Post Mortems

Post Mortem: Castle Boss Talks Latest 3XK Twist, Beckett Look-alike Plan, Remaining Mythologies and More

Castle 3XK Dies

The following contains spoilers from the conclusion of Castle‘s two-parter.

This week on ABC’s Castle, Rick — in his heated pursuit of any leads on Kate’s abduction — got slapped with assault charges after roughing up the man proclaiming himself to be Michael Boudreau. Then, acting on Gates’ counsel, Rick got inside his adversary’s head and decided to “bring the game to him.”

To that end, Rick went “lone wolf” and infiltrated Jerry Tyson’s remote lair, only to get nabbed by his own prey. Yet that was Rick’s plan all along — to let 3XK lure him there, so that he could find Kate. Because Castle was in fact not alone but accompanied by Esposito (outside with a sniper rifle, which he put to use in taking down Tyson) and Ryan. Beckett meanwhile freed herself from being strapped down for “surgery” and turned Dr. Nieman’s scalpel against her, leaving Tyson’s girlfriend dead in a pool of blood. In the aftermath, Castle got his job back at the 12th, by way of 1,000 hours of community service to work off those assault charges.

Here, Castle showrunner David Amann talks about tying up the years-long 3XK story, Nieman’s “Beckett lookalike” agenda and when the show will finally revisit Rick’s unsolved vanishing.

TVLINE | Was there any debate about ending the 3XK mythology?
Not really. Again, part of the desire was to have real scenes and real conflict that put our characters directly in opposition with Tyson and Kelly Nieman. We felt that the satisfying consequence of that was that this would be the end, that when you have that kind of confrontation where a gauntlet is thrown down — in Part 1, Tyson and Nieman walk out of the precinct free and clear while Beckett gets grabbed — there has to be an answer to that that’s going to be satisfying to the audience. We have done a Tyson-related episode every season [since the character’s debut], and this felt like a good time to bring it to a close.

One of the other things we wanted to get out of the two-parter, one of the reasons why we ultimately wanted to put Jerry Tyson to bed once and for all, is that we wanted to really give Castle a way to earn his way back into the 12th precinct. He did some things that were worthy of him being dismissed, and in order to redeem himself we felt like he had to do something extraordinary. This let him do that, and with some credibility. It wasn’t just, “Hey, we like you, we want to bring you back.” He had to earn his stripes, especially in Gates’ eyes, and he did.

TVLINE | You’d know better than I, but this felt like one of the first times that Beckett has been in jeopardy and Castle got to save the day. I know he had some help, but he kind of orchestrated this rescue mission.
There may be some other examplesCastle 3XK Dies where she’d been in jeopardy in a less dire way…. But from our standpoint, we also wanted Beckett to have agency over her own fate here, in that she doesn’t really depend on him in this particular case to come to her rescue. He comes in just as she’s finished [killing Nieman]. We felt like both of them acted up to their level on both sides of the story.

TVLINE | A different show probably shows Beckett actually gut the doctor.
A different show would, but we didn’t feel the need for that.

TVLINE | Did you think about maybe going further and actually pulling off a Beckett look-alike, as last season’s “Disciple” did with Lanie and Espo?
We did sort of toy with that, when Beckett’s double [the druggie in a wig] is shot. But we didn’t go as far as the surgical reconstruction. But obviously that was on Tyson and Nieman’s agenda, had they been left to their own devices.

TVLINE | The soap opera-raised kid in me hoped that you would leave Castle with a fake Kate and we don’t realize it until the season finale.
Yeah, that would be a tough one! [Laughs]

TVLINE | In your mind, what was the significance of the very final scene, in bed?
It’s really about them coming together and sharing this experience. Part of it is also acknowledging what Castle went through at the beginning of the season, what Beckett went through not knowing where he was…. That’s also going to figure in a bit later on in the season, when we get into a more serious look at that missing time.

TVLINE | OK, because you previously told me the two-parter would “revisit” Rick’s vanishing, but I guess you meant only via dialogue. When do you plan to actually dive back into that unsolved mystery?
We touched on the missing time here more in terms of the feeling it was bringing out in the characters — specifically the first time Castle is looking at the tape Beckett made, he’s kind of experiencing what she experienced, except probably a worse version, because he knows she’s in the clutches of Jerry Tyson. But it’s a way in which he can kind of understand the helplessness and difficulty that she went through when he was [gone], and that’s going to stick with him a bit. That will be explored in a greater depth when we get to Episode 20.

