Dancing With the Stars Season 20 Cast Includes Suzanne Somers, Hunger Games Star, Tank Shark, Patti LaBelle

Dancing With the Stars Cast Season 20

R&B icon Patti LaBelle, TV’s erstwhile Chrissy Snow, Katniss Everdeen’s kid sister and the first openly gay man drafted into the NFL are among the celebs who will be competing on Dancing With the Stars Season 20.

Also: Derek Hough will be a part of this cycle, jetting back and forth from coast to coast as he juggles DWTS with his role in Radio City’s New York Spring Spectacular. That should work out really well for all involved.

The ABC competition’s 10th anniversary season — which will award a special golden mirror-ball trophy to the winner —  kicks off Monday, March 16 at 8/7c.

Here are the celeb/pro pairings, as announced Tuesday. Defending champ Witney Carson‘s partner will be announced “at a later date,” but was heavily hinted to be The Bachelor‘s Chris Soules.

FRONT: ERIN ANDREWS, DANCER, TONY DOVOLANI, WITNEY CARSON, TOM BERGERON, DANCERS - BACK: RUMER WILLIS, VALENTIN CHMERKOVSKIY, NOAH GALLOWAY, SHARNA BURGESS, ROBERT HERJAVEC, KYM JOHNSON, REDFOO, EMMA SLATER, WILLOW SHIELDS, MARK BALLAS, ALFONSO RIBEIRO, WITNEY CARSON, MICHAEL SAM, PETA MURGATROYD, RIKER LYNCH, ALLISON HOLKER, PATTI LABELLE, ARTEM CHIGVINTSEV, CHARLOTTE MCKINNEY, KEO MOTSEPE

?????, with Witney Carson
NASTIA LIUKIN (Olympic gold medalist gymnast), with Derek Hough (who apparently had a change of heart/a Brinks truck back up to his home)
WILLOW SHIELDS (The Hunger Games’ Primrose), with Mark Ballas
NOAH GALLOWAY (Iraq war vet/double amputee), with Sharna Burgess
PATTI LABELLE, with Artem Chigvintsev
RUMER WILLIS, with Val Chmerkovskiy
SUZANNE SOMERS, with Tony Dovolani
RIKER LYNCH (of the band R5, if that helps), with Allison Holker
ROBERT HERJAVEC (Shark Tank), with Kym Johnson
MICHAEL SAM (formerly of the St. Louis Rams), with Peta Murgatroyd
REDFOO (of LMFAO), with Emma Slater
CHARLOTTE MCKINNEY (think: Carl’s Jr. commercials), with Keo Motsepe

Which of these celeb(/”celeb”)/pro pairings gets your early vote?

1. Can’t say I am thrilled with this cast and definitely not with the announcement they just made from New York. Just yuck.

• delfiteblu says:

For the last couple of years I’m NEVER thrilled when they make the announcement because I don’t know most of them. But then half way through the season I start picking my favorites and by the end I’m as drawn in as I ever was. I like Suzanne Somers and Michael Sam and Nastia Luken will probably be really good. I AM bothered by a 14 year old; I think that’s really too young for this show; it does get racy. And hey – what about Patti Labelle? That will be a hoot.

2. L says:

The definition of “star” keeps getting looser with each season.

• Eric says:

Well, when you’ve done 19 previous seasons, it’s kind of hard to stack your cast with tons of celebrities.

• m3rcnate says:

80% of Celebs if not more are untapped for this show…now granted its because they decline because they have real work to do, or fear dancing on national TV, or because they feel above doing a reality show (all good reasons)…but dont play it out like they are out of celebs…what they are out of is C list celebs (long time ago) and are now consistently getting D list and F list.

3. behzadbyhimself says:

Dancing With The Hough Family- Sister is judge, Brother is pro, Cousin from band nobody’s heard of is celeb. Didn’t they make a hoopla over Derek sitting this one out (leading us to naively believe Sasha or Henry might be re-upped to pro)? And they bring him back with an Olympic gymnast cuz why not??? Also, what kind of example are they setting by casting the girl from the painfully sexist Carl’s Jr. commercials?

