Once Upon a Time: Agnes Bruckner to Recur — as a Troublemaker?

Once Upon a Time Agnes Bruckner

Once Upon a Time has cast Agnes Bruckner in a recurring — and quite possibly mischievous — new role.

As first reported by The Hollywood Reporter, the 24 and Private Practice alum has been booked for a three-episode arc on the ABC series, though no details on her character or the timing of her debut were shared by the trade.

Yet Bruckner seems to perfectly fit a casting call that recently went out for the role of “Autumn,” a charismatic and fiercely independent woman who “easily wraps others into her schemes.” Yet despite her “penchant for troublemaking,” the casting notice reads, “Autumn” “just wants to be loved.” Alas, her misguided methods typically wind up alienating those she loves most.

Also of note: the casting call for “Autumn” specifies brunette hair, hence my going with an older photo of the recently blonde Bruckner — if that is who she’s playing.

Bruckner’s previous TV credits also include Covert Affairs, the title role in Lifetime’s Anna Nicole Smith biopic and A&E’s adaptation of the French series The Returned, which premieres March 9.

Any knee-jerk theories on who brunette “Autumn” might be?

1. Morgan_thinks7 says:

Potentially Lily? Brunette, troublemaker. It seems to fit.

2. Serena says:

It’s totally adult Lily, isn’t it?

3. Amanda says:

Killian’s mother maybe? The casting call sounds like a female version of him and I remember the writers saying when season 4 started we were going to get Killian’s father in the 2nd half and that backstory about his parents. Depends if Agnes is her or not. If not my guess is someone connected to Cruella or Maleficent.

• Kyle says:

No offense, but the moment OUAT wastes three full episodes on Hook’s parents is when they’ve finally jumped the shark. He’s a nice supportive typ of chara and all, but most original main characters didn’t have more than 1 or 2 episodes with their parents over the course of 4 and a half seasons and Hook is much less relevant to the show’s overall mythology than those core characters.

• meresger says:

Which probably means they’ll do just that. They all have boners for Hook, after all. Seriously, though, *another* misguided creep who just wants to be loved? This will be yet another likely pointless arc that will retcon the main characters and take away from their stories. Does every character on this show have to be a jerk who just wants a hug? It’s getting to the point of absurdity! In that respect, OUAT *has* jumped the shark. They’ve apparently decided that other than Pan, every villain has to be a misunderstood softie who just wants cuddles because their mommy didn’t love them enough and their daddy was a jerk who drank, left, died or all of the above.

• abz says:

A huge part of this show from the very beginning has been the idea that evil isn’t born, it’s made. We’ve seen that with the main characters Regina and Rumple and we’ve seen that with others like Zelena, Hook, Ingrid and others. What are you expecting? That they’re just gonna be evil for absolutely no reason whatsoever?
          Emotional neglect, drug/alcohol abuse, death and loss, abandonment, etc., are all adverse experiences that have effects on individuals as they grow up and change their lives significantly. If these characters didn’t feel anything after they lost a parent or were heavily neglected, then there would be something even more wrong with them.

• Amanda says:

None taken, however there have been theories that Killian’s father might be the author/the sorcerer which would cause his parents’ backstory to be important. They have held off on showing us who his parents are for a reason and his dad is supposed to finally show up in this 2nd half. I don’t think Agnes is Lilly since that character was Latina. I also think she could be Aurora’s mother or somehow connected to Cruella. Others think she could be a goddess from Greek myth. Either way I can’t wait to see who she is.

• Katie says:

Amanda, this is not necessarily intended towards you, especially since you were so polite before, just a general statement: I honestly don’t believe there’s any way they’d make Hook connected to the Author. The only thing people can agree on when it comes to Hook is that he is an extremely polarizing character. You either love him or hate him. And if the writers took what is basically the last major mystery of the show and made it about Hook people (myself included) would probably be furious. I like your suggestion about Aurora’s mother, especially since I think they look kind of similar?

• Quen says:

Yeah, I agree and I agree with some of what Kyle said. Hook came into the show in s2 after it’s been shaped by the Charmings, Emma, Regina, Henry and Rumple. Hook is an addition to that and he works as such. Like Belle. But he’s never going to be on the same level as these other characters. Also because he’s much older than most of them and doesn’t exist in the same timeframe in flashbacks as they do 99% of the time. There’s just a level of disconnect there that the show can’t get past unless they do stuff like the time travel episode.
            Now, the mystery involving the book and questions about where it came from, who wrote it, how it ended up in Storybrooke, etc? That goes way back to the very beginning of the show and the central characters. Especially Regina, Snow, Henry and Emma. I would definitely feel cheated if they suddenly made it about a character who came in later and has no ties to the origin of that story.
            I can see why his fans would want and maybe especially because of the existing disconnect and how OUAT struggles to make Hook relevant beyond being Emma’s boyfriend. But this is too important a story, imo, for them to mess with it like that. For once, I’d like the writers to remember the show’s roots and treat them with the respect they deserve.

• Isobel says:

agree she’s not Lily. on Hook’s disconnect, connecting to Rumple as they’ve done previously sort of works, maybe they can connect him as well to Ursula and Ariel given his pirate background

4. MintyFresh says:

Because this show needs more characters.

5. MintyFresh says:

And, if this is Lily? Casting fail.

6. Anna says:

Is anyone else getting concerned with so many characters appearing in the 2nd half of the season? We have 3 Queens of Darkness King Stefan Posiden August Zelena & now her. One of my problems with the Frozen arc (even though I enjoyed it) was that the main characters were sidelined so often. Can they cool it with the guest stars for awhile & focus more on Snow Charming Emma Hook Regina Rumple & Henry for awhile? Charming is especially someone I’d like to see more focus on since his last big episode was 4X02.

• Ben says:

King Stefan and Poseidon are only one-episode characters and are important for the vilians backstory. There were always one-episode characters, so I don’t mind them. But you’re right with the Frozen characters, they took away alot screentime.

They should concentrate on Emma, Regina and Hook again. I don’t need a Charming episode again.

• danyelle says:

THANK YOU. Drives me batty when people use 1-episode characters as “proof” the cast is getting crowded. Every episode of every series has guest-stars lol

• abz says:

Exactly. It’s like all some people seem to want is the original characters to just sit around and talk for the entire season. If Ursula and Maleficent are on the show, how can you not expect to see Aurora, Ariel, Poseidon and King Stefan at some point in an episode or two? Just like with Wizard of Oz last season. Were they not supposed to have Dorothy or Glinda the Good Witch? Or Peter Pan, were we not supposed to see the Darlings or Felix or Tinkerbell? You cannot have a show without guest stars. And chances are these guest stars will serve to enhance the storylines or development of the main characters as well in particular with the case Zelena and August and perhaps this new woman if she turns out to be Lily will definitely have an impact on Emma.
        Also I know its a matter of taste, but for the life of me I can never understand why anyone would WANT another Charming-centric episode. His character is absolutely DULL the majority of the time and is fine the way he is right now. Standing in the background or infused into other people’s storylines at certain points when needed.

• Anna says:

I had no idea these characters were one episode stars so that does make me feel better about it all. It’s definitly a matter of taste for character preferences but personally Charming is my favorite character on the show and his centric episodes are my favorites of the series. I dislike when he’s standing in the background or just hanging around. I personally don’t think Charming is a boring character and love how brave, noble and loving he is. To me, Rumbelle and Regina’s episodes are boring and Charming’s episodes are more exciting to me. But I know everyone has different tastes. I don’t see the need to point out that you think someone else’s favorite character is boring and hope they don’t get a centric episode. I hope everyone gets heavy focus on all their favorite characters, INCLUDING Charming.

• abz says:

I’m not saying that you shouldn’t like him (I don’t get how he can be anyone’s favourite, but of course we all have different tastes), I just felt like expressing my opinion of him which is that he is incredibly boring and completely uninteresting and your comment is one of the extremely few I’ve read or heard saying that Charming’s their favourite character.
            On the whole, even though his episodes have served the plot and other character developments in the past. I find his episodes to be the weakest ones when considering the show overall. I don’t think he’s the kind of character than can/able to or even should carry an episode by himself the way that other characters can. I personally find him better used as a prop for other character’s stories (i.e., Emma, Snow, Henry) and seeing him interact in present day if needed. But in the end, the writers will do what they want so I have no control over his character. You will most likely get to see another episode for him somewhere down the line.

• Anna says:

Abz (for some reason, it’s not letting me reply to your second post but anyway)

I know what you were saying, I just wanted to defend him a little and show that there are fans of his out there. I’ve never found him boring (and personally, I don’t see how anyone can dislike him) and like I said his episodes especially (Snow Falls, The Shepard, his storyline in Land Without Magic, Good Form, Lady of The Lake, 7:15 A.M., ect. ) are my very favorites of the show. I do think his character does a good job of carrying the episodes that he’s had a big role in. But, I understand that, like you said, we all have different opinions and views on characters and episodes (for example, I don’t like Skin Deep much and I know that’s a fan favorite). I personally, love Charming’s character because of how protective and brave and good he is. I fell in love with his character with the scene in the Pilot when he protected baby Emma in his arms from the guards. And I feel the show is better and more exciting when he has a big focus like in White Out. But, we do all have our own preferences to characters and can probably agree to disagree. Like you said, we have no control over what the writers write for their show and characters. I hope you’re right though and while I’d love for him to be the main focus all the time, I’ll be happy if I get a few big episodes for him every so often like we usually do every season anyway. And I do hope your favorite characters get heavy focus too.

• abz says:

Thanks, Anna for your kind reply. Hopefully, the next episode they do with him, maybe I’ll end up liking it as much as you do or at least I hope it ties heavily with the overall storyline for 4B rather than just a random one-off episode like that Rapunzel one from last season. In the end, I like the show a lot overall so I watch all the episodes and even if I don’t like the character at least I’ll stay up to date with the story.
            I’d like to see Maleficent address the whole situation with him putting the egg in her. That would be fun to see. She’s got to have been annoyed by that since Emma ended up killing her dragon form just to get it.

• Anna says:

You’re welcome and I do hope you enjoy his next centric episode whenever he gets one. Like you I watch every episode even if it’s a character I don’t like because I don’t want to miss anything. That’s right that he put the egg in her! I’d love for the writers to address that. That was a big scene in the season 1 finale.

• aurat22 says:

I am! I got a little nervous when it said recurring but three episodes isn’t that bad. Guest Stars are necessary but I think this show has started to over book to the point where it’s short changing the stories of every single one of the regular characters, both main and supporting.

• Anna says:

I agree and this is what I was saying. As much as I enjoyed the Frozen storyline, I started getting impatient waiting on Emma, Hook, Snow and Regina to get storylines again.

• Anna says:

Forgot to add Charming to Emma, Hook, Snow and Regina storylines. But for me, the Frozen storyline was best when it connected the characters to the mains like Charming’s friendships with Anna and Kristoff.

• Josh says:

And Emma and Elsa being an awesome duo! I’m sad that they couldn’t stick around Elsa was the best friend Emma needs.

• K says:

Hook got a thousand times more screentime in 4A than he needed or deserved. Maybe give some to the underutilized main cast like Belle, Will, and Henry instead (and Regina and Snow should have more screentime than they did in 4A, at least).

• Quen says:

Henry should seriously get more screentime again. It’s disappointing how he’s been sidelined and I’m on the fence about Emma joining Operation Mongoose now that it’s really getting interesting for that very reason. I thought Operation Mongoose was gonna be first and foremost Henry’s (and Regina’s) story. Now I’m afraid he’ll be sidelined in that too because Emma’s the savior and let’s be real she hasn’t done a whole lotta saving lately so maybe this is them trying to make up for that. I hope I’m wrong. I mean, I love Emma, but she and Hook had the most screentime in 4a by far so it’s not like you gotta worry about them. But others were seriously pushed aside and I didn’t like that.

• Theodore says:

Agree with that point, though not with Will. Why is he even a “main” character?

7. jenna says:

better not be lily i dont know if i can stomach her again so soon… im hoping its with killians or robins backstory we were all told we would get more…. that or shes tied to the book

8. Andy J says:

It would be kind of awesome if Agnes Bruckner’s character would be called Endora.

9. sparkzer0 says:

Worst case scenario: Recast of the Red Queen/Anastasia.

I hope the others are right and it’s “just” adult Lily.

10. Jennifer says:

Definitely sounds like Lily. I would love that.

11. Guest says:

Oh goody another baddy who all they want is looooove. Yawn. Give me a bad guy who just loves to be bad please! Come on writers I know you can do better than this! The first 2 seasons were amazing what happened to that!?

12. Lisa says:

She doesnt look like Lily and she’s not even latina. can’t see how she’s Lily now.

13. Brad says:

I saw a picture where she was blonde. Certainly looks the part of Aurora’s mother – and since we know she interacted with Maleficent in the past and was even cursed to sleep by her before Aurora, this makes sense to introduce her now along with King Stefan.

14. rachelle says:

Totally thought Lily.

15. Asiandude says:

Drizella! With Will in StoryBrooke and Anastasia will crossover from Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, it just fits that we need Drizella!

16. Fred says:

Agnes is playing Lily (Malef’s Daughter) in adult form.