing this, i think…meh.

11. Bijou says:

No Jessica Lange = No American Horror Story

• That’s what i’m talking about.

• Dude says:

Well she doesn’t want to do it anymore so take it up with her. TBH, while Jessica Lange has largely anchored the past three seasons, she’s never really been the best character in any of them. Season one was where she really shined because she wasn’t the main focus. Sarah Paulson was the star of Asylum and Angela Bassett stole every scene she was in during Coven and while Freak Show was pretty weak overall, Evan Peters really elevated the material. She’d probably do better in a smaller role where she isn’t expected to carry the show.

• pamela says:

I agree with you. I can see Gaga playing a younger version of Jessica Lange, but you can’t replace Jessica Lange and her presence as the lead will be missed. I am hoping she will be in at least half the episodes.

• David4 says:

75% of the shows she has been in haven’t been great. Everyone keeps watching because there are a few good episodes every season and then the show just falls apart.

12. Bianca says:

Yeah not sure AHS is gonna get me to watch this season. Lange’s leading role now goes to Gaga? No thanks.

13. Lea says:

Wtf?!?!?!? Please let this be a joke!

14. Michael says:

i will only watch if Taissa is back

• Wouter says:

Taissa would actually keep me from watching. Such a bad actress,

• Dude says:

Amen! She’s terrible. Don’t understand the love she gets from fans. Great, we can watch her play ANOTHER mopey teenager. No thanks.

• M says:

Yes! Absolutely agree… She was somewhat tolerable in Coven but just plain awful in Murder House… I would get headaches from watching her

• Michael says:

awful wow you have no idea what a good actress is at all. No idea! She nailed it in s1 and the dicovery of her dead body was emmy worthy

• Michael says:

yeah you really have no clue what you are talking about. She got massive praise for AHS s1 and for role in Mindscape.

• Ben says:

And yet she was in season 1 and 3 and you probably watched those seasons. Good god you are a dumbass ha ha ha. Oh and Taissa i really good she already proven that in season 1 and countless of movies its not her fault she got the shaft with Zoe in season 3

15. Yeahman says:

How is Ryan Murphy able to get well known people to work with him?

16. dcl says:

LOL I wanna see how this will pan out. Considering that RM found a new shinning toy to play with and he wont give a f**k about AHS anymore.

17. kwmm says:

No, no, no, no, no. She can’t act and has no business even trying to attempt this. Let her stick with singing her silly songs and playing dress up. Back in the egg Gaga!!!!

18. CactusRose says:

Give GaGa a shot! Everybody deserves a chance. She’s an excellent singer – maybe she can act, too. I really like her and think she’s multi-talented enough to carry this off. I’ll be watching. Just hope TV Line reminds me!

19. dvmom says:

Bye Felicia!

20. Chris says:

Sure, I’m willing to give her and the season a chance, though it’s a huge risk since she’s not known for her acting (although Adam Levine was in Asylum, I didn’t catch it so I don’t know how well he did). The only thing I’m worried about is that since she is a singer, that will give them an excuse for more musical numbers (which I hated in Freakshow).

21. Hotel, eh? Interesting on both counts. Can’t wait to see how she does but Jessica will be missed.

22. Lauren says:

Love Gaga but the last to 2 seasons, especially Freak Show, had been a let down.

23. Et al says:

Awesome!!!! (I hope she can act)

24. Tim says:

I really hope she can act!!!!!!

25. Spence says:

Am I the only one that’s more surprised by the ‘Hotel’ theme than Gaga being in it? And does anyone else feel this is very random and surprising? Freakshow took months to release the theme or any info about it, and now they’ve just dumped the theme and lead relatively close to the Freakshow finale… This all seems so odd!

26. Charles says:

Everyone hating on this casting and talking about how she can’t act, you must not realize her history. She was a musical theater geek and did lots of acting in school. She also went to a school for the arts so the acting world is unfamiliar to her anyway. One could say all she does with videos, costumes, etc. is a type of acting and she does performance art. So she will probably fit in just fine. M

27. Joey says:

While I will watch the whole thing regardless, that little “teaser”, if it could be called that, didn’t impress me. Her tone was very flat. Still hope for the best, though!