• Juju says:

You are echoing my thoughts exactly. They may as well change the name to the Hough Family Variety Hour, just give Derek the mirror ball in the first episode, and let Julianne, Derek and Mark (he’s a Hough best friend, so he counts) pick who goes home this week. Hint: It won’t be Derek or Mark or their cousin. There’s your final three right there.

• delfiteblu says:

I agree with your thoughts on the girl from the Carl’s/Hardees commercials. They actually make me sick and I always mute them when they come on. I think it’s bad PR for Derek to come back when he said he was sitting out and you’re right, he has a gymnist as a partner. I actually wish Julianne would leave. I loved her as a dancer; not so much as a judge.

• dd says:

I love Derek and nastia and I think that they they make a good couple and should be together

• trenda says:

I agree w/ the burger chick.should not have her on there.i as well mute her also. Derek and his partner is alsome keep them coming strong

• delfiteblu says:

4. mika02 says:

All I care about is that Keo is back!

5. Kevin says:

Definitely the weakest cast so far. Don’t think I’ll be tuning in. Your title says stars!!

6. Jared says:

What a joke.

7. r0ckmypants says:

This cast is embarrassing.

8. Jenny says:

So I wonder how much they gave Derek and what place they promised him to finish to get him back. Just turns me off from watching.

9. Dude says:

Is Noah Galloway known for anything else? Not to be disrespectful but does “Iraq war vet” qualify as a celebrity now?

• Thea says:

Same. Can we at least pretend this show is still trying to live up to its name?

• Julia says:

He is a famous model and spokesman for veterans – he was on the cover of Men’s Health recently. The casting reminds me of JR Martinez.

• JR Martinez was cast because he was a daytime drama actor on All My Children, back when DWTS used to cast at least 1 star per year of an ABCD soap opera. He was actually a well-known ‘star’, if you will.

• Julia says:

I know that everyone is complaining about the cast…I feel like we do this every season…but think about how much fun each year is when we learn about the ‘celebrities’ and watch them grow. I’m reminded of the Duck Dynasty daughter from last year and how she became my favorite! I know that we all wish that there were true stars cast, but this is half the fun to see some random people do well.

• delfiteblu says:

It does on DWTS – they’ve had several and they’ve all done well. If it bothers you, you don’t have to look. SMH

• I guess as much as being gay and being in the NFL for a split second does.

• Chris says:

For what it’s worth, he’s currently the cover of Men’s Health and their Ultimate Guy of 2014.

• Alexandra says:

Ever been in a forward military location? He is an American Hero and Heroes are famous no matter what. Just because he isn’t a Kardashian or singer or actor means nothing anymore. Stars fall from the sky not just television or movies. Your freedoms should be important and that is what all your vets do for you, to include myself, a vet. We too have heroes that count as stars. Just different ones than other people may choose. Something to consider. Nothin but love!

• H says:

He fought in Iraq, that has nothing to do with freedom. He may be famous in military locations, but that would not make him a mainstream celebrity. Appearing on tv shows and magazines is what granted him the spot on the show.

10. WHY IS DEREK BACK? I was promised a Derek-free season. And he got a gymnast. OF COURSE.

I am NOT a happy camper.

11. amberreed01 says:

PATTI LABELLE!!!!!! This will be the first season of dancing with the stars I’m going to watch.

12. Belle says:

Total Snooze Fest…only 2 “stars” from that list that people might recognize is Patti LaBelle and Suzanne Somers. And honestly that isn’t saying much! Time to put this show out to pasture stat!!!!!

13. SteveO says:

Oh, God, poor Michael Sam.

• Nick says:

Usually if there’s at least one star I want to follow, I will watch. (Alfonso Ribiero, for instance) but….I have too much other TV to watch.

14. Mike C. says:

Wow. This is the most awful cast yet. And aren’t we all shocked–shocked!–that Derek got the best partner? They should just rename this “The Derek Hough Show.”

