American Idol Top 24 Reveal (Pt. 1) Recap: Even Fly Girls Get the Blues

For American Idol addicts, the Top 24 announcement episode is akin to being a kid on Christmas morning.

Over the last six weeks, we’ve flipped through our J.C. Penney and Sears catalogs — hey, I grew up in the ’70s; that was as close to perusing the Internet as it got! — and picked out what we wanted in our voting rounds: “Ooooh, I gotta have one Sarina-Joi Crowe, a Clark Beckham and definitely the Savion Wright that Santa accidentally left in his workshop last year!”

But executive producer Per Blankens is not a jolly, bearded fella in a red coat — and he has not built his life around wish fulfillment for good little boys and Sway-Bots girls.

Which, of course, means there will be tears (or J.Lo’s double dose of Visine), “Say WHAT Now” exclamations and even a few moments where some of us are ready to pick up our brickbats and torches and storm The House That Has Not Yet Acknowledged Alexis Grace’s New Single.

Season 14’s “Green Mile” — built around the Top 48’s performances at a live showcase at L.A.’s House of Blues — was not as infuriating as it could’ve been. J.Lo got the sads, but didn’t go full “I shoulda been Oscar-nominated for Out of Sight” emotional as she gave some kids the bad news. We got plenty of actual singing for a one-hour show. And the cruelty of seasons past was reserved for a single, solitary singer this year — though whether that’s good or bad, I leave for you to decide.

On that note, let me break down who advanced and who got axed — along with letter grades that, if I’m being honest, are probably unfair considering we mostly got to hear carefully edited snippets of performances rather than whole enchiladas.

Sent Through to the Top 24
Michael Simeon — MKTO’s “Classic” — Grade: C+
Loren Lott — Celine Dion’s “My Heart Will Go On” — Grade: B
Adam Ezegelian — Whitesnake’s “Here I Go Again” — Grade: B-
Lovey James — Little Mix’s “Wings” — Grade: B+
Adanna Duru — James Brown’s “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” — Grade: B-
Clark Beckham — Ray Charles’ “Georgia on My Mind” — Grade: A-
Daniel Seavey — Paula Abdul’s “Straight Up” — Grade: C+
Tyanna Jones — Beyoncé’s “Love on Top” — Grade: A
Rayvon Owen — Sam Smith’s “Lay Me Down” — Grade: A-
Shannon Berthiaume — Janis Joplin’s “Piece of My Heart” — Grade: C+
Jax — Lady Gaga/Haley Reinhart’s “You and I” — Grade: A-

Eliminated With Context
Cody Fry — “Viva La Vida” — Grade: B (I haven’t been his biggest fan, but you can’t tell me Daniel and Michael are better or more charismatic performers. No you cannot.)

Eliminated Without Supporting Evidence
Reno Anoa’i
J. None
Hector Montenegro
Zack Kaltenbach
Hannah Mrozak

Special “Spontaneous” (But Not-At-All Spontaneous) Sing-Off
Urrrgghhhhhh….WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?

So the judges shockingly eliminated Maddie Walker based on her very solid House of Blues showcase — and were all set to advance the heretofore unseen Rachel Hallack. That is, until Maddie walked in with a personal magnetism and hair situation that made Keith, Harry and J.Lo say “Gurrrrrllll.” This resulted in a sing-off — in which Rachel was told the spot that had been allotted for her was now essentially up for grabs. I don’t even care to discuss it beyond the fact that BOTH OF THESE CHICAS SHOULD’VE BEEN IN THE TOP 24. (Come on, come on, come on… Shannon’s listless Joplin impression should’ve been an automatic ouster, no?) Nevertheless, my grades are as follows…

House of Blues
Maddie Walker — Fergie’s “Big Girls Don’t Cry” — Grade: A-
Rachel Hallack — Miranda Lambert’s “Gunpowder and Lead” — Grade: B

Sing-Off
Maddie Walker — “Red High Heels” — Grade: B+
Rachel Hallack — “Son of a Preacher Man” — Grade: B+

Advancing: Maddie
Eliminated: Rachel

On that note, I turn things over to you: Who did you love from the House of Blues showcase? Who got robbed? Sound off below — and check back next Monday as Melinda Doolittle and I rant and rave over the Top 24 on an all-new installment of Reality Check!

1. Jobless says:

Cody Fry’s elimination was a giant “WTF?” moment. You could see when he came back from talking to the judges that his entire family and every single contestant in the waiting room thought he was going through.

• Lisa says:

I agree 1000%. Cody Fry should have gone through and that’s a HUGE WTF moment. I just cannot see how they could put through Daniel Seavey. Have there been complaints that they are not putting through enough of the youngest ones? Are they trying to secure the tween voters will call? Is it about the ability to brag that they’ve had x million more votes than last year? Certainly, I agree with Michael. Daniel Seavey or Michael Simeon would have been a better choice for elimination.

Not even a sing off for them and yet they made Maddie & Rachel sing off despite the fact that the two ladies should both have been put through? Certainly Cody out sang and out performed both of the 2 that went through. Bad form, PB.

• Tony says:

I agree, loved Cody!

• Temperance says:

Not for me. I said right up front he’ll never got through. His tone and style are too theater, and his look is pretty light (no matter his orientation). The bigger shocker was that he made it to Top 48.

• Timmah says:

I was relieved. I found his voice whiny and grating.

• Ben says:

I actually though Cody Fry was pretty good before. But from what we saw of his House of Blues performance, I think Michael was generous with a B. That performance sounded like a D to me… far and away the worst of the night, the only one who sounded actually bad.

• JJ says:

Agreed 100%. He’s certainly as good, if not better, than most of the guys who went through last night. He definitely deserves the top 24, and I think the top 10.

• Angel says:

Cody made a huge faux pax in performing a Coldplay song, especially one as iconic as Viva La Vida. I was watching with a friend while studying last night and she immediately started paying attention because she recognized the song (who doesn’t?) and just as quickly she tuned out because he was half-assing it. It was the definition of mediocre. That’s why he got eliminated. Bad song choice.

2. Kaba says:

Tyanna and Clark were singing for the God’s tonight
    That sing off shtick is so brutal and unnecessary. Poor Rachel
    The Daniel boy is young… but he stands on that stage as if that’s all he’s ever lived on since birth.
    Shannon… I really like that girl.
    Jax was not that great please stop gushing over everything she does cause she was not on Tyanna or Clarks level whatsoever.

• Runner says:

The gushing is *not* helping Jax. Now, she is overthinking in a bad way. That pause was excruciating. And wow, Tyanna and Clark were so awesome tonight. Daniel is growing on me – there is something about him….

• Temperance says:

I liked Jax (as usual), and I’ve seen Gaga do a similar pause, so it was fine with me.

• Ben says:

I have liked everything Jax has done too. She isn’t my favourite, but I think she has been pretty consistent and based on what she has done so far deserves to be around for a while. I think she is just getting what is a fairly normal backlash from those who actively dislike someone early because they are being ‘pimped’ beyond the level of talent they think the person actually has. Most of us humans are susceptible to it… I remember feeling that way about Pia Toscano, Phil Phil, David Archuleta, and I’m sure there have been others along the way.

• Marilyn says:

I agree. I liked it.

• Lisa says:

I’ve seen many artists use a similar pause also.

• Ben says:

The pause was pretty good. That kind of think works really well live. And don’t underestimate just how difficult it is to hold yourself back for that long.

• Gailer says:

Jax is more my type of singer, but the over pimping of her is so annoying, if I could I’d vote her off immediately. Has Idol ever pushed someone this hard before?

• Jaszy says:

PEOPLE, you need to keep in mind that this was all filmed beforehand. Jax has NOTHING to do with the way the producers or whomever edit the show. She’s just an 18 year old girl wanting her dreams to come true.
        Jax is something special!

• JMay says:

Daniel is…he’s good, actually. Really good. I would reaallly like to see what he could do given 2 or 3 years more experience. He’s better than, say, kevin Covais, but it’s just that he is so young. Ah, well, so was Allison Iraheta and Jessica Sanchez. We’ll see.

• Ben says:

I agree. Daniel is not Kevin Covais, he is not Aaron Kelly, he is not Sanjaya Malakar and he is not Tim Urban. He is better than all of them.

BUT… none of those guys should have probably made the top 24 either, and yet they did get votes from a certain kind of fan, and that is exactly why kids like Daniel do get into the top 24.

• Marilyn says:

I actually thought they could have had Daniel wait a year so he would have grown. He has to get rid of the attitude, though.

• Michelle says:

I agree with waiting for at least another year for him and while talented, I believe that it was the “so darn cute” factor that JLo has been gushing over throughout the evolution that “tagged” him as a favorite.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Haven’t watched it yet, but I am so thrilled to hear that Tyanna is still kicking some booty here (according to Michael’s grade and your endorsement, but I trust you both!). I am so smitten by that girl.

• Tom22 says:

I think Tyanna was my favorite of the night by far. She’s got voice, and heart but doesn’t need to spazz out and over do it with theatrics.. her beautiful powerful voice is the exclamation mark and she does it with attractively strong sounds.. not thin screeches or anything.

• ChrissieK says:

She was totally, totally awesome at the House of Blues…I was like whaaaaat! That girl can sing and win my heart!

• Katie sullivan says:

I agree about Jax, she’s not the greatest. The producers carefully edited her performance, VERO has the entire House of Blues performance check it out. the beginning was ok but when she attempted to belt out the rest after the pause it was awful

3. The sing-off was complete nonsense. Bring both girls or leave it be. To tell Rachel flat out that she would’ve made it if not for how Maddie took the news of her elimination or her magnetism or whatever they said is absurd. The sing-off was even, so you knew as soon they “spontaneously rethought” their decision to eliminate Maddie they were keeping her. Nothin is spontaneous on this show. That was planned. It had to be. If I was Rachel I’d be pissed. On the bright side Clark Beckham is just killing this competition. He has shined in every facet of the show so far. Tyanna, Adam, Jax and Loren stood out tonight. But it wasn’t just them, so far the Top 24 as a whole is pretty talented. So much variety of talent. It’ll be interesting how the remaining 10 spots get filled up tomorrow. I don’t get the Daniel Seavey thing, I don’t think he is so cute like JLo keeps saying and his voice is better than Cody? No way.

• I completely agree!!! I hope Joey, sarina, savion, Erica, and jelly survive. But I agree with you about Clark, Loren, Tyanna, and Adam!!! :)

• Runner says:

That sing-off thing was just cruel. Why tell Rachel she *almost* went through? I agree. Of course, it was planned and totally unnecessary.

• Larc says:

I think the sing-off was done for effect and plotted in advance by the producers. They knew Maddie would be the one going into the Top 24 before they even did it.

• jalahyacinth says:

I’ve been in a situation where I was told (3 times!) that I was *supposed* to get into a singing thing… until “so and so” came in. 3. Times. It stinks to know that you were *almost* in. I feel badly for Rachel.

• amadeline says:

That kid is coming off creepy and he’s not ready for prime time. He needs to stick with the high school talent show for now. Hopefully his voice and personality will mature.

• WindSong says:

The sing off was so planned. Seacrest just happened to be talking in a calm, controlled voice to Maddie’s parents when they “called” her back in. Bring on the drama, AI. We see what you did.

p.s. Hate to say it but for the most part, you know who is going through by their looks.
      pps to Jax: Tone that fake tan down. Orange is the new whack on you.

• Ginger Snap says:

The producers want you to remember Maddie. Shades of Carrie Underwood.

She will make the final two.

• Lola says:

I doubt that Simon Cowel could have orchestrated a scenario more cruel and unnecessary. They should have kept both of them and had the sing-off when they got to the next stage. Why tell one girl she made it then “take it back?” And I believe it was completely orchestrated. A new low for AI (and that is saying a lot).

• James says:

I agree. Both scenarios would have been cruel: it’s like either you tell someone “no” twice or you tell someone “yes” and say “oops nevermind.” Also, I liked Rachel better than Maddie. She was giving me Skylar Laine vibes on Gunpowder and Lead and I was digging it

4. JayNC says:

Yeah I could have done without the singoff. Shades of some of the crueler moments from last year. Of the ones that got through so far I think Tyanna and Clark impressed me the most. Lovey and Adam the least.

• Runner says:

I think Lovey chose the wrong song. But Adam? Hm… I just don’t get it. For me, he just tries to hard.

• darcy's evil twin says:

The sing-off was totally ridiculous. I was stunned when they didn’t put Maddie through and thought she should come back next year. I thought Rachel did better at the sing-off than she did for her stage performance. I thought they both deserved to go through.

5. JK says:

Am I the only one who finds Daniel Seavey skeevy, even though he’s 15. He is the typical kid who has been told he’s the best at everything and, though talented, he’s not humble, he’s a bit of a jerk and perv. I think the POB think he may be the next Archuletta…he’s not!!!

6. Jobless says:

Also, I would be fuming if I were Rachel. It’s one thing to make them both come in and do a sing off, but to eliminate Maddie and then bring her back to take a spot that they basically insinuated would’ve been Rachel’s is just rubbing salt in the wound unnecessarily.

• Runner says:

That was pretty awful on every level.

• Mytake says:

That whole situation was completely planned well in advance to try to create drama. The second they told Maddie she wasn’t in the top 24 I knew we were being played. I thought to myself “I wonder how long it will take them to reverse that decision” because it was so badly acted by the 3 of them and sure enough 2 min later we get the whole fake “gee did we make a mistake?” That they used Rachel as a pawn in their bullcrap fake drama, should make Keith, Jennifer and Harry ashamed of themselves. I guess being cruel and manipulative is all justified when you’re getting paid the big bucks to do so.

• Foxfire says:

Someone had the temerity to ask Rachel in her post-rejection interview what were her career plans for the future. When the disgruntled Rachel replied ” I guess I’ll be singing in f#%&&g bars” I really felt so sorry for her. Rachel would have been an exciting performer to watch on the live shows. Oh well, maybe next year.

7. Rowan says:

I thought that Lovey’s voice was super grating and annoying. I don’t understand why she made it through and somebody, like Cody did not. I also think what they did to Maddie and Rachel was super cruel towards Rachel. I don’t blame her for reacting they way she did. They basically said, “we picked you, but JK MADDIE IS MORE COMMERCIAL.” Tyanna is incredible. ‘Love On Top’ is no easy task and she absolutely killed it.

8. Holly says:

I would have taken Rachel over Maddie hands down. Too many 16-year-old (and younger) contestants this year already, and they will all lack emotional depth when the real performances happen.
    Michael, I used to dog-ear the Sears and Penny’s catalogs too! All my Christmas fantasies were contained inside those pages. I can still remember what the new catalogs smelled like:)

• Ben says:

Me too. Not because there are ‘too many 16 year olds’… like to me, thats just not a thing. I don’t care about the age only the voice. I thought Rachel’s voice was way better than Maddie’s. Maddie seems quite generic to me.

9. Lemon says:

Rachael’s tone is closer to Alexis Gomez’s tone. Maddie is in a completely different tonal category. It should have been between Rachael and Alexis, and based on what I’ve seen, Alexis would win that one easily. We’ll see what happens tomorrow.

10. “Lady Gaga/Haley Reinhart’s “You and I” ” Ha. Excellent. I am getting a wee bit tired of American Idol’s “LOOK AT JAX, ISN’T SHE AMAZING?! OH MY GOD, SHE COULD WIN! SHE SHOULD WIN!”

• Timmah says:

Amen to that. And I don’t know what her dad being a 9/11 responder has to do with anything, but there’s no doubt they’ll keep bringing that up as well.

• Jaszy says:

Like they tirelessly bring other stories up? Why are you just talking about Jax’s story?
        Jax is going to be fabulous! She’s amazing.
        Haters are going to hate.

11. Brittney says:

What do you have against Michael? I think he was way better than a C+, Im so sad about Cody, if they put through Hollywood tomorrow after leaving Cody out the judges are smoking something.
    Ive noticed that Clarke has sung a couple of songs that Matt Giraud sang on his season, hopefully his finish is better. I love Clarke. Clarke for the win!

• Temperance says:

Agreed, and then some. Michael’s used to making youtube videos, so not moving as much, but his vocal performance was an easy A-. Clark was my instant pick for season winner, but Michael Simeon is a big surprise contender.

• Foxfire says:

I was surprised by Simeon’s low score here as well. I’m rooting for Clarke and Simeon so far. I was also surprised by Loren Lott’s high grade on the Celine Dion classic which I found lacking in so many ways and painful to listen to.

12. darcy's evil twin says:

I would have put Cody Fry through instead of Daniel Seavy. That was a bit of a shock.
    I would have put formerly unseen Rachel Halleck through instead of Shannon Berthaiume.
    I would give Michael Simeon a solid B for his performance. I liked him better tonight than I have before.
    Lovey James has real star quality.
    And I live Clark Beckham.
    Still don’t like Jax.
    The end. :-)

• darcy's evil twin says:

Love Clark Beckham LOL. We need an edit button.

• deedee says:

I missed last night’s show, so don’t recognize half the names in this post. But I do agree with you about Jax. Singing to her parents last week was unforgivable. I can’t overlook the stroking of her mother’s cheek. Can there be anything more cheesy, calculated, and manipulative than that? Answer: No, there cannot be. She is easily my least favourite contestant.

• Jaszy says:

But forget about the performance for a second and just listen to her voice.
        Jax’s VOICE was flawless. She nailed the vocals. Yeah, I was like rolling my eyes at the performance too, but by no means was she awful. Jax is one of my favorite contestants.

13. Andres says:

Tyanna and Clark was AMAZING.
    I am really sad about Cody getting the boot, they should have told Daniel that he needs a little bit more time before they are ready for prime time, same with Shannon. (side note : Cody has a song “Underground” and it is really good.)
    Lovey and Loren have lots of potential.
    Adanna sounded a little weird to me. (Still like her though)
    Overall I think what is of the top 24 is pretty good.

14. JM says:

Rayvon’s voice is like butter. Tyanna and Clark are incredible. Cody was robbed. Daniel needs to leave, stat. Michael and Adanna both deserved better grades. To avoid a rant, I won’t even discuss what they did to Rachel.

• Lisa says:

Daniel is going to be the one that we know “needs to leave, stat” every week, but the tweens dial the phone at 200mph to keep him in.

15. IMO says:

If I could give a veto, Id take back Adam’s (I don’t understand his appeal) Daniel’s (He’s too young. Age aside, this show should be limited to people whose voice has already dropped) and Lauren Lott” (girl has GOT to round out those vowels! Set my teeth on edge. If she gets that situation under control I’ll change my mind about her).
    I thought Rachel did better than Maddie at HOB but Maddie did better at the sing off (Rachel made me feel better about the end choice though by being a poor loser). I was never all that impressed with Cody, so with the above 3 exceptions, I think tonight went swimmingly. Hopefully tomorrow goes just as well. (I do wish Jess Lamb(sp?) had made it though).

• Christine says:

Pretty much agree with everything you said except I did think Maddie did better in the sing off mainly because of the conviction ih her voice and eyes – she really wanted it, felt like Rachel just gave up.

• BobL says:

Rachel gave up because she knew she was being effed over. She correctly read the situation: we’re putting you in a “sing-off” against a younger, more attractive country singer that we are hoping is going to be our next Carrie Underwood. Poor girl. I’m actually glad she was a sore loser. She had every right to be pissed as hell.

• I agree with everything except Loren getting a veto, to me she has been improving ever since group rounds and is slowly rising. She is a potential dark horse!!! :) just in my opinion

16. Mike C. says:

Daniel is this year’s Sam Woolf. Adam is this year’s Caleb Johnson. How did that work out for everybody last year? I love this show, and I will never understand how these choices are made.

17. Christian says:

SING JAX SING!!! #IdolHOB

• Jaszy says:

YAAASSS! Jax is the best! Screw Clark! Screw Rayvon! Screw Daniel! Screw Michael Simeon! Screw all of the boys…except for Adam E.
      I could listen to Jax’s voice all day.

18. Christine says:

A C+ for Michael??? WTH He was unique and had a cool performance I really like his tone, and although nothing against Cody he is super boring – don’t get why you would want him instead of Michael? Then a B for Loren and a B- for Adam – how did they get higher grades, I’m scratching my head!

• Foxfire says:

Michael Simeon is the total package period and one of my faves. I loved Cody’s voice too but I don’t believe he had the charisma that Simeon has and that’s probably the reason he was cut. The judges did say they were looking for the total package this year, thank goodness, especially after last year’s fiasco season. Would love to see Cody try again next year or consider The Voice.

19. CMB says:

I noticed a singer in the background shots who was told no in this round last year. I think his name was Casey (one of last year’s Alabama boys). They haven’t shown him performing this year, but it always seems like they take a few that didn’t make the cut in the previous year. I wouldn’t be surprised if he and Savion both make it this time.

20. jerseygirl888 says:

I grew up in Central Jersey and now live in the town next to Jax; the girl is Jersey through and through. Blue collar emergency services papa and a mom from Staten Island. They move to the ‘burbs for the school district and live vicariously through their children. That is classic Central NJ. Not that Jax doesn’t have talent, but it is carefully manufactured talent. Lots of money went into her lessons and I bet her mom booked her gigs, too. She is good, but lacks depth and life experience at this point. She knows what it means to put on a good show but it doesn’t come from anywhere. I know it sounds like I don’t like her, but I do. I think her, Tyanna and Clark are the best of the bunch. Just thought I’d give some Jersey perspective.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Thanks for the Jersey perspective. Now FUHGEDABOUDIT.
      Just kidding! I’ve always wanted to say that. :-)
      What you’ve written is interesting. I also agree Tyanna and Clark were the best of the night. Some people have written that Lovey’s voice was grating. I personally found Shannon’s grating, but whatever.

21. Most of These were hot messes.
    Tyanna and Rayvon..easily the best. A
    Shannon was quite good, although went stereotypical..A-/B+
    Jax was on pitch, but kind of boring. Clark screamed, but wasn’t so boring. B

Everyone else was some variety of C or lower for me.

• jentay82 says:

Agree. Tyanna, Clark & Rayvon were the best with Jax rounding it out despite that awkward as hell pause.

The rest would get C or lower from me. I thought Michael, Lovey, Loren & Adam sounded horrendous.

22. danin says:

Tyanna even better than Clark but she&Clark took this round.Rayvon,pretty good&Loren not bad.Lovey,unfortunately doesn’t have the honey in her voice that Carey Underwood has and it’s a little too taut for me.AI prods are just swampy dogs how they used Rachel to get themselves publicity.