TVLINE | I was thinking that with 3XK gone, what ongoing mythology is left on the series?
There’s the vanishing…. And there are some other things that we’re going to be exploring later in the season, when we deal with some Beckett mythology.

TVLINE | Something with Beckett we’ve touched on before, or something new?
It’s a little too soon to talk about it. It’s still in the incubation stage.

TVLINE | Next week’s STANA KATIC, NATHAN FILLION, JON HUERTAS“The Wrong Stuff” episode looks considerably lighter in tone — but that’s what you do, right?
Yeah, a lot of times we’ll go a bit more serious in these two-parters, and then we’ll come out of it very deliberately with a lighter episode. In this case, a murder on Mars has a lot of classic Castle fun to it. We think the fans are going to dig that episode.

TVLINE | I almost hesitated sharing those episodic photos with readers because you can’t unsee them. They certainly suggest it’s one of the more “far out” episodes.
It definitely is, and there’s a lot of fun Castle/Beckett interaction in this world, talking about the idea of whether either one of them would want to go on a Mars expedition — and there are some surprising answers that come out of that question! It’s one of those episodes that also kind of feeds a Castle fantasy about being a space traveler, so it’s a good “palette cleanser” after the two-parter.

1. leigh says:

Wow. That was intense! And so good! Absolutely amazing.

• Big Mike says:

I agree. I just wish they’d let Castle save Beckett in the end. We get it, she’s a bada$$. But it would’ve been great to see him save her bacon the same way she’s saved his a dozen times.

• S. says:

He did sorta save her. By killing 3XK he kept Nieman from proceeding a few minutes sooner so Beckett had time to free herself. He also spent the whole episode trying to find/save her. For being a non-cop he does pretty good.

• ndixit says:

Well, to be fair, Castle has saved Beckett multiple times in the past. In season 4, he mentioned he was ahead in the head to head count. Since that point, I think Castle saved Beckett in ‘Probable Cause’ and Beckett saved Castle in ‘Dreamworld’, so I think they are pretty much even on that account.

• maria says:

Everything I’ve read about storywriting (whether it’s in a novel or on the screen ) says that the main character (especially a female) should save herself whenever possible rather than relying on someone else to do it for her.

• DL says:

As a professional writer myself, I have no idea where you’re getting that idea. If a character is in jeopardy, how she gets out of it should serve the story and the characters first and foremost. Not some hard and fast rule. That said, the character should of course still TRY to save herself. Otherwise it’s not a very interesting story (or character).

• Amelia says:

I’m excited for kick ass female characters as much as the next person but I find sometimes it gets too annoying when the female character is always saving herself and beating up all these people all the time. I’m not saying that’s happening here but just in general (and on other shoes) when the character is always saving themselves and sometimes outside of the designated skillset you know they have.

• Lizo says:

He did, but she needed to have her own agency too. She’s a trained fighter and agent, he’s not. She wouldn’t be Kate if she waited for rescue

• Katherine215 says:

I love that she saved herself.

• DarkDefender says:

I felt like they both equally contributed to Beckett being saved (in different but equally significant ways).. They way it should be as true partners.

• Just one thing says:

It was a really good episode. Great to see Castle lead the charge, and solid acting on Fillion’s part throughout.
      Once again, Katic proves to deliver so much with very little. Beckett was in maybe five minutes of the episode, which is strangely low, but those few moments were 100%.
      Though I did have to laugh at the precinct (yet again) erupting in applause when Beckett returned. You know there’s probably a handful of cops at the Twelfth who are super salty about how much trouble Beckett gets into every six months or so. (I suspect they were in a corner, off-camera, doing a slow-clap like, “This b****…” LOL)

2. Kyaarra says:

Awesome!!!!!!!!!

3. Harvey says:

Loved the episode!

4. Mike Q says:

That was probably my favorite “event” episode of the series. Very well done.

5. mika02 says:

I gave it an A but my only issue that they didn’t touch on is how they faked the DNA test.

• Dj says:

The tooth wasn’t Jerry Tyson’s.

• m3rcnate says:

Lol take up less issue with that, and more on: How did he have the exact same voice if hes a different guy? Plastic surgery to the face does NOTHING to a persons voice box.

• james says:

Huh? It was the original Tyson. Not a double.

• Jim says:

They didn’t have a voice sample for Beaudreaux to compare it to, so they couldn’t prove anything. Plus, it’s a TV show.

• m3rcnate says:

Lol come on, if someone says “i had plastic surgery!!! This face isnt the one i was born with!” and they have the EXACT same voice as the guy who’s face he has (that you’ve seen and talked to before, aka Tyson aka 3XK) then its him. You can change or alter your face all you want (or say you had it done) but that changes nothing about your very unique voice.

• Dj says:

They had no physical evidence that would prove he was Tyson. Just because he had the same voice it wouldn’t be enough.

• Pat says:

Plus they explained that with the previous doubles as they had voice training to sound like the original. So could have done that there, although a stretch.

If you want to get nit picky though, why not force him to have an x-ray? The dead girl at the start had an x-ray and it showed the plastic surgery marks. Force him and the marks should be there if he was telling the truth. Again could be explained away.

• knaxgurke says:

More than the x-ray (which is a sensible idea, too) I was thinking Tyson should have scars on his chest from where Castle shot him, which, presumably Mike wouldn’t have. And is there seriously supposed to be NO ONE that knows Mike personally who could testify to his surgery? (For which he paid how exactly…?) Well, I suppose seeing how nobody seemed to wonder where the real Mike went…

• NF and SK fan aways says:

what about the look that he gave Castle right before the cops busted in on the two of them at the apartment? you can’t change eyes……..

• NF and SK fan aways says:

no you can’t and what about the look that he gave castle at he apartment right before the cops busted in on them. you can’t change the eyes either!

6. lw says:

Whew! Gotta get my pulse back down!

7. Jenarific says:

Castle’s has always been it’s best when telling the 3XK story line. Without it… I feel like a chapter has closed and if the show ends this year, I’m good with that. A very satisfying ending.

• S. says:

There’s plenty of married couple crime fighting stories to tell, besides which Castle’s mythology is only just begun. The only reason they wouldn’t renew is if the actors wanted to stop. I’m sure they either have wrapped up negotiating or are still working out the details. You’d think if it was a series finale that Nathan/Stana wouldn’t keep that to themselves. The agents would at some point make it clear to Marlowe, etc. that they aren’t gonna renew so we’d get a finale. I figure it’s just about dotting I’s and crossing T’s and then we get a season 8.

8. taran63 says:

Wow, that was good. I’m glad I DVR’d it, because I think I might have to go watch that episode again, right now.

9. Teri says:

Twisted script for sure. Great writing and goodbye Tyson and Nieman! Bravo to great acting by Both NATHAN and Stana. Matt, think Castle had that Buick since Season 5 on the way to the Hamptons!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

All I know is he crashed a Mercedes on his wedding day….

• hello says:

Is Castle is now driving a Chrysler? Aren’t they one of the sponsors for the show? Notice the promotion when Castle revealed lots of trunk space. Very clever if the automaker is a sponsor..

• lkh says:

maybe the product placement isn’t working as well as they hoped…

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

LMAO

• Lucy B says:

Hahaha, I wish we could like comments on this site. My husband and I both rolled our eyes, although it’s still not as blatant/awful as Bones’ full 3 minute Toyota ads every time they get in the car.

• Miss Rozie says:

I could be wrong, but I thought I saw the word Buick on his laptop screen when Rick was sitting in his car flipping through screens looking up where this house was located. When he went into that house, I was on the edge of my seat, it was so creepy. It was a very intense episode for the show itself.

Nathan Fillion was absolutely GREAT in this episode, boy can he get dark. Showed a WHOLE different side of Rick Castle than we know of him, though we have been given a few glimpses along the way (when he took matters into his own hands when Alexis was kidnapped & when Tyson shoved the cop car they were riding in went into the waters to kill them, where Kate said “he’s dead” & she walked away & he followed up with “for now.”) With the help of counseling from Captain Gates, (wasn’t it GREAT when she sat with him & told him what Kate had said about “him being the story” – normally all she wants to do is banish him from being anywhere near the 12th – ha!) & took the handcuffs off of him to unleash him, she knew he’d do the job; he did that & a whole lot more. Rick redeemed his “mafia ways” & earned his way back into the 12th precinct – YAY! Even though I loved that he became resourceful & became a P.I. (thought his office space was pretty cool too)

GREAT 2-parter, just GREAT! Now onto his 1,000 hours of community service with his bad-ass wife! :-)

• NF and SK fan aways says:

there a tweet or something that mention watch castle and see the roomy trunk so I think it played both well.

• Rich Abey says:

I just want that red Ferrari back…or did he chuck it after that Season 5’s revenge-fling with an air hostess?

• DarkDefender says:

Season 5 Hampton’s car was a definitely a Mercedes.. But to be a Joe blow investigator, it isn’t too much of a stretch for Vastle to use a domestic car. We don’t see him drive the Ferrari everyday, so goes the Mercedes.

• lkh says:

It’s a Buick. And just so we really know, on the trunk, it’s a Buick Regal.

• DarkDefender says:

lkh: I was correcting Teri above.. In the season 5 Hamptons episode Castle definitely had a Mercedes (not a Buick). I was also saying that Castle getting a Buick was not out of character if he didn’t want to come off as “flashy rich guy playing at being a P.I.”… My last comment was if he can garage the Ferrari, except when he loses it to Ryan and Espo for favors.. He can also garage any Mercedes he might have (regardless if one burned in 6×23).

• lkh says:

DD-wasn’t correcting you-was really commenting on the product placement–a mild irritation. Yes, he drove that silver Mercedes, reference Murder He Wrote.

• Dark Defender says:

lkh: yeah.. the product placement was almost as bad as they used to do it on The Closer and White Collar – who were really blatant. :P

10. Jennifer says:

Even knowing it would have a good outcome, it was taut and suspenseful from start to finish. Loved seeing Castle be badass and smart at the same time. Loved Kate being strong and resourceful. Then it was capped off with a sweet scene where they both showed their vulnerability. Bonus highlight was that quiet scene with Castle and Gates.

11. Dj says:

The only thing wrong with that episode was that no Jerry Tyson. But overall what a great way to end the two parter.

12. Betisa says:

Awesome episode! AWM, and RB did an amazing work. IMO it is the best episode written by Andrew.

13. maria says:

Fantastic episode , and as an NCIS fan, the sniper shot reminded me of the episode Truth or Consequences (season 7).

14. jeremy says:

Top 3 all time. Spectacular story telling and great performances from one and all.

15. Lizo says:

It was a badass hour. I loved seeing Rick go dark to protect his family, showing that he would indeed kill to protect those he loved. And having Kate rescue herself was badass. It was just a super exciting two episodes. Glad 3XK and Kelly are finally dead this time!

16. Nicole says:

Hands down the best episode…,the acting, music, directing….it all came together perfectly. Touched on every emotion possible in the one hour.
    But the question is, if 3XK didn’t take castle, who did?!

• S. says:

I figured it wasn’t him. 3XK wasn’t part of some great conspiracy with a lot of money involved. He and Nieman and Amy were the extent of his plot (besides the others he killed to set it up). Someone has the ability to wipe his mind, to get him out on that raft, etc. I wonder if it’s someone we’ve already seen or if this is new. Somehow maybe involves dear ol’ dad?

17. lauri5567 says:

Also, reminds me a little of Kill Shot with Esposito taking out the bad guy.

18. Kate says:

WOW!!!! That was an incredible ride of an episode!

19. Andy says:

Ending felt a little rushed, but I loved it otherwise.

• TeeOh says:

We thought the same thing. With 20 minutes to go I had no idea how they were going to wrap it up on time. Needed at least another half hour, could’ve stretched to a full third part.

• Perhaps… I was eyeing the clock too and wondering. But these sorts of stories can turn into a trainwreck quickly. “Ah, but I knew you’d think that I thought that, so I thought the opposite of what you were thinking that I thought.” – “I thought that would be exactly what you would think that I would think so I thought what you wouldn’t think I might be thinking.”

Better to keep them brief before it ends up as a battle of wits with a Sicilian.

20. jax says:

excellent!

21. David4 says:

I liked the first 90 minutes of the two episode, the last 30 I felt… nothing. It was overly rushed. Also I really wish Castle died the bastard instead, and the “Take the shot” and not shooting him in the head and his death fall was too over the top for me.

Otherwise tones of fun for most of it!

• John NYC says:

No head shot through a window. That’s too small a target for a shot the glass will effect.

• m3rcnate says:

Eh, one pane window from….50 yards with a high powered sniper rifle? (.308) Being shot by a Spec Ops Marine Sniper? Lol ummm no. Ballistics would have been easy on the head-shot. If anything the risk is the baddie is standing right infront of Castle, so the risk of shooting a through-and-through and hitting Castle is fairly high, if anything a headshot is safer given the fact Castle is sitting and 3XK is standing.

• lkh says:

It would seem that from a tactical perspective hitting him in the head would be the choice to avoid the possibility of him shooting Castle, but for the dramatic effect, Tyson had time to turn around and realize what Castle had done–the expression on his and Castle’s face were important.

22. dan says:

Great Episode! But seriously, Beckett cold smoked that bitch without finding out where Castle was. Maybe she figured that the reason the good doctor couldn’t reach Jerry was because Castle had already handled his business?

• ndixit says:

I doubt she had that much control over the situation. She still had just one hand. I assume that she just struggled with Nieman and just got free and knifed her before Nieman could stab her with some other instrument. I mean if Beckett had control over Nieman, she would never have knifed her the way she did.

• KCC says:

I was wondering about the fact she was strapped to the table and had only freed one hand. How did she get out of the remaining straps? She would need to use her free hand in which case she had to let go of Nieman’s hand. Did Nieman just stand by and wait for Beckett to remove the remaining straps? One of several issues I had with the ending of the episode.

• Matthew Weber says:

Most likely she killed Neiman then freed her other hand with the same blade she used to do the deed.

• Katherine215 says:

I thought maybe she shoved Nieman away, either punching her in the face with her own fist or just shoving her and stunning her, then frantically undid the straps on her other arm and legs. I think it’s plausible Beckett could overpower Nieman, considering Nieman hasn’t been shown to be a ninja badass villain. And I’m sure Beckett’s pretty strong.

• Just one thing says:

Annie W. tweeted that she wished more of the bloody battle had been shown. I wonder if the answers to your questions lie in that footage.
          It’d be cool if they added that stuff to the DVDs, though I understand it’s expensive to produce.

• Diva DIary says:

Or maybe Beckett is actually dead and Nieman finished the surgery. PLOT TWIST! MWahahaha

• KCC says:

As far as she knew Castle was at the precinct. That’s where he was before she was abducted. She was totally unaware of anything happening with Castle and Tyson.

• Matthew Weber says:

Not true, or at least probably not. She overheard Neiman saying “Do you have him?”

I think Beckett would be smart enough to know who the him was.

• NF and SK fan aways says:

@matthew w

exactly beckett was listen to her talk on the phone and she should know that Castle wouldn’t just stop because he had to, that he would find a way……he is king of going rouge all the time and this one would be no different she should know that by now!

• NF and SK fan aways says:

@dan

that’s exactly what I thought that when she hesitated on the phone saying somethings’s wrong why hasn’t he called gave her the opportunity to take her out. i think that Beckett did know that she would only have to take out dr creepy!

23. sladewilson says:

One of the absolute best Castle episodes ever. Magnificent job all around….

24. James D says:

Excellent two parter this year the writers always seem to keep one upping themselves each time and i appreciate that :) Gosh I love me some dark-side Castle Nathan really excels in those moments, but I also loved how he defeated Tyson in a purely Castle way, very well done. I guess I’m glad Castle is back in the precinct but to be honest I was really enjoying him as a PI I thought it opened up the story more and allowed for some more intimate moments between characters particularly Caskett. Great stuff though can’t wait to see what’s next hopefully we’ll get into some more of the Castle mystery before the finale.

25. Matthew Weber says:

That was amazing. While it’s not my favorite two parter ever (setup&countdown) it was very good. I love that the 3XK arc is done, I like how they finished it off.

The soundtrack on this one was amazeballs.

Nathan and Stana killed it. The rest of the cast was amazing too, and dammit, they keep making me like Gates a little more each episode.

Looking forward to the Mars episode.

26. c-mo says:

Amazing episode! ALL aspects of the episode were stellar! I’m sad that 3XK and Nieman didn’t get more screen time together because they were so amazingly good at being bad. This episode should be studied in the future as a great example of how to satisfyingly end a serial killer arc. Thank you Andrew Marlowe and Rob Bowman, et al for a fantastic ride tonight!

27. Solid episode, but I’m sorry, I just really hated the use of 1000 hours of community service thing to justify him coming back. A little too pat, even if it is Castle we’re talking about where more often than not that’s the thing. Still, I gave it a B.

• John NYC says:

Its a wink and a nudge. Not really a serious thousand hours. Gates was having her little but of fun.

• m3rcnate says:

Cause we all wanna have some fun just minutes after being held hostage by a serial killer that was going to cut our face off and transplant it onto her face…then getting free and killing her (messily) with her bare hands and a scalpel. And as for Castle, he had his wife kidnapped being held hostage by a serial killer surgeon whos going to slice and dice her, while he is being held hostage then watches a man get shot right in-front of him……..PARTY!!!! Lets go watch some stand-up at the laugh factory!!!! DRINKS ON MEEEE!!!!

Lol…it makes me miss (so much so) the realism of Flashpoint. After a shooting they had to go straight to a room with a post-shooting investigator, they showed signs of distress and shock and some trauma having just killed someone etc. They had to do tons of paper work, they showed signs of PTSD…lol i get this is a “feel good” cop drama, i get that…but still its pretty hilarious to think after everything they just went through that it would be times for jokes and smiles and what not. More like a crap ton of paper work/interviews and being put on paid leave and required to see a therapist (like after she was shot she saw Worf) and all that.

• John NYC says:

Castle was being welcomed back along with Beckett. Why ever not? They’d survived a tough one.

• NF and SK fan aways says:

that’s what i got out of it…..just trying to make her see that everything is going to be okay with all of them as a family again, yes mom dad and the boys are back together! I thought that look on his face getting yelled at again was priceless and then he had to hug her, that was funny! one of the best esp of gates and castle ever!

• Lizo says:

Humour is a very common thing to use after a trauma. Instead of all her coworkers asking her if she was “okay” which of course she wasnt, they made her laugh. After the ordeal they’d all just been through, laughter would be welcomed. That said, there likely won’t be any follow up on the lasting emotional effects of this, which is too bad. Stuff like this has long lasting consequences.

28. Amanda says:

3XK arc was amazing from the first episode, to taking Ryan’s gun, to sending Rick on the run to the look alikes, to tonight’s episode – WOW!!!! Probably my favorite villans in the whole series – do not rest in peace Tyson and Nieman. And a nod to the title of this recap – it’ll leave you breathless or with a nasty scar.

29. K says:

Amazing episode

30. sdc says:

Yet another reason why ‘Castle’ is one of my favorite shows on television. Well-written and well-acted. Suspensful, action filled and ultimately satisfying. Marlow and Co. provided a great storyline and script with which to work, and every cast member delivered, especially NF and SK.

31. cookie says:

Is Rick ever going to shoot a gun. Great episode! !! Love Castle s mind

• hello says:

I thought it was more right that Espo kill 3XK. Castle is a non cop and things could have gotten complicated. He really wouldn’t be allowed to work with Beckett.
      Espo is Special Forces and this played right into that.

• Except that no one made any effort to take Tyson alive. It seems like the plan was always to execute him on the spot.

• Harvey says:

He’s a serial killer, nobody would have cared, and considering he is a psycho, he might have killed Castle if an extraction team was sent.

• John NYC says:

He could have surrendered to Castle. He chose not to.

Past that point with, as mentioned, a serial killer, no reason to take chances. He was holding a weapon and certsinly preparing to use it.

• grys says:

The ONLY thing for me was that Ryan didn’t get a chance to (in his mind) redeem himself over losing his gun etc. Other than that, great episode. Glad to see the Tyson story line end in a satisfying way. Nieman, though, I could see her returning – what a deliciously wicked & evil gaze she had!

• Dj says:

He has fired a gun many times. He is even a better shot then Beckett.

• Heather says:

He has- in A Deadly Affair…and Boom…and Home is where the Heart Stops…and Punked :) ;) Ok, granted, the last 2 were in the shooting range, but the others were in the field.

• Rich Abey says:

Didn’t Rick once shoot Tyson off a bridge..and also trick Kate into giving him a personal lesson on shooting/photos of stolen jewels in a crime scene, by pretending to be a novice?

32. my only complaint was we didn’t get to see Beckett kick ***
    i got so happy seeing that look on her face & even started playing some fight music in my head. Then they cut to the aftermath :(

• DarkDefender says:

Probably had more to do with the logistics of it… Beckett only had one hand free. To get the leverage to take Neiman down (across the room as she ended up).. Would have been hard to explain how Kate took her down and got her other hand free. Some fights are best left to the imagination.

• ndixit says:

Probably was more a struggle than a fight. There’s no way Beckett would have been forced to stab her and be blood soaked the way she was if she had enough control for a fight.

33. DarkDefender says:

For anyone who has loved this show and bitterly stopped watching post 6X23, welcome back – cause you should be back now. That was as great an episode as Castle gets (especially of the 2-partners).
    Caskett are in a super cool groove, natural and affectionate without stupid doubts. Badass Beckett is alive and well (figuratively AND literally).. And so is badass Castle. About time Gates started shipping Caskett! Nice integration of the secondary characters.
    I hope there is no back slide from here (character wise) and the last 8 episodes for season 7 continue to fire on all cylinders. It is great seeing the cast gel so well together. They have a good thing going.. I hope we get more seasons.
    I am really loving this season..

• S. says:

I knew never to give up on this show. I had faith the whole time so I was fine with 6×23. The writers always come through, the sneaky devils. If you love this show, you stick with it. Always. ;)

• SEI625 says:

Absolutely agree with you!! The cast and crew are having fun and it definitely shows:)

34. Ben says:

Excluding the annoying car stuff, I loved it. It was probably my favorite episode in years. It’s nice to not have everything be so screwball sometimes. It was also nice seeing Castle get to be more than the charismatic buffoon that he has turned into over the years.

35. RB912 says:

That was awesome!!!

36. Jo says:

Fantastic ep. Loved it. Will rewatch again to catch things I probably missed because it was SO PACKED full of crazy 100 mph action. Oh, and Matt, it is Marcus Gates, not Grimes. Maybe Amy in the trunk reminded you of last night’s Walking Dead ep and you had Grimes on your mind… ; )

37. “The soap opera-raised kid in me hoped that you would leave Castle with a fake Kate and we don’t realize it until the season finale.” Too Lois & Clark/frog-eating Lois clone.

38. Jared Munson says:

Not to be nit pick, but in, “Yet that was Rick’s plan all along — too let 3XK lure him there, so that he could find Kate,” you use the wrong form of “to”.

39. Valerie says:

Great episode. I didn’t breathe once.. Super intense. Nathan Fillion knocked it out of the park with how dark he took Castle in tonight’s episodes.

How did no one pick up on what the showrunner said about Kate’s mythology still in “incubation”. Ummmmmmm that says “Preggers” at some point because Caskett did start baby talk on first part of this two-parter. I can’t say that I’m not surprised because it’s so cliche. I guarantee she’ll be pregnant by the end of the season. I sure hope I’m wrong because it would be nice to get another season or two before they breed.

40. Kristin says:

What about the girl in his trunk?

41. Lindsay says:

Part of me expected that to be a fake Beckett. Haha, been watching too much Fringe I guess :)

42. Lois says:

So intense and so good. I was on the edge the entire episode. I’ve never been so nervous watching this show. There were so many remarkable scenes. Also, I’m really glad 3XK is finally dead. What a great end for one of the most important characters in the show. Congrats to AWM, Rob Bowman and all the cast.

43. hello says:

I really liked the episode although it is not my favorite, it’s right up there.
    The best part was the acting and the twists of the plot. From the preview I expected Beckett to handle the Dr., but they really revved up the intensity to make it interesting. I like the look in Beckett’s eyes and although I knew something was coming I really like the way they had Beckett in a state of shock that followed her home and to bed and seeking and receiving comfort from Castle. Castle’s words were just right.
    Some wanted a big deep kiss between C and B but I like the way it played. Castle didn’t have to kiss Beckett, he showed his fear and relief when he scanned her face to see if she was harmed. The way Castle played the relief was very appropriate and more realistic then a bear hug.
    The script and the directing were very much in tune when everyone thought Castle went alone to save Beckett.
    The results really played into what Beckett had told Sir about Castle’s skills, that Castle used his ability in figuring out the story to outwit 3XK. This was a reflection back to figuring out Beckett’s story in FFYG. Now he used it to help save her, although Beckett saved herself.
    The weak parts were 3XK reason for his hostility toward Castle. Just to show he was smarter, many people had to die? (Stana really has great bone structure It’s like something a painter could achieve. Picasso? Not!).
    Dr Nieman’s reason was even weaker. What a face transplant? Just leave the country if she was afraid of recognition. The facilities the doctor had were not conducive for anything. Not even to remove a hang nail.
    But the story was very entertaining and very well acted by everyone. Why sweat the small things. Loved when Castle told Espo to take the shot. Totally disguised. We were led to believe Castle was still talking to 3Xk and the same thing when we thought Castle was talking to himself at the 12th. He was planning with Ryan and Espo. Simply brilliant. Good job Marlowe. .
    My only real complaint is I wanted to see Lanie pacing and fearful for her friend with the others.
    Finally, a big and loud clap that Castle PI is over. Reason was weak for dropping the PI but the reason for the banishment was also weak.
    Very good acting all around. Very good ‘needed’ episode. They can return to silly and I won’t complain ‘For Now’. Mars??? Please.

• Harvey says:

They are serial killers! No reason can justify them! Dr Nieman was obsesses with Kate’s face, it wasn’t even about fleeing, as they obviously didn’t leave much evidence, it was just obsession, psychopath! Jerry didn’t like the fact he was outsmarted, enough to come back for revenge by killing people. Psychopath! It wasn’t like a Senator type situation or a assassin whose killing for no reason would have looked odd, the story’s about psychos here. Since the time 3XK came, he should never have ever returned for Castle, he should just have left, he did because he is obsessed.

44. RBA says:

So the “new mythology” is now just “the vanishing”…. Matt.. I think Amann didn’t really want to answer your question about the “new mythology” because they are trying to get away from that failed attempt to launch a new arc… All the talk Marlowe and Amann did last May and over the summer about how great this “new mythology” would be is reduced to “the vanishing”.

For once I want someone to hold them accountable and get them to admit that perhaps they made a mistake with last season’s finale and the opening two episodes of the season.

• hello says:

Please let the ‘new mythology’ rest in peace. Please, pretty please.
      We all make make mistakes, at least theirs is just on paper. Let it go.

• Katherine215 says:

I like the new mythology and don’t think it was a mistake. Don’t assume your opinion is shared by the rest of the world…

• RBA says:

at least it is shared by 2 million people who have left the show when compare to last year.

• NF and SK fan aways says:

no not necessarily true at all…..some like it some hate it. I enjoyed it but it is time to move on to something else.

• NF and SK fan aways says:

and did you interview these so called 2 million people and find out if that’s why they left the show or did they just find (i hate to say this) a better show?

45. Really glad this is over – the plastic surgery angle is ludicrous, like something right out of a daytime soap.
    Plus, as has already been mentioned – plastic surgery doesn’t alter your vocal chords!

• John NYC says:

It was Tyson, so no plastic surgery and no need for altered vocal cords. It was him all along.

That’s why Castke had to let himself be captured so they’d get Tyson on record admitting who he was. And they did.

46. Mary says:

It was fabulous, one of the best from the entire series, io!

47. DMCo says:

I thought last week’s episode was great, but this week’s was FANTASTIC!! I was literally on the edge of my seat the whole hour. This show never ceases to amaze me. That’s why an 8th season is needed

48. Kim says:

A fitting ending to the 3XK mythology. Love this show!!

49. Thoughtful fan says:

It was really disappointing that Kate was so easily tricked at the end of part 1. You’d expect her always to bring backup with her when a known serial killer is threatening her.

50. Thoughts on upcoming mythology of Kate Beckett. We know she became a cop because of her mother’s murder. We also know she wanted to be a lawyer before her mother died. I say she toys with the idea of going to law school. In the back of my mind I always had her thinking of going back to school to become a lawyer. Or maybe she is now finally looking to climb the ladder at the precinct. Maybe aspiring to be a captain – hey Nikii Heat just accepted that position in Castle’s latest novel.

Whatever it is, I think Beckett will be questioning her job and how that equates to raising a child with Castle. Maybe she will be revisiting a law career or looking to move up in rank.

• Harvey says:

Although I don’t think lawyer thing would come back, starting everything again would obviously not be on her mind, I think she will think about her future. Mother case was the biggest deal, and that’s done. She is about justice and all, but would be thinking about raising a family too. Might take off time from work, might think about higher positions.