Ratings: Bachelor High, Sleepy Low, Saul Ties Castle, Jane Tops Originals

Jane the Virgin Ratings

The Bachelor this Monday night drew 8.7 million total viewers and a 2.7 demo rating (per finals), ticking up to new season highs and marking gains of 9 and 17 percent versus a year ago.

Closing ABC’s night, Castle‘s two-parter kick-off — which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “A” — did 7.4 mil and a 1.6, rising two tenths to an 11-week high.

UPDATE: The time slot premiere of AMC’s Better Call Saul drew 3.4 million viewers and a 1.6 rating, down a good 50 percent from its zombie-boosted Sunday debut, but matching 10 o’clock rival Castle in the demo.

Elsewhere….

THE CW | Ticking up to 1.34 mil and a 0.6, Jane the Virgin bested lead-in The Originals (which slipped 18 and 29 percent to 1.22 mil/0.5).

NBC | Leading out of a clip show (4.6 mil/1.2), Celeb Apprentice‘s fresh hour (4.9 mil/1.4) fell a good 30 percent from last week’s double pump. The penultimate State of Affairs (4 mil/1.0) in turn slipped 15 percent and a tenth.

FOX | Gotham (5.6 mil/1.8) dipped a tenth and bubble drama Sleepy Hollow (3.9 mil/1.2) slipped 11 percent and two tenths, with both shows hitting series lows.

CBS | Broke Girls (9 mil/2.3) dipped a tenth, Scorpion (11.5 mil/2.3) and Mike & Molly (9.2 mil/2.2) were steady. NCIS: LA (10.4 mil/1.7) drew its second-largest audience of the season while steady in the demo.

1. LT says:

JANE!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Tran says:

Last night’s State of Affairs was a true letdown and seeing a beloved character in Nick Vera paid the ultimate sacrifice. Hope next week’s finale (season or series) doesn’t end in a “cliffhanger”. 2 Broke Girls continues to have a much improved season and my favorite LOL moment from that episode was when Caroline is doing her own “Vogue behind bars” and kudos to guest star Diane Delano whose best known from her role as Bobbi Glass from Popular. CBS better renew 2BG soon if it stays on Mondays or move to Thursdays after football next season.

• Chris says:

It’s the series finale no way it gets renewed sorry

• bj says:

Oh dear. I popped in to check the ratings for Castle and just had State of Affairs ruined for me. This thread doesn’t say spoilers. It says ratings.

• Chiguy says:

In all fairness, you don’t really need to read the comments if you’re just looking for the ratings numbers. You’ve got to assume discussions are going to veer into details of the episodes, especially if there’s not a dedicated episode recap article for the show.

• aar says:

There aren’t and never are any spoilers in the ratings articles. I also learned the hard way that you can’t read the comments for the these articles because people inevitably comment about show plots as they relate to the show ratings.

3. Babybop says:

Nooo! Someone please tell me there’s a good reason Sleepy Hollow dropped and the show won’t be canceled…

4. TicaTica says:

Happy for Castle, great episode last night. Hope next week it will up more!!! :)

5. KN says:

Wow. Just started watching Jane. Horrible numbers

6. Dean says:

wow I’m surprised LA has lasted this long the monday move and poor writing must have hurt it badly and the ratings show it. Sleepy Hollow’s ratings don’t bode well for its future.

• JBKD says:

Tried watching NCIS:LA. Boring show. Should have figured. My folks are older and recommended it. Guess that’s where the ratings must come from. That demo. Headed back to watching Castle. Dvr’ed it and wish now I had watched it live. Suspenseful episode last night. Although never a big fan of cliff hangers.

7. Joey says:

Sleepy Hollow really should have been 13 episodes like last season. Had it stayed at 13, it would have been way more tightly plotted out, instead of becoming monster of the week with very little overall development. It’s a pretty safe bet its going to be canceled now, and maybe that’s not such a bad thing. The show really isn’t even fun anymore. Season one was laugh-out-loud fun and edge of the seat exciting. If it does miraculously get a renewal, I hope they go back to the way they did it in season one.

• Ron says:

^ THIS THIS THIS! It’s what I’ve been saying (and many other like yourself have been saying) for quite some time now. As soon as news broke that SH would have an 18-episode season 2, I knew it was bad news! I keep watching because after I watch any series for a certain length of time, I’m gonna keep watching regardless of quality until the bitter end (I’m loyal to a fault like that). But SH season 2 has been testing me. I’ve moved it to day-after viewing instead of live, must-see viewing. I actually hope it gets a season 3 renewal because I live enough in la-la land that I think Fox and the show runners will listen to the viewers, take it back to 13 eps and make the show into what made it great during season one. Am I too optimistic? Absolutely. But I can hope right? Though I’m not sure season 3 is on the horizon at all.

• murley says:

I am hoping the network will feel some culpability for upping the episode order and renew it for a 13 episode season, maybe for mid season. I am not as critical of the show this season as most, they are elements that drag but overall the story is still really engaging and I want to see the long arc they are setting up play out. It also seems like the show runners are well aware of what has worked and not and will right the ship.

• Patrick says:

THEY CAN’T MAKE MONEY ON 13 EPISODE SEASONS. CABLE CAN GET AWAY WITH MAKING SO FEW EPS. BROADCAST TV CANNOT DO THAT. THAT THEY ONLY HAD TO DO 13 LAST YEAR WAS A FREAKING GIFT FROM HEAVEN. I WOULD HAVE MADE THEM MAKE IT UP THIS AND NEXT YEAR WITH 30+ EP SEASONS. IF THEY CAN’T HACK THE INCREASED NUMBER, THEY ARE IN THE WRONG PROFESSION.

• Rita says:

Ditto I too said it from the jump, it should have stayed at 13 episodes and than I feel this would have been a different conversation. I too hope the FOX realizes their mistake and give the show another season with ONLY the 13 episodes..

Gotham, is there something wrong with me because I enjoy the show is it the comic book purists?? I understand that I do. Just curious if I am alone feeling this.

8. Tran says:

I’ll be very upset if State of Affairs gets canceled soon and the Heigl haters still cannot be ignored. Don’t make me throw a temper tantrum.

9. Boiler says:

Someone tell me again why Hart of Dixie is supposed to be cancelled??? Please pair it with Jane and let them rock and roll

• Tran says:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Don’t know why the CW didn’t promote HoD as a “final season”.

• cerreno says:

i think that they should have paired HoD and Jane and put originals with tvd… that makes so much more sense… I also laugh SO hard they renewed Originals and the 100 with the same ratings they cancelled the secret circle…

• brandydanforth81 says:

Different years,different ratings situations.Plus,Secret Circle was exspensive and loosing a lot of its highest rated leadin and steadily declining all season while The 100 has been steady so has TO.The 100& TO do better in international sales & online viewing than SC did so they make more money.

• Cory says:

I still am bitterly upset about The Secret Circle being canceled, if I had the option