Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Arrow, Five-0, Suits, Vikings, Chicago Fire/P.D., Bitten, Shameless, Night Shift and More

Arrow Costume Changes Season 3

Is Arrow targeting a nip-and-tuck? Which Chicago Fire-men are clashing? Is Five-0‘s Danny still playing doctor? Does Vikings‘ mystery man make an entrance? When will Syfy get Bitten again? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

Apparently Stephen Amell said at the Dallas Comic Con that the Arrow costume would undergo a change this season. Do you have any details? –Ravi
I ran that by showrunner Marc Guggenheim the other day, and after some thought he allowed this much: “You’ll see a wide variety of changes coming for Arrow. There’s a lot that’s happening in the latter half of the year that will require some big, wholesale changes.” Anyone else thinking paisley…?

Will we see any more scenes this season between Hawaii Five-0‘s Danny and Dr. Shaw? They have great chemistry! —Sarah
As a matter of fact, there’s an episode coming up later this season where Danny and the good doc are stuck somewhere unexpected, with a victim who needs processing.

Can you offer any news on Grey’s Anatomy or Suits? —Jonny
Option No. 2 it is! This week’s flashback-heavy episode will “shed light on Harvey and Louis’ backstory” and the origins of their feud, executive producer Aaron Korsh previews. As for Mike, he’s just been kicked out of college, so the glimpses of the past are intended to reveal the “aftermath of that and just to show a progression with his relationship with Trevor and his grandmother.” In the midst of all that, there’s also “some fun Jessica stuff and Donna stuff, and we try to put some little tidbits about the first time various things happened. We actually have a really fun scene, to me, that’s actually the first time Rachel is inside of Pearson Hardman.”

Anything on Chicago Fire? —Quanita
Mills is going to have a beef with Severide after the firefighter’s friend joins the rescue squad. “That really rubs Mills the wrong way because he’s been planning on reassuming that spot,” executive producer Matt Olmstead previews. “He’s waiting for medical clearance to go back, and so there’s some friction there.”

Got any scoop on Kevin Durand’s character on Vikings (Season 3 premieres Feb. 19)? — Katie H.
Before he ever sets foot in Kattegat, the Strain star’s mysterious Wanderer will have piqued the interests of Siggy, Helga and Queen Aslaug, since he appeared to each of them in dreams, arriving in town with his arms outstretched and one hand dripping scalding blood. So you can imagine the reaction when this happens in Episode 2:

Any Inside Line on Shameless? —Yvonne
Things are about to get really messy and complicated for newly married Fiona, given Jimmy/Steve’s return. “She’s in the house with him and then Gus comes over, so the kids are trying to cover for her and it’s very awkward,” executive producer Nancy Pimental teases. “And it’s also really influencing Debbie, too, because Fiona is trying to keep Debbie under control, and Debbie’s like, ‘What the hell? You’re the one that just got married impulsively, and you’re the one who has another guy in your house.'”

Got any scoop on The Flash’s Gorilla Grodd? –Mason
Don’t go ape, but I instead have intel on a pair of other encores — Captain Cold and Heat Wave, who when next seen are accompanied by Lisa Snart AKA Golden Glider. Executive producer Andrew Kreisberg says with a laugh that it’s a treat to watch Leonard “try to be a good big brother to this slightly psycho younger sister,” while Lisa in turn endeavors to “manipulate Heat Wave and his willingness to be a dumb lug for love.”

Scoops, please, Step Up Women's Network's 8th Annual Inspiration Awardson Rookie Blue, Chicago P.D. or The Night Shift. – Debbie
I choose… Night Shift, since a lotta people aren’t aware that NBC’s sophomore medical drama will be back so soon (on Monday, Feb. 23 at 10/9c). I can report that NCIS alum Sarah Jane Morris has booked a multi-episode arc as war vet TC’s sister-in-law, Annie, who has been in free fall ever since the death of her husband. TC has supported Annie through her hard times and even put her through nursing school, but she may be concealing a potentially deadly problem….

I was wondering if you had any scoop on ABC Family’s Switched at Birth? – Mar
The decision to wrap up the consent storyline with Tank’s expulsion from college was “a very controversial” one, executive producer Lizzy Weiss says. “We struggled a lot in the writers’ room with how to end the story. We finally felt like there had to be some sort of closure. Whether or not it’s realistic, I don’t know. People can argue about that.” And they can take comfort in the fact that we will find out what happened to Tank after he was kicked out of school. “We’ll revisit him in the second part of the season,” the EP reveals.

Can you give me any info on Chicago P.D.? –Miriam
Remember when we told you Halstead’s doctor brother Ryan (played by Nick Gehlfuss) might be staying in Chicago? The reason: he got a girl pregnant! So he has to decide “is he going to stick around and be a dad or is he going off to the next party, essentially,” executive producer Matt Olmstead explains. Meanwhile, another blast from Halstead’s past — a criminal informant named Mouse (Samuel Caleb Hunt) who appeared last season and was in the Rangers with the detective — will return in Episode 16…as the unit’s new tech guy! “It’s a great window into Halstead,” Olmstead says. “He doesn’t go around telling people his life story, but there is a real heroic act involved. This guy saved his ass which is why he’s going to bat to bring in a kid who’s an ex-con to do this job.”

How is Joe Carroll going to factor into this season of The Following? –Chase
Most simply said, out of sight is not out of mind when it comes to those who put the elusive killer behind bars last season. “What I love about this season (premiering March 2) is that the Joe Carroll of it all is behind us,” Shawn Ashmore says, “and yet he’s still so interwoven emotionally where these characters are. He’s always sort of with us, which is nice.”

When is the premiere of Bitten Season 2 going to air in the U.S.? –Raven
Thus far I am able to narrow it down to… the month of April. 2015.

Real questions, real answers. If you need the Inside Line on a favorite show, email reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Remy says:

Is it bad that I want to live in Canada so I can watch Reign a night early & start watching Bitten Season 2 now????

• Tony Lang says:

Come for Bitten, stay for the maple syrup. And other such elevations to your quality of life.

• See em says:

We offer superior TV viewing opportunities. Better beer, bacon and health care are just a bonus.

• Lo says:

Oh man, the first episode of S2 aired this past Saturday and it. was. amazing. I didn’t think too much of him when the series first began, but Nick has become one of my favourite characters for so many reasons. I promise it will be worth the wait. Or you could go visit a friendly canuck north of the border :)

• Carol says:

Glad to hear the Bitten S2 premier was amazing. I’m looking forward to the US premier – I’ve missed the pack. The thing I’ll miss most is the great discussions we had last season over on spoiler tv. The S1 US and CAN episodes were only a few days apart.

Thanks Matt for the SyFy April date, I was going to be really disappointed if it turned out to be Nov or something far out.

2. lqza says:

Hawaii 50 has lost it, not watching anymore.

3. Jack says:

As always, Matt “you da man! “

4. Mary says:

Not against the possibility of more interaction between Mindy and Danny on Hawaii Five-0, but I really hope she won’t become a love interest for him, since I’m a McDanno shipper through and through.

5. Deny95 says:

Does that mean that Halstead’s brother might land in Chicago Med?

6. Mary says:

Let me guess, they’re going to add more buckles and straps to Arrow’s costume so it’s more like Arsenal’s and Laurel’s Black Canary costume.

7. Luis says:

My wife and I loved the first season of the “Night Shift.” Very involving characters, well written and directed. Looking forward to Season 2!

8. dragons3 says:

Does anyone else see a third “Chicago” series called “Chicago Med” coming?

9. aurat22 says:

Didn’t realize the Mills’ switch to paramedic wasn’t permanent to begin with. Wow that job sure has a lot of turn over. Who will take it next? Will Dawson go back to being one or do they bring on another newbie? I also find it inconsistent writing that Casey and Severides doctor’s didn’t report their career threatening injuries to the department but Mills’doctor did. By the way wonder if Casey’s and Severide’s medical conditions will ever be brought up again? Looking forward to possible launch of Chicago Med. Thanks Matt.

• Cassie says:

“Didn’t realize the Mills’ switch to paramedic wasn’t permanent to begin with.”

It was supposed to be but the writers on this damn show can’t seem to pick a direction and stick with it!

• fiberlicious says:

Yes. I distinctly remember Mills’ doc telling him the injury is permanent and he can never be a firefighter again.

• Bwhit says:

Severide didn’t report his and had Shay skim meds from the ambulance until he got that surgery to fix it (after Shay got in that accident and it woke him up) Casey did report it after awhile and the doc said he could continue but another hard hit to the head would be a career ender, so I’m sure they will address it at some point.

• kn1231 says:

Serveride was suppose to look into something for Mills concerning his injury, but Severide was drinking every night and not focusing on work. I just finished catching up on the series, so it may be fresher in my mind than others. But with that being said, when Chief told Mills not to get his hopes up concerning Severide, I thought that would be the end of it until reading this spoiler.

10. Jill says:

I’m really looking forward to more Jessica on Suits. She and Donna are among the best women on TV.

Not sure I want those changes on Arrow; I’m still not happy with the greater emphasis on Ray and Laurel at the cost of the Team Arrow of Oliver/Diggle/Felicity.

11. Jeannine Wells says:

Finally! Some word about the premiere date for Bitten Season 2. I have been looking all over and could NOT find a date. Why is SyFy so hush hush about that?

12. Kate says:

I theorize (because I know who finds out tonight, I just watched the Canadian promo, but if you think about it, it sort of makes sense that it happens now) that because that person seems to be the most fashion forward and knows fighting style clothes, that person likely takes it upon their own shoulders to do some things she has always thought the vigilante should have been wearing.

13. Bwhit says:

On one hand I think it would be good for Mills to get back to squad but on the other, he and Brett make such a good team. If he did get cleared who would be the paramedic to replace him? Dawson? (which personally wouldn’t bother me because the firefighter storyline is ruining her character). Good stuff this week Matt :)

14. Jules says:

I really like Gus with Fiona on “Shameless” and of course it can’t just be left alone. Jimmy/Steve should’ve stayed gone. I feel like she’s moved on and tried to change and do better. He’s only gonna make her regress. Ugh!!

15. Alex says:

Does anyone know when season 5 of Lost Girl airs in the US

16. Nicole says:

Danny and Dr. Shaw?!?! Please, NO. Can we bring back Danny’s ex-wife, Rachel? They were wonderful together.

17. Sharon malins says:

When is BItten coming to syfy uk?
    It’s got a great following so why hold out on us Brits ?😃 #lovekelleyarmstrong

18. laura cosgrove says:

when is the new season of the Vikings?

19. Mary Ann says:

I think it’s kind of stupid to wear hoods, like they do on Arrow. You have pretty much no peripheral vision wearing a hoodie. Seems like a bad choice for someone who needs to see bad guys coming from all directions.

20. Jill says:

The only change I want to see on Arrow is to go back to season 2 where Oliver, Diggle and Felicity were Team Arrow and they weren’t fighting all the time. Back when the show was fun to watch.
    This season the show is far too crowded with costumes, adoration of the comics. Could Oliver get any more stupid? Not to mention the really badly written emotional beats (Oliver sees Ray kissing Felicity, Oliver is still lying to Thea about the videotape)