Middle's Charlie McDermott to Lead CBS' Super Clyde Pilot — What of Axl?!

Charlie McDermott CBS Pilot

What the Heck?

With ABC yet to renew The Middle for a seventh season — and with that cast’s contracts up this spring — Charlie McDermott has signed on as the lead in CBS’ Super Clyde pilot, our sister site Deadline reports.

Penned by Greg Garcia (My Name Is Earl), the comedy follows a meek, unassuming fast-food worker who finds his calling. (This marks Super Clyde‘s second go-around as a pilot; Harry Potter‘s pal Rupert Grint previously filled the title role.)

Deadline reports that Middle producer Warner Bros. TV has yet to approach several cast members (McDermott included) about inking new contracts, without a renewal deal in place from ABC (which has yet to announce any scripted pick-ups for the 2015-16 season).

If CBS orders Super Clyde to series in May, McDermott could ostensibly switch to recurring status on The Middle, with Axl away at college and all/not needed for every episode.

If The Middle gets renewed, can it move on with less Axl?

1. The Middle wouldn’t be the same without Axl. The problem is ABC waits until the last minute (May) to renew their series. Currently, ABC is the only network that hasn’t announce early renewals.

2. Kate says:

Maybe this will inspire ABC to start renewing shows earlier, especially those that have actors’ contracts expiring. It’s so frustrating that they wait so long. I just don’t understand it!

• They haven’t in a while unfortunately and it still doesn’t look like they will.

• David4 says:

It’s really silly they wait so long. Just renew the shows so then actors know they have a job and can look into getting new contracts. Right now is pilot season and if I was on an ABC show I’d be looking for new things.

• Gail says:

Isn’t usually the other way around when an actor’s contract is up for renewal? They sign the actors and then renew the show. No point in renewing a show if you don’t have the actors unless you are fairly certain the actors will resign.

• David4 says:

No, it’s always this way, it’s a union thing. You need to renew the show before anyone can even start talking to the actors. It seems odd but you are renewing the show and not the actors.

3. N says:

I love Axl ! I think the show cab go on without him ;-P

4. Hamish says:

While the show can probably go on without Axl, it couldn’t continue without Eden Sher’s Sue. The twist at the end of this week’s show was great…

5. TVNerd says:

I knew this was coming…The Goldbergs has been getting higher ratings between the Middle and Modern Family and could easily become the new Wed 8 pm anchor…ABC would be nice if they gave the Middle a final season on Friday or Tuesday, but they might be ruthless with a cancellation since the ratings are mediocre, but solid, and consistent but it’s an aging series with somewhat expensive cast. And it’s not a water-cooler or award-winning show, it’s just an okay comedy for them.

Here is my prediction of ABC 2015-16:
    Monday: 8 pm: DWTS 2 hours 10 pm: NEW Runner or Of Kings & Prophets
    Tues: 8 pm: Agents of Shield or Beyond the Tank 9 pm: NEW Quantico or Agents of Shield 10 pm: Castle
    Wed: 8 pm: The Goldbergs
    8:30 pm: Fresh of the Boat or NEW Chev & Bev
    9 pm: Modern Family
    9:30 pm: Blackish/NEW The Brainy Bunch midseason
    10 pm: NEW Flesh & Blood
    Thurs: 8 pm: Grey’s Anatomy 9 pm: Scandal 10 pm: How to get Away with Murder/NEW The Catch Midseason
    Fri: 8 pm: Last Man Standing 8:30 pm: The Middle Final or NEW comedy 9 pm: Shark Tank 10 pm: 20/20
    Sun: 8 pm: Once Upon a Time 9 pm: Nashville 10 pm: Revenge (Final Season 13 eps) Replaced with Secrets & Lies or NEW show

• But Revenge’s sub 1s ratings aren’t mediocre? Not to mention your schedule has way too many shows ending.

Thankfully you’re not in charge, otherwise you’ll sink the network.

• anonymouse says:

but I do like his idea of moving Nashville AFTER OUAT.

• It would be better in the 10 PM spot especially if it’s the final season or Tuesdays, either one of the weak time slots would suffice and possibly Castle.

My point still stands, that’s way too many shows ending all at once on his schedule.

• TVNerd says:

What do mean…I only have 3 shows ending/cancelled: Resurrection, Forever, Cristela and short final season for Revenge and I only have 3-4 new dramas and 1-2 new comedies which is what they always do…

• I was talking about your schedule for next season where you possibly have 3 veteran dramas ending at once.

That’s not what they always do.

Oh and for your comment about mediocre ratings, Revenge’s sank below 1.0 for the past few episodes.

• TVNerd says:

Technically, Agent Carter/Galavant are midseason break shows but they will probably be cancelled too along with early cancelled shows: Manhattan Love Story and Selfie

• I wasn’t talking about those shows and btw those are bridge series. I never said anything about their renewal prospects even though it seems obvious at this point.

I was talking about the veteran series that you have as possibly ending at the same time.

• TVNerd says:

What do you mean 3 veteran dramas ending? And yeah Revenge will most likely be cancelled with a new show at 9 pm and Nashville at 10 pm

• Nevermind, I thought the Final was referring to all those shows.

• TVNerd says:

Revenge might be cancelled too but I remember they gave Private Practice a nice farewell 13 episode season 6 so I was thinking they might do the same for Revenge but they might not and it could be a surprise series finale this May like Brothers & Sisters

I don’t have too many shows ending: Resurrection, Cristela, and Forever

• Private Practice was cancelled in that respective season and it didn’t sink as low as Revenge did.

Brothers and Sister did NOT get a final season, it was also cancelled in its respective season.

Again, I was talking about the veteran shows you possibly have ending on your next season schedule.

• Case in point, BOTH shows were cancelled and neither of them sank below a 1.0 like Revenge did, oh and based on your grading system a sub 1.0 is a cancellation except for CW shows.

• N says:

I love Forever and Revenge! Give them both something!

• KatsMom says:

You seem to ignore the reality that 8/7c shows tend to have lower ratings because it’s so early in the evening that many people aren’t ready to sit down and watch anything yet. Those of us with young kids are still trying to get them to bed and whatnot at 8:00. By 8:30, if I’m lucky, sure, I can sit down and enjoy The Goldbergs. But, it takes a small miracle/children being punished with early bedtimes, for me to be able to sit down at 8:00 and watch The Middle live. It’s even more problematic for those in the central time zone. My husband’s rarely home from work by 7:00. We’re certainly not thinking about sitting down to watch TV then.

• Matt says:

After what happened with suburagory (sp?) Which posted good ratings between mf and the middle but sank elsewhere, ABC will likely renew The Middle but shift it to fridays. Moving goldbergs would be too risky and ending the middle now would not give the network any wiggle room. They would also need to launch two new comedies on wednesday instead of lauching one on friday and the middle could pair well with last man standing.

• Lisa says:

I have always thought Nashville belongs on Sunday night. It pairs well with Once Upon A Time

• Davis says:

The Middles rating are just as good as The Middle and has a bigger viewership.

• Roxanne says:

I admit The Goldbergs is a great show, but Fresh of the Boat, really? Within the family category it`s in, along with much stronger shows like Modern Family, the only thing it has going for it is newness. I give it one more season max IF they conjure up something exciting stat.

6. Dan says:

Gonna be weird to see Axl (and Sue) be someone else. I just hope The Middle can have closure whenever they decide to wrap it.

7. zagsfan says:

I’ll miss him but the show would be fine if he’s only recurring. It’s such a great show, I wish it got more recognition and more viewers.

• cc says:

It’s also doing great in the reruns. It’s everywere. So someone must be watching, and I’m
      sure tptb have taken notice.

8. Betsy says:

boo! i wish we could have had Super Clyde with Rupert Grint! he was perfectly unassuming and I loved the pilot. boo again . . .

9. Diz says:

The show could easily survive. I find him annoying most of the time .

• WMJ4520 says:

I agree. He’s really a one-note character (slacker) and when they have him do something atypical (i.e. help Sue), it just comes across as unrealistic.

• JB says:

Agree. He’s just a stupid slacker…could someone THAT stupid even survive at college?
      They couldn’t in my day.

10. David4 says:

He isn’t needed every episode right now either, but it won’t be the same without him.

