The Sound of Music: Lady Gaga Honors the Movie Musical at 2015 Oscars

Lady Gaga Oscar Performance

When you think about Lady Gaga, you probably don’t envision a conservative nanny with an even more conservative haircut, but that didn’t stop her from paying tribute to The Sound of Music at the 87th Academy Awards on Sunday.

Gaga left Tony Bennett at home for this performance — seriously, those two are practically forming into one being, Firestorm-style — during which she sang a medley of songs from the 1965 film, including “The Sound of Music,” “My Favorite Things,” “Edelweiss” and “Climb Every Mountain.”

“I really put my heart into preparing it, and I’m really excited to entertain the nominees tonight,” Gaga said on the red carpet earlier Sunday night — and entertain, she did! (Seriously, who knew she could sing like that?)

The film’s star, Julie Andrews, joined Gaga on stage, where she was met with tears and a very well-deserved standing ovation from her fellow actors.

Watch Gaga’s performance below — you know, before it gets yanked off YouTube — then grade it and drop a comment with your full review.

1. Candice says:

I’ve never really been a Lady Gaga fan, but I thought she sounded amazing.

• I like it when she reminds people that she actually has talent. She works so hard on maintaining her weirdo persona that it is very easy to forget that her voice is special. I’m not a huge fan because of her transition from singer to personality but I enjoyed her last night.

2. Amanda says:

That was amazing. Lady Gaga looked gorgeous and rocked it!

3. Melissa says:

I never realized she could actually sing… that was impressive.

• Kel says:

I saw a video of her singing a capella once and was very impressed. You can’t really tell from her music and I’m not a huge fan of it (I’m not hating, it’s just not my cup of tea, I’m more of a rock fan), but she sure can sing and is clearly very talented.

4. Taylor says:

I just sat there mouth agape. That was stunning!

5. Noora says:

This was mind blowing! She looks fantastic and sounded even better.. Never knew she could look so.. Normal. In a good way.. Loved it!

6. Brenna says:

What a wonderful surprise for the night! Absolutely stunning performance! And Julie Andrews was just icing on the cake. Love her!!

7. Annie says:

I was pleasantly surprised by her performance but I screamed and jumped off the couch when Julie Andrews walked out

8. Dan says:

I was seriously dozing off, but could swear the voice was a playback.

• dan says:

I wasn’t really paying attention until she got to “Climb Every Mountain.” I stopped and watched her truly sing (it is a tough song). I was impressed, but when Julie walked out I was thrilled! I met her a few years ago and she is as nice as you’d imagine. A show stopping moment (along with the “Glory” performance which was awesome).

• S. says:

Remind me never to rely on you as a witness in a murder trial, Dan. “I was dozing off, but could swear that guy totally shot that other guy.” She wasn’t lip sycing. It wasn’t playback. Maybe consider a nap before the show.

• Adrián says:

I’m not was dozing off and yes I think it was a playback, the voice was flat like in a recording, in a live performance you never listen like that,

• M says:

this was definitely live, you can tell by the breathing

9. Rockell says:

Perfection. Just wow.

10. Not a Gaga Fan says:

I do not like her, but I must say, she looked good and was awesome.

11. Dick Whitman says:

Wow

12. Jared says:

Absolutely stunning!

13. Rebecca says:

She did so amazing!!! I loved her tonight!

14. Anna says:

Now people can see why her fan’s love her so much

15. wrstlgirl says:

Mind blowing performance!! I have a newfound respect for Lady Gaga.

16. CJHokie says:

What is wrong with the 5% who didn’t give it an A?

• B Kay Brown says:

They probably have no clue about the Sound Of Music or no appreciation for it because they are young is my guess. I was blown away by her performance. I grew up on that movie. She learned the words and she did that!

• Temperance says:

Between her songs with Tony Bennett and this, there really isn’t anyone that can credibly say that she can’t sing anything with the best of them. Full stop.

• S. says:

Please with the ageist comment. Plenty of young people love this movie. You didn’t have to be old enough to see it in the theater to appreciate it and no I don’t just mean the sing-along thing it’s been turned into, but rather the cinematic achievement it is. The people who voted it less than A or B probably did it because they hate all things Gaga and may not’ve even seen the telecast. You don’t exactly have to prove you watched it before voting. A tiny fraction of people click on polls and vote Fs for things all the time on here, just to troll. Maybe they hate Lady Gaga in general or they hate musicals or something. Most people are capable of appreciating talent when it’s in front of them though. even if musicals aren’t their thing, even if Gaga isn’t, hence the high score.

• Luke says:

You’re exactly right. Clearly the elder above us has no clue about what’s going on around her. People voted negatively not because of their opinion, or lack of opinion, of the Sound of Music, but rather because they hate Gaga and would vote negative on anythign and everything.

• L K says:

She was pretty good but, compared to Julie Andrews which I’ve heard so many times on those songs, I guess I’m the only one who though Lady Gaga was just a bit pitchy. Sorry I can’t give her an A.

• Katie says:

I thought she completely missed the last note on “Climb every mountain”.

• Yes, she missed the take off on the last note, but pulled out of it. With the power of the supporting choir, she should have gone up an octave on the last note, which is exactly how Julie Andrews would have sang it. The performance needed to be perfect to rival Andrews’ legacy, and that last note was not. The difference between excellent and legendary.

• Meg says:

The wild gesticulating, the hair tossing, and the constant “dancing” with her skirt is why I didn’t give it an A. Yes, she sang the heck out of the medley, but she also Lady-Gaga’d it by adding unnecessary movements, which I thought was completely distracting and campy. Therefore, no A.

• Julie says:

They’re sad!

• ab004612 says:

Here lies the problem, Hey Gaga fans, its okay if someone does not like her. Get over it! Geez you all sound like some crazy born again!

17. Dave p says:

Lady Gaga killed it!!! I’m glad she is back.

18. Tammy says:

Should have done this earlier in the show because when you clue in that seven awards are left with only 15 mins left in the original broadcast time….. some of us start to get grumpy and can’t appreciate the performance as much as we would like.

EIGHT musical numbers tonight. Didn’t start until 8:30 pm ET either. WHY WHY WHY do they do this to people who have to go to work, get kids off to school, etc.

I love movies. I want to see who wins but I can barely keep my eyes open. DVR on, Internet off…. I will watch it in the morning. NIGHT!

• Ann says:

They should have cut Lady Gaga’s pointless singing along with Jennifer Hudson’s pointless song. It would have saved about 10-15 minutes from the show (because they could have just cut to Julie Andrews introducing best song instead of spending additional precious time on applause and gushing each other). I’m okay hearing the song nominations sung, since it introduces the songs to people who might not have heard it. Opening number songs are okay to warm up the viewers to the show. But a Sound of Music song montage and a post en memoriam song should have been cut. Or use the Hudson song to recognize more people who’ve died….I’m sure they could have spared a little time to recognize Joan Rivers for her movie roles and her red carpet tradition.

• S. says:

I’d rather they cut your pointless comment bashing Gaga because you obviously didn’t even try to appreciate it. Julie Andrews would never have presented that if it weren’t for the tribute. That’s why she was even there. No Gaga, no Julie. Deal with it. The Sound of Music tribute might’ve been strange in the sense that they didn’t honor the extraordinary films of 1939 last year on the 75th anniversary of what is widely considered the most incredible year in film history. Obviously honoring Gone With the Wind and having 12 Years a Slave win for Best Picture would’ve made for an awkward telecast, but Hattie McDaniel won the first Oscar for an African-American actress in the same category as Lupita, both playing slaves. I think recognizing that would’ve been possible. I’m not gonna bash honoring The Sound of Music though. It was a phenomenal tribute and a wonderful film. It was one of the best moments of the night, esp. Julie Andrews enjoying Lady Gaga,

• Ann says:

Did I bash Lady Gaga? I thought she was surprisingly good. But no matter how good she and Jennifer Hudson were, both songs could have been cut. It added more bloat to an already bloated show. If the producers wanted them to perform, they should have performed one of the Oscar nominated songs.

• Mary says:

It was a tribute to Julie Andrews and one of the historic movies made. I believe it did have its placed there and Gaga did a fantastic job. I love this Gaga more than the theatrical Gaga but no denying she is one talented lady. For me the musical numbers are the only saving grace for this otherwise dull show.

• musicalsguru says:

Maybe she could have just sang a shorter snippet or just one song vs the long medley. That would have worked just as well.

• Lia says:

“Music tribute might’ve been strange in the sense that they didn’t honor the extraordinary films of 1939 last year on the 75th anniversary of what is widely considered the most incredible year in film history.”

They did have a tribute to The Wizard of Oz (1939) last year w/ Pink doing the honors. Did you forget or missed it?

• Ninina says:

If for Julie Andrews Gaga performance was maginifient that says it all and proved you that Gaga’s singing was nearly perfect. JAndrews is proof that what Gaga did was simply wonderful

• Julie says:

Dear Ann, it’s the Sound of Music 50th Anniversary. That was the whole point of it and rightly so. It won 5 Oscars to boot! I feel sorry for you. Do you always live your life in such a mean-spirited way? I cried because it was so beautiful in every way. The Oscars are always bloated…you’ll have to live with that but to see that performance filled me with joy!

• Chip Sanders says:

Hudson’s song was one of those nominated!

19. It took incredible courage and confidence to attempt this. @LadyGaga you are an inspiration to us all !!!

20. TvPeong says:

Lady Gaga was great. But my night was made when Julie Andrews walked on the stage.

21. Kelly says:

I knew Gaga could sing, but this was mind-blowing! Amazing performance and Julie Andrews coming out was just perfection.

22. Et al says:

She was incredible! I didn’t realize what a great legit voice she has.

23. Kristen says:

I was surprised at how good she was! Her songs don’t do her voice justice. When they first announced her I was afraid she was going to do something horrible just for shock value. I was so glad she actually played it straight and sang the songs beautifully.

• Jaszy says:

But have you ever stopped to think that maybe Lady Gaga’s songs were not built to showcase her vocals, but to showcase her style and artistic expression? You don’t always have to include runs, riffs, and high notes. Did you experience any feels listening to her music? That’s the important question. Her style of music was just that…her STYLE…it was crazy, yet simple, it was low-key, yet in your face…it was…LADY GAGA! With that being said, Lady Gaga was not hurting for anything when she reigned supreme on the pop charts with hits such as Just Dance, Born This Way, Applause, Bad Romance, etc.
      Now, personally, I’ve never voluntarily listened to Lady Gaga’s music; you couldn’t really escape her songs unless you were living under a rock. Nevertheless, I appreciated her music and always thought she had a great voice.

24. schu says:

Completely an utterly impressed. Props to her!

25. Pérola says:

Anyone who checked ver music before she transforme in Lady GaGa knows she could sing. I’m just happy she’s realizing she can be herself again. Cause she just showed how amazing she is without all the crazy accessories.

26. Tom says:

What in the name of everything good and decent does she have to do with The Sound of Music? There are plenty of women there who can sing, and they pick HER?

27. MikeD says:

The story comments “Who knew she could sing like that”, I can say I did. Been a fan for a few years and knew she had a voice. Glad she could show it to the world.

• RUCookie says:

I don’t understand those comments- she has sang accepella love at several award shows, done jazz standards, changed up classics. I doubt understand why people are shocked! Beyond that, she kicked butt tonight!

• Tai says:

I did as well. I think people got hung up on the image and never really explored past that. Her voice is amazing. I’m glad people are starting to see that there is more to Lady Gaga.

• Sarah says:

It’s a little hard not to get hung up on the image because that’s what she so aggressively puts out into the world. I’ve never gotten a sense of who she actually is behind the character that she always presents. Her music and style is not my taste at all but I completely loved her performance tonight. I also loved how she sounded as bit emotional when introducing Julie Andrews.

• M says:

‘people got hung up on the image’ gaga let the over the top image become the focus and overshadow her vocal abilities

• Ben says:

Agree Mike. Actually, Lady Gaga’s music is so technically complex that you couldn’t pull it off if you couldn’t sing – even though it doesn’t play that way to a lot of the world.

28. Diana Everett says:

Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, aka Lady Gaga, needs no smoke-and-mirrors, and no meat dresses. She just needs to sing, period. That ‘s all she needs. She is magnificent. What a voice.

29. cjeffery7 says:

ive known for some time how talented she is. im glad everyone else now knows as well. =)

30. Hannah says:

Can they please remake the live special with her!

31. Steve F. says:

We didn’t see Lady Gaga tonight- we saw the real Steffani Germonatta onstage. And she CRUSHED it!

32. Lady Gaga was amazing, she has a beautiful voice and she looked gorgeous. Good Job

33. It's Me says:

Whoever voted fail much be a serious hater. That or Madonna visits TVLINE.

34. Gwenna says:

Outstanding performance…!!! High point (along with Eddie Redmayne’s win) in an otherwise big yawn !!

35. martina says:

lady gaga was amazing! :)

36. John says:

I always thought that Gaga was not performing up to her full abilities. Fantastic performance!
    Please keep doing songs like this for us……..along with your other genre, of course. LOVE to
    see you do some albums singing and playing piano ala Diana Krall. BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. thespellery says:

Amazing! To bad she sold out to the junk she sings … she should stick to this type of music so you cn actually enjoy her voice.

38. Steve Sirica says:

Outstanding! The woman could sing the phone book and sound amazing.

39. TinLV says:

I’ll never understand why someone as talented as Lady Gaga thinks she needs all the gimmicks and costumes to succeed. The woman can really sing, and that’s all she needs to do. On another note, those tattoos were very distracting with that dress; looked really tacky. Ladies, tattoos and evening wear don’t mix !

• Mary says:

Unfortunately that is what sells in today’s music, it is not enough just to have a good voice. I will agree about the tattoos but I just focus on the singing.

40. kritterlady says:

I knew she could sing, but this far exceeded anyone’s expectations of her. It was gorgeous throughout and I had tears in my eyes when she got to Climb Every Mountain. Best of the night.

41. katedfw says:

She did an amazing job and I literally cried when Julie Andrews walked out an hugged her!

42. dman6015 says:

Not a Lady Gaga fan, but that performance was spectacular. Actually, it really wasn’t Lady Gaga on stage last night. It was really her alter ego, Stefani Germanotta, doing a lovely tribute to a legend.

43. David Allan says:

I never knew this side to Lady Gaga, wonderful, talent at it’s best…………..

44. Gwen says:

I hope that now she has proven that she has a fantastic voice, she won’t have to revert back to the outrageous costumes/hairstyles to “stand out” from all of the other performers. In my opinion, all of that stuff detracts from her true talent.

45. Bob Bourquet says:

Gaga’s performance was BEYOND AWFUL. I cannot think of anyone less qualified or less talented to serenade the remarkable Julie Andrews, who was and still is A GREAT, GREAT TALENT…..Thumbs way, way, way down! (And those tattoos! Good Lord! How trashy!)

• Ninina says:

Lady Gaga stole the night and she deserved the standing ovation. Her perfomance was incredible amazing. I did not know she could sing that good!! I even thought her voice was Julie Andrews they sang so similar. I even cried very impressive performance. Her dress was nicely tailored for the perfomance even if tha tattoos looked tacky but even her red carpet look was a bit tone down, the dress was different and had a twsit but it was toned down. This goes to show you that the excentric and extravagant Gaga we always see on concerts wearing odd and one of a kind dresses are jus that:concert performances. She look very down to earth lady. Wow impressive. Who could have thought that under all that crazy and extravagant persona we are used to see on concerts, there was this lady with a very incredible voice. Last night we did not see Lady Gaga we saw Steffani Germonatta performed. The icing on the cake: Julie Andrews walking in and hug her.

Gaga should stop wearing all those crazy outfits and really start beign herself and sing like she sang yesterday nite.

Madonna could not even pulled that off!!

Props to Gaga! She nailed it!!!

• Tattoos stopped being trashy decades ago…

• Julie says:

Oh dear Bob, do you always allow your prejudices to take the joy from everything? I suggest you pop off to the hearing aid doctor now!. It was BEYOND BEAUTIFUL!

46. Runner says:

Wow. That was magical. Go Gaga. It must have been a dream for her to meet Julie Andrews. So happy for her.

47. Willis says:

I know Lady Gaga can sing… but as we were reminded in the introduction, that role in the Sound of Music has a four octave range… beyond AMAZING. Sadly, Julie Andrews has had issues with her voice, and probably can’t sing that repertoire anymore.

48. Luis says:

I knew she had a voice from watching her playing the piano and singing, but this had my jaw hitting the floor! Hey NBC executives, are you wondering why you didn’t cast Gaga in your live Sound of Music? I sure as hell am!

49. baterista9 says:

Stellar performance marred by too much fussing with costume.

• Luli101 says:

I agree on both counts.

• bluedog says:

“too much fussing with costume”??? Actually, she was lifting it in order not to trip… that volume of fabric is a stage accident waiting to happen… she was doing what she could to avoid that… yes, I agree it seemed a little self-conscious… however, it was totally necessary simply to move with any freedom in that dress!