Exclusive

Castle Casts Enterprise's Linda Park as... Beckett's New Partner?

Castle Cast Linda Park

Following Castle‘s late-February “mission to Mars,” Detective Kate Beckett will fall back to Earth, partnered with a fellow femme who’s even better at crimefighting than she is.

Series boss David Amann tells TVLine that in this season’s 17th episode, to air sometime in March, Star Trek: Enterprise alum Linda Park will fill the role of a hot-shot Hong Kong cop that Beckett “is paired up with, somewhat unwillingly.”

Amann describes Park’s Inspector Zhang as “kind of like Beckett, except even better, so that puts Beckett in a bit of a tailspin, to be dealing with somebody who in her eyes is more accomplished and proficient.”

Since her four-season run as Enterprise Ensign Hoshi Sato, Park has appeared on such TV series as Women’s Murder Club, Starz’s Crash, The Mentalist, NCIS and, most recently, Legends.

Castle continues Season 7 this Monday at 10/9c, with the conclusion of the “Resurrection”/”Reckoning” sweeps two-parter.

1. Kate says:

so castle and beckett are going to continue to not be partners? that’s a terrible decision.

• S. says:

You have no idea. I love that you just assume something will be awful without having seen it. Not something a fan of a show should be doing (I can really imagine you tensing up at that comment because people love to get defensive even if something’s true). You don’t even have a tiny bit of faith in the writers? When I have that feeling, I don’t watch a show. It’s not some sort of ‘don’t ever criticize the show’ argument on my part. It’s saying that you just wrote them off based on some hate for an idea you’ve fleshed out in your head. You’re not hating the show, you’re hating the fake show you’re imagining. Such a waste of time. You completely lack the capacity to give it a fair chance. They’ve executed the other not-partnered (at the precinct to be specific) episodes well. To refuse to acknowledge that is ridiculous. Acting like they’re not sorta still working together is also ridiculous. It’s just not as official NYPD partners, besides which they’re married. They’re the ultimate partners. If you want legitimate complaining, do it about things that people can agree are debatable, e.g. Beckett going off by herself. Acting like you know you’re gonna hate a show because you’re cranky about a relatively brief story line that’s completely earned up to this point? Meh.

• Kate says:

“not something a fan of the show should be doing”
        haha. way to dictate what YOU think other fans should be doing. lock it up.

• NF and SK fan aways says:

you’re right, one they are working together in a way and people are mad cause they’re not side by side. I can’t stand those kinda of people and who’s to say this new partner isn’t just for an esp or two……I think that it’s getting out of “their” (people who like them side-by-side) comfort zone and they don’t like it. deal with it or leave the show. to me season 7 is the best one yet. I just love to see them at all.

• sigh says:

Whoa, take it easy… You’ve turned Kate’s one tiny comment into an entire paragraph of attack?? Some of us can not like the separation of Castle/Beckett. Don’t know why that’s such a big deal to you.

• Rich Abey says:

No its not a terrible decision. Ever since Rick became a P.I their unique banter (that we love sooo much) is back, there is more spice in the romance division with plenty of role-playing (that makes our Caskett hearts flutter!) & the writers have been able to devote more time to Espo, Ryan & even Perlmutter. Besides I think it’s a genius move cause it helped the writers give a different perspective to the Caskettt relationship.

2. Cassie says:

First Beckett’s storyline of the season #abouttime #betterlatethannever

3. Alex says:

Yay Beckett ! Finally ! Maybe one day we’ll have Castle and her working together …

• DL says:

They’re still constantly working together anyway. And it’s only been a handful of episodes. As a Castle fan since day 1, I really don’t get these complaints. /sigh

• Just one thing says:

It’s really just an unfortunate creative issue that’s plagued the show for years. When Beckett was aggressively driving storylines, Castle passively supported her to some degree.
        Now that Castle is driving storylines this season, Beckett is passively supporting him – though perhaps to a greater degree than was the reverse in past seasons.
        I really appreciate seeing Castle passionately drive story, particularly in defense of his wife, because I feel like those deep, deep emotions for Beckett have been rather subdued. And anything that makes Castle serious will always entertain me.
        But it is odd to consider this season and not have much to say as far as Beckett’s development has gone. Even when they seemed to stall Castle’s development, he still had opportunities to shine in different standalone episodes.
        This season, Beckett has taken a major step back in the story dept., and one of the only reasons why she often shines in a given episode is often because Stana Katic consistently plays Beckett as straight-up, hands down, no-holds-barred, head-over-high-heels in love with Castle.

• lkh says:

Hi JOT Well said. I was trying to figure out what has been going on–it seems, unlike the ‘old days’ they can’t both lead. It seems the recipe is one up front the other behind. It’s like a camera time kinda thing–maybe. Beckett is reduced to a nodding spouse these days. We’ll see what happens the next couple of weeks.

• R says:

“Beckett is reduced to a nodding spouse these days.” What an appropriate label for what has been going on. I’ve been racking my brain for weeks trying to aptly put a name to what Kate Beckett has been reduced to. I finally found it thanks to you. There is no more tension between Castle and Beckett anymore (I use tension in the most endearing way possible, think Final Frontier as opposed to Always) Beckett simply doesn’t stand up for herself anymore. It you’ll notice there is about two shots every episode of Kate looking at Castle as if he is her whole world. Of course there is nothing inherently wrong with that. We all want Kate to be madly in love with Castle and vice versa. Unfortunately it starts to feel disengenious when she has no response to Castle’s antics (this is specifically applicable during the P.I. experiment) It also starts to feel like a double standard. Castle, in the past, has rightfully called Beckett out on her bullcrap. We have yet to see Beckett do anything but nod, smile, and follow Castle’s lead.

• Just one thing says:

I don’t watch episodes more than once, so I may be forgetting key episode details, but I think your “nodding spouse” comparison is somewhat true.
            Beckett is still badass, because she’s Beckett. And it’s good that she handles Castle’s antics with endearment, supporting him as he supported her for years. But, as you both say, it’s odd that Kate doesn’t really get to push Rick or challenge him like he did her.

• S. says:

Oh for God’s sake, she’s being a supportive spouse for a time that could’ve left her husband miserable and feeling unfulfilled. She’s sent him people/cases. She got him pulled back into the 3XK case. People gripe if Beckett and Castle aren’t constantly making out. They gripe if Beckett’s looking at Castle with love. I repeat, oh for God’s sake. No wonder the divorce rate is what it is if people can’t recognize healthy relationships. That’s not being passive. It’s not taking a role that isn’t equal. It’s what caring partners do. And about what R says about Castle’s “antics.” Antics? He’s trying to stay with something he enjoys, get his fix being a participant in crime solving instead of only writing about it. He can’t do it at the precinct. He’s supposed to do that where exactly? He also has romanticized being a PI and is getting a chance to learn it’s not what he thought. Martha and Kate are watching afar with concern but support, like a mother and spouse should do. Telling someone they’re full of it is not some sign of honest love. Sometimes you might say ‘are you sure?’ and then back them up til they figure something out on their own. When Castle calls her out on things like hearing the “I love you” or that she’s dating guys she didn’t love, it was a personal barrier she had up. This isn’t a personal barrier at all for Castle. He doesn’t need tough love yet. The man’s rich too. If he wants to spend his life tending bar at that place he bought, he can. It’d be weird, but whatever. It’s the best he can do right now. I’m glad he’s got such supportive family members.

• lkh says:

S-as long as it’s for God’s sake.

• Rich Abey says:

Yeah…someday…we’ll meet again!

• Nicole says:

Beckett getting a new partner is not such a bad thing i mean maybe they are preparing us for when she gets pregnant if so i welcome the change. I kinda liked Castle being a PI i saw a little more of him sometimes and i felt he had something that he could call his that’s not related to just being a writer and tagging along with Beckett where ever she went on a case.

• NF and SK fan always says:

me too, I loved him being a PI and her getting a new partner can be fun if written good! I love season 7 so far!

4. Disappointing says:

They really want to lower Beckett in every way since For Better or Worse :/

5. Tran says:

With Castle now as a PI, can’t imagine seeing that smokin’ hot Beckett teaming up with a so-called female partner.

6. Alex says:

They are capable of making her hit on Castle and Beckett being jealous of her … After all one ep after In the Belly of the Beast a geisha was kissing him …
    I was hoping the PI arc would be done by now.

7. James D says:

Nice Hoshi’s back on my TV screen. I’m actually glad that they’re prolonging the Castle PI arc i’ve been enjoying it and IMO has add a lot to the show. And the idea of Linda being better than Beckett sounds very juicy can’t wait to watch the inevitable teasing she’ll get at the hands of Castle.

8. Kate says:

Better than Beckett?!?!?

9. R says:

Gag, so not only will Castle and Beckett not be working together, but the episode is going to be all about how her new “partner” is better than her. I don’t think anybody could have predicted how applicable Marlowe’s comments after FBOW would be about taking Beckett down a peg. TBTB are certainly doing everything in their power to degrade Beckett into a character that no longtime viewer would recognize.

• Just one thing says:

Or they could be setting Beckett up for triumphant vindication.

• R says:

Could they, absolutely. However, given the way Beckett has been written this season I don’t have much faith in the writers. Honestly, I don’t even believe the writers recognize what they are doing to Beckett anyways. It is the problem that has plagued this show for years; Marlowe & Co. cannot consistently write both C&B up to their potentials at the same time. The most tragic part is that Castle hasn’t even been written particularly well this season. They have just taken the same flaws in the way he has been written and put him front and center. And I couldn’t agree more with you on the fact that Beckett is getting way less of an opportunity to shine than Castle did when Beckett was driving the show (ex: Probable Cause, Target/Hunt, Number One Fan, LFLD, etc) Beckett literally has had nothing to do this season. If I hadn’t seen every episode of Castle multiple times I wouldn’t even consider Beckett to be a lead character this season.

• lkh says:

agree to some extent. I think the biggest ‘slap in the face’ for that character came in 6/23 when it turned out she didn’t remember she was married. It may seem minor, but clearly Beckett would have never been there. Since then, this season, Beckett of old has been disappearing.

• Just one thing says:

I try to overlook the bizarre episode that was 6×23, because I like Eddie McClintock, and he, Fillion and Katic were really fun together. Under different circumstances, where they didn’t rewrite history and make Beckett look like a half-wit to even the matrimony playing field, and had the episode not ended with (or lead into) some of the oddest melodrama the show has ever displayed… 6×23 would’ve been a lot of fun.

• lkh says:

JOT–you mean if they hadn’t had written it the way they did, it would have been good! :D :D :D

• Just one thing says:

Haha, yes. Had the story not been crafted with the characters being twisted as a means to an end for the plot. Like the last three episodes of season five. LOL
            I’m hopeful that we don’t see any eleventh-hour silliness this season. Though, if we do start seeing that in April, it’ll be safe to say they’ve been unofficially renewed by the network, and they’re just laying the groundwork for a final season.

• DarkDefender says:

I still don’t get why people think Beckett not realizing she got married young is such a deal breaker of her character. 19 year old Kate was a completely different person before her mother died. She was a wild, rebellious Fangirl who was into bad boys. The strong, independent, walled up, badass, “one and done” Beckett came much later.. I would say after she became a cop. Her not knowing she was married not as big of a deal as, say, the FBI not discovering it in a background check and asking her about it.

• Beckstle says:

@DarkDefender It’s not about the fact that she got drunk in Vegas and got married that annoys people. It’s the idea that she wouldn’t know it was legal that’s ridiculous. A Drive-through wedding chapel still requires paperwork. They would have had to obtained a marriage license. It’s fast in Vegas, but it still has to be done.

If Beckett had just said she didn’t really remember it, or it was fuzzy because she was drunk that would be one thing. You could chalk it up to youthful nonsense, ala Britney Spears. However,what she says is that she knows that she did it, but didn’t think it was legal. There are only two possibilities. Either she really didn’t file the paperwork and something else is going on that will someday be revealed, or the daughter of two lawyers filled out, signed, and paid for a marriage license but somehow didn’t think it counted. That, it what makes her look stupid and what is annoying. I don’t think the idea that Beckett would be rebellious or go to Vegas is the issue.

The background checks is another huge hole in this plot, which is why I keep thinking/hoping that whenever they wrap up this Castle mythology we’ll find out that the Beckett marriage was planted to somehow stall the wedding or get Castle and Beckett separated so that he could be taken. That at least would make some kind of sense.

• lkh says:

wow Beckstle, what an interesting theory. haven’t seen that before. I would be so relieved to see some rationale for that ‘marriage’.

• lkh says:

DD–good to see that you survived that birthday–wasn’t so bad after all, eh?

I may have over stated that it was a big slap in the face, but I do think it marked a change in the character, perhaps not for the better. So I see it as the beginning of this dramatic (what I call ‘dramatic’) change in her. This after the week before when we saw Veritas. Didn’t seem ok to me.

As far as her youth, yup, will all do that stuff, I guess–maybe not all of us. Even if she was a bit wild and dated bad boys, marrying would be a separate thing all together. And I don’t think that one and done philosophy came to her later in life–I think such things are ingrained earlier than that. I guess the bottom line is that I just saw it to be inconsistent with what we had seen from her. It seemed to me to be just a filler to create that episode.

10. Ky says:

Take a breath and find some logic, people. Castle will be back to being her partner by the end of Monday. This chick will be something along the lines of Colin Hunt but more badass because she won’t have that awful accent. I can’t wait!

• NF and SK fan aways says:

I was thinking on the lines of 6×1 where she had a partner for a few espo, just like that. we don’t even know if she’s say staying on the show. relax people and enjoy the show!

11. K says:

Wow. They are not degrading Becket tor lowering her moral high ground just because another woman is coming into the precinct and threatening Beckett. I think Beckett is going to be professionally jealous that this woman is better than her work wise

12. I don’t care who they get or if they are better at crime-fighting than Beckett…no one will ever replace Stana Katic/Beckett on this show. If she goes, Castle goes…it’s that simple!

• Mission on Mars…..Castle will be there cause we have seen Castle and Beckett lot of pictures with their astronautes`outfit.

• NF and SK fan aways says:

you mean he’s actually going to live out another one of his dreams…….ha ha ha . can’t wait to see that!

@michele:

you got that right no one can replace her, she’s the best-she kicks a$$!

13. Emma says:

Why stana would like to sign for another season when every single episode is about putting her down like the last episode, the new york finest would never make such a rookie mistake like going alone to pick up a witness, it’s really sad that they can’t write a season focusing in one character without the need of putting the other down, in the way.

14. JBKD says:

Let’s recap…..Fillion throws a tantrum, doesn’t show up for work one day, tells the producers to “fix it” about Castle being minimized, and lastly the POS that was 6×23. Now we get 2 shows of some lame a– new mythology, Beckett now background noise and so poorly written she’s unrecognizable….when she gets any part of the story. Heck even Fillion said on Larry King’s web show that he would like Castle in real life because he’s too over the top. And peopl wonder why the ratings stink up the joint? If I was Katic I would run as far and fast as I could to something worthy if her talent. And Fillion can keep making the rounds of Comic Con. Unbelievable how far of the reservation this show has gone.

• It`s awfull all the crap you are capable to write.

• Just one thing says:

I have a hard time believing that Fillion threw a tantrum for the reasons that were reported.
      I honestly think that the network’s simultaneous shenanigans and neglect have led to this odd sense of uncertainty by both fans and those not wholly in the know. Because there’s no way the cast and crew on that set could have the stellar reputation they have if they were a bunch of divas. So many actors take to social media to sing these guys’ praises, it’s really rather remarkable.
      I can’t shake the notion that ABC decided back in 2013 that Castle would focus as much on the title character as their promotional material has all along. No matter how much the series has focused on Beckett in the past, if you go by ABC marketing, Castle is about Nathan Fillion. And also about Caskett. The end.
      All that said, I believe ratings started declining this time last year – and incidentally at the height of the Johanna Beckett story resolution. I think season seven ratings would’ve been lackluster even if Beckett had donned a cape and mask in her newfound quest for vigilante justice. Heck, season seven ratings probably would’ve continued to be lackluster had they had the Wedding of the Century last May and started an insta-family in September.
      It’s probably not an individual storyline that’s contributing to Castle’s viewership decline. It’s simply because Castle is a procedural show that’s never been appointment television – but also one that loads of people enjoy at some point throughout the week.

• lkh says:

The interesting thing about this show from day one was that Castle is a storyteller–his observations and knowledge provided the stories–he wasn’t really the center of the story. We knew what he saw at the 12th, at home, at work with Beckett, etc. We didn’t know Beckett privately, unless he knew it or could know it, we didn’t know about his past, but we knew his daughter’s issues and his mother’s, etc. When I say he is (was) the storyteller people think I must be talking about a voice over-no- and yes, it’s not 100% true but it’s close. Now we’re seeing his story, sorta, and a bit boring I might add, and not getting anything from the other characters. He was the observer and now he’s been cast into the limelight with everyone else standing around. It’s just a little off still…

• AliceInWonderland says:

” I can’t shake the notion that ABC decided back in 2013 that Castle would focus as much on the title character as their promotional material has all along. No matter how much the series has focused on Beckett in the past, if you go by ABC marketing, Castle is about Nathan Fillion. And also about Caskett. The end”

ABC’s lack of promotion for Veritas, one of the most important episodes of the entire series, says it all.

• nb says:

You’re recapping some fanboards fantasies and your own assumptions, not facts. No situation is ever as simple as you would like, and people aren’t black and white. I get it that it’s very tempting to blame everything you dislike about direction of the show on one person, whom you coincidentally also dislike (Fillion), but don’t you find this coincidence too apt?

• ndixit says:

Nice little story you concocted there. Just the reason why I dislike some of the Castle fandom so much at times. No evidence of any such thing and you go around spewing your hate. This sort of talk is what pisses me off. I love Katic, but her fans seem to think that she’s the almighty of acting and can’t tolerate the fact that the first time in years, Fillion is actually getting some material to work with. Given Katic’s own wholehearted support of the season’s direction, I’m sure she agrees with you thoroughly.

• Lenb says:

But what material ? Doing the clown ? That’s my complain about this year, they wanted to focus on Castle fine, but they’ve turned him into a character that I don’t even like anymore most of the time. They could have shown us an interesting side of him at least, but it isn’t what they’ve done until now.

• nb says:

I believe it was in response to the poster who said that, basically, Fillion makes the writers write whatever he wants, and that last year’s finale and everything that’s not right with the Beckett character is because of his involvement. Whether you like this season or not, had any issuees with previous seasons or not, prefer one characer or another, there are no facts to blame it all on Fillion, or Katic or whomever. It’s just gossipmongering.

• ndixit says:

I don’t like him being a clown either but at least in the first PI episode, they showed him to be independently resourceful. Something which he hasn’t been in years. This year they have shown that he has connections that have helped him solve cases. Again, first time in years. He’s had more material to chew on than he has had in a long time. It just annoys me when posters try to dump blame on an actor for stuff they don’t like when in reality they have no clue about what has really been going on.

15. Lizo says:

OMG YES!!!! This is excellent casting.

16. Rich Abey says:

This is an intriguing development. Usually you have the guy tailing the cop meet somebody whose apparently better than him for ex. better writers, psychics etc. So it should be fun to see Kate traipsing around with a better version of herself (though seriously no one is really better than Kate Beckett..she is the best!)

17. leah says:

I think this is crazy!!! I watch the show for the dynamic between Beckett & Castle. Their chemistry is great..so why mess with that??!!! You almost lost me when Castle was banned from the precinct..but I stay because of the great storyline between the character. Do not add another character..just go deeper with the characters already there…….Espo..Ryan..Lannie and the Captain.

• Harry_Wild says:

Captain might get fired soon, since she disobeyed the D.A. and Mayor wishes to have Richard Castle banned from the squad and 12th Precinct!

18. John NYC says:

Awesome choice. I’ve long been a fan of hers.

19. Harry_Wild says:

If ratings are any indication; the first part had something like a 1.6 and week before it had 1.4 rating. So I think viewership is falling off! Not sure if it is better competition or that viewers just don’t like the separation.

But now; I would prefer Richard Castle either being written off the show; at least minimumized in his appearances since he not in the loop anymore. A spin off would be okay to called: Castle:PI. Fillion negotiations is probably happening right now too! If Fillion want more $$$; he should start his own show!

• John NYC says:

The title character doesn’t get written off. And all the mouth breathing over a secondary casting is just amusing.

• David says:

Ohhh??? John NYC??? Anything is possible AND there is ALWAYS a first time for everything…just sayin’ Anyway, the “season of Castle” isn’t working. A lot of viewers are turned off & it “ain’t lookin'” good for Fillion with a slew of canceled shows up his sleeves. Focus on him more & the show is on the down-slide. For me, I’d rather watch the 12th with everyone intact: Beckett, Javi, Ryan, Gates, LT, Karpowski etc. Toss Fillion so he’ll have more time Comic-Conning & will stop mentioning any more of the “sacrifices” he keeps lamenting in ALL interviews ad nauseum. As if he’s the only one sacrificing. You don’t hear anybody else say that. He does. ALL the frickin’ time!!! Be grateful for a successful show, dude! It’s your first…and possibly your last. Savor it.

• nb says:

You seem to be focused exclusively on Nathan Fillion for some reason, not on his character, or writing for his character or writing for the whole show at that. I’ve seen decline in quality for at least last 3 seasons, but it never occurred to me that it was all one actor’s fault.
          Your bitterness though should be spread on everyone connected to the show in this case, because “it ain’t looking good” for all of them and it’s the biggest success for all of them too, not just Fillion. Btw I heard him talking about “sacrifices” that are made by the whole crew and cast while doing the show, not just him. What I heard, he was specifically talking about people in the crew who have children and have to spend less time with them because of late nights and all. Maybe I haven’t heard everything, but it didn’t came across to me like he was ever bitching about his situation while everyone else is a happy camper. Heard him thanking his lucky stars for the show, and heard other cast members moaning about long days. It’s just life, it’s not black and white.

Very predictable to go read about Castle casting news on TVline, and stumble on both, reasonable critical discussion about the show, and bitter fans full of vitriol towards actors for things out of said actors’ control or even totally unconnected (like digs about Comicon).

• John NYC says:

No “Castle” and there’s no “Castle”. Really rather straightforward. He’s what is called, I beleive, The Title Character.

You want a new show go pitch it.

• wesleydv09 says:

Oh man how sad and pathetic these people hating on an actor are. To some people everything Fillion says or does is seen as bad and makes him a jackass. Really grow up. All these comments from people of how bad Fillion is, and how the show is now crap because for the first time in years it is focusing on Castle, reminds me again how sad and pathetic a part of the fandom can be.

• NF and SK fan aways says:

wow, i don’t like where the show is going all the time but i don’t bash or blame the actors, grow up people if you don’t like a show then go find something else to watch, hey I know a lot of reality show you can!

• lame says:

Are you joking, the series is call “Castle”.

20. nada a ver ela ser melhor que a beckett parece muito desengoçada ao meu ver e na minha opinião ninguém e melhor que a beckett

21. e ainda tem mais comparando stana katic com essa Linda Park stana da de dez a zero nela em beleza e como atriz e também como uma mulher incrivel

22. Aneva says:

I am also not interested in any new characters. How about expanding on the current ones?? We have seen so very little of Alexis and Martha and not much more of Lanie, Ryan, and Espo.. I really miss these guys. They are major contributors to the success of the program…

• sigh says:

I agree with you! It’s not like I want a whole background episode devoted to one of the other characters, but why not maximize everyone else’s involvement like they used to?

• NF and SK fan aways says:

you got that right I don’t want any new characters I wan the old ones back!

23. Ahmed says:

Whats left for Castle after 3XK? His disappearance. Other stuff we have to wait on some creativity from David. This is absolutely the way to go to add different dimension to a series that have told almost all of its stories full circle

24. Harry_Wild says:

The 6th and 7th seasons of Castle is just too much happening to the major characters for me to take it seriously anymore….. to melodrama now! I only watch it now occasionally and watch the earlier season on TNT; which I feel are much better production wise.

I think they need to go back to the old way of the plot; where they solve murder cases; instead of focusing on either Beckett or Castles personal melodramas.

I have spoken now with several people who use to be Castle fanatics and they don’t even watch the current episodes because they feel like me!

25. lame says:

For the record, Fillion was making a point of having to wait three to four hours on set before his first scene was shot. Until he was a no show the studio hadn’t listen. After, adjustments were made. That is using your status for the benefit of all the cast. That doesn’t sound selfish to me.