28. Amit says:

I wonder if this is going to have anything to do with H.H. Holmes.

29. Katie says:

NO Sarah Paulson and Jessica Lange this season….ship=sailed. I’m more interested in the new series American Crime…

• DYS says:

Based on shooting schedules, Sarah Paulson can still be on American Horror Story. Is she definitely confirmed to have a role in it or are you assuming?

30. kayla says:

This is horrible news. No Jessica Lange, im not even gonna watch it.

31. Lizo says:

Dammit. Now I have to watch. Glad she’s finally moving into acting, she definitely has the training and talent for it.

32. Cousin O'yaya says:

I like(I don’t) how people always act like they know everything from a small piece of news I for one will reverse judgment UNTIL I 1. know what the theme and her character is and 2.see her actually act in the episode.

Why? because she was cast by a casting Director someone who actually went to school and gets paid good money to decide whether someone is a good fit for the show/movie

the same thing happened when Even Peters got cast as quicksilver the idiot masses were moaning about how stupid he looked and when the movie came out they were demanding he be in the sequel

33. Amber says:

hmm, is any of the rest of the cast going to be involved? Evan, or Kathy Bates, Angela Bassett? Or is it a completely new cast?

34. I assume from her current dimensions that she will be a monster that eats everything/everyone?

35. ruth says:

love the American horror stories, are awesome, very creative, a lot of twists, unexpected things, very very creative writers, keep up the good work, waiting for next one for sure…

36. Emily says:

Well now that Jessica Lange is gone and replaced with GAGA this season of ahs is going to be the worst yet!

37. B says:

While I am a huge Gaga fan, this to me just confirms that AHS has officially turned into nothing more than a campy, diva-centric show. That’s too bad…it started off pretty strong with Murder House.

38. Jennifer Lee says:

WTF? Seriously?

This second rate no talent hack in AHS? If so I’m DONE!

All she is nothing but, a cheap rip off of Madonna while trying to act like Amy Lee and other actually talented Goth Artists. I’m insulted she exists for these very simple facts.

Her singing is awful, her stage performance is a joke. She’s nothing more than a gothed of version of miley cyrus twerking.

And let’s not even discuss her looks. Talk about boring. She’s just the newest “shock value” without anything of value, except ridiculous copycatting.

At least the other “shock value” artists were more original.

Like I said, if she’s in I’m DONE! Its an insult to try and force her and her ridiculous bs down our throats.

NO chances to talentless hacks.

39. lechatnoir says:

Stunt casting . Non mi pace ! . He’s trying to get her little monsters to watch .

40. jo jo jo says:

I like the hotel theme I have never liked Lady Gaga and its weird that someone thinks she can act. Remember this a TV show and not a music video. Ugh AHS has been good since season 1 so who cares..

41. Rashad says:

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! This is BRILLIANT! I love Lady Gaga!

42. dj says:

No Lange = no watch

43. ATB says:

So the hotel will be haunted by all of Gaga’s previous outfits and costumes? I love it! How much of her music will be featured in this? That’s the real question.

44. Letti says:

I’m happy for her. I’ve never watched AHS but always wanted to. I guess this will make me finally start it. Gaga’s the best.

45. Stefani Germanotta says:

to all those haters:nobody cares if your watching or not.we all know this season is going to be

46. Walkie says:

How pretentious. “Book 3”. It’s a TV show. And a very overrated one.

47. analog says:

Hotel? Ryan Murphy is running out of ideas.

48. AnnieM says:

Well, I thought she did a great job when she hosted SNL. I look forward to seeing what she can do with AHS.

• jbj says:

Thank you! I can’t believe I had to scroll through 83 comments for someone to remember that she was a terrific and natural SNL host.