How to Get Away With Murder Recap: Mother?! Mae?! ¡Ai!

“Don’t you know a VIP when you see one?”

If you take nothing else away from the heaping platter of crazy that was this week’s How to Get Away With Murder — an hour that included the discovery of the previous (and badly damaged) occupant of Wes’ apartment; some hot parking-lot sex; a genuine, first-time “I love you”; and an Annalise-Nate face-off that confirmed only Pete Nowalk & Co. know exactly what TV’s hottest/creepiest lovers are planning — let it be Cicley Tyson’s exquisite, nine-word introduction to Ophelia Hartness (AKA Annalise Keating’s mother).

“VIP?” asks basic Bonnie, not realizing she’s in the presence of a Truly Formidable Woman (in a deceptively pedestrian pink knit hat and sensible olive-green tweed overcoat).

“Your boss came out of my V and her daddy’s P, so show a little respect for her mama,” replies Ophelia, a woman whose casual, sometimes disdainful crudeness doesn’t just hint at her hardscrabble origins, but also raises a middle finger at the upper-class trappings that have put so much distance between herself and her wealthy defense-attorney daughter.

But that acronym — Very. Important. Person. — works on so many levels in “Mama’s Here Now.”

Certainly, Ophelia is of utmost importance in Annalise’s life — not only because of the DNA that binds them, but because she’s one of the few folks who knows the ugly origin story of this legal superhero. Ophelia is also important from a plot standpoint, too, as her presence fills in so many of the missing puzzle pieces in Sam and Annalise’s romance, in Annalise’s protective maternal instincts, and in our protagonist’s relentless drive to win at any cost.

Most of all, though, it’s guest star Tyson who connects the V to the I to the P. In a handful of scenes, the octogenarian actress and Viola Davis transcend the boundaries of television and turn our couches into front-row seats for what feels like live, electrifying theater (simultaneously gripping 12 million folks).

Act One: A Bedroom
Ophelia bursts onto the scene, pays no mind to her daughter’s guilt-ridden, bed-bound state, and throws open the blinds. This is a scene in which nothing is spoken overtly — it’s all surface talk and barbs hinting at deeper wounds, but the light has been released, and it’s reaching into the dark corners of this house of secrets. There’s a quarrel over something as established Annalise’s name — turns out that was a moniker she gave to her reinvented self — while “Anna Mae” is just “something else your mama gave you from the poor box.” But Ophelia’s no simpleton: Later, when she finds Wes sitting at the edge of Annalise’s bed, she acknowledges the inherent sexuality pulsing through this April-October interaction. When Annalise flinches, Ophelia’s response — “Somebody’s always the student, somebody’s always the teacher — that’s how sex works best” — lands painfully, and we know the older woman’s very specific choice of words will come back to haunt her.

Act Two: A Kitchen
Annalise finally makes it downstairs despite grief over her husband’s passing and the unjust arrest of her boyfriend, then grabs a chicken leg and a bottle of vodka. “You didn’t used to drink,” notes Ophelia. “Annalise drinks,” growls her daughter, indicating there’s a woman in the room Ophelia hasn’t even met. Somehow the talk turns to the firm’s rape case — a female nurse is the accused — and Annalise’s mom posits that sexual crimes are a man’s territory: They’re the takers, women are the givers. “What have I ever nurtured? What have I ever protected, cared for or loved? What have you?” Annalise asks calmly. But when Ophelia glosses over the subtext, we finally see the frenzy in Annalise’s eyes. “DID YOU KNOW?” she demands — and we’re taken back to last week deeply uncomfortable moment when Annalise’s client insisted Annalise didn’t know what it was like to be raped. Ophelia’s next four words — “Uncle Clyde is dead” — become equal parts confession and consolation, and it drives Annalise (who’s clearly known the answer for decades) to smash a glass against the wall. “[Sam] said this thing that happened to me, what you ignore, is why I am the way I am!” Annalise yells.

At this point, it should be impossible to see Ophelia’s side of the story — but Tyson’s ensuing monologue, in which Ophelia recounts the history of her sister’s elementary-school rape, and her own early horrors at the hands of men — makes palpable the cycle of victimhood that’s fundamentally warped her belief system. “[Men] have been taking things from women since the beginning of time. There’s no reason to talk about it, and get all messy everywhere… You ain’t learned nothing,” Ophelia huffs.

“Oh,” says Annalise. “I learned ‘Anna Mae’ belonged in a hand-me-down box.” She strides back up the staircase, leaving her mother in almost the same exact spot where Sam’s corpse was splayed just a month prior. (Nice new rug, BTW — looks like something Frank might’ve picked out!)

Act Three: The Bedroom Again
It’s easy to want Annalise to be infallible — the hard-charging protagonist who never has a moment of doubt or weakness — but this isn’t the Justice League. Teaching “How to Get Away With Murder” is different from living it, and so it’s not that surprising when she plunks down on the floor and lets her mother sit on her bed and comb her hair before she leaves town the next morning. Ophelia, though, freed from direct eye contact by their positioning, begins to tell a story of the house Annalise had grown up in (“it wasn’t much, but it was mine”), how she’d taken in Uncle Clyde when he fell on hard times (that’s what family does), and how she’d seen the chronic drunk exiting Annalise’s bedroom. With barely a change in tone — as if she’s reading a story book to a little girl — Ophelia recounts how Clyde’s penchant for falling asleep on the couch with a cigarette created an opportunity. She took her kids to her sister’s home, and “That night, that house that I loved so much burned burnt to the ground — and your Uncle Clyde burned right with it.”

The moral of the story is something out of Dolores Claiborne (which, for the uninitiated, is not for toddlers): “Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do — even if all you got is a long match and a very flammable hooch.” In other words, Ophelia knows her little Anna Mae has probably done some bad things, but it’s OK — because there was probably good reason.

I know we’ve got two more episodes left of Season 1 — back to back next Thursday starting at 9/8c — but somehow, I felt like this was the part where the curtain should’ve closed, and Tyson and Davis should’ve come out and done their curtain calls once, twice, ten times maybe as the crowd remained on its feet, rapturously applauding.

(This is what we all did using our DVR pause buttons tonight, yes?) On any other series, that might be enough of a recap, but OTHER THINGS HAPPENED, so let’s examine…

htgawm-2ORANGE IS THE NEW COLOR PALETTE (FOR NATE) | A gratuitous strip-search/hose-down scene in jail proves Nate is in serious trouble (and that Billy Brown’s torso > everyone’s). And Michaela, for one, isn’t resting easy knowing an innocent black man is taking the fall for Sam’s murder. She easily slips into the role of a court stenographer named Tami and scores prosecutorial intel about Rebecca’s interview with the police (more on that in a moment), but when Annalise regains (legal) consciousness and sees Michaela at the courthouse, she sends her minion away. After his preliminary hearing, Annalise visits Nate — but their entire interaction (he huffs about her lack of genuine grief; she thanks him because “That bastard deserved the grave”) seems like it’s staged for the surveillance cameras. As she exits, she slips Nate a paper with a suggestion that he fire his lawyer — and with the number for new representation. Do I sense a fabulous Season 2 guest spot in the making?

CLAW & ORDER | The cops call Rebecca — knowing she’d spoken on the phone with Nate — and while Wes instructs her to tell nothing aside from facts, she volunteers that Nate asked her to plant evidence at Sam’s (not quite what we saw pre-Murder Night). Thanks to Michaela’s inside intel, Wes determines Rebecca wouldn’t exactly win the polygraph portion of the Miss Shifty Ex-Con Pageant, so he looks more into the whereabouts of Rudy Walters (aka the previous tenant of his apartment who left claw marks on the wall). Laurel goes to the mental hospital incognito as Rudy’s estranged sister (with Wes playing the role of her hubby) and they find a guy barely able to speak, move or make eye contact. When they show him a pic of Rebecca, all he can utter is the word “wet” — though whether there’s any credence in Wes’ theory that this is related to the water tank where Lila’s body was found seems like a stretch at best. (BTW, I know this was the week’s Big Reveal, but somehow compared to Annalise-Mama, if felt kinda small.)

Oh, and whaddaya know, Rebecca is tracking Wes’ cell phone — so his “I was at the library” jig is up. She knows he’s been to Enfield Behavioral Hospital — and he’s gonna have some ‘splainin to do!

htgawm-1BONNIE SCORES (TWICE!) | After a rocky start to the firm’s rape defense case — “find her guilty,” stutters Bonnie, before adding, “that was a slip” — Lurky McChurchmouse exposes medical lawsuit fraud (and a sexy relationship) between her client’s accuser and the attorney for the hopsital where said client worked. It barely matters, though: All we need to know is the victory results in Bonnie and Asher relighting the candle wick (so to speak) — where Frank eyes ’em in the rear view. (Ewwww… here’s hoping he averted his eyes and played Scrabble on his iPhone instead!)

