Doctor Who Season 9: Who's Back to 'Plague' the Time Lord?

Doctor Who Season 9 Missy Returns

The Twelfth Doctor will get a blast from his not-too-distant past when Doctor Who opens Season 9.

BBC America announced on Thursday that Michelle Gomez is set to (improbably?) reprise her role as “Missy” aka The Master.

“Everybody hide,” executive producer Steven Moffat said in a statement. “Michelle Gomez as Missy was an instant hit last year, so she’s straight back to plague the Doctor and Clara in the series opener. But what brings her back into their lives is the last thing they’d expect.”

Says Gomez herself: “Things have been a little beige since I left Missy behind, so I’m delighted to be putting my lippie back on. I’m positively dying to see The Doctor again!”

The two-part Season 9 premiere, “The Magician’s Apprentice” and “The Witch’s Familiar,” was penned by lead writer Moffat and directed by Hettie Macdonald (who helmed the award-winning “Blink” episode).

Also guest-starring in the opener are Jemma Redgrave (reprising her role as Kate), Kelly Hunter (aka the Shadow Architect from Season 4), Clare Higgins (as Ohila) and Silent Witness‘ Jaye Griffiths.

1. Luis says:

It was clear if you were watching carefully that Missy wasn’t killed by the Doctor in the Season 8 finale. I am just glad Moffat did not delay in bringing Missy back. I thought Michelle Gomez was a hoot as Missy, making a very familiar character very much her own. Given the tantalizing thread of Gallifrey’s location left hanging, I am looking forward to Season 9 premiere even more now!

2. DarkDefender says:

Aside from the awkward “add-on” feel of most of her scenes during the season.. She was brilliant in the finale. Michelle Gomez’s “Mistress” is a nice nemesis to Capaldi’s Doctor.

3. “the Shadow Architect” cool.

4. CJ says:

Instant hit? I thought she was awful. Michelle Gomez is great but Missy felt cartoonish. I’m getting tired of them just rehashing old villains and wasting the immense talents of the cast.

• GhostWolf says:

Agree. The female Master (should have been the Rani) was just too over-the-top for me (just like John Simm). I really miss the way Roger Delgado portrayed him with class and I never felt him as going over the top as nuWho plays him (though I did like Derek Jacobi’s too short version).

• CJ says:

I totally agree.

• Viv says:

Couldn’t disagree more. I thought Jacoby was over the top and manic with the sta-sta-stuttering & the eyes bugging out–just like he did in Dead Again. Michelle Gomez played Mary Poppins as a nuanced, gleeful, homicidal maniac and delightfully danced with that umbrella like a gleeful Pixie. She was terrifying! All of which reminded me completely of John Sims who scared the living daylights out of me as well because I never knew when the axe would drop. She nailed it and then expanded upon it like a true master. Got me craving Green Wing again… Malicious & delish! More please!

• Casey says:

Instant hit is an apt description. From what I could tell most people that expressed opinions online seemed very pleased with the portrayal.

• Celina says:

I am so upset with doctor who right now… that finale was the worst. Clara decided to stay. Missy in the first 2 episodes of the new season…
      hated all of that

5. Phil says:

Anyone else hoping for a return appearance from Shona from Last Christmas? I thought she made a huge impact in just a couple scenes, and her sadness in asking Clara to “just hang out” really got me.

“Three words, Shona: My. Little. Pony.”
    “I will mark you, Santa…”

was my favorite exchange of the season. She’d be a nice return to a Rose-like character, and her edge might pair nicely with Clara’s polish. I know, I’ll keep dreaming.

6. LEP says:

When does Season (Series) 9 begin?

7. JeffDJ says:

Ooo, Claire Higgins as Ohila — I wonder if this will reference in some way the 8th Doctor, as this is the character she played in the minisode in 2013. The return of the Shadow Architect is intriguing too.

8. As long Danny stupid Pink isn’t back I don’t care

9. pies grandes says:

Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is important and everything.

Nevertheless think about if you added some great visuals or videos to give
    your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with images and clips, this
    website could definitely be one of the best in its niche.
    Amazing blog!