That said writers who live in LA need to understand when they your show takes place in Indiana on February 13th two college students will not be outside without their shoes on (never mind coat and hat) in a bouncy house. (I can forgive you for the trees having leaves.)

• HA!! I thought the same thing (I’m in Michigan with 1 foot of snow, and a -30 wind chill today). :)

• David4 says:

It’s like the Glee episode that aired after the Super Bowl. The show was in Ohio and it was February and there was leaves on all the trees and o snow on the ground to play football. No one plays football in February because the Super Bowl. It was silly.

Happy National Radio Day, aka February 13th, let’s go outside in summer clothing to play in a bouncy house?! Even if you fake it with “Hey it’s a warm winter”, at least wear a sweater. haha

• T says:

I often say the same thing about the Goldbergs. Don’t get me wrong- LOVE the Goldbergs but the way they have scenes in Nov-Feb where it is warm and sunny outside makes me wonder if they have ever been to Philly.

11. ndixit says:

So they are replacing Rupert Grint, the reason the Super Clyde pilot had an traction after it wasn’t picked up, to Charlie. That’s a major step down in terms of having a well known lead. I’m disappointed. Half the reason the Super Clyde pilot was so good was because of the warm chemistry between Grint and Fry. Grint was perfectly cast in the role.

12. Ines says:

Since his character is in college, he no longer needs to be there at all times. If his show gets picked up, keep him as a recurring instead of regular. Not seeing what’s all the fuss.

13. Ram510 says:

Ouch! I can’t imagine Wednesday without The Middle. I always figured The Middle would get at least 1 more season. But an Axl-less season wouldn’t be too fun cause he provide most of the comedic charm

14. Jared says:

Smart move by Charlie. Potentially starring in his own sitcom is exactly what The Middle was supposed to do for his career.

• David4 says:

Not only that but staring in a show that can go on for 5+ more seasons is just a good idea. The Middle will not be around for another 5 years. I hope Modern Family won’t be either but they will milk that crap into the grave.

15. Brandon says:

This is not okay.

16. Seems like a waste: I saw the original pilot, concept feels way too specific.

17. J. Norman says:

Axl leaving wouldn’t help the show, but I don’t think it would particularly hurt it either. Especially if he indeed continued as a recurring character.
    Of the 5 main characters, I would rate them in this order of importance
    Frankie
    Brick
    Sue
    Mike
    Axl

18. cc says:

No. The shows success relys on the chemisty of the five members of the family. Each member is an ingredient which has made it a successfull whole!

• savvysearch says:

This is not the Big Bang Theory, where if a few actors really do anchor the show. The Middle relies heavily on their chemistry as an ensemble. But unlike “Everybody Loves Raymond” where an actor leaving would kill the show, The Middle couldn’t probably survive without any one character, with the exception of Frankie.

19. cc5 says:

Yes but I’d hate to see less of Axl. The kid/man/actor is just great. Love him. Hope for the best for him.

20. Sallie Anne says:

WHAT?
    What about Rupert grint???

21. shagamu says:

As much as I like Axl, the fact that the character still hangs with his family so often, even though he’s supposed to be in college, feels forced to me. I wouldn’t mind if he were downgraded to recurring status next season, but that would be hard to justify if Sue ended up going to the same college.

22. Television says:

no, no, no, keep the middle exactly the same as it is

23. Well, it seems with Darrin proposing to Sue, perhaps the Middle will reach its end..

24. Is this kid that plays Axl on the middle any relation to Dylon Mcdermott?

25. Eric Heavrin says:

I don’t watch the show because of Axl. Axl is at college, he should be in the show less. What teenage boy, at college, with a girlfriend, goes home so much without her?

Beside, I watch for the interaction between Mike and Frankie, and the family as a whole. Brick is coming into his own and his line is interesting. Sue had a huge surprise.

Mike is my favorite character by far. Mostly because he and I are a lot alike.

26. dsrbroadway says:

Hopefully, they’ll renew The Middle. (It’s a great show more should be watching.) I can live with Charlie on a recurring basis, if it came to that. He’s not on all the time now anyway. Maybe they can pre-film a bunch of scenes in batches and sprinkle them in?

27. Mika02 says:

Sorry I don’t think this will be successful with out Rupert Grint.

28. Alyssa says:

Tbh, I really liked the Super Clyde pilot the last time around, was totally bummed it wasn’t picked up. Curious to see what this redo might bring…

29. cyclone says:

I saw the Original Super Clyde pilot with Rupert Grint and as HUGE Harry Potter fan I was surprised A-how easily I accepted Rupert’s American accent being so used to his British accent for over 10 years and B- How really good the pilot and story were. I was really surprised that it didn’t get picked up. I don’t watch the middle and I don’t know who this kid is but I hope he can bring the same likability to the character and show as Rupert did and the show does get picked up this time around.

30. PATTY BARTLEY says:

I Believe it would be fine, he’s in college so it could be easy to see him go

31. Carla Wolf says:

I love Forever, never miss it. kill off something else, like Revenge or Grey’s….

32. I saw the Super Clyde pilot with Rupert Grint, and thought it was sweet and amusing. Makes you wonder what they think Charlie McDermott will do differently. I like him as Axl, one note as they’ve made the character in the last couple of years, but given that Rupert was coming off Harry Potter and is a “name”, well it’s an interesting move. The person to watch now is Eden Sher (Sue), if she signs a pilot deal, then the show is over…..a little Brick goes a long way.

33. donna says:

i am 49 and love this show! I don’t know how the show could survive without him unless Sue ends up married,im sooooo hoping he signs on!

34. Doug says:

They might as well cancel “Revenge”. A # of us stopped watching when ABC started those 3-4 wk breaks in-between shows. It got to the point where it had been so long since the previous show, that you had forgotten where the plotline was. I used to love the show. ABC is screwing’ up big time!

35. Sue says:

NO!!!! I enjoy the Middle, don’t cancel it. please.

36. I like Axl in the story. Without him, it wil lbe just Sue, complaining over and over again and the little kid is a bore.

37. Drea mo says:

Literally one of the most underestimated shows…writing is hilarious, the kids are awesome and so are the parents..this show is SO real. It beats modern family in my book every time!

38. cherese says:

The middle needs all of the cast, they are an excellent cast and all are need. ABC, please don’t let Axl go.

39. KevyB says:

Less Axl is better. Sue and Brick are weird but endearing. Axl is far more annoying and he’s been even more so since he’s gone to college. Less of him means more of Sue in college, which we NEED!

40. tomus225 says:

Yes! I hate his snarky charcter!

41. Jamie says:

I’m late in the game when it comes to “The Middle”- only in the past few months have I discovered the fun comedy of the show. I would miss the genius banter and extremely well acted roll of Axel. FYI- I was also late to appreciate “Everybody Loves Raymond” and look forward to watching it in reruns. Patrica Heaton is excellent in both shows- two great Mom’s!

42. Susan Gomez says:

I do think they could get along without a lot of Axle for awhile, but he is a big part of the show! I would still watch it.

43. Dan says:

A shame, another decent show shot. I don’t know about these execs with the networks…and I’m tired of “reality” shows. Well I hope it works out for them, but I have a feeling….

44. Super Clyde will be 1 heck of a super-hero comedy starring Charlie McDermott.

45. Pam says:

will not watch if McDermott is no longer on the show. Sue’s character is becoming ridiculous and Brick is too annoying for words.

46. Cindie Pearce says:

This is a great show! Last night I was laughing my ass off at the “field trip” episode. I PVR them and watch at my leisure. This is one of THE FUNNIEST sitcoms on T.V.! We need this show to turn our lousy, tired days into small distant memories and remember that life does have its funny times! Keep it rolling guys! And we need Axl!

47. John says:

Can a car make it on three wheels ?

48. John says:

Duh, All the wheels wouldn’t be there without Axl.

49. cate cooper says:

Axl is a self centered idiot with moments of niceness. Sue cannot be that clueless and gullible,, if she is she would be dead in real life. Brick is a horrible little boy. The parents should never have had children they are some of the worst parents on tv. This show should be cancelled

50. Mark says:

Axls character hasn’t developed since first season. He’s what? 22? He still acts like he’s 15. He’s the reason why I don’t like watching the show lately. I’m glad he’s gone!!!!