• Josh says:

It’s kind of disgusting how much they feel they need Derek! As soon as they announced Nastia Lukin and that Derek was her Partner I literally yelled out “Congrats on your 6th trophy Derek. I think he was done untill they promised him a slam dunk of a partner

15. Cass says:

Ugh, it’s bad enough they cast Rumer Willis but they paired her with my favorite dancer. I’m happy Keo’s back, but his partner this year isn’t much better than last. I think I’ll be sitting this season out, which is too bad since it’s going to be Len’s last.

16. J says:

Witney’s partner is the Bachelor.

17. Ame says:

I may actually watch this show for once to see Michael Sam. I have never seen a single episode of it, but Michael Sam? Totally. Still pissed the Rams cut him. But once a Tiger, always a Tiger! MIZZOU-RAH!

• Zoe says:

I’m pissed the Rams cut him too. (I’m a lifelong Rams fan) Maybe he’ll get a second chance. Kurt Warner was bagging groceries before he took starting QB of the Rams. I would love to see Sam back on the field, but if he wants to hit the dance floor, I say more power to him.

(As an aside, I never thought I’d see the day when I could talk Rams football in the TVLine comments section and have it be remotely relevant. This is awesome.)

• trenda says:

I think Keo needs to go he thinks he’s all that.he is nothing but a black monkey from Africa who fells like he’s better than the rest.

18. Tony says:

Here we go with the”Worst cast ever” comments and threats of not watching…..

19. CC says:

Random thoughts: Derek, of course, is going to make the finals. How can he not, since he is paired with the Olympic gold medalist. Even if she hasn’t danced before, Nastia still has the ability to be elegant and to do tricks.
    Footballers tend to be good on the dance floor – see Donald Driver, Hines Ward, Emmitt Smith, Jason Taylor, Jacoby Jones, so Michael Sam could very well contend.
    The veteran will have a really great background story and we have seen people with disabilities or war injuries do well – Amy Purdy and JR Martinez. Hopefully, he will have the dance ability to back up his story.
    Models, historically, do not do well and are among the first to get the boot. So I expect an early exit for Keo and his partner.
    I am depending on Redfoo for a couple of laughs.

20. Mel says:

Definitely gonna record and watch later to see Riker’s performances. I don’t know his band but “once a Warbler always a Warbler” gotta support a former Glee cast member \o/ :D

21. T Nelson says:

This list does not impress. And once again poor Tony is partnered with a card carrying AARP member while Derek gets the all-but-pro contestant.

• wrstlgirl says:

LOL, I get what you’re saying here but I know some “card carrying AARP members” that could kick Mr. Hough’s behind and then some. Being older doesn’t have to make you weak.

22. wrstlgirl says:

If this show got new judges I’d probably come back but Carrie Ann and her raging hormones drove me away and now Julianne is right there with her drooling. I might DVR just to check out Michael Sam, that way I can ff their crap. Go back to the high school make out shed.

23. Jacob says:

I am beyond excited to see Redfoo from LMFAO on my TV.

24. Katniss Everdeen says:

I volunteer as contestant.

25. AW says:

I’m rooting for Natasha Liukin, Noah Galloway, Patti Labelle and Suzanne Sommers! Others, unfortunately, aren’t familiar to me.

26. LEP says:

Is this a much smaller cast? Seems so.

• CC says:

There are 12 contestants. Last season, they had 13 contestants, so not that much smaller.

• BrittBrat says:

It does seem like a smaller cast for some reason (even though it’s about the same size). Maybe because there isn’t any star power.

• Angela says:

Maybe because there isn’t any star power.
        Patti LaBelle? Suzanne Somers? Certainly the best known names out of that cast.

• BrittBrat says:

That’s only 2 people out of a cast of 12. My point is that most of the other people are unknowns and I doubt Pattii and Suzanne have a chance of winning.

27. Tran says:

The only celebrity hoofer I’m really looking forward to this season on DWTS: Nastia Liukin.

