Pretty Little Liars Recap: Men in Trees

Pretty Little Liars Recap

Among the strangest reveals from Tuesday’s Pretty Little Liars: Mike and Mona are apparently the Angelina Jolie and Billy Bob Thornton of Rosewood.

After Aria’s little brother flipped out — and flipped a table, Teresa Giudice-style — she put Andrew on his trail, eventually discovering that Mike was hiding a vial of Mona’s blood in a tree.

And things didn’t get any less weird when she confronted him about it; Mona apparently plotted to frame Alison for her murder, then gave a vial of her blood to Mike as a promise that she’d come back someday. But weeks later, even Mike is willing to admit that Mona’s plan failed, and that someone else killed her for real.

Or did they? (No, seriously. I don’t care how many times we’re told that Mona is dead. A part of me will always wonder…)

Pretty Little Liars RecapLIARS IN TIARAS | Meanwhile, Hanna spent the hour learning what we all knew deep down inside: She’s just too angry to be a beauty queen. After hiring a coach and having Emily choreograph a “Bang Bang”-in’ dance routine, Hanna was told that she’s simply not pageant material. Miz Fields, on the other hand, apparently has exactly what it takes so succeed in the pageant world, so she decided to enter the competition and win the tuition money for Hanna. Of course, entering the contest will also give Emily a much-needed break from all the drama in her life; she finally met Talia’s husband Eric, who’s under the impression that she and Emily were merely a one-time thing. (And is anyone else getting crazy vibes from Talia? Like, single-white-female crazy? I’m concerned.)

OUTLAWS OF LOVE | The only thing more uncertain than Spencer’s future as an international art thief is her future as Toby’s girlfriend. After helping Johnny break into a local art gallery to steal back their little vandalism project — it was submitted by an “A”nonymous donor — the Hastings’ house guest was promptly arrested by Officer Toby. Not only did this create major friction between Spencer and her boyfriend, but it also ended Jonny’s stay in their barn. Oh well, at least Spencer will have that kiss to remember him by! (Seriously, though, why did Spencer think Toby would let Jonny go? Doesn’t she know what breaking and entering, not to mention stealing, is? And she’s supposed to be the smart one!)

PLL fans, are you bracing for a Spoby split? Will Emily’s plan to help Hanna backfire? And, most importantly, do you think Mona could still be alive? Drop a comment with your thoughts and theories below.

1. Riana says:

I can’t help but wonder if they only had permission to use Jessie J’s vocals for that song.

2. jaclyn says:

I do not think Spencer and Toby will split. Toby is clearly staying away from her because of tanner and tried to tell her that in tonights episode. The only thing that can and will break them up is if Spencer doesn’t realize that and falls for johnny. Emily is an amazing dancer and beautiful too she will definitely win if she can put up with whatever A throws her way. As for Mona being alive I have no idea could go either way.

3. K says:

I too am concerned about Talia. Something about her has been off from the beginning.

4. Milesh says:

Talia is so creepy. At least now Em can see that Ali is innocent. #Emison

5. gotasecret says:

anybody else find spencer and this johnny guy’s arc boring? I could get on a Aria and Andrew train, he’s hot.

• Cas says:

I do! It makes Spencer look sort of dumb I feel. She is supposed to be the smart one yet she is committing crimes all the time. Plus Johnny seems shady. I actually like Aria and Andrew too. They are cute together.

• riandyliu says:

Yes. Aria and Andrew are more interesting than three seasons of Ezria I guess. But Andrew just screams the next “A-suspect”.
      I enjoy Spencer’s mini arc. But the actors clearly don’t have chemistry. Should have cast another actor then maybe we could buy this arc more.

6. mc says:

Wow, Ashley Benson. Wow.

7. steroline says:

omg yay my mona theory was right
    I still think mona is alive, if not what happened to the blood? the police would have seen it in her fridge during the investigation…
    And about her not meeting mike could be just because shes afraid of being caught. I mean, seriously, it took ali 4 and a half seasons to leave her hiding spot. i love mona so dont pop my bubble of hope :-*

• Alex says:

We don’t know for sure if she is alive.. We did see her dead body in an A scene in previous episodes.. Maybe Mona has a twin?!

8. Erin2 says:

Hanna is “A”!! Remember how she was so into Mike’s new weights when they were searching his room, then at the end “A” went into Mike’s room and went straight for the weights again!!

9. spu says:

I love jonny and spencer!!! Its a nice change! And they have a ton of chemistry!

10. Alex says:

I would like to point out, at the end of episode 20, in the ‘A scene’, if you keep pausing it until the mirror you comes up, and you look into the mirror.. It looks like an Alison Mask… A could of been one of the people in previous episodes wearing an Alison mask, including the ones revealed. It could of even been Mona in Mike’s room, after all, she admitted to being on the Ghost Train with the mask on, and having the mask under her bed while at Radley. Or maybe Alison’s twin (if she has one), could be the real A, known as the ‘Uber A’, but the other A members might of never met A face to face, so still don’t know who he/she is. I hope I’m not the only person who has figured out the whole Alison mask in the mirror thing.

11. anastasia says:

I think mona is dead. We did see her dead body, and I don’t think ali is A cause it’s too obvious. And I love johnny but I will always be a spoby shipper.

12. I think they should know what really happened to Mona.