This week’s other two developments: Bonnie drinks from Annalise’s vodka bottle and tells Frank (in so many words) that she knows about Murder Night; and a very drunk Oliver says “I love you” to a very sober Connor.

On that note, I pass the mic to you. What did you think of this week’s HTGAWM? Sound off below!

1. Cheyenne says:

Poor Rudy sounds like he’s in dire need of a manicure.

2. spindae2 says:

Ur recaps are great Michael. Amazing! Quite blast. Looking forward to see what they have in store for the Finale next week. Should be mind blowing!
    My money is on Frank killing Lyla but who knows with this people.

3. Jose says:

Innocent and Black

That made me chuckle TBH

4. Katie says:

I think one of my favorite things about TVLine is how you guys love How to Get Away With Murder as much as I do, and the recaps are always full of enthusiasm for the show. I loved this week, but I always do. I did especially like how it looks like that guy, Ruddy, is going to get some spotlight. I’ve been curious about his character FOREVER.

5. Angela says:

Cecily and Viola. Damn. Just…damn. I could watch an hour of the two of them alone, just talking about whatever.
    Their interaction throughout the episode was flawless. One minute I’m giggling away at Ophelia’s rants and snarky comments (the whole “VIP” thing IS going to be in the “Quote of the Week” column, I assume? That was pure gold :D), and then the next she’s sitting there talking with Annalise about their uncle and what he did and what Ophelia had been through as well and the house and I’m sitting here in complete silence. Very powerful. And moving. And unflinching. If Cecily wants to show up again on the show down the line, I am more than okay with that.
    As for other aspects of the show-I was really enjoying Bonnie this week. I felt for her with her struggle with the case at the start (though someone else I talked to posited the idea that perhaps she was pretending to appear helpless for some reason or other?), and her rant about needing Annalise to help her with everything. And then she came out swinging at the end.
    I also liked Michaela and Annalise’s little talk about Nate, and Laurel’s plan to sneak in and see Rudy.
    As for Rebecca? Yeah, that ending had me raising an eyebrow or two. I think Rudy’s reveal isn’t going to be nearly as dramatic as they tried to make it seem-it’ll tie into everything with Lila, sure, but I think it’s only the tip of the iceberg with that whole thing. But I am still very curious to see what Rudy CAN reveal about Rebecca, Lila, and Lila’s death as a whole.
    Next week is going to be insane. I just know it. This was an excellent episode, and a great way to get us prepped for the finale.

• Angela says:

*Gah. Make that Cicily. Yep. Time for me to go to bed.

• Jacob Harris says:

I agree with everything you said. HTGAWM was some great television last night. I enjoyed all of Shonda Rhimes creations, but HTGAWM won the night for me. What made it so powerful were the scenes between Ophelia and Annalise. The only detail that you left out was that Annalise had very little dialogue last night. Ophelia did most of the talking and Annalise responded to her with emotions and expressions that spoke in reply. Even the combing of Annalise’s hair was award winning acting on the part of both actresses, Cicely Tyson and Viola Davis. The only negative thing that I have to say is that there are only one or two episodes left for the season.

To Shonda Rhimes and the entire cast and crew including, production and direction, all I have to say is, “Job well done”!

• Angela says:

I honestly hadn’t even thought of the lack of dialogue on Annalise’s end until you pointed it out, but that’s a fantastic point. Indeed, Annalise’s facial expressions alone told so much of her side of the story.
        Their entire interaction throughout was just amazing.

6. justsomeguy says:

Cecily Tyson was masterful. That was some damn fine acting. Her scenes with Viola were magical. Just wonderful.

7. Lucie Loing says:

Honestly, the best hour of TV I’ve watched, maybe ever. I’m calling Kanye if Viola Davis does not win an Emmy. There are not many actresses who, in this era of plastic everything, would allow a camera shot of them with no make up and natural hair. The scene where Mom tells Anna Mae what really happened the night of the fire was heart wrenching.

• Jacob Harris says:

I agree. That scene was fantastic. The conversation may have been different, but that interaction is definitely something many a black folk have seen and experienced, including black males.

• “Calling Kanye if Viola Davis does not win an Emmy”…LOL…love it! I agree with everything you’ve said…had to rewind that last scene with Viola Davis and Cicely Tyson…even teared up…OUTSTANDING actresses!!!!

8. Jamie says:

Honestly, if something EVER happens between Wes and Annalise…. Just no. It’s just too little potential…

9. abz says:

One of the best hours of television I’ve seen recently.
    Viola and Cecily were perfection. Such raw emotion and talent in their performances. Could’ve watched them all day. And Ophelia was hilarious too. You could fill almost half the quotes of the week this week with some of the things she said.
    It was great learning more about Annalise even if it was pretty tragic.
    Paris Gellar would have been so disappointed in Bonnie’s performance in court this episode LOL!
    Glad they’re showing more of Connor and that the kids are hanging out together a bit more. I’m still hoping for another Mickaela/Mama Walker interaction.
    Had a feeling that Annalise wouldn’t leave Nate hanging and that she’d have come up with something.
    From day one I knew Rebecca was shady as hell. I’m still not sure she actually killed Lila but she is involved one way or another that’s for sure. And it’s really creepy that she’s stalking/tracking Wes.

10. Absurdist says:

Oliver may be getting into some ish that may make him a regular at Annalise’s office soon. That may not be such a good thing.

OPHELIA WAS COMBING ANNA MAE’S KITCHEN WITH NO MOISTURIZER.

That’s gonna hurt.

11. tyson ripped that show to shreds – in a good way. i loved every moment of her and anna mae

12. kn1231 says:

I still think it’s too obvious to have Rebecca has Lila’s murderer. I still not sure who I think is responsible for that, just really hope it isn’t Frank (I can’t handle losing him). Speaking of Frank, can he and Laurel just be together now? I love that pairing, and would love to see more of both of them. I originally thought one of the Keating Five were going to go down for Sam’s murder at the end of the season, but none of their storylines seem to be heading that way. I also will add, I am not into Bonnie and Asher, but I am mostly just not into Asher. Wouldn’t mind him leaving the show.

• herman1959 says:

Hmmm, now that you bring it up, I don’t think the show would miss Asher, especially since he isn’t in on the main plot point. I’m thinking that the main cast might be reduced by 1 for Season 2.

• Temperance says:

Actually, the role he’s playing at the moment is kinda brilliant – both a serious source of tension (stress and sexual) and comic relief. They’re also doing a decent job at handing out little suggestions that may make him the focus for a future outing.

13. Dan says:

Liza Weil was excellent in this episode. But it was Cecily Tyson who ruled the hour! She can prepare her Emmy speech for best guest actress in a drama. As for Rebecca and Rudy: I have no idea where this is going, but I don’t think Rebecca killed Lila. I guess we’ll find out next week.

14. cathy says:

When it was over, I just thought, Cicely Tyson just showed everyone how it’s done. It doesn’t get better than that.

15. A.M. says:

Cicely Tyson & Viola Davis were astonishing! Simply mesmerizing! I absolutely agree that the Best Guest Actress in a Drama Emmy race is over; Cicely Tyson just killed me emotionally! Also, I am extremely happy that the show gave us its best episode (hopefully it will remain as good as it was last night). Besides the aforementioned duo’s amazing performance, the rest of the episode was equally great: first time when they nailed the case of the week (Liza Weil is another force of nature who needs more screen time), & the younger cast had also good moments, especially Connor & Oliver (I am quite glad that the writers presented their relationship with more depth & without over the top confessions & gestures, which I sort of disliked a couple of weeks ago). Keep on the good work HTGAWM!

16. Cicely T is just a phenom. What a magnificent actress. That episode has guest Emmy written all over it. I really loved the play on feminism and power in those scenes. The antiquated notions of women as merely providers and nurturers countered by the justification for the murder of the uncle and her conclusion that, if Annalise did kill her husband, she was justified in doing so. This show tests by ability to extend disbelief time and time again, but episodes like this one justify my love for the show.

17. Ski-nana says:

I would love to see Bonnie be the culprit or setup…..maybe the hit on the head didn’t kill him….maybe Bonnie came in and did more. Only hokey part for me was the fall he took from far above and was able to get up, although a severe head injury can cause one to become super strength and dangerous……I know the kids are involved in disposing of the body as he was dead then but it was at the direction of the wife….never-the-less…..a lot of lives are going to be in danger of ruin. Bonnie would be my vote for the sneaker killer or at least get it pegged on her because she is a “wanna-be” and had a thing for SAM but it was fake for Sam.

