My Sweet Fat Valentina: ABC Family Developing Series Based on Telenovela

Valentina ABC Family

A new primetime soap described as “Revenge meets Ugly Betty“? OK, ABC Family, you’ve got our attention.

The network is developing an American format of the Venezuelan telenovela Mi Gorda Bella Valentina — yes, that translates to My Sweet Fat Valentina — our sister site Deadline reports.

The drama follows Valentina, a young woman who goes into hiding after her mother is murdered. Suspecting that her mom was killed by a relative in order to gain control of the family business, Valentina returns home 10 years later with a new look (pictured above) and a new agenda: Get revenge for her mother, and take back her company.

Valentina is being produced by Aaron Kaplan’s Kapital Entertainment, which was responsible for adapting Chasing Life from its original Mexican format.

Would you make room on your DVR for ValentinaDrop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Vanessa says:

I liked this novela it was hilarious and dramatic, but i mostly enjoyed the love stories from the supporting characters , so I hope they incorporate those characters as well! super excited, i guess they are noticing the success Jane the Virgin is having on the CW. I’m curious to see how they will adapt this one.

2. James says:

Who’s going to be Orestes?

BUt seriously, Valentine took probably a dozen episodes before she went under the knife in Mi Gorda Bella as there was actually a lot of story to be told about her and her crush Orestes.

3. Im totally in with this, now my curiousity is who will be orestes and valentina, the telenovela was really funny, fresh and hilarius

4. Lore says:

I watched it i love it, i want it now!!!!

5. Lorena says:

El lirio de plata…

6. Diva DIary says:

I love a good revenge story. America hasn’t been able to pull it off yet. I’m talking to you Revenge.

7. Fernanda says:

Hollywood found RCTV (Radio Caracas Television) formats the new gold mine for female shows.

I hope this show will be made as a dramedy ala Desperate Housewife style (like Devious Maids who is based on a mexican dramedy sitcom)

8. Summer says:

If this ends up being anything like Ugly Betty and Jane the Virgin, I’m entirely onboard.

9. Parax94 says:

Great plot idea ! I like it !

But the fact that it is a ABC Family show just sounds ruins it all.

10. Chris says:

This Looks interesting. This was one of my favorite novellas of all time. One thing Bella means beautiful not sweet. One of the messages of the novella was that she was a beautiful woman no matter her weight.

11. Alex says:

Loved this soap! Do it!

12. Rinnie says:

My very first novela! I’m delighted to hear that news but your summary is a bit off… (unless it’s the summary for the American version ?) The picture you showed is how she ORIGINALLY is. After Valentina graduates from high school her mother dies in an “accident” and she finds herself living with her relatives who bully her because she’s fat but mostly because she is to inherit her mother’s estate, it’s only later (after 60 episodes and an attempt on her life!) that she realizes her parents’ death was no accident, goes into hiding and comes back with a new look (and I mean a SUPER TOP MODEL new look) to seek revenge, and take back her estate.

13. Tammie says:

If they stick to the same story line I will definitely watch it. I was glued to the original show I loved it.