Arrow Recap: Truths or Consequences

Arrow Thea Learns Secret

This week on The CW’s Arrow, Oliver and Laurel each debated the decision to disclose potentially damaging truths to loved ones — in the end, who all ‘fessed up?

There was much to like about “Canaries,” though the titular, well-hyped face-off(s) frankly came up short for me. The fight sequences, because they needed to be one-sided, weren’t especially spectacular. Plus, the similar costumes/wigs made them tricky to follow. Laurel’s best hallucinatory moments instead were the more emotional ones, such as when Vertigo “transformed” into an angry Quentin, or when a proud “Sara” beamed at her sister, from above.

Most everything else in the episode was quite satisfying, namely because what could have been a dreadfully repetitive slog — had Thea taken umbrage at Oliver’s years of duplicity — instead was refreshingly warm and rational, as she saw the value of his alter ego. All those times Thea thought Ollie a flake and or a liar, “You were saving someone,” she observes.

Thea, though, did have a beef with Canariesdaddy Malcolm, for driving a wedge between her and Oliver, all the while knowing his secret. This conflict set up some interesting conversations — Oliver/Thea, Thea/Malcolm, Thea/Roy — as well as dovetailed into the Team Arrow tension, when Oliver booted Thea from the Foundry.

Now that scene, I had an issue with. Namely, that the team’s declaration of newfound independence was voiced solely by Felicity, while Diggle stood there with his arms folded. I “get” that the words were meant to have an added layer of sting, given that Felicity was coming from the place of a woman scorned. But c’mon. To hear Diggle — who’s already been sidelined from the ops — own half of that oration would just as much socked Oliver.

That shortcoming was thankfully offset by the subsequent scene at the bar, where Diggle laid it out plainly for Oliver: The team has evolved into something else, a cause that can live beyond its founder — so, “Can you live with what it’s become?”

Though the Canary clashes fell short, I appreciate the storyline purpose they served, as Laurel — also informed by a pep talk (and hug!) from Felicity — came to realize that she can’t and shouldn’t be Sara, that she should be herself.

And part of that epiphany, goosed by the vertigo hallucinations, led Laurel to come clean to her father — though at first he thought she was confessing to being the new Canary. She could have sought an out there, but instead she forged ahead and made him realize that Sara had died. Really nice work by Paul Blackthorne in that brief breakdown, as Quentin sobbed, “Not my baby, not again!”

Eventually, after cheating death at duplicitous deejay Chase’s hand, Thea acknowledged Malcolm’s role in their greater mission, to fend off Ra’s al Ghul — though she vows to never forgive him his trespasses. Malcolm then tells Oliver and Thea that to ever face Ra’s, they must first conquer any fears the League overlord may use against them as a weapon. So Oliver bids the team adieu, as he and his sister make camp on Lian Yu….

Meanwhile, in flashbacks: Before fleeing Hong Kong with Tatsu, Maseo urged Oliver to go public with his “resurrection,” to make it harder for A.R.G.U.S. to kill him for the Alpha betrayal. And though Oliver leaves a phone message for Moira, Waller has it erased, she reveals, after abducting him. Maseo later makes the sacrifice to come back for Oliver, thus landing himself back in Waller’s clutches. And as the episode closes, we see she has brought the two men to the site of their next mission: Starling City.

What did you think of “Canaries”?

1. Oliver fan. says:

Love your recap. I loved it. Thea knows. Quentin knows. Oliver knows that the team doesn’t need to be given orders. Malcolm knows how Oliver and Thea feel. It was revealing, entertaining. And for the 1 st time since season 1, I really liked Laurel.

2. See em says:

This may be the first time an episode bored me. Normally, I’m eyeing the clock not wanting the episode to end but this episode did nothing for me. The two main storylines of the episode hold little significance to me as a viewer other than Lance being (finally) told the truth like he’s an actual adult and Oliver’s relationship with Thea. I felt the villain was horribly under used and did no credit to such a fantastic actor. Felicity had very little screen time and what little she had was dissappointing. The only moment I wasn’t scrolling through Twitter or chatting with my friends was during the flashbacks and the Diggle/Oliver scene. The rest didn’t hold my attention. One too many mediocre episodes since the Xmas break for me.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The Villain of the Week was, yes, almost immaterial (save for his ability to make Laurel “see” Sara), and thus clumsy. I couldn’t recap his scheme for you if I tried, barely an hour after the fact.

• Anya says:

Could not agree more! I feel like the show is losing some of what made it so amazing; part of which is the dynamic of the trio.

• Wonka says:

Stop with the dynamic of the trio the story needs to contineu and be different. They need to twist the story a bit so it does not become boring.Many shows are like this they need to change the angle of the show in order to continue,

• Ben says:

Very terrible episode. Everyone acting out of character. I prefer the original trio as well.

• Jim says:

Sorry, but I rather enjoyed this episode. Vertigo helped Laurel deal with her doubts & fears, the truth has had it’s day & the new hierarchy (so to speak) is getting figured out. It wouldn’t have been realistic if everything went smoothly now that Ollie’s back. They need time to readjust & feel out where they belong.

• Alichat says:

I found the flashbacks to be boring. They didn’t interest me at all. I am ready for Maseo and Oliver to backhand Amanda Waller and be done with it. That is the only flashback I want to see. And I hate this twist that Oliver can’t tell Thea about her role in Sarah’s death because A) he’s trying to protect her (yes, that’s getting old), and B) because then she’d want nothing to do with Malcolm and any training or help he can give.

Oh….and completely off plot and totally superficial, but what was up with Felicity’s sleeves?? It was like the shirt didn’t fit her in the shoulders. I vote they take it out of Miss Smoak’s clothing rotation. That is all.

3. Rob Watkins says:

I enjoyed the episode a lot, though the writer’s need to work on the dialog.

The Bad: Again, the dialog needs fixing, Roy seemed more than fine working with Malcolm last week but not this week… Thea’s reasons for no longer trusting Malcolm rang false to me.

The Good: I like the team dynamic since Oliver’s return, Diggle’s scene with Oliver at the bar was nice, I would like more of that. Most of the stuff with Laurel. The part where Felicity says, “This is my favorite part”. The line was funny, but it’s her insistence that everyone watch was what made me laugh. I’m glad they killed off Chase, I was worried they were going to try and make us like the character over time, but killing him off like this worked well and Thea not falling for his trick was a great moment with her. I dug her reaction to finding out Oliver’s secret. The moment between Felicity and Laurel was good, I liked the sentiment, though the moment didn’t land as well as it should have due to the words Emily was given. Last, but by no means least, Lance finding out. I think a lot of people was expecting something awful like him having a heart attack or him yelling at Laurel, but his reaction rang true to me. It wasn’t anger, it was overwhelming grief. His line, “Not again” and Paul Blackthorne’s performance were heartbreaking.

• Dj says:

I can understand why Thea reasons for not trusting Malcolm seem false too you. I also think that she now feels that one reason Malcolm took such an interest in her wasn’t out of love but out of his hate of Oliver and wanting to use her against him. Which the funny thing is she doesn’t even know how right she is.

4. Eric7740 says:

Amazing Episode!!! Can’t wait to see brother and sister training and fighting together!!! I’m so excited for upcoming episodes!!! Arrow is can’t miss television!!!

5. carie says:

Can we give it to Katie Cassidy as MVP!! She knocked it out the park the entire episode.

When she was imagining Felicity as Sara to her telling her dad the truth. She was just wonderful throughout.

• Gordon Rick says:

LVP maybe. She spent most of the episode as a hapless punch bag for Vertigo / Sara / Quentin.

• m3rcnate says:

If anything this was a horrible episode for Laurel/Katie C. because it had her in full gear as the Canary in the same shot as Caity Lotz/Sara in full gear as the Canary….i already loved Caity’s version 10 fold…she has the MUCH more athletic/sturdy/muscular body (very crossfit) and IMO has a better richer character with a more interesting and richer back-story. Whats more Sara’s abilities as the Canary make sense (the years of training from the best assassins in the world) where as we are going to get the “official” Black Canary trained eventually by who? Oliver himself?
      So because of this episode putting them side by side in the same shot…God i miss Caity as Sara…makes me miss seeing Caity on TV being a badass (hurry up and get a series of your own Caity!).

• carie says:

You to obviously don’t know what real talent is.

Sara had 0 history because we never saw her grow as the BC. She came on strong. With Laurel we are seeing her train and fail and get back up and get better. And in the comics Black canary was never an assasian!! Like Felicity said Laurel has the light which makes her the true black canary.

This episode showed Katie is giving her all to this role and she aced it. Loved when she finally came to and beat the crap out of vertigo.

• wonderwall says:

Lol just because Sara’s full history wasn’t shown on screen doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist. Sara had all that history on the island, then the untapped history of her time with the LoA (which would’ve been far more compelling than Laurel’s history of alcohol/being angry at Oliver/drugs/being a terrible lawyer in general (seriously who doesn’t know the difference between obstruction of justice and perjury?)

• Jill says:

I thought not having to spend the time watching Sara become the Canary was a big advantage for the character.

This year has been such a mess, partly because we’re spending all the time on Laurel’s and Ray’s origin stories instead of Team Arrow.

In the comics, the Black Canary was an amazing martial arts fighting and became a vigilante so that no women or children needed to suffer at the hands of men. That was Sara.

• m3rcnate says:

EXACTLY! Thats exactly right. Because it skipped forward multiple years and we didnt have to see her suck and get her butt kicked and all that mundane stuff (like we are seeing with Laurel)…we got to see the amazing end product, a badass woman who is highly skilled and its not impossible to assume she could take down Oliver. How will that happen with Laurel?

• Rob Watkins says:

That’s not why Sara became a vigilante, she was an assassin and then ran away to look in on her family. She stayed because she couldn’t stand to go back and be a killer.

Both her and her sister have different journey’s and I look forward to seeing Laurel grow. I don’t see why that’s not interesting.

• m3rcnate says:

Sara had history with Oliver which was interesting (having an affair with her sisters boyfriend, “dying” at sea) and being rescued by Ivo, falling down a dark path but then being rescued by Oliver, then being on the island with Oliver, then “dying” again but being found by the LoA, then showing up in Starling City dressed as a vigilante protecting women against bad guys, then interacting with Oliver, them getting back into a relationship and working together, finding out she was in love with a woman (Ra’s daughter) and then trying to deal with her “dark” past and not being able to really work through it, breaking up with Oliver, then being murdered.
          ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! lol….how is that not x100 better than Laurel and her whining, and her drug addiction/alcohol addiction that magically disappeared after going to AA, or her now with some boxing lessons and self-defense classes at the YMCA going out dressed like her dead sister to fight crime (and suck at it). Laurel is not even half the character that Sara was. Sara had depth, had subtly, Sara was multi-dimensional…Laurel is flat, she is whiny, she isn’t believable as a vigilante or bad-ass, she is selfish and she is a brat.

It has been made abundantly clear this show is not going to follow the comics, so “BC was not an assassin in the comics” is a worthless argument. In the comics the Black Canary is Dinah Lance…so right there you got problems. Diggle didn’t exist, Felicity basically didnt exist, Oliver’s whole family is dead, Roy Harper’s nickname is speedy because of his cocaine addiction…you cant argue that something shouldn’t be a certain way because it isnt that way in the source material when the show blatantly diverges from the source materiel from the pilot on.

• Amber says:

I prefer sara to Laurel. Laurel as BC is really hard to watch, the writers should have allowed her to be trained perfectly before making her wear the costume. This episode was the worst for me.Looking forward to next week when Slade comes back

• Dj says:

Caity does look better in the costume. Katie looks so awkward more so because the wig doesn’t work for her. If they want to make LL the canary they need to redesign her look.

• Amelia says:

I completely agree but I think it’s more than just the wig. I feel like Laurel’s costume has too much going on. I feel like it’s just trying too hard and Sarah’s was simpler.

• derek117 says:

Wow! I expected the Laurel/Sara thing to pop-up, but I didn’t think it would come down to the costume. So, I’ll take it first…

Caity looks better in the costume, because she’s practically sewn into it. I read an interview last year with the Arrow costume person (I forget her name) saying that they have strap Caity in and cut her out. Caity has an almost zero-fat, dancer’s body, so the suit is like a second skin. Oh, and yes (for the Guys…and maybe some girls), Caity’s Canary suit shoves her, um, “girls” up her chest, so they almost pop out at you. Winner: Caity.

As for the character development of Laurel vs. Sara. The show’s creators/writers always intended for Laurel to become the Canary–and considered Katie Cassidy the Leading Lady of the show. No if, ands, or buts about it! They said so numerous times at ComicCon panels that I was at.

That said, the writers did a horrible job in developing Laurel…and, IMO, a much better job in developing Sara–who got the much richer backstory with the betrayal, forbidden loves (Oliver & Nyssa), being saved twice by evil people (Ivo, LOA), etc. etc. On the other hand, Laurel was just thrown at us in the first season as The Girl. Then in the second season her character development was all negative. So, there’s little wonder that fans have a hard time liking her. None of which is Katie Cassidy’s fault, IMO. The writers made some bad choices with her character (just as they’re making numerous bad choices with the entire 3d season), and Laurel’s believability and likability are suffering. Personally, I don’t think the show can correct this problem–but, I they probably owe it to Katie Cassidy to try.

Bottom line: this episode was confusing for a number of reason–and the resolutions that it contained (Captain Lance finding out about Sara, Thea’s advancement, Oliver’s acceptance of the team, Laurel becoming the Canary) all fell flat because of the uncreative narratives. Arrow Season 2 was my favorite show; but Season 3 has become a dvr-watch-later show.

6. Jake says:

This was the worst episode of the season for me. I am so completely over the sidelining of Diggle. How do you look right at an ex-special forces trained soldier who’s also your partner and then turn away and tell the recently vertigo-doped wannabe to “suit up”. Lame, lame, lame. Every character’s job this episode was to prop Laurel. It was clear the writers wanted her portrayed as an underdog we should pity. And they had no qualms about sacrificing other characters to do it. Not drinking the InstaCanary Kool-Aid. I’m so totally done with this. Not sure I’ll return if this is how it’s going to go. Pity, because this show used to be pretty good most of the time.

• Rob Watkins says:

You’ve just parroted the guy from the Arrow aftershow.

Diggle has a baby to think of.

InstaCanary, you mean the girl who keeps messing up in the field?

• See em says:

The sad thing is that the pity party is working. A man who spent 3 tours in a war zone and has EARNED his right to be called hero shouldn’t be watching the monitors in the Arrow cave. Heroes don’t need to wear masks and Diggle has proven this for the past 2 and a half years. Last week people were literally dying and Diggle is left on the comm. DYING! How does this make sense given Diggle’s more experienced with combat then anyone on Team Arrow?

• Rob Watkins says:

Diggle was out in the field last episode. No one’s not calling him a hero, and he’s also a father.

• See em says:

He’s been a father since September and that has nothing to do with anything. The writers themselves have agreed that this is a problem that has been miss handled this season and that Diggle shouldn’t be sidelined. (See Marc Guggenheim’s tumblr page). I’m sure the councilman who died two episodes ago had children too but instead of sending a war veteran into a hostage situation they sent lawyer with boxing lessons. Diggle committed to the mission after his child was born and that hasn’t changed he’s just had to unfairly warm the bench.

• Rob Watkins says:

Yes, 4 months, that’s still a new father. It has a lot to do with it. There’s a difference between a warzone and vigilantism. I’m not going to base my opinions on what is written on a Tumblr page. Having Diggle there wasn’t going to stop the alderman from dying.

• Jill says:

It makes no sense that Oliver would leave Diggle behind and take the inexperienced wounded newbie who is still suffering from the drug dose. That risks both Laurel and Oliver getting killed.
          The show has thrown logic and characterization out the window to make Laurel into the Black Canary.

• lizzie says:

Diggle was a father when Sara died, brother eye came into town, when hardness came into town, when Cupid came into town, when he went to corto Maltese… see what I’m getting at?

• Rob Watkins says:

I understand, and I’m not saying he should never go out there, but seeing as how he is a father, he doesn’t need to go out AS frequently. Please, rewatch the show because even before he was a dad, he wasn’t always out in the field. He’s a better character than just a guy that fights with Oliver. He’s a voice or reason and experience, like he was in this episode.

• Tina says:

I don’t like how Diggle has been sidelined recently. This episode was terrible. The writing is a mess this season is a mess. Everyone is acting out of character.

• GirlvsTV says:

I’m really worried about Digg’s future on this show because it is clear the writers have no idea what to do with him now that they have their shiny new ‘heroes’ to play with.

• Rob Watkins says:

There’s a Suicide Squad episode coming up, and I’m sure the writers will have some more interesting stuff for him. There’s more to the character than just being out in the field, and the scenes in the past few episodes have been a good illustration of that.

• Sara K says:

YAAAY….am I supposed to be excited about one episode for Diggle.

• Rob Watkins says:

Or you could drop the sarcasm and watch the rest of the season to see how it all plays out. Diggle is WAY more than just a guy who goes out in the field. Watch earlier seasons, he didn’t always go out in the field. He was most often used as the voice of reason and experience. I agree that he’s underutilized this season, but scenes like the one at the bar or when he said that he still thought of himself as Oliver’s bodyguard showcase how great a character he is. I don’t think he’s going anywhere.

• GirlvsTV says:

I <3 your sarcasm

• wonderwall says:

Apparently there are talks about making Diggle the Green Lantern… So apparently in order for someone to become relevant on this show again, they have to have a mask. Shoddy, lazy storytelling if you ask me.

• Rob Watkins says:

The only people clamoring for him to be John Stewart are comic book fans. Quit jumping to conclusions and calling it lazy writing because it’s not being written that way. Felicity and Diggle are written as heroic despite not wearing costumes.

• Drew says:

If a recent interview with David Ramsey is any indication, don’t worry about Diggle. He might have a pretty huge plotline coming up.

• Wonka says:

Calm down Arrow was renewed for Season 4, there will be plenty of episodes where Diggle and be front man

• Instacanary, Faux Canary, whatever she’s called … yeah, she is the reason I haven’t watched an episode since “Left Behind.” I’m somewhat interested in watching “Nanda Parbat” … it may be the deciding factor in whether I can get back into this show, or just have to move on.

Katie Cassidy will only take 40% the credit for killing off Arrow for me; the executive producers and writers get the other 60% for how stupidly they’ve handled that story arc.

• Anne says:

Yes. To all of this. InstaCanary has ruined this show for me. The lengths they have gone to try to prop up the laurel character are astonishing. What explanation is there? I don’t know that much about the comics or about how tv contracts work but it seems like they should have cut their losses in season 2 and taken another direction. Or maybe the writers just over estimated what they would be able to accomplish- and underestimated what fans can see through. I can’t say I’ll quit the show but it really is such a bummer to yell at the tv- and characters- during a show I used to absolutely love.

• Rob Watkins says:

Or maybe you don’t quite understand what Instant means. She’s constantly making mistakes. If she was the Canary like her sister, she’d be WAY better, but she’s on a learning curve.

7. GirlvsTV says:

This was the last straw for me and although it breaks my heart to say it, I do not enjoy this show any more. Except for the Oliver/Thea reveal, this episode was a mess. I guess it is too much to ask that characters behave consistently from episode to episode. Last week, Roy and Thea were all, “Yay, Malcolm! He killed over 500 people because he cares!” This week it’s, “Boo, Malcolm is terrible! He’s a liar! Next week it’ll be, “Lol, Malcolm! You got us!” And if Thea was that upset over feeling Malcolm manipulated her how do you think she’ll react to learning she was BRAINWASHED? And why in God’s name will no one tell her?!

————————-

The Sara’s Dead reveal left me absolutely cold because it has gone on WAY too long and I have no sympathy for Laurel not immediately telling Quentin when Sara died. The man already missed his chance to properly bury his daughter once and I find it abhorrent he was denied that opportunity once again.

————————–

I guess Team Arrow is now the, “We Hate Oliver Club.” I felt really bad for Oliver in that scene and hated everyone else. Even Felicity.

• GirlvsTV says:

And why will the show not acknowledge the fact that the only reason Thea was almost poisoned by Assassin!DJ was because her Father turned her into a target when he brainwashed her into murdering Sara?! But it is totally cool now, cause he wants to protect because that’s his job as a parent. Wtf?

• There are some truly bad character decisions being made by the writers and producers, definitely.

8. Nona says:

Let me get this straight. Oliver and Thea will train with Malcom to beat Rá´s and Oliver will no longer be part of Team Arrow as long as he is trainng with Malcolm? So who will be in charge and lead team Arrow, Felicity or Diggle?

• Rob Watkins says:

Oliver is still part of the team, it’s just not him always calling the shots. It’s a bit more democratic.

• Jill says:

Why would the team need Oliver now that they have Laurel?

After all, he said only last week he was never going to leave Starling City again. Now he’s back back to LIan Yu so both h e and Thea can become killers.

Let’s throw Tommy’s death and all of season 2 out the window, why not?

• m3rcnate says:

Heres the real question….in this day and age, how scary is one guy? Say Ra’s comes into town…for once (because you will supposedly do anything to save your sister) whip out some guns and shoot him dead. Diggle from a perch with a sniper rifle shoots at him..Canary and Roy shoot at him…hell whip use some money you got left in the bank and buy a RPG or M320 grenade launcher lol. But no…gotta fight with swords with honor or with a bow and arrow or hand to hand…and when someone does whip out a gun it instantly gets shot out of their hand by a arrow or they shoot 1000 rounds and miss every time.

• lizzie says:

this isy fav comment right now

• m3rcnate says:

Thanks. I mean i realize they have to find ways to not have characters die, they have to find ways to make people seem scary and un-killable, and that this is a comic book show. HOWEVER…he is one guy…do you really stick to fighting hand to hand or with a bow and arrow when your sisters life is on the line? Do you really fight “honorably” and take a sword to the gut and almost die leaving your family and friends and loved ones to go on without you? Lol.

I mean this can apply to other movies/tv shows as well….for example Batman vs Bane in the Nolan movies…why are they constantly fighting hand to hand? With all the lives in the balance, Batman should whip out a pistol and kneecap Bane permanently putting him in a wheel chair. Same with Oliver and Ra’s….he shows up, its a big stand off fight, Ra’s takes out a sword…and Oliver gives a hand signal and BAM…Diggle from 200 yards away shoots Ra’s in the chest with a .50cal sniper rifle. PROBLEM SOLVED.

• Luis says:

One guy? Why would you imagine the head of the League of Assassins would “come to town” by himself? The very real nature of this threat is the cadre of loyal, highly trained killers at Ra’s’ command,

• Dj says:

The only way to defeat Ra’s is in a way him and the LoA would consider honorable. Just gunning him down would have the whole league out for blood. The league would go scorched earth on Oliver and his family in seeking revenge for Ra’s.

9. wonderwall says:

I thought it was a terrible episode. I’m over the show sidelining Diggle. And I’m over the show using Felicity to prop nonentities like Laurel and Ray (which the show still hasn’t even really shown why their characters are important to the overall arc of the series which is kind of sad). I feel like there’s no purpose to this season other than to manufacture superheroes one after another (BC, Atom, Arsenal, whatever Thea’s meant to be). Like what is it even about right now? The EPs screwed the pooch with this season. I’m almost ready to write it off as a fail. Hopefully next season will be better. But I won’t hold my breath.

• Rob Watkins says:

The theme of this season is identity. In this episode, the identity of the group is different, and Laurel figured out she needed to be her own person, and not her sister.

We aren’t even all the way done for crying out loud.

Diggle has a kid, and he was fighting in the last episode. Even when he was out in the field more, he wasn’t out in the field in every episode.

• GirlvsTV says:

Totally agree with all of this, wonderwall. I’m sad to give it up, but I hate way more than I like at this point.

• “Almost ready” ?
      Good lord, what more do they have to do wrong?

• wonderwall says:

I guess I’m not ready to let go of the characters I love (Diggle, Felicity, and Oliver) yet even though I feel like they’re really being marginalized for the sake of the weaker characters on this show.

• Joy says:

Very useless episode. Using Felicity the second time to prop up Laurel was so annoying. Having Diggle sidelined so Laurel could go out and fight just doesn’t make any sense.

10. Gordon Rick says:

Worst episode of the two plus years I have been watching. Laurel has completed her “journey” to become Canary and it was as weak and boring as I thought it would be. Katie does not have the chops to pull this off. Thea goes from I love Merlyn to I hate Meryln in 1 episode. Gets upset and grabs the first guy she sees to do the horizontal rhumba with to get over it? And the guys just happens to have poison on him to attempt to kill Thea? Dig seemed to be a one dimensional prop and as Matt said, the fight scenes were off.

11. Briggs says:

I’m with Matt on this one: most of the ‘action’, so to speak, was already spoiled for us. The emotional bits, with ‘Sara’ and ‘Quentin’, were the more interesting parts. Katie’s strengths have always been dramatic, for me, and she sold Laurel’s emotions for me, this episode.
    Thea definitely came into her own in this episode. It was nice to see she didn’t have the reaction we expected, but I can see where it came from. He wound up being more than she thought he was, and she was *glad*. Some solid acting from Stephen, there, too, as Oliver took a moment to realize that Thea *didn’t* hate him. That was a genuine reaction, and I enjoyed that coming through as he slowly hugged her back. A really nice moment for both WH and SA.
    Her attitude toward Malcolm was a shock. I mean, not a huge one, but I hadn’t realized she’d been living on a knife’s edge, like that. Living and training with a man she knew from day one she couldn’t trust. I came out of this episode having a lot more respect for Thea than I did going in. Good for her.

Couldn’t she have kissed Roy on the lips? LOL Didn’t he deserve that, with all he’s done for her? Not just in this ep, but all season? I know you can’t really ‘deserve’ a kiss, but if anyone does, it’s Roy, especially after coming to her rescue like that against Chase (who shocked me with the suicide; what did they do with the body?). I think these two are getting together by the end of the season, but that could just be me. I know I’ll get hate for saying this, but even though this episode was called ‘Canaries’, I feel like this was Thea’s ep, just as much. Maybe more?
    Felicity’s speech was definitely to hit Oliver in the kidneys. I think Diggle coming up later and giving his own words on the matter in private is really in keeping with the man. I don’t know that Diggle has ever aired his difficulties with Oliver in public, whereas Felicity has no trouble calling him out in front of people. They both let him know how they felt in their own words.
    Quentin’s reaction to Sara’s death was hard to watch. He didn’t even need to hear her say it, he just knew. I felt so bad for him. I held back tears as they pulled back on the shot. I *was* glad, though, to find that they weren’t going to have him do the heart attack because of the revelation. That would have been just too soapy, for me. And I want Quentin to stick around. :) I love him, so much.
    The Laurel/Felicity scene was good, I liked that Felicity is still working as the heart of the team. Though I’m sure there are those who might be shipping them (I think I saw that somewhere), I think it’s a good start to a wonderful friendship as they grow closer.
    The trip to Lian Yu was a bit different than I expected. The way it was being worded, I (and others) thought that it was going to be a forced outting, with Malcolm drugging and dropping them. But it allows for some fun that they’re there in a more voluntary way. “We’ve only been here two hours and you’re already complaining.”
    The flashbacks showed how these two became super buddies, which was appreciated. But we still don’t know what happened to Tatsu and their son! I know we’ll find out before the end of the season, but… I feel kinda cheated. Oh, well.
    Excited for Queen adventures on Lian Yu and the ‘return’ of Tommy!

• Rob Watkins says:

I like that people have come around on the flashback characters. I honestly believe that there was nothing wrong with the earlier episodes, they were just new characters, and it gets very difficult for people to adjust to new in a long running series.

• Briggs says:

I don’t know that I ever had a problem with the flashbacks, but that was because I did my best to match it up to the present day. I think people forget that there’s a purpose to the flashbacks, and that’s why they’re there. You miss half the show if you just fast-forward through them.

• Chillywilly says:

I am glad you watch the episode with a different perspective cause lately so call fans jut bash the show because they are not getting what they want and dream to have. They take things wayy too personal and by heart concerning the show and the characters.

12. Drew says:

Overall, I liked the episode. I enjoyed the inner turmoil for Laurel. Ollie was harsh toward her, but in a real and honest way.
    I’m glad to have more openness and honesty between characters. It makes the interactions more interesting for me when Ollie and Laurel can just talk without the writers having to hold back.
    I thought that Felicity was better this week than she has been in a while. She served a purpose, as opposed to bring relegated to the boring love interest role.
    I was expecting Thea to find out the truth at the end of the episode. It was refreshing to deal with it early and without false drama. I do wish she knew what Malcolm really did to her though.
    Glad that the magic DJ who can stir a crowd within two seconds of starting a song is dead. He was annoying.
    I do have to say that the no kill policy continues to make no sense. Vertigo got away because Oliver chose to shoot something out of his hand rather than take him down. He will kill more innocent people because of that.

13. Chillywilly says:

I do not get it why some fans are extremely critical of the show, they take things way too personal and by heart. They hate Oliver for this, they hate Felicity for htis, they hate Laurel fo this, etc. Geez Chill out!! It is just a fake tv show based on fake comics with a twist. .Watch easc episode as they come. I doubt Stephen Amell will like to read all this bashing to his show from so called fans.

14. Linda says:

Oliver needs to tell Thea what Malcolm made her do; kill Sara. She deserves to know the truth. He has to come clean ABOUT EVERYTHING sicne he opened up the can of worms by telling her who he really is. I’m glad that Quentin finally knows the truth about Sara. That scene was heartbreaking and Paul did such a great job with it.

15. Sara K says:

The one unrealistic scene in this episode to me was Felicity telling Laurel that Sarah had no light and that she used the mask to hide from her demons…WHAAAAT??? I literally had a WTF moment in that scene.

I am glad everyone knows the truth and this arc is over and we can move on to better stories..I feel like the writers are lacking on Arrow on this season. Glad I have the Flash to satisfy me for now.

• Drew says:

It was true enough. Sara was dealing with a lot of things that she did in the League. It was always with her. Laurel isn’t coming at this from that perspective.

• GirlvsTV says:

If Oliver Queen is hero with a light inside to be harnessed, then so was Sara Lance. She may have done terrible things while in the League, but it is pretty clear Oliver did some seriously awful stuff when he worked for Waller and no one is doubting his ‘light.’

• Rob Watkins says:

The difference is Oliver is working towards it and in spite of what he did, he doesn’t hate himself and is constantly trying to better himself. Sara had way more emotional baggage than Laurel does.

• Sara K says:

Yes the emotional baggage I can understand but to say she was DARK is unacceptable. Felicity saw Sarah as a sister and got to know her better than Laurel, so dear writers please don’t undermine our intelligence and totally take away the good that Sarah did to justify LL getting beat up.
          Oliver was right in everything he said to LL…and my god I understand it’s television but how are we to believe that a chat and a hug with Felicity miraculously cured her and she was ready to fight the Vertigo again.
          I’m just glad this ARC is over with…Hallelujah!!

• Joy says:

Did not like Felicity telling Laurel sara had no light. Everyone was acting out of character. Really hated this episode tbh.

16. Anya says:

Still not a fan of Laurel and really not a fan of the Laurel/Felicity friendship. While I understand that Oliver’s crusade has become there’s they also need to realize that a few boxing lessons doesn’t make someone ready to suit up and fight on the streets. Her lack of experience is going to put others in danger. Oliver went through HELL and has come out the other side capable of going to lengths that I don’t think anyone truly realizes yet.

I’m also not a fan of the lack of the dynamic between Oliver, Diggle and Felicity. In the end; this started with them and I really would like to return to that and acknowledge that. Heck, if all else fails, I’m pretty sure the club and the Arrow cave is still owned by Oliver and Thea. Though I don’t imagine them throwing that in anyone’s face.

Felicity, Roy, Laurel and Diggle are demanding Oliver see things from their point of view; what about them trying to see it from his point of view. Overall, becoming a bit disappointed in a show that I used to count the minutes until it aired.

• Drew says:

A lack of experience only turns to having experience once someone actually experiences.

• Rob Watkins says:

No, it started with Oliver, then Oliver and Diggle, then the Trio. They weren’t the Scoobies in the very first episode. It’s constantly changing as any good show does.

“Felicity, Roy, Laurel and Diggle are demanding Oliver see things from their point of view; what about them trying to see it from his point of view.”
      I get your issue, but I don’t think there’s need to worry as I do believe that will be dealt with over time. Oliver and the team will deal with this very issue. That all doesn’t need to be dealt with in the same episode.

17. Paula says:

Messy, very bad episode. What saved it was Thea knowing the truth about Oliver/Arrow and Capt. Lance FINALLY being told the truth about Sara’s death. Other than that, I am sorry, I still don’t buy/like LL/BC. They are sacrificing many of more pivotal characters in the show and plots to tell her story. What they are doing with David’s Diggle is ridiculous, and yes, no one convinces me otherwise that they are not using Felicity to “prop” Laurel Lance. Just a bad episode, IN MY OPINION, after all.

• Isobel says:

Agree on them using other characters to prop up Laurel, it’s very irritating and there’s no reason for Felicity and Diggle to support her, she’s been regularly rude to them

18. Jill says:

I have loved Arrow and rooted for it and told people to watch it but this season has done me in.
    This episode has done me in.

Thea immediately accepts Oliver (in spite of Diggle saying she’ll never forgive him) and just as fast turns on Malcolm while last week she was telling Roy what a good guy Malcolm was.
    Oliver goes from telling Laurel she’s not ready (true) to telling her the city is good in her hands.
    The WTF? when Oliver leaves Diggle behind and takes an injured, drugged Laurel with him in stead.
    The idea that Laurel has a light in her and Sara didn’t. Did everyone forget that last season Laurel was bemoaning the darkness inside of her?
    Worst scene — Felcity propping Laurel with the “you have a light inside of you”. Who is this blonde and will we ever get the real Felicity back?

Now one week after saying he will never leave the city again, Oliver is leaving the city to go to Lian Yu for a reason that doesn’t make sense. And meanwhile Diggle and Felicity will continue to be pod people.

If this show ever goes back to what it used to be, I’ll be back. Until then, I’ve got a free hour on Wednesdays.

• Rob Watkins says:

Thea has grown up and matured and FINALLY gotten to the root of the lies.

Oliver didn’t tell Laurel the city is safe in her hands, he told the entire team that it’s safe in their hands, including Laurel. You are blowing that way out of proportion.

Laurel has a bit of a darkness in her whereas Sara was far more sullen and steeped in darkness. I think a lot of that was because she couldn’t forgive herself. Laurel has some darkness but she’s not defined by it.

You are taking Oliver’s line about never leaving the city again TOO literally. He’s not going for an extended period of time. He’s going because he needs to deal with his greatest fear.

• Jill says:

Thea still doesn’t know Malcolm brainwashed her and she killed Sara so yeah, the lies continue.
        Oliver’s greatest fear (in the Calm)is that the Arrow will beat up Oliver Queen. Now he’s going to the island to become the Arrow, a greater killing machine.
        It’s pretty obvious the city isn’t safe without Oliver, just look at the last episode.
        It’s a matter of opinion but I thought Sara had far more light in her because she wanted to keep women and the vulnerable from being hurt whereas Laurel just wants to beat up people to make herself feel better.

• Rob Watkins says:

Jill, I cannot stress this enough, before you jump to conclusions – watch the episode. We know Malcolm wants Oliver to become a killing machine but we have yet to see the episode so we don’t know how Oliver will deal with it.

Sara wasn’t a villain, but she wasn’t fighting out a sense of pain and anger, not justice. And that’s not fair to say that Laurel just wants to make herself feel better. For one, she grew this episode, and she’s always had a strong sense of justice, hence her job as a lawyer, and she wanted to be her sister because she was keeping Starling safe. I think you’re reading it wrong.

• Jill says:

I have watched the episode,
            Laurel told Oliver in the episode, that fighting is the only thing that makes her feel better. She also said it a few episodes ago to Ted Grant.
            Marc Guggenheim has said that Oliver returned to Starling City from the mountain determined to be The Arrow and not Oliver Queen. That is why he is training with Malcolm, the end justifies the means for the Arrow.
            I think anyone who likes Laurel and wants her to be the Black Canary will like this episode. People who like Oliver, Diggle, Felicity or Sara, maybe even Thea and Roy, will be less happy with it. People who like Diggle and Felicity are pretty ragey.

• Rob Watkins says:

No, you haven’t watched next weeks episode, but you claim that Oliver is forgetting what he did in season 2 after Tommy died. We don’t how it will play out.

She lost her sister! You are cherry picking things to prove your point about Laurel. Of course she wants revenge and it’s a big motivator and not the healthiest, but that hardly defines the whole character. Sara was far more fatalistic than even Oliver. That’s not true with Laurel. She’s much more driven by a sense of justice, let’s also not forget that she’s changing. She believes she’s capable of changing for the better, and she didn’t even take up her sister’s mantle for revenge. She did it because Oliver’s team was breaking up.

I liked it because it showed growth for a lot of characters. Thea’s reactions, Laurel’s growth, and even Quentin’s reaction were refreshing. It wasn’t over the top melodrama.

19. Laurelina says:

FANS Arrow had been reneqed for Season 4 there will be plenty of episodes where all the characters we love be there. Clam down stop being so hrsh on the show just because things do not go the way you want.

• Sara K says:

The writers need to step up their game, I am glad the renewal came before these three horrible episodes aired. We know they’re busy writing for the Flash but we need them to get back to doing quality writing for Arrow.

• carie says:

Yet the ratings are at a all time high :)

• No basis in reality, that statement.

With the exception of the Arrow/Flash crossover episode, the ratings in Season 1 were generally higher. Current ratings aren’t down in the dump … but try not to fabricate reality.

• brenna says:

Carie is right. It’s definitely true that as a whole the ratings have been higher than season 2 and part of season 1. That’s a fact.

• Sorry, brenna, but no. I’m looking at a list of ratings for every episode since Season 1.

Season 1 episodes over 3 million viewers: 16, including the pilot with over 4 million.

Season 2 episodes over 3 million viewers: 4.

Season 3 episodes over 3 million viewers: 4. Including the Arrow/Flash crossover, which was a huge boost to ratings.

Under no circumstances could that be considered “higher than ever” ratings. Just calling a spade a spade.

• Dmac says:

Nope, the slide last night.

20. Jane says:

This episode was terrible. Laurel became a hero within 3 episodes. WTF. I LOL at how bad that is and they had to knock Sara down to do it. DISGUSTING! The only scenes I liked were between Thea and Oliver. The rest was awful. This show is ruined.

• Rob Watkins says:

She was always a hero, she’s still learning to be a fighter, and show didn’t knock Sara. It only acknowledged what Sara thought of herself and let’s face it, was actually true. She carried a lot of emotional baggage and wasn’t the happiest person. She really seemed to hate herself. She thinks of herself as little more than a killer.

• Jane says:

Just because Sara thought that way, doesn’t make it true. She fought for women and saved her mom and did all these amazing things. You don’t do that if you don’t have a light inside you. She just didn’t believe it and I fully believe she would have eventually but they killed her so Laurel could become Black Canary. Just turns my stomach. And Laurel wasn’t always a hero. She put on a leather outfit 3 episodes ago. Don’t insult my intelligence. The whole arc was pathetic and laughable. I hope Caity Lotz doesn’t come back because this show doesn’t deserve her.

• Rob Watkins says:

Sara was more fatalistic than even Oliver.

Turns your stomach? The show doesn’t deserve Caity?

Must you be so dramatic?

They killed off Sara because it was the impetus for the plot of the season.

• Mark says:

I agree worst episode ever

21. Natalia says:

Disappointed. It was my least favorite episode this season. I don’t say that I disliked it at all because Stephen Amell, Paul Blackthorne and Willa Holland’s performance were really good. I like Maseo too! But the whole “let’s all promote Laurel as the new canary” – lame, Felicity’s speech for the first time get me like “please, just, don’t”. The stunts were weak, for the first time ever I was like, what the frack, BamBam.. I hope we have a better episode next week. Yes, I won’t give up on Arrow, not yet. Mainly because of Stephen Amell.

• Sara K says:

Next week looks good so we have something to look forward to. I think what has been unbelievable is how out of character a lot of the actors have been these past 3 episodes…so darn unrealistic.

22. Rob Watkins says:

There’s more to fight choreography than awesome stunts. The reason the fight wasn’t amazing, but still interesting, was because it was in character. Laurel isn’t a seasoned fighter, but her sister was, and the vision was as good as the real thing.

23. Dj says:

Laurel telling Quentin was the first time I have ever liked her. I’ve really like what they are doing with Thea. Even after months of intense trainning she got beat easily by an LoA member. Which shows she has a long way to go. The best thing about this episode and the next one is that they feature Caity and Manu who were the best thing about last season.

24. Sam says:

What a mess! OMG. I can’t believe how bad that was. I’m sitting here in shock. Thea/Oliver was about damn time but then she suddenly doesn’t trust Malcolm? I feel like I’ve got whiplash from all the conflicting characterization. Using Felicity to prop Laurel? Badly done. Now Laurel is a good fighter after what?! I don’t understand what the writers are doing. I’m so confused. Oliver was against Laurel fighting but then he’s suddenly okay with it in the same episode! WHAT EVEN. Don’t even get me started on Diggle being sidelined. I can’t with this show anymore. It’s so not worth it.

25. All I mostly see is bitching comments, but I enjoyed the episode. There were parts that were kind of “what in the world”, but I liked it nonetheless. People expect every episode to be perfect… how about you write an episode and have to juggle other things in your life. Smh.

26. termy says:

Laurel is killing the show for me. Sara had years of training and laurel boxes in a gym a few times and all the sudden can fight. It’s an insult to our intelligence. Why in earth does Oliver want her covering his back instead of diggle. The nonsense is starting to know no bounds.

• Rob Watkins says:

Your intelligence isn’t insulted, she can’t all of the sudden fight. She’s known self defense for years, and she’s not a seasoned crime fighter. They aren’t showing her as being any sort of expert. You’re also forgetting Roy. Roy’s also part of the team, Diggle wasn’t always out in the field before.

• termy says:

Yes, they are insulting our intelligence. Sara had years of training From highly skilled assassins. Roy had Oliver train him for months and even I thought it a bit of a stretch, but it’s somewhat believable. self defense and a month in a gym does not equal crime fighter. In a fight diggle would destroy her with one blow. If they want to use the baby excuse to sideline diggle they should say so, but it sure as hell hadn’t stopped diggle from going out the other 7 or 8 episodes.

Diggle is such a great character and to see him get sidelined for her like she’s a better option is complete bs. If anything he would want to go out just so she wouldn’t get herself killed.

• Dj says:

I don’t like that they are putting Diggle on the sideline to tell Laurel story. The guy is the second most skilled member of team arrow.

• Rob Watkins says:

That’s the point, she’s still not an expert. Putting on the suit doesn’t make her her sister.

Why do you guys insist on thinking that Diggle was out on nearly every mission with Oliver before? It’s just not true.

• Dj says:

He didn’t go out on ever mission with Oliver and I don’t think people are saying he did or should. But having him stay at the arrow cave while they go face Vertigo when Laurel is not only inexperienced, but a little banged up makes very little sense outside of the show wanting to show case Laurel.

• Sam says:

I agree. Most of the fight scenes Laurel is in she gets her butt kicked.

• Cloud says:

Agree 100%. She gets drugged up, almost has her teeth kicked in and Oliver says come with me. She was in no condition to go out there again because she sucks. Don’t like her being forced down at Diggle’s expense.

• Susan says:

I agree. Sidelining Diggle so Laurel has more screen time. This episode was the worst episode ever.

27. Joey Padron says:

Good episode. Glad Thea finally knows Oliver’s secret & is good with it. Glad Thea figure out something wasn’t right with Chase. Glad Roy & Malcolm came to her rescue. Laurel was great in episode. Good to see Sara again. Glad She told Lance truth about Sara. Surprised that Oliver return to home before in the flashback.

• Gail says:

How long will Thea trust Ollie when she finds out she killed Sara and Ollie knew about it.And , of course Malcolm drugged her into doing it.
      So next week the flashbacks will be in Starling City and the present day on the island. The people Ollie would know in the flashback would be Tommy, the Lances, Moira,Thea, his stepfather, and possibly Dingle ( not sure when they met) Should be no Felicity unless she just shows u randomly and no Roy.

• Isobel says:

I think he didn’t meet Diggle till his return in the first episode so Diggle, Felicity and Roy won’t really be in unless they’re randomly walking past in the street or something

28. Rick Katze says:

Finally, the long dance is over. Everybody knows about everybody with a few major omissions. Now we see if they can work together. And, at some point, Thea will find out how Sara died. Will she be str0ng enough by that time?

I liked the episode very much.

29. enjoycomics says:

In S2, Sara said she would have killed Roy with no thought – that is who she is. LOA do not value life but Vigilantes do – Arrow/BC. Also, what amazes me is that people continue to criticize LL/BC about having limited training but Sara who had 5 yrs with the LOA – where is she now. If that video is correct, Sara was killed by someone who had less than 8 months of training and what, walks the roofs with bow and arrow – really. I liked Sara but LL should not be bad month for lack of training.

• Jill says:

Shado, Moira and Sara were all essentially assassinated, killed without being given the ability to fight back.

If Sara had known that Thea was going to kill her instead of being her friend as she had been for years, Sara would have fought back and easily bested Thea. Sara never had a chance.

The show has apparently forgotten that Laurel killed a policeman last year by shooting him. She might have killed the deadbeat boyfriend too if he hadn’t beaten her up first.

30. James D says:

Good episode. I understand where the gang is coming from (totally agree with Matt about Diggle) Oliver has a tendency to make decisions for other people without realizing that those people have changed for the most part for the better. but to continue to fight Oliver on the Malcolm thing because of who he is and the idea of him not being trusted is naive, short-sighted and ultimately dangerous thinking on their part one they should seriously reconsider, you don’t need to trust him because it’s not about trust it’s about using him to achieve the greater good which is Ollies point. Other than that I loved how they handled Thea instead of adding the extra drama and ruining the character they made her a rational adult that loves her brother and remains loyal to him, cudos to the writer’s room for that. Also great work by Katie tonight Laurel’s progression to becoming the true BC is incredibly satisfying IMO, loved the scene with Felicity.

31. murley says:

Really enjoyed the episode. There was a lot of great character stuff in it, and a lot of really interesting pair ups that delved into the relationships on the show. Also it did a really great job of setting up the clever reversal in the next episode of present day on the island and flashbacks in starling city instead of the other way around. Can’t wait for next week!

32. Pat says:

It was a great episode and I am so glad that truths are being told. Cannot wait for next week to see how Oliver and Thea are doing with Malcolm, on that island.

33. stefim says:

Worst episode of the show’s entire run,imo. Thea’s reaction to Oliver’s reveal was cool but after that everything felt utterly boring. I wish they’d stop ruining storylines and all the other characters to prop up Laurel. If the intent of this trilogy of episodes was to “redeem” Laurel and make her somewhat likable and relevant ,they failed once again. It also proved how unfit Katie Cassidy is to play the role of BC.

34. D. says:

This show is amazing, the things they do when other show would drag the story indefinetely… I love the turn Laurel has taken, she’s much more likable, and I’m loving Thea being more present in the story. Can’t wait for the next episode!

35. Gordon Rick says:

Last weeks episode Arrow tells the city they have suffered while he was gone and he will not leave again.

Very next week he is leaving? WTF?

36. Emmy says:

Ok, so it wasn’t awful, but I do think it was probably the worst episode of the series. The episode just seemed off. I still can’t say that I like Laurel, to me she makes things drag. I have not liked her since season 1, and even then she definitely was not my favorite. I don’t know what else the writers can do to fix that character but hopefully they figure it out. However, I have grown to love Thea, so that proves the writers can work miracles. The episode felt crowded to me…they tried to cram too much in for too many people. My other hope is that they bring back the lighter side of felicity pronto, I know she is angry (rightfully) but I think the show suffers when it’s all drama all the time. This show thrives because in the midst of all the drama there are the little quips and elements of humor. I don’t think Arrow will continue to succeed if it goes really dark. But that is just my two cents.

• Isobel says:

Agree they made Thea interesting, but it might be too late for Laurel, most people are firmly against her, because as an earlier commentator said she is a brat

37. Arsenal says:

I foresee another death in the Queen family looming. This is the first time I have even considered it; however for some reason when Oliver revealed his secret to Thea, the possibility of her death crept into my mind and lingered there the entire episode. Oliver might have been right to not tell her after all. It would also create a rift between Malcolm & Oliver again, which is bound to happen eventually. Now if they were to use the Lazarus Pit (an idea with positives and negatives), it would be on her. This is just a theory; I’m not saying it’ll actually take place.

This was one of the best episodes I’ve seen this season. Several subplots were completed – Chase is gone and Lance finally knows about Sara (good scene). There were a couple things that slightly bothered me. The scene where Laurel takes down the Count was one; I think it could have been executed better. The review already laid out the other regarding Felicity. They’re minor issues, though.

38. brenna says:

I enjoyed the episode. I’ve always liked Oliver’s and Thea’s brother/sister relationship and the scene where he revealed he is Arrow was great. SA without saying a word showed on his face resignation that she would hate him, then surprise, then emotional relief that she was proud of him that he is Arrow. Excellent! I loved the stunt where Oliver and Roy jumped from the windows simutaneously, that was fun! I didn’t get that Roy after talking with Thea was all about working with Malcolm last week and this week he is angry at Oliver for it. And, every fighting unit, military or otherwise, always has a leader. Oliver is that leader and I’m looking forward to getting back to that. I do miss the dynamic that Diggle, Oliver and Felicity once had, but I am going to be patient because it’s a great show and I’m not going to judge until the full story of the season is told. Since the Flash/Arrow crossover, every week when the episode ends, I can’t wait for the next one to see what happens next. Arrow is the only show I can say that about. Can’t wait til next week!

• Nananina says:

Love the way you think unlike other fans who judge before and start bashing the show and not take the story as it comes

39. brenna says:

Oh yes, I also really like the relationship between Oliver and Maseo. Looking forward to seeing how that story goes. And with regard to Diggle possibly being the future Green Lantern, I hope not. Diggle is a great character without that, he just needs to be untilized more. I do agree with others that the show may be getting too crowded with masked heroes so it’s hard to give them all time without taking it from others. I still love the show though.

40. Gerald says:

I loved the episode, but funniest part of the episode were ex boyfriend and daddy both waiting outside Thea’s apartment for her to finish having sex with the DJ???
    Creepy!!!!

41. Gerald says:

Also I was really hoping that this episode and the confrontation Laurel had with Sara in her drug induced state would have put her off the crime fighting. Oliver is not wrong, it is dangerous and she could get killed, and then Quinten would have lost both his daughters. It is selfish. She is lucky The Count only shot her with the drug and not a gun. She’d be dead.
    Don’t get me wrong I like Laurel, but more as the fighting crime as a lawyer crime fighter.

42. David says:

I too think the Arrow Cave is becoming quite crowded. I don’t mind the progression of LL/BC. She has shown she can fight in the past as LL. She’s had the basic Self Defense classes, and maybe even a martial arts class (When she was like 12). Her training with Ted (what I think is over more like 6 months Arrow time) is advanced classes, and you notice even Ted was beaten down – So, he might not be the best trainer after all. I think that this season they keep LL/BC and continue with her training, but getting beat 1/2 the time. Then for next season and even season 5, drop her character. Have her go train with Katana or someone for those couple years and bring her back as a highly skilled fighter. Arsenal and Ollie need a big fight, a blow up and he needs to leave ala Robin/Nightwing. Have him leave to defend his own city only to come back for special appearances. Diggle needs to stay Diggle… Not Green Lantern – But give him a mask and his own “hero” character – Not the ski mask. Felicity needs to become more even more Oracle like. Get back to the original 3 for a bit, and then bring in Thea for her Speedy training….

• Alexis says:

Amazing episode! The writers are really hitting their stride this season. I loved the scenes between Oliver & Thea, Laurel & Sara, and especially Laurel and her dad. Katie Cassidy is finally getting material worthy of her talent; the scene where Laurel told Oliver off was off the charts, so many pathos and history and unresolved romantic feelings! No wonder the Olicity minority is so threatened by Laurel… But I’m glad Laurel’s story is her own! Her journey from damsel in distress to heroine has been riveting to watch. On the other hand, poor Felicity is stuck playing “love interest” to every male she shares a scene with. What a drag! She used to be so spunky and fun but now she’s all angst and whiny. Free Felicity! Give her a life outside of pining for Oliver or Ray or Barry… UGH!

• John. says:

I disagree that olicity is in the minority because their fan base on Facebook and twitter is quite much. I do not like her character of recent and I think the writers are using her to prop Laurel. This episode was terrible. Hope next week will be better.

43. Seahawks 12th Man says:

Me personally really liked this episode, Thea Finally knows. Malcolm and Oliver are working together which is kinda cool i guess. and more members is always good. Cant Wait for more crossovers with Flash than Supergirl.

44. LT says:

LOVED LOVED LOVED this episode.

45. Mary says:

What happened the Thea who had been trained not to feel pain? She says at the end that she was “tired after the first ten minutes” on Lian Yu. What happened to the girl who had boiling hot coffee spilled on her and didn’t even flinch?

• Jill says:

The writers have been taking Malcolm’s brain-washing herbs.

They also forgot that last season Laurel had a darkness that doesn’t ever leave.

46. Alison Tabour says:

The writing this season has been “hit and (VERY) miss.” The journeys of each character is really rough, very inconsistent and just too darn fast (hence unbelievable). It seems like the writers are trying to portray each character’s journey as a ‘real life’ experience–filled with mistakes, foibles and mess-ups. But the writers need to remember this is TV and TV works better when you keep it simple.
    Please stop using the word “complicated” in the dialogue. I am starting to laugh when ever I hear it. Also, I thought it was a big mistake to have Felicity tall Laurel that “she has a light inside of her” because this was prime Olicity dialogue.
    I think the show got a little greedy. What they had worked really, really, really well (Oliver, Diggle & Felicity) and in their attempt to bring in more, they are inadvertently taking so much away from what they had.

• Sandra says:

I agree. I prefer when it was just diggle, felicity and oliver. The writing seems all over the place with too many people in the arrow cave. Felicity talking to Laurel felt very forced. Also not happy with them sidelining diggle just so Laurel gets more screen time.

47. Rick says:

Seeing them in the same frame, I must say I like Sara more in the Canary outfit than Laurel, but Laurel looks better as a civilian than Sara does.

48. Samara says:

This episode was beyond boring and laurel is the worst!

49. Sheldon W. says:

I was kinda sad to see Chase go. He might have been a lame character, but he was also the only Caucasian on the show to say Ra’s properly.

50. aaj says:

So yeah, I agree with most of the comments here, but I really did like the storylines with Thea in them – Oliver finally telling his sister who he is and Thea not getting fooled by either Malcolm or the DJ boyfriend dude. Laurel I can totally do without, and Oliver thinking he can just take charge after a month away? Seems a bit obnoxious.