• dan says:

Bonnie is still my #1 suspect for killing Lila. She longed for Sam, knew he was having an affair and then found out Lila was pregnant. She is also loyal to Annaliese so getting Lila out of the way helped her boss. Finally, from a storytelling perspective, the character of Bonnie has been quiet and dormant for most of the season until the last few episodes. Now we like her and see her growth as a boss and lawyer, so its the right time for the zinger that she murdered Lila. I could be completely wrong. If so, I’ll give up my “TV Writing 101” certificate! If I’m right, I promise not to gloat!

• herman1959 says:

Dan, I agree that some kind of really deep story about Bonnie is coming our way. I don’t know if she’s a killer but there is something not-quite-right with her. We’ve seen how she has behaved the entire season, and Frank even mentioned something about her family being weird. What we haven’t seen is why she has such an intense bond with Annalise. I think we’ll find out next week and it’s will be GOOD.

18. msann says:

Great acting and great writing, Viola is such a joy to watch….just awesome. Ophelia’s ongoing rants about Anna Mae’s house and relationship with Tom made so much sense. Ophelia gave up her home, all she had, to protect her child and it snapped Ann Mae out of her blue funk. Then there is Billy Brown (swoons)…

19. vallikat says:

Ophelia – shades of Vera Donovan in Dolores Claiborne and the line “Sometimes they’re driving home from their mistress and their brakes fail. An accident can be an unhappy woman’s best friend.” I got chills when my brain superimposed that line over “Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do — even if all you got is a long match a very flammable hooch.”

20. Lizo says:

This episode was AMAZING!!! The best of the season.

21. laurelnev says:

LOVED the ep, but I couldn’t help noticing how Cicely has come to look like Miss Jane Pittman.

22. Leeeeeeeee says:

“Your boss came out of my V and her daddy’s P, so show a little respect for her mama” ooooooweee chile lol had me laughing! Mama anna just as cold as anna mae! Also If I watched that right I’m glad annalise isnt just throwing nate to the wolves! I love me some Florel but I dont like how Laurel keeps coming around Frank then asking like she doesnt wanna be around him. Also SOOOOOOOO over rebecca(never really liked her actually) glad Wes is coming to his senses!

23. Lovin C. Tyson says:

Can you say, “And the winner is Cicely Tyson Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series”

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I know right?!!……..This was a GREAT episode Cicley and Viola really took over and yeah Bonnie too even tho. she F’D up in the opener at trial. Now Rebecca that bitch I think ever since her and Wes found Rudy’s letter she knew that Wes was going to be scooping around. Maybe that explains why she had a GPS on him. WHAT THE HELL IS SHE HIDING?!!!

24. Amy says:

Just give Cicely Tyson her emmy now….no need to wait.

25. ronnie says:

Last night’s show was soooooo good. Cicely Tyson and Viola Davis just gave everyone a Master Class in acting. And actually everyone else across the board seemed to be trying to up their game a little bit. Very well written and directed. I really hope the 2 hour finale can live up to the anticipation.

26. Vernon says:

Cicely and Viola was priceless, the moment Cicely walk on the scene, I could not move, her energy and the acting is so real, you could feel her concern for her daughter, that acting 101, I hope they bring her back for more episodes, I could watch Cicely and Viola for 2 hours straight. The other actors in that show, should watch and learn from Cicely and Viola. It was an honor to watch those two go at it.

• vallikat says:

I’m not sure if the other actors got to be on set while Viola and Cicely were doing their thing (all their scenes but most especially that last one in the bedroom) but I sure hope they were. I think they are all good actors actually. However, they can never match the esperience of seeing those two women perform their craft. It was mesmerizing TV so I can only just imagine what it would’ve been like to see it live.

27. herman1959 says:

I’m late to the party here because I had to wait until I could stop screaming THIS EPISODE WAS EVERYTHING! The accolades are too numerous to mention,but I will say an Emmy to Ms. Tyson, Ms. Davis, and Swafford and Stockstill (the writers). “Sometime you gotta do what you gotta do…” – yes indeed!

28. Kris says:

Who else but Cicely Tyson?! What an icon. Awesome. I am in love with this show and Viola Davis is just fabulous! Can’t wait until next week.

29. Temperance says:

Viola Davis + Cicley Tyson = everything. That, ladies and gentlemen, is how it is done. Hello Emmy.