23. Chris says:

Clark and Tyanna were standouts. Couldn’t disagree more with Michael about Shannon, though. She has earned her spot and her HOB performance, while showing her lack of performing experience, was anything but a listless Joplin impression. She did some subtle things with her voice that clearly put her stamp on the song. I would have given her a solid “B”. There’s definitely room for someone like Shannon in this competition and I look forward to seeing if she will improve enough to make the next cut.

24. Larc says:

Afraid I couldn’t grade Jax as high as A-. That pretentious and ill-conceived pause fell totally flat, IMO.

• Guest judging Idol says:

Jax is a bore, that pretentious tan, way overdone,,,her family, she makes me want to puke.
      And I am so sick of having her “pitched” at us…go home Jax go home

25. Jeffrey Kersey says:

I think they made the right decision with Maddie. Her performance had more clarify in her voice than Rachael

26. kevstar says:

Those two girls were exactly matched, however I knew that Maddie, the thinner one would get picked. It’s supposed to be about singing, but looks almost always play into the judges choices.

• Foxfire says:

Well, this is Idol, not The Voice. The judges said they were looking for the total package this year and apparently didn’t feel Rachel achieved that status.

27. Lemon says:

Raise your hand if you are excited to hear Katherine Winston sing tomorrow! After hearing that Wild Horses clip, I really can’t wait to hear something else.

28. Jim D. says:

Pretty evident that they’re casting for a show and wanting diverse ages and styles. Don’t always agree w/your analysis, but this time, it’s pretty spot on. Beck ham ha some soul kick w/o that cliche’ feel that we’ve seen on a The Voice for the last two years. Most of the other top singers are women. Good job.

29. Phil Story says:

You did Rachel dirty,dirty,dirty!!
    You illeminated Maddie and it was Rachel spot. Shame on you there judges. Glad the voice starts soon so I have a choice which judges to watch …..shame on ya !!

• MC says:

You can say that both shows make “casting” decisions, but AI has been rather transparent about it in the last two seasons. They have cast aside some good singers because they didn’t fit into a certain niche.

30. LeahKittyS says:

I can understand everyone’s shock about some of these eliminations, but I stopped being surprised about anything that happens before the voting rounds. I’ve been watching long enough to know that the judges and producers don’t cast for talent, they cast for characters. As soon as they said no to Maddie, I knew there was a twist coming. Cute, young blond girl with confidence and presence, no way they were letting her go. But still, I’d be as pissed as Rachel was if I were in her shoes. So far it looks like a good Top 24. Let’s see who holds up when they hit the live stage.

• Ben says:

Exactly Leah – or, at least, for a balance between voices and characters, a balance between skin shades, a balance between age groups. If the two best singers in the competition were both the same age, gender, race, style and had similar tones, one of them would not make the top 24, despite being the second best singer.

This is why it’s a waste of time being confused or frustrated over people like Adam or Daniel making it in when they clearly fill a particular ‘slot’ that was going to be filled by someone of their type, and it’s not like there was anyone we saw that was better within those types. Instead we should just be excited that we are getting some very interesting and diverse talent in there as well.

• Tom22 says:

Well said Ben. We do seem to be getting good talent with good presence and a bit of spunk in each of the “roles”. If there was a weakness I’d say it was in the country segment but I think they might want to keep the road a little more clear for Riley who might lose out to vote splitting among country fans if there were a “good ol’ boy” in the mix or maybe even a stronger more charming country girl (not that Maddy is bad but she doesn’t quite have the polished charm of Kelly Pickler, Lauren Alaina or even a Skylar or Janell Arthur. Are there any country girls left for Thursday with a warm charm to them ? I think it’s kind of odd that they’re missing that.

• Meme says:

This should never be about types! It should be about the voice and the ability to perform that voice in a way that makes people want more and more of hearing and seeing that! and buying their records … and going to their concerts … because oh my gosh, they have a voice that makes me feel inspired!

• LeahKittyS says:

I won’t disagree with you on that. But this isn’t just a musical platform, it’s also a TV show, and the producers feel the need to cast people they think will make good “characters” for the “story” they are trying to write.

31. Jules says:

Rayvon? Chills! Teyanna? Chills!!! She’s so frickin dope. I love her. Really liked Clarke as well. Just waiting to see about Savion and the awesome guy from NO with the hair. Forgot his name. Quentin??

32. BobL says:

Am I the only one who thinks Clark overdid it quite a bit with “Georgia On My Mind” tonight? I generally like the guy, I really do. But he’s got to learn to down down the growls and the over-dramatizing. Ray Charles didn’t even jazz the song up that much. I did not find his rendition all that pleasant to listen to.

• BobL says:

“tone down”

• Temperance says:

I thought it was pretty perfect – as usual.

• Timmah says:

I thought it was insufferably overblown.

• Tom22 says:

Me too. I’m not a fan but, other people seem to like him a lot and don’t like the personalities I find entertaining so, I ‘m glad those people have someone they like.

• Ginger Snap says:

Clark Southern white male. He will win.

• Timmah says:

Unfortunately I think you’re right.

• Jaszy says:

That CAN’T happen! Clark will not win. He cannot win.
            This show has unfairly favored boys over girls. It’s ridiculous. The two most famous people to ever come from this show HAVE been FEMALE!
            I just think, in general, that females have better voices than men. So it irks me to see everyone talking about how fabulous Clark and Rayvon and Daniel are, but really most of you on here only like them because they are cute.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I greatly enjoyed his performance, but I can see why someone would have your criticism. The only thing I’d add is toning down an overblown performance that happens to be very well sung is much easier than inflating a lifeless performance that happens to be very poorly sung. I have a feeling he’ll be around for awhile.

• Ben says:

I loved it. But I find the ‘the overdid it’ thing overdone. It’s not like Clark or Jax or anyone was overdoing the runs, holding glory notes for ever or anything. Nope, they were just showing their wares. I don’t want a show of 24 Rayvon’s, whose tone is stellar but who has never yet endeavoured to do anything surprising or interesting.

33. AlyB says:

I wish both Rachel & Maddie had gone through. That really was unconscionably cruel. My favs so far are Tyanna, Jax & Clark. They have me excited to see what they will do next. I hope Daniel gets the boot in the first vote. The kid makes me cringe and I just don’t want the producers pushing him on us as some heartthrob. He doesn’t belong there full stop. This has the makings of a decent season so far. Just hope tomorrow’s results round out the guys a bit more.

34. Brandy says:

Slow clap for Rayvon.

35. Puchinsmom says:

I agree with so many that Clark and Tyanna were standouts. I like Jax, mostly. I know this is weird, but I find Rayvon boring. I know he’s got a nice voice, but I get impatient when he sings. And he always looks and sounds the same. He needs to shake it up a bit for my liking. I hope he does.
    I know there are alot of really great singers for tomorrow night. I am nervous for my favorites. There’s not enough room for them all to make it.
    And btw, Rachel really wasn’t such a poor loser. I think she was justifiably shocked and angry. They don’t ever tell one person the things they told her the way they told her.
    If they were crowning the the winner tomorrow, I’d vote for Clark in a red hot second. Easily the best.

• Simon says:

Totally agree with everything you said. My top 2 at this point are Clark and Savion. I find Rayvon extremely overrated. Something about his voice and stage presence just screams “cheesy” to me. Like a weird cross between Danny Gokey and Spencer Lloyd. Completely rubs me the wrong way.

• Bonnie A. says:

Completely agree

36. Simon says:

That sing-off was pointless, since Emily Brooke has a lot more star potential than either of them anyway. Maddie is pretty and on-key, but that’s about it. Kinda pageanty. Emily is less polished, but there’s just something special about her. She’s the type of contestant that they tried (and failed) to make Rion Paige out to be on the X factor.

37. Bohr says:

Cody was majorly robbed. He’s one of my favorites. Poor Rachel. I’m not a fan of either Maddie or Rachel but that was uncalled for. Side note: I don’t get the love for Maddie. I don’t see or feel anything in her eyes when she performs. And Clark, God Almighty. Ooh, his voice sends shivers down my groin every time. I want to do things to him & for him that are not appropriate to mention in the comments section. Sigh. I’m in love.

• Jaszy says:

Honestly say that because he is attractive, that’s one of the main reasons why you like him. Because he’s cute. Not because he’s talented.
      If Clark’s voice was on someone who most people would agree to be less attractive, would you still want to “do things to him and for him that are not appropriate to mention in the comments section?”
      This just leads me to think that most of the people on here talking about Clark and Rayvon and to a lesser extent Daniel (due to his age) are just interested in them mainly due to their looks.

If you ask me, Adam E. has just as good of a voice as any of the dudes I mentioned, barring Daniel (can’t stand him or his weak voice), YET no one is talking about him because he doesn’t have the LOOKS to back up his amazing voice.

And of course, most girls tend to not vote for other girls because of whatever nonsense, so of course there’s no girl power! That’s why people tend to hate on the girl competitors.
      That’s why boys are clearly favored on these singing competition shows.
      Look at last season of the Voice: all male finale when the girls (SUGAR JOANS on top) were clearly better than the boys.
      It’s so unfair.
      I’m sick of all this testosterone!

38. Mayra says:

man! gotta love just how much you love Haley R., hahaha.

• Jaszy says:

I will never get tired of saying that Haley Reinhart should’ve won season 10!
      Still one of the best contestants of all time!

39. Francesca Davey says:

I think their decision was poor. Very unprofessional and uncaring. The judges are adults and should be ashamed of themselves. Both girls should have made it through. They were both talented enough to go through and let American decide. What a hurtful thing to do. Do they have no compassion for human feelings? I guess not! This is regarding American idol Maddy vs Rachel. February 18 th

40. Fernando A says:

I just hope Emily Brooke makes it through!!!! And hopefully they’ll come up with a wild card or something to bring Cody Fry back!!! that guy has an incredible talent!!

41. Chloe says:

Harry is a complete jerk! The fact that anyone thinks this guy should have the right to say anything to young artist is sick and twisted. The sing off was wrong!!!!!!!!!! Rachel out sang that girl on a live stage. Not fair! Then the explanation and handling was ruthless. If there is karma then Keith, Jen and Harry have a whole bunch of bad stuff coming there way and I can’t wait to hear about it

• Timmah says:

I doubt it was KJH’s decision. The whole thing smacked of producer intervention to me.

• Tom22 says:

I agree, and the judges were having a very hard time playing the role. It was an awkward and pointless script they were given. Yet, thank you thank you producers for giving us so little of that contrived dram which has taken a whole 1 hour episode full of it most years. I remember the snide Simon and moronic Randy toying with poor kids emotions drawing out giving their conclusions for about 3 times as long as the small teasing of the winners they had this year.

42. Smokey says:

Just happened to see the J. Lopez with Iggy Azalea twerking booty video, on another TV review site— – what was she thinking? Oh well, guess it sells. And, if America doesn’t vote Jax into the top 5 girls — might we expect she will somehow be a Judges “wild card pick” to make a top 13?

43. Jill Moy says:

Well 5th time trying to comment, Others were long. I will make it short! I only picked 4 from start..3 in, Savion to go. Picked the 2 bkack girls with ANNA in their names and Maddie as well! As usual, excellente! Cody was a big stiff with no personality and Jax is a joke. Daniel is two young and akso, like Jax, not worthy!

44. Kate says:

Did that INSUFFERABLE CHILD steal Andrew Garcia’s Straight Up arrangement? I CAN. NOT. WITH. HIM.

45. Kate says:

Jax is going to disappoint and annoy in coming weeks.

• MC says:

This is another example of a “casting” decision. For instance, I think Jaq Mackenzie was every bit as good as Jax, but she was shown the door without much explanation. Tara Honda and Ellen Petersen were easily more talented than Jax, but they didn’t have as much “personality” as Jax. Maddie may also have been a casting decision, but at least she is very talented.

• Ben says:

When was Jaq shown the door? I must have missed it. I saw her, but I never saw her get told she hadn’t made it.

• Jaszy says:

Okay, I agree with you about Ellen Peterson. I thought that girl had the potential to win this show. Yet, we never saw her sing again. I really hope she comes back or either goes on the Voice. She was TOO GOOD to pass up. I just can’t believe some of these judges’ decision. Forget about the quotas…and just pick the BEST people. Ellen was one of the best! Her and Jess Lamb…who I don’t even want to get into how unjust her elimination was. The nerve of those judges denying such greatness in Ellen and Jess! Hmpff!

46. Jill Moy says:

Anyway my comments don’t post! Well, I usually pick 2 and place 1 or 2. I picked 4 this year. I’m sure they’l all go top ten and 2 will go 1-2! I tried posting so many times I may repeat my self….sorry if I did!

47. Jay says:

Uhmmm…how exactly is Jax and Clark both an A- ???? Ya dig that dramatic pause, Slezak?

48. karenb says:

Crack me up abou the Penney’s and Sears Christmas catelogs! Was right there with ya Slezak!

My top 4 so far: Jax, Clark, Savion and Rayvon.

49. Hunter says:

I thought Maddie’s House of Blues performance sounded like a trainwreck, so I was irritated when they put her through the sing-off based on looks.

• MC says:

They didn’t do that. Maddie was on the show last season as Madisen Walker and she nearly made it into the top twenty. Maddie can’t help it that she’s pretty. AI knows that she can be someone special. The sing-off was an unnecessary bit of drama, though.

50. Anise says:

Eh, not invested enough to be upset about too much of what happened, but that sing-off was nonsense. I think the girl who went home, Rachel, who was originally supposed to go through, was better. Maddie is good, but Rachel’s voice has more depth. Also, why would a country singer ever pick a Fergie song? I’m fearing some laughable song choices from Maddie in the future.

• MC says:

Why is Maddie being pigeonholed as a country singer before we even reach the live shows? I think it’s ludicrous to label very young singers at this stage of their development. Country might be best for her, but everyone is allowed to experiment. That’s part of the growth process.