28. NASTIA LIUKIN is gonna win…..enough said

• Josh says:

Yep as soon as they announced her and then her Partner I felt bad for the rest. You just know Derek knew he was getting her and that’s why he came back

29. Stacey says:

Wonder with the knowledge with no Cheryl or Katrina, having no Derek for the big 20th season worried the show and they persuaded Derek to come back. And gave athlete as a bonus. But the downside of this is for Derek, having to go to NY all the time for his show there will take a lot of commitment and would have to tire him and his partner out tremendously. So there is NO guarantee. But if he’s committed to the season, and his fanbase should take him far!

• R says:

As an FYI, Nastia is based in NYC — specifically as a NYU student — which I’m sure played a large part in that partnership, which is totally not fair at all. Sigh, but it is what it is. I’m betting the two of them will be in NYC during the week and will fly in to LA for the show. (A significantly easier arrangement than the insanity of what Meryl/Maks and Charlie/Sharna did crossing the country while they were on your with Stars on Ice)

30. Mel says:

One of the lamest lineups they’ve had for a while. Thought they’d do a little better since it was the anniversary

31. June says:

I’m so happy that Derek is back again. He makes the show. I have watched dancing since it’s beginning. This years line-up looks great and I am waiting to see it begin. Keep it going. I would like to see Kelly or Michael participate as I believe they are both great prospects. Thanks

32. Coal says:

Hi. It is Keo MOTSEPE not Motsene. Anyway I hope my fellow South African gets a more enthusiastic and welling partner this time around.

33. Jenna says:

RIKER LYNCH ALL THE WAY I AM SO HAPPY FOR HIM AND I. CANT WAIT TO SEE HIM ON TV

34. WMJ4520 says:

I’m tired of having an over 70 contestant on every show. They have zero chance of winning, but a high chance of breaking a hip.

35. TVPeong says:

Looks like it will be a good season :)

36. ABSOLUTELY LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THE CAST!!!!

37. Pérola says:

Who????
    Thats my reaction

38. Gerald says:

Never watch the show, but am always curious about who they get to go on, and this season……. terrible. Plus I too think Derek Hough is pulling a Jay Leno and I think it is a real tasteless move.
    For the record I would like to see Suzanne Somers go far.

39. J.Norman says:

Micheal Sam may never play a minute in an NFL game, but he (and / or his advisers) have certainly shown an ability to jump forward and strike while the iron is hot.
    He (they) are getting the maximum amount of $$ out of his coming out status.

40. Sheryl says:

There is too much great TV to watch to waste my time on a cast of “stars” like this.

41. JK says:

Willow Shields is 14. Anyone else find that too young to do this show? Yes she does movies & works hard and is used to production , but 14!

42. Pat says:

Worst celebrity cast ever. I love Derek but he ALWAYS gets paired with a winner. Hardly worth watching which I probably won’t.

43. Zoe says:

I’m happy and sad to see Michael Sam here- sad because he’s not playing football, and happy because he isn’t fading into obscurity. I wish the Rams could’ve kept him. -shakes head-

44. Jen-E says:

Why is Alfonso in this picture? Is he doing something with this season? 14 is too young!

45. Nena says:

From that list I only recognize as stars Patti Labelle and Suzanne Sommers the rest are not STARS!!!! Why they name the show Dancing with the Stars they should name it. Dancing with wannabes or Dancing with former celebs or Dancing with irrelevant stars. Cause the stars who had danced on that show for over 20 seasons are not A-listers or super famous actors, musicians, athletes, actress or TV personalities. They had been former actors, musicians, etc that no longer are famous or popular. The show should be cancelled I mean 20 seasons of the same thing??? You got to be kidding!!! 20 seasons is too long and that show is overrated already. Time to give up the dancing shoes for real!!

46. Ayley "L" says:

Most excited about Shark Tank Robert/ Kym pairing! Patti LaBelle! Suzanne Somers! Wish Val or Tony had gotten the Olympic gymnast though and I’d have loved to see Derek pair with Suzanne.

47. Suzanne Somers/ Tony Dovolani are the best pairing.

48. S says:

Hmm Derek Hough gets another gymnast as a partner coming in with previous dance training, and Tony Dovolani gets another partner over 60. Just another season of DWTS….

49. Sharon says: