Exclusive

Video: Gotham Stars Preview Graysons' Introduction — Plus: Is That the Joker??

Gotham Joker

This Monday on Gotham (Fox, 8/7c), Jim and Leslie’s have a date at the circus — and with death.

Because as Ben McKenzie and Morena Baccarin discuss in the exclusive video below, the nascent lovebirds’ night out on the town is soured by murder. And as the case unfolds, viewers will meet the acrobat parents (played by Rob Gorrie and Abbie Snee) of lore’s oneday Dick Grayson aka Robin.

Also glimpsed in the video, as in the promo that’s been airing for “The Blind Fortune Teller,” Shameless‘ Cameron Monaghan makes his debut as Jerome, whose locks, leer and laugh are those of a real joker. But is he the Joker?

“Not necessarily…,” showrunner Bruno Heller tells TVLine, “but it’s not a bait-and-switch or red herring. That character is the true beginning of the Joker saga — the first page of the first chapter of the story that brings the villain known as Joker to life. And that’s what I’ll say about that!”

Press play to see what else McKenzie, Baccarin and Donal Logue have to say.

1. Joey says:

Whenever I hear someone say, “It’s not a red herring,” that usually translates to, “This is 100% a red herring.”

2. CK says:

So Robin’s parents and (maybe) young adult Joker in the same episode. I’m intrigued in a comedic way. I hope they get to Mr. Freeze, Bane, Ra’s Al Ghul, and Dead shot before the season is over. I actually enjoy Gotham, but these origin stories are not going to have any real payoff until they do a time jump. I hope this Joker Saga is pretty good though.

3. James says:

I’ve been hoping it is a red herring…it is way too early for THE joker to be introduced. There are already enough classic villains being built up. The joker has never been my favorite anyway, I find the riddler and hush much more interesting.

4. bj says:

unavailable…very annoying.

5. David4 says:

It’s probably some made up character that the person we know as Joker takes over his personality after tis guy is killed or something silly.

6. isee says:

I much preferred the early theory that various episodes would have a small tease or nod to something or someone that could be Joker-related without ever giving an actual origin, just things that you would have to pay attention to see and make you go “could that be…?” and then never mention it again, and have something completely different the next episode

7. Ashley says:

looks like ian never bothered to control that bipolar disorder… instead he took the baby and ran to gotham

8. Amanda says:

I too think this Jerome isn’t who will become The Joker but is connected to whoever will be. The writers did say they were going to include The Red Hood gang this season and there is a story in the comics that who became The Joker came out of this gang, but there were other members. So maybe Jerome is the friend of who will become The Joker Bruce faces, and he modeled himself after Jerome like a copycat. Then the real actor playing The Joker will be casted for season 2.

9. Nora says:

Honestly, I’m just waiting for Edward to finally snap at everyone who mistreated him.

10. J.B. says:

The way he described the character it could turn out to be the Joker’s father. Considering how the show ignores a lot of the ages of the characters in the comics (and a lot of their true origins) I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the case.

11. Monica says:

He could be the joker or Mad hatter dont think the mad hatter name jerome either but that laugh is like the joker laugh but i remember aint joker name jack not jerome wth the get jerome from if he suppose to be the joker.

12. Monica says:

Now i think he not the joker maybe he connected to the joker jerome lmao.

13. OA says:

I’m sure he’s probably not the Joker but I sure wish he was just because I love his acting in Shameless. We’ll see, I guess?

14. lee says:

He is not the joker. The joker is the boy who picked up the red hood after the shootout at the last bank. Jokers alias redhood duh