30. Lucie Loing says:

How could Rebecca have Rudy committed unless she is a relative?

31. kay says:

Yes excellent acting this week by both mother n daughter characters.
    There was always something devious about Rebecca. Everyone else has a guilty conscious, she’s showing no remorse. She’s acting like a psychopath. And what’s up with her makeup? She continuously lies to wes. But he’s blind because he’s hitting it. Lesson learnt always keep business business ppl.

32. margaret says:

Just how great is cicly tyson?
    A joy to watch,a master of her craft,a true american treasure.
    Per performance was so effortless,so flawless.
    Amazing! Truly gifted actress.

33. margaret says:

Ok htgawm universe…I have a question…
    We have seen Frank do anniliese’s ” dirty work” , we have seen him do his ” cock the walk” strut around the office like he owns the place,
    We have seen him in the courtroom during trials… yet we have never seen him try a case,….just what is his job description and what role does he play in annelises life that he is there?…..just saying….

• Aimee says:

They’ve stated before that Frank’s not a lawyer so I’m guessing his a private investigator. His there to find dirt Annalise can use to defend her clients. (In theory anyway in reality the students seem to do to his job for him with most of the cases I these do all the digging and finding).

34. Juan Manuel says:

HUGE MISTAKE!!! Bonnie’s proof of the relationship is inadmisible in court. No way hacking is allowed.

35. Derek117 says:

The Annalise (aka “Anna Mae”) vs. Mama scenes were the purpose for this episode. Cicely Tyson vs. Viola Davis: doesn’t get much better than that.

That said, How to Get Away With Murder (like most Shonda Rhimes shows) is very much about personal relationships. And this episode contained the re-kindling of one (possible two) as well as my personal favorite New Ship.

First the re-kindle: the Bonnie/Asher hook-up in the parking lot (why doesn’t that happen where I park?) was spectacular. Bonnie-with-Balls was obviously taking her “victory lap” on top of Asher–and the poor boy has been begging for it for the past few weeks. Go BAsher!

Then, of course, there’s Connor & Oliver: I can’t express how much I loved the scene of Oliver in the bar with the Keating Kids (minus Asher). The looks and giddiness of Michaela and Laurel was hysterical, and I’ve watched it on my dvr at least a dozen times. Oliver has long ago earned his stripes as a member of the Keating Kids–and seeing him with them at last is a true joy. Plus a sign that Connor, once again feeling “safe” because an innocent black man is about to go down for a crime he didn’t commit (great Lawyer ethics, Connor), is ready to really commit to a relationship. Maybe for the first time in his life.

The possible re-kindle of Laurel & Frank was a little more circumspect–but Laurel keeps coming to Frank when she needs comforting: once outside of Annalise’s house, when he asks “Well can I just stand here and comfort you?” and when she comes to his apartment…but, again, refuses to go in. Girl clearly can’t trust herself around him. And, Laurel’s reluctance to hook-up with Frank may also be because of my New Favorite Ship…

Laurel and Wes. Clearly, things are unraveling real fast between Wes and Rebecca–even though I don’t believe Rebecca killed Lila. But, as Rebecca recognizes: Wes no longer trusts her. And a relationship without trust is dead. Enter Laurel. Wes & Laurel have always been sympatico: from the moment in the pilot episode when she saved his bacon when Annalise was nailing him to the wall in front of the entire class for not knowing what “criminal intent” was. Laurel’s character has always been a bit of a mother-figure/savior…and Wes’ relationship with Annalise has always had a mother/son quality, that has often been commented on by the rest of the students. Wes and Rebecca are both “outsiders” clinging to each other. But, just as upwardly mobile professionals often outgrow their partners, Wes and Rebecca always seemed doomed to separate. Remember all the scenes of him trying to encourage her to better herself–and Rebecca pushing back: “Yes, I’m going to be the first ex-bartender, drug dealer, lawyer/President.”

So, Laurel and Wes, posing as husband & wife at the hospital, may be a precursor to their future relationship. Which doesn’t bode well for Rebecca in next week’s season finale–she’s my number one candidate to die. Oh, did I mention that Alfie and Karla are an extremely attractive couple? Yes, they are! Bring on “LaWes”!

I can’t wait for the Season Finale…and the next season to begin.

36. I loved Cicely Tyson and Viola Davis together. I hope they have Tyson back soon. They are both such amazing actresses.