Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Good Wife, Once, Supernatural, Grey's, Bones, Reign, Constantine, Mentalist and More

Good Wife Kalinda Exit Storyline

Who on The Good Wife is doing a double take? What does Cain’s comeback mean for Supernatural? What brings back Once Upon a Time‘s Robin? Is a new hunk just what the Grey’s docs ordered? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

When in the world is The Good Wife coming back? Please give me some scoop. I need it in my life. –Bryan
The acclaimed CBS drama returns March 1, with – not surprisingly – a highly entertaining episode in which:
1) Lemond Bishop finally calls in that favor from Kalinda (and while it’s nothing you might predict, it portends to have lasting repercussions)
2) Dylan Baker gets to play a dual role, to very amusing effect, while Laura Benanti returns as the cunning Colin Sweeney’s current, delicious catch
3) Kindly Ed Asner guest-stars as a PAC contributor who’s full of surprises, ultimately leading Alicia and Frank Prady to mull ending their congenial “back channel” arrangement, and
4) You even somehow get a Toby Ziegler mention!

Any chance I could get some scoop on my favorite Once Upon a Time character, Robin Hood? –Nicole
As previously hinted (and despite how Season 4A ended), Sean Maguire will be back in some capacity this spring as Regina’s soul mate. “And for the uber-observant fans,” series cocreator Adam Horowitz hints, “we’re going to shed some light on just why he might have looked different and not had a tattoo in Season 2” — that is, back when the role was was originally played by Tom Ellis. (Do I smell a Dr. Kelly Nieman crossover?)

Do you know if we will see Emma’s childhood friend Lily on Once Upon a Time again this season? –Dee
Horowitz was a bit less forthcoming on that topic, offering only the teasey, “We sure hope so!” UPDATE: Horowitz has since tweeted out this title page for Episode 19:

I keep hearing rumours that NBC is shipping Constantine over to Syfy as the more source-hugging Hellblazer. Are the fans just clutching at straw houses built on quicksand, or might we just see this darker-toned series come into being? –Katie
I followed this lonnnnnng breadcrumb trail to its original source, and then did some asking around on my own, and the short answer is no, there is zero truth to the rumor that Syfy will ride to Constantine‘s rescue, if need be. (Sorry, just the messenger!)

Can you give us the last ever Mentalist spoiler? –Sal
That’d be fitting, since I happened to be granted Bruno Heller and Robin Tunney’s last ever Mentalist interview, pegged to this Wednesday’s double-episode finale. So here goes: Before Jane and Lisbon can even entertain the idea of heading down the aisle, they first must outwit the psychic-obsessed serial killer dubbed Lazarus. “It’s not someone you’ve met before,” series creator Heller assured me. “And as Robin pointed out to me, I don’t think we’ve done any other serial killers over the years as strongly as this one, except for Red John, so it’s very much a ‘full circle’ kind of event.”

I was hoping for any scoop you might have on Stalker? –David
Episode 19 of CBS’ yet-to-be-renewed freshman drama will introduce Detective Ryan, a recurring character described as smart, handsome, tech-savvy and charming, and boasting a big sense of humor. Working out of a similarly specialized unit of the LAPD, he will help the TAU with a big case.

Will Sam meet Cain in this week’s Supernatural episode? Is there going to be a parallel between Cain/Abel and Sam/Dean? –JJ
The Winchesters will certainly be hoping that Cain can help them out with their Mark problem. “Let me say this: I think the episode with Cain is really great,” executive producer Jeremy Carver says of Timothy Omundson’s return on Tuesday. When Dean seeks out the former Knight of Hell for some guidance, “from Cain’s point of view, he thinks he’s being helpful. That’s cagey and mysterious and deliberate in the way I’m saying that. But once you see the episode, you’ll see what I mean.”

Got something on my favourite Queen Catherine from Reign? –Astrid
I’ll meet you halfway with scoop on a queen – the queen? – seeing as for Season 3 the CW drama is casting the series regular role of a young Queen Elizabeth. The twentysomething monarch is described as “beautiful, cunning and brave, vulnerable and in love.”

Since Arrow‘s Oliver Queen saw his ex on The Flash, will there be a storyline with that, or was that a one-time encounter? –Elizabeth
Scripting that fleeting encounter with Oliver’s baby mama when they did “was a bit of a no-brainer,” Arrow showrunner Marc Guggenheim explained to me. With Oliver visiting Central City — the same place his secretly pregnant girlfriend scurried off to after taking a payoff from Moira — “How could we not take that opportunity?” he notes. “That was really the reason to do it.” But as of now, I’m hearing of no imminent plans to revisit the paternity shocker.

Any chance we’ll learn a little bit more about Alison or Cosima on Orphan Black this year? Maybe something about their parents, or how they first came to join the Clone Club? — Katie H.
We may gleam some bits of backstory this season, but don’t expect any big answers just yet. “We’re always trying to go forward and fill in blanks as we push a plot and a story forward,” cocreator John Fawcett tells TVLine. “That being said, it is an important part of the story that we understand how they found out that that they were clones. I don’t know if that’s necessarily going to find its way into Season 3, but needs to find its way in somewhere.”

Huge fan of Grey’s Anatomy! Any news yet on the season finale? –Connor
Only that there may be a new fella for the ladies of Grey+Sloan Memorial to fawn over by season’s end. Just weeks before the finale arrives, the ABC drama will introduce the possibly recurring character of Jack Pruitt, a strong, rugged, handsome and tall police captain in his late 30s. Which available (and tall?) female might find this hunky hero to be arresting?

Will Dylan Einstein return to Criminal Minds? –Emilie
Alas, I am told that at this time no encore has been booked for the flirty forensics whiz (played by guest star Candace Hammer).

Is Daniella Alonso return to The Night Shift? Her character is my favourite but I don’t see her in any Season 2 promo or poster. –Ivan
Sorry, Ivan, but Alonso/Dr. Landry De La Cruz will not be a part of the NBC medical drama when it returns on Monday, Feb. 23 at 10/9c.

I’m intrigued by Bones‘ Booth and Brennan wanting to keep their new baby news on the QT. Does it stem from a medical reason? –Jessica
When I spoke to T.J. Thyne, he did not illuminate on the why of the secrecy, but avowed that it makes for a “really fun episode where they’re very giddy and excited, and we’re all like, ‘What the hell is going on with the two of them?!'”

Real questions, real answers. If you need the Inside Line on a favorite show, email InsideLine@tvline.com(With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. 1mars says:

Super, thanks Matt, would love to see Booth and Brennan giddy and excited about anything and a new baby, thought that might be the final scene in the series finale but I’ll take it now instead.

2. Lisa says:

Why does this quote make me concerned for Lisbon?

• GildedRose says:

My guess is it’ll be a similar set up: serial killer goes after Lisbon in a ‘recreation’ type scenario of Jane’s 1st wife’s murder. Only this time they’ll stop the killer for the happy ending.

3. Angela says:

Heh, I love that everyone was thinking the little interaction between Reid and Dylan would’ve led somewhere. I’m sorry to hear they’re not expecting her back anytime soon, but hey, maybe someday down the line, it’d be worth considering. And if not her, then at least it’s a good sign that Reid might be ready to get out there again on the romantic front at some point :). Whatever happens there, I just want the guy to finally be happy. He deserves it!

• Britt says:

I was actually worried they were going to bring her back. I mean, it would be so cheesy if Reid ended up with a girl named Einstein. It’s like the writers saying they don’t even care anymore.

4. Ellen says:

Didn’t Laura Benanti already appear as Colin’s girlfriend?

5. Dani says:

Elizabeth is finally being casted! So excited! Even though I read that Mary and Elizabeth never really met in person, but since its Reign anyway, historical accuracy be damned.

6. Denise says:

What does Bishop want from Kalinda? I’m dying to know! Might it involve Alicia’s campaign in some way? Would make sense to bring it all together. Maybe he wants some dirt to hold as leverage? Only two more weeks to go!

7. Maryone says:

I hope this Jack Pruitt is really for one of the single women on Grey’s and not a romantic interest for Meredith, April or Jo, but I’m not sure we can trust the writers.

• sa says:

I think it’s going to be Maggie

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The “tall” female love interest was my own extrapolation. All I know is they’re casting Jack as tall.

• Isobel says:

tall guys and petite women can occur in real life, maybe they’ll go that way in the show

• Alichat says:

Ohhh……I thought you were hinting at Geena Davis’ character……that perhaps she survives the surgery, and hooks up with the cop.

• chris says:

if they are bringing in a guy for Callie that late in the season, it sounds like calzona is done for good. Is JCap’s contract up this year? Would have been much more interesting to see a SL where calzona actually worked out their issues as a couple, rather than break them up yet again. After all this couple had a musical/soul-mates out of body connection and garnered major PR for their wedding. Breaking them up yet again and sending Callie to boys town seems a left handed salute and cheap cop out.

• gillespie says:

I hope it’s Stephanie. I think she would work with someone older and who is not a doctor and it’s about time they give her more attention. But tbh, as long as it isn’t Jo, I’m ok with anything.

• delfiteblu says:

I just want to see Arizona happy. She is NOT happy alone; never has been. And she deserves better than Callie gave her. You never know what Shonda might have up her sleeve but I don’t want them back together. I’ll NEVER trust Arizona again – not to mention that Callie wouldn’t. Maybe Callie deserves the new tall doctor. :)

• delfiteblu says:

I TOTALLY said that first sentence backwards. I’m having computer problems and am never sure whether anything will post.
          “I just want to see CALLIE happy. She is NOT happy alone; never has been. And she deserves better than ARIZONA gave her.
          DUH.

• delfiteblu says:

CORRECTION TO ABOVE: Substitute CALLIE for Arizona in first sentence; Arizona in the second. Having problems posting and it through me off.

• Grey's Fan says:

This new guy could be a love interest for Amelia… When Owen sees the new couple together he’ll realize he’s jealous and attracted to someone other than Cristina. Owen/Amelia will probably spend time together getting to know each other as colleagues and friends until she meets a new man… I really don’t see Owen hooking up seriously with anyone until Season 12. He’ll realize the attraction in the Season 11 finale.

8. Bianca says:

SUPER excited for more Robin Hood….and more Robin Hood & Regina! Thanks for the scoop :)

9. Dixie Lee Eubank says:

I’m so tired of re-runs, I could scream. It’s bad enough to have to watch more commercials than show, but I’ve watced so many reruns of Law and Order, I can tell you whats going to happen. Very disscussed with television right now.

10. Tahina says:

The only tall lady on Grey’s, other than Herman, is Callie, if Gena Davis is gone by season’s end, then my Calzona’s <3 will be merciless broken for good! :(

• delfiteblu says:

If we assume that Amelia gets all of the tumor, Geena Davis would be a great addition to the cast. On the other hand, Callie deserves SOMEONE who won’t screw around on her. She has always been one to make all her feelings well known and I’d like to see her with SOMEONE where her love life can be relatively drama free.

11. Merina says:

I still don’t understand. Are they expanding the Oliver-doesn’t-know-he-has-a-kid storyline or not? That was kind of a non-answer.

12. Donna says:

Good grief. Bones is scraping the barrel for plot lines if hiding a pregnancy that was already obvious 4 months ago is a serious idea.

• anon says:

And the ep in question was probably shot/flimed 3 or 4 months ago, they have been shooting Bones eps since Nov that we haven’t seen yet.

13. Quen says:

Thank you for the scoop on OUAT’s Robin Hood. I hope they don’t keep him away from Storybrooke for too long. I have grown really attached to him as part of the show and I want to see him interact with the main characters more, not less. Not only, but also including Regina of course. While I’d love to get some backstory on how he got that tattoo and what it means (like if OUAT is going to touch on the traditional Robin Hood’s connection to Richard the Lionheart), but boy I sure hope they’re not gonna try to explain the recast in a story.

14. Jared says:

There’s so much going on in the Arrow universe I can’t see the writers adding this paternity secret into this season. It would make a great storyline at some point in the series.

15. Good. I am glad there are no plans to bring back Dylan Einstein to Criminal Minds. I personally found her like a poorly written fan fiction Mary Sue. She certainly didn’t sound like someone who was basically the female equivalent of Reid with her rather juvenile dialogue. And don’t get me started on the cheesy choice of her last name. And I can’t figure out why anyone (let alone the writers or CBS who seem to be trolling Reid fans) would think this indicated some sort of potential love interest when Einstein and Reid spoke for about 30 seconds and neither demonstrated any interest toward the other.

16. Mary says:

Lily character would probably be another pawn in USING Emma and so on, like others have in the past….
    Could care less about Robin.. and especially Regina

17. maermae says:

Can you please quit asking Carver questions? He gives the literal worst answers. Whenever he talks, he just makes me want to rage, and not in a good way. He is terrible at teasing. The episode is “really great” – thanks for that, Carver.

He just ends up sounding condescending & we never end up seeing on screen what he thinks we will (does he even read the writers’ scripts?). He didn’t even answer the full question about Cain/Able & Sam/Dean parallels.

For SPN questions, can’t you find someone else (anyone!!) to ask.

• ParadiseHeat says:

couldnt agree more, cant stand Carver he has been totally condesending especially towards Sam fans. However I did take his non answering of this question to mean there are no parallels between Cain/Abel and Dean/Sam in the wider sense. Its basically just Cain/Dean which is fine but then it kinda just limits the whole mythology and makes it all one sided. Oh well dont expect anything more from Carver honestly. Also I believ Jared/Sam only filmed 1 day for this episode so he wont be involved that much. So my guess is the anwer to the question is that NO Sam wont meet Cain.

18. Jennifer says:

I think it’s already been confirmed that Lily is coming back to OUAT. I’m just super excited to see how she fits in and I would love to see her and Emma reconnect.

19. MintyFresh says:

OMG, Season 4 of OUAT is going to be such a disaster. LOL! Wow.

• meresger says:

Preach! Robin Hood has become a terrible character. And now they think it’s good writing to retcon their Season 2 Robin because they decided in Season 3 that they wanted to set up this horrid “soulmate” romance between Robin and Regina that went from complete strangers to adulterous shagging in a week? The creators actually think is hilarious to admit that they are going to destroy their own canon! That’s messed up! It’s like that old car repair commercial line from the 90s “Just keep hitt’n it! We’ll make it fit!” They no longer care if the plotlines and relationships they come up with have zero basis in the backstories, because they can just (re)invent time travel or someone was under a curse. It’s just lazy!

• Ugh; I knew u haterz would show up.

• Kammy says:

Its called criticism. Learn the difference it will do wonders to your life. And yes Robin is a terrible character it’s not have just reality. Unless you think it’s sex to cheat on your sick spouse in which case I worry for whoever you date.

• He was a widower for 30+ years; hardly cheating “til death do us part” & u say it’s a bad thing for a widower to find love again? They lived under the same roof for a year in EF; hardly strangers. I worry for whoever you date; you’ll be stalking someone who has moved on after 30 yrs when they find love again; using GPS on your mobility scooter. Snow/Charming new each other what, a day before they fell in love; what about Ariel. Oh, say what you want but you need to get a clue.

• Mer says:

How about you actually address what the person said. But since you didn’t have intelligent rebuttal to meresger valid criticism of the writers retconning their show, the obvious answer is always because someone is a hater. Grow up.

• Mer says:

Are you guys that like Outlaw Queen not disturbed that, the reason that Robin was available in the first place was because Regina killed Marion and left his son motherless? As a fairytale, we can readily accept Snow White and Charming falling in love with each other because, for decades, we accepted them as canon iconic couple.

OUAT had done a beautiful background on Snowing but nearly ruin it for the Captain Hook show. Since A&E are making a whole new mythos, they need to do a better job to make a background as to how the Evil Queen and Robin Hood are suppose to be soulmates other than pixie dust.

In all honesty, Robin Hood is anti-thetical to the Evil Queen. Regina grew up in luxury. And as the Evil Queen and Mayor, she never cared for the poor. Yet Robin Hood, who Marian made him into the legend he is according to OUAT, spent his life fighting the poor.

The Robin Hood that OUAT introduced us to in Season 2 and OUAT in Wonderland was very suspicious of magic, especially dark magic. He only used magic when he needed to (saving Marian’s life when she was pregnant).

Regina is one of the most powerful dark magic users (even though she has been kicked around lately by Zelena and Snow Queen).

Robin Hood doesn’t even truly know the Evil Queen. His ignorance was shown when Regina warned him to stay away once the Shattered spell hit, but he was like, the evil queen is no big deal. I’m sorry, but this was a woman that massacred whole villages and sent children to their death to get a curse from a blind witch. The Evil Queen is that horrible. They only dated for 2 weeks and OUAT has not shown on screen that those two really got to know each other in the missing year in Enchanted Forest.

There is just absolutely no reason why me as a viewer can buy that relationship when the writers have to backtrack so many things to make it work. The pixie dust that came from nowhere. Him appearing in scenes randomly when it is not needed. HIm encouraging Regina when he doesn’t even know here and it would make more sense coming from Henry.

And I’m sorry, but what Robin did was adultery. When Marian came back, HE was the one that willingly told Regina to her face that he is going to stand by his vow since his wife is now ALIVE. He recognized his marriage. And when Marian became frozen, despite Regina telling him no, she was trying to find a cure for his wife, he couldn’t respect her and overrode his feelings over her. He didn’t even have the decency to wait until his wife was not a popsicle before “getting it dow” in the vault where his wife lied. That whole relationship is the worst written one on the show. They are destroying a decent character (Regina), and giving one of their strongest actors (Lana Parrilla) a sucky storyline to deal with. And for what? For a character that they have to backtrack that is not even intregal to the main core storyline of the show???? I don’t get.

• Buttercup says:

I’m starting to think there may be two Robin Hoods. Based on the spoiler, I think the Robin Hood who married Marian is a different person from the one who is in a relationship with Regina. I think Zelena gave the new Robin Hood false memories so he thinks he is married to Marian when he is not. We know Bex Mader and Christie Laing filmed scenes together. Something is going on there. Zelena hated Regina. I think she found out the new Robin Hood was Regina’s soul mate and decided to make him think he was already married in an attempt to destroy Regina’s happiness. I kind of hope the new Robin Hood is actually King Richard. It would explain the lion tattoo.

The only sad thing is the new Robin would be devastated to learn that he isn’t really Roland’s father. : (

• Zelda says:

Must be fun to know exactly what’s going to happen even though you haven’t seen the episode in question. I swear some of you OUAT fans are way too tightly wound about these things way in advance, long before the stuff you get spoilers for even air on tv. Noticed this a couple of times now when tvline has spoilers for that show.

• Mary says:

The Once fandom is always like that. Many also take grainy pap pictures or gossip from fans who watch filming as gospel truth and then complain to the writers or claim the writers changed their plans last minute when the finished product is not 100% like they thought because of those ‘spoilers’.

20. Ray says:

Thanks for the report on Constantine. One of the senior executives at Syfy tweeted there was absolutely no truth to the rumors. People need to accept it.

• Katie_Mead says:

Aw, but sometimes, the truth hurts. Just let us have a few more months of hope before dropping that entirely probable cancellation on us.
      Thanks for seeking the source, Matt.

21. Z25 says:

My theory’s they’ll say Robin Hood in season 2 temporarily got a different appearance by magic like Regina did too in another season 2 episode in flashbacks. I believe it was called The Evil Queen.
    I hope this means Robin Hood gets a flashbacks episode of his own this season. It’s about time.

• It's Delovely says:

Not sure how they’re gonna pull that off (though it does sound like they’re going to try in that spoiler). Belle freed Robin from the Dark Castle when he looked like Tom Ellis, and they recognized one another when they met again and he looked like Sean Maguire. We’re just supposed to assume it’s the same man.

22. Samara says:

Thank you for showing Reign some love, it’s often forgotten…how about showing Reign fans some love by weekly recaps.

23. Briggs says:

I pretty much figured that would be the case. Might not see her again for another season. Seriously, I can totally see this being a ‘once a season’ thing. Besides, they have enough going on this season as is.
    The episode of Bones sounds snicker-worthy. :) The material mined from them seemingly acting out of character, alone…

24. Amanda says:

I love Stalker! and don’t miss an episode of Constantine. I really hope they give these 2 another season-or many. The chemistry between all the characters on Stalker is palpable, and Constantine, when it is really dark, is really good. I want to see what that pesky angel is up to….

25. Please please let the SPN spoilers mean that Cain is going to help Dean with the Mark, maybe teach him a few tricks, and the MoC doesn’t go anywhere but they change what it means so it’s something Dean can use for good – owning it rather than being destroyed by it…and this leads to an expansion of the story in the way the Demon Blood storyline grew in the earlier seasons, other characters coming into play that are linked and this could play out till the show is over.

• ParadiseHeat says:

The demon blood was always deemed as evil mostly by Dean even though Sam didnt use if for anything other than saving people. The MOC should be treated the same more so as it is the mark of the devil. I dont think Cain will help Dean but give him a few home truths that will change Dean’s mind about just trying to deal with it and not getting rid of it and also hofefully spur us into a Sam storyline that Carver promised.

• Sara says:

I hope Dean gets to keep the Mark until the series ends. This has been the best storyline on the show in years. Jensen Ackles is finally being allowed the spotlight in the myth-arc and he is owning it like never before. Would love to see DemonDean back. Whatever happens to one brother, happens to the other. Their story is one story. This is all we heard for years and when the Sam had the myth-arc role, so Sam can still have a story while Dean has the myth-arc. That’s how it was for the majority of the series only in reverse. I’ve never been a fan of all the role reversals on this show, but this one was past due.

26. cdhaskell says:

I can’t wait to meet the actress who will play Queen Elizabeth 1 on Reign. I also wanted to know will Oliver ever discover that he got a child somewhere living.

• Isobel says:

I presume the show will get enough seasons that they have Connor turn up, but not for a season or two I think, he needs to get a couple of years older and Oliver has storylines to go through without knowing about him

27. Lily says:

So, “Reign” plans on featuring Queen Elizabeth I, as a series regular? Guess, that pretty much confirms, the Francis will die in the Season 2 finale.

• Samara says:

Even though it’s historically inaccurate, I can kind of figure out the reason for her appearance which will have alot to do with Francis’ demise & the aftermath.

• Lily says:

It is interesting that “Reign” is describing Elizabeth as being “in love”. She was known as the Virgin Queen, although she probably did have lovers. Considering Bash and Kenna might getting divorced by the end of Season 2…. as Bash might convert to Protestantism, while Kenna might be unfaithful to her husband. I would not be surprised, if Elizabeth falls for Bash.

• Ginger Snap says:

You can hardly do a series about Mary Queen of Scotts without Elizabeth I.

And Francis has to die . This show portrays him as way to healthy for a man who died in his teens.

• Lily says:

Lol…. with a mother infamous for being a master at brewing poisons, there are many ways to kill Francis on “Reign”. There was some foreshadowing to the possibility, that Francis’ inner circle will assassinate him, this season.

28. Kammy says:

Matt could you ask Adam how much more he will retcon from s1 and s2 to accommodate Sean’s Robin? Is getting quite silly to be honest. First they added the pixie dust tattoo story now they add another retcon saying how Tom elis was actually Sean’s Robin and he should have had that tattoo invented in s3?

It’s absolutely ridiculous.

• Mer says:

It is becoming comical at this point. Why are the writers insisting on incorporating this character into the main storyline? Sean is not that strong of an actor. Outside of being a love interest of Regina, he is useless to the main cast. I just don’t get it.

29. Charlotte says:

Great spoilers on The Good Wife. Is there any chance you could let us know if Matthew Goode is in the newest (6-13) episode?

30. Charlotte says:

Great spoilers on The Good Wife! Is there any possibility you could let us know if Matthew Goode will be in 6-13?

• Jenna says:

Would love to know as well! At least, I know he’ll be on the screen on 3/1 on PBS, Finn/Matthew Goode is missing in action in all the TGW press and promotion released thus far for 6-13 and the episodes beyond. It’s like he’s disappeared to Highclere Castle or something.

31. Kara says:

Wow Carver gives the worst Supernatural spoilers. Ugh

I thank you for asking about Sams role in meeting Cain, you’d think it would be a logical direction for the show to pursue Abel/Sams parallel in regards to th Moc. This is pretty much my last hope that the show under Carver will remember Sam is a smart, protective, able hunter.

I hope this leads to Interesting things for Dean and the Moc, while Sam is finally brought into fold. I’m so over silenced, isolated, damsel in distress Sam. :(

32. Tawren says:

As usual Carver baits and switches and fails to answer questions. Keeping it mysterious ok but he didn’t even mention Sam. It’s bad enough Carver ruined the show and characters but using MOC to keep people watching is sad. 12/9th ep the ad made it seem as if it would be a MOC ep and we got Claire being annoying until the last 5 minutes when we saw everything we saw in the commercial and nothing more. Best part of the ep and they showed everything before the show aired?! Please fir Carver the hack and find a show runner for Supernatural.

33. meresger says:

Can’t wait for The Good Wife to return and find out what happens to Kalinda. Great spoilers.

34. geraghtyvl says:

Thanks for the Bones snippet.. March 26th can’t come soon enough!

35. Have you actually don any research when it comes to Once Upon a Time? Robin Hood might be your favorite, but hes hardly anyone elses. Hes constantly voted the worse character on. The actor is forever getting into arguments with fans.

And a retcon? People hated it when they used time travel to insert Emma and Hook into the past, so why would you think anyone would like to see more RH, changing the story?

• Paris says:

The person who asked the question about Once Upon a Time’s Robin Hood said he was HER favorite. It wasn’t Matt who said that. And fans are entitled to their opinion. Just because you don’t like a certain character doesn’t mean everyone else on the whole web has to agree. Jeez.

• Allyson says:

LMAO he’s not “constantly” voted the worst character. Just because one set of fans with an agenda voted against him in one poll hardly makes it a large volume. You cannot speak for everyone, so stop trying. I personally WOULD like to see more Robin Hood, and more Robin and Regina. So stop trying to speak for me.

• John NYC says:

As I see it they’re taking advantage of a necessity (the recast) brought about by an unrelated personnel issue to add something to the show’s matrix.

While not overwhelmingly compelling Robin is far enough from the show’s center that I find him acceptable and as a vehicle to soften Regina he’s quite useful. Especially now that Gold has gone so far down the rabbit hole as to be, from anywhere I can see, unrecoverable (poor Belle).

• Mer says:

But that is the thing. Robin is a redundent character. Henry by far has soften Regina, and Regina herself has worked to change. Attributing her hard fought redemption to a man just reduces her. Robin does not in any shape or form progress Regina as a character.

• Gina says:

Agreed. They took the last character not inserted in a useless romance, a fan favorite, and turned her into an angsty 30+ year old teen that forgot she just proclaimed she makes her own destiny and made her obsess over a predestined romance. Way to take Regina’s choices away; again. Robin Hood need not have applied here, any bland card board male cutout could have been inserted into this romance built on convenience and poor taste. Why take a character with so much preestablished history and ignore all of it except the name of the wife you’re going to use as another useless plot device (RH being the other useless plot device)? For a show touting “modern retellings” I’m unimpressed at how cliched all the romances actually are. Not surprised they need to retcon their own retcon. At this point I’m just waiting to see if the writers will ever introduce one single black character into the main cast that isn’t a villain, but I won’t hold my breath.

• Mer says:

POC character as a regular??? Not happening. Ursula is probably going to die at the end. No one black stays around on the show. And Sidney doesn’t count lol.

• Mer says:

Let’s also mention the fact, that if Regina did run off with Robin Hood, she was still married to the King! She could have been beheaded. Cheating on her husband is not a healthy way to get over a dead lover, lol. Outlaw Queen is based in adultery lol. Hook and Regina together would have been a more modern story telling. The bad boy/good girl relationship is already covered with Belle/Rumple. I just hope things get better.

36. Lila says:

Alison finding out she was a clone must have been HILARIOUS! Hope we get to see that sometime.

37. JAO says:

#SaveConstantine.

38. HA ! Fan asked about Sam and Carver answered about Dean and Cain !

• ParadiseHeat says:

Its the Carver way, unless they ditch him at the end of this season Sam fans had better get used to a very Sam light season 11 and beyond. He wont even be playing the active support role that Dean has had, he wont get the time travel episodes, he wont get the cool guest star interaction, he wont get many lines an episode lets face it. The only Sam that Carver will give us is research guy who makes faces at his brother.

• Sara says:

Carver wouldn’t even mention Dean or Jensen Ackles’ name for most of S8. So welcome to the world of Dean fans. And remember-what happens to one brother, happens to the other.

• JuliaG says:

Carver mentioned Dean plenty during Season 8. Dean/Cas. Dean/Benny. Dean mad at Sam. Blah Blah Blah. I think that the Trials story starting at the end of episode 14 of Season 8. It lasted about 8 episodes, and during that time frame, Dean had stuff with Benny, Cas, and going with Charlie in her mind while Sam was… probably unconscious. Oh, and let’s not forget the Krissy and Dean show, before Sam coughed a little blood at the end.

Sam’s been in the background for over a season now. He hardly talks to guest stars, he has very little dialogue, he gets knocked down almost every episode, and he can’t seem to be any good at freaking research anymore, and that’s his skill set! I’d love Dean’s story to be happening to Sam too, but it’s not. (unless you count sad, worried looks and “you can beat this Dean”!

39. cyclone says:

Grey’s scoop…”Which available (and tall?) female might find this hunky hero to be arresting?” They better not be talking about Callie. I know she’s bisexual and I would be fine with her having a love life outside of Arizona but Shonda didn’t do right by Calzona this season or even last season and I just don’t want Callie with anyone male or female.

40. cyclone says:

When is Bones coming back…I feel like it’s been gone for forever. Like the summer hiatus returns quicker than this show is coming back.

41. Ally Oop says:

Im excited for Season 3 of Reign. Im wondering at which point the show will carry out the death of Francis and have Mary return to Scotland. I think it would be fun to see all 3 kingdoms–Scotland, England and France–on the show. After all, the show is called Reign so it doesnt require that it be set in France or centered on Mary completely. It was an interesting situation after King Francis died in France. Women were running all three countries. Catherine ran France as regent for her 10-year-old son Charles. Mary was queen of Scotland and Elizabeth was queen of England.

42. meg says:

This says it all – a question is asked about Sam and all Carver can talk about is Dean. Carver has moreorless written Sam out of SPN. He has no story and no POV. There is absolutely no reason for Sam fans to keep watching anymore. I thought Carver would be a great showrunner but he has been awful. He destroyed Sam’s character in S8, gave him no voice in S9 and victim blamed him too and this year is a continuation of ‘Jared doesn’t need dialogue as he acts so well with his eyes’ (to paraphrase one of the writers last year) – basically an excuse to silence and sideline him.

43. Mer says:

I just don’t understand. Robin Hood is not even an essential character to the overall story on Once Upon a Time. He is not endearing as a character, and is just useless. I feel like with this retcon they are trying to add more value for him when it is not ought there. Sean is not even the strongest actor on the show, I don’t know why the writers are insisting this character in the OUAT universe.

It is embarrassing how A&E and blatently saying they are going to retcon their own canon. Geez, I don’t know if I can continue to watch this show that I once loved. It is becoming a mess.

• Paris says:

They had to recast a character that appeared on their show before. That in itself is a disruption of canon then. And arguably a much bigger, more noticable one than the show maybe dropping a comment or two about how he was magically glamored in that on episode from two years ago. On a show that’s all about magic and has had characters disguise themselves with magic before. This show has a lot of issues, but I honestly think some of you are blowing this thing way out of proportion.

• Mer says:

There hasn’t been a character that had to be recast on the show? Please tell me which character you are referencing. And it is quite obvious that Robin Hood was a character to last only an episode or two to prop up the main storyline. Just like Rapunzel and Bo Peep. I don’t think talking about bad, inconsistent writing that has been increasing for the past 2 season is blowing things out of proportion.

It is funny that A&E said that they don’t write ships, but most of the writing and marketing is geared towards their badly done romances.

• Quen says:

Uhm, I’m not Paris, but she’s obviously referring to Robin Hood. They had to recast him for season 3 because Tom Ellis was no longer available. These things happen,OUAT even almost lost their original Belle between seasons 1 and 2 because Emilie de Ravin had comitted herself to Americana and only when the Pilot did not get picked up was she free to return to OUAT.
          You can’t sign on every actor/character that you want to use in more than 1-2 episodes as series regular. The budget would explode. And if you go back and read the original casting call for Robin Hood, you’ll see they were very much looking for someone to play him as a recurring character.
          I doubt anyone has issues with the writing being criticized, but criticizing writing for something that’s currently a small spoiler on TVLine and not an episode we have seen already is very… hypothetical. And with all due respect, it also appears that some of you in this string of comments have problems that boil down to general dislike of a character as a whole and there might be little the writers can do to please you as long as said character is part of the show.

• Mer says:

I find that hard to believe that an arc has truly been laid out for Robin Hood. A&E specifically said that they will go back and show the reason why there is no tattoo and why character is recast. I don’t mind the recast at all. I just find the whole storyline of robin hood shodly done. If he was truly meant to be intergreted and had a plot laid out, that’s fine. But to retcon your own show just seems sloppy.

But you are right, A&E have often said things and it doesn’t end up being true, so well have to wait and see.

• Allyson says:

Because it’s their show and that’s how they want it to be? I mean, I cannot stand Emma Swan but I’m not insisting that because I can’t stand her, that I dont understand why writers “insist this character in the OUAT Universe”. It’s not your show to write.

• Mer says:

Thank you for stating the obvious. This show is public domain, and I feel in love with it since episode 1. If I find something I want to critique to make it a better show, we and others can. People only say things like, “you don’t like the show” when it is someone says something that overly congratulatory. We are just insisting and encouraging better writing because I would like for it to be taken a little bit more seriously and last longer. Is that a hard concept for people to understand?

If you cannot engage in some of the points stated, than don’t state anything at all. Saying, “you don’t write the show,” is not an intelligent answer. I know that, lol.

44. CC says:

Hello Matt. I don’t remember if Finn’s story is over in The Good Wife. I was expecting more between Alicia and Finn. Do you have any info? Thanks.

45. GildedRose says:

I’m excited about the double-episode finale of The Mentalist. Can’t wait to see this show sent off right. Which leads to a quandary for me because Mentalist is now on Wednesdays, up against Arrow, another show covered in this week’s column. Have to say I’m THRILLED to hear Arrow has no imminent plans to touch on the whole “there’s a kid out there somewhere that’s Oliver’s” story. I have zero interest in that. Just none. Leave that to the very end of the series, please, before saddling characters with kids. Ugh. Sadly, the current state of Arrow is making tuning into Mentalist easier each week. There are a lot of things I like about Arrow (Oliver, Felicity, Diggle, that core trio, Quentin, etc) but this season feels like they’ve been pushed aside for stuff that just bores me. Hopefully the season will end stronger and Season 4 will be better.

46. delfiteblu says:

I think it’s really a good thing that Dr. DeLe Cruz won’t be back. It bugged me all last season that the ER had a permanent shrink – we’ve never seen that on any other medical show.

And while I’m on the subject, I LIKE the show but it bugged me (again) all last season that although they are a hospital in San Antonio, you almost never saw a Hispanic patient; maybe a nurse or two, can’t remember. I realize it was a summer show, thrown together, but they really need to fix that. It can be really distracting when you’re trying to believe what you’re seeing.

47. delfiteblu says:

Toby Ziegler????? On CBS????? The West Wing lives????? PTL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

48. Kristina says:

Yeah, I’d almost prefer if we could all forget the “Oliver’s secret baby” storyline ever existed.

49. Jack says:

I’m extremely excited about Orphan Black! Waiting for the new season to start has been pure torture. Luckily I have the seasons on DVD so I can watch them repeatedly. That’s why I read this article, it’s probably my favorite show, I’ve gotten my entire family to start watching it. In exchange, I agreed to watch Once Upon A Time. I went back and watched all of them and actually really liked it before but I’m kind of dreading this season. I’m not heavily involved in the OUAT fandom so I have no clue what the general consensus is but my family, myself included, can’t stand Robin. I’m hoping they’re using this throwback to the tattoo to cut ties with the “soulmate” storyline. If you have to keep going back and rewriting past events to make a relationship work you should just drop it.

• Mer says:

Orphan Black is smart, well done TV. I can’t wait as well. Especially with the male clone situation going on. I agree with you on the Robin plotline. Like, he is not that even important of a character to try to keep reworking to fit into the overall plotlines going on the show. It’s a mess. And thank you so much stating your opinion. Maybe others start to understand that it is not only “shippers” that have issues with how they are writing Robin Hood.

50. Liz says:

Thanks Matt. I look forward to your inside scoop. BUT…can we get more scoops on Chicago fire! Please! I always see scopes about CPD and every other show but I need more CF Intel! Thanks again :-)