Amazon Orders to Series Man in High Castle and 4 Others, Renews Mozart

Man in High Castle

Amazon has ordered to series five of its 13 latest pilots, after factoring in as it does subscriber response to the first episodes (which became available for streaming on Jan. 15).

The streaming service also picked up the comedic drama Mozart in the Jungle for Season 2.

“During the latest pilot season, Amazon customers made The Man in the High Castle our most watched pilot ever,” Amazon Studios VP Roy Price said in a statement. “These new series, including our first docu-series (The New Yorker Presents), are some of our most ambitious to date and I’m looking forward to their premieres in the future.”

In addition to the kid-centric series The Stinky & Dirty Show and Just Add Magic, Amazon’s series orders include:

THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE | Based on Philip K. Dick’s award-winning novel and penned by Frank Spotnitz (The X-Files), this drama asks what would have happened if the Allied Powers had lost World War II, picking up the action 20 years afterward. The cast includes Alexa Davalos (Mob City), Luke Kleintank (Pretty Little Liars), Rupert Evans (The Village), Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (Mortal Kombat Legacy), Joel De La Fuente (Hemlock Grove), Rufus Sewell (Eleventh Hour) and DJ Qualls (Z Nation).

MAD DOGS | This hour-long dark comedy/UK adaptation, whose EPs include Shawn Ryan (The Shield) and Marney Hochman (Last Resort), follows the reunion of a group of underachieving fortysomething pals who are all at different crossroads in their lives. The cast includes stars Steve Zahn (Dallas Buyers Club), Billy Zane (Titanic), Romany Malco (Weeds), Michael Imperioli (The Sopranos) and Ben Chaplin (The Truth About Cats and Dogs).

THE NEW YORKER PRESENTS | America’s most award-winning magazine comes to life in this half-hour docu-series, whose offerings include a short film starring Alan Cumming (The Good Wife) and Brett Gelman (Go On); a poem by Matthew Dickman narrated by Andrew Garfield (The Amazing Spider-Man); a documentary about biologist Tyrone Hayes, directed by Jonathan Demme (The Silence of the Lambs); and an interview with performance artist Marina Abramović.

Did you get a chance to sample any of the above? Is anyone disappointed to not see the pilots Down Dog, Cocked, Point of Honor or Salem Rogers make the cut?

1. analog says:

So happy for Mozart in the Jungle!

• The Beach says:

Mozart was one of the most delightful and enjoyable series I have seen lately. Lots of my friends that live/lived in NYC especially liked it. So glad they re-newed it.

2. Lani says:

So HAPPY and EXCITED about the pick up for The Man in High Castle! I really enjoyed the pilot. When I read the synopsis I thought it was going to be a stupid show with no real meaning. I’m really glad I was wrong. It was well written and acted beautifully. I’m in love with the concept and cannot wait to see what happens next.

Also I may be 25, but I’m also happy Just Add Magic got picked up as well. It’s a nice and interesting show for kids. I did enjoy it and if I had children of a certain age, I would let the watch it.

3. Winnie says:

I’m glad about some of these choices (especially The Man in the High Castle… and Just Add Magic for the munchkins), but I was hoping the younger-skewing show Table 58 would make it. I watched it with some teens and tweens and they enjoyed it. Maybe because it felt like we were watching a mixture between Ned’s Declassified School Survival Guide and Community.

4. Caro says:

Any news on Alpha House yet?

5. Now let’s hope they don’t cancel “Man…” like they did The After.

6. rarefied says:

I was hoping the Steve Zahn pilot would get picked up because I can’t stand his character and his family on Modern Family (so much so that I haven’t watched since before X-mas).

7. James says:

So happy they picked up
    Man in High Castle
    And
    Mad Dogs
    Love
    Mozart and Alpha house

8. GeoDiva says:

Watching Mozart in the Jungle now. So glad to know there will be a season 2.

9. mika02 says:

Yay Mozart love that show

10. caprigirl60 says:

So glad they picked up Man in the High Castle. The pilot was excellent-I loved it.

11. lululime says:

It took me a while to warm up to Mozart, but Gael is so effortlessly endearing (the way he says “Haaiiyyy laay”). Also when that guy started singing Chandelier.

12. gina says:

Is Ben Chaplin playing the same character he played in the UK version of Mad Dogs?

13. I watched Down Dog and thought it was something different for Amazon, but they can totally go with something different.

14. Matty says:

I did NOT like Mad Dogs or The Man In the High Castle.

15. Matty says:

So does this mean no series orders for Cocked, Salem Rogers or Down Dog?

16. DavidSask says:

I don’t get the appeal with Mozart but great for the fans who do! The orders to series were smart choices except for Red Oaks a huge WTF! Which by the way was not mentioned?

17. DavidSask says:

Will Mad Dogs be filmed where the pilot was or will be that too expensive?

18. nerdrage says:

Hurrah for MitHC! Not just the most viewed pilot ever, but its gotta be one of the highest rated, 4.8 out of 5.

19. analog says:

Still no word on The Cosmopolitans?

20. brandi says:

Yay for Stinky and Dirty! My son will be so excited and I will be so excited to not have to watch the same 12 minute episode over and over and over and over again.

21. Kate says:

I enjoyed Point of Honor. I’m disappointed that it didn’t make the cut.

22. Vincent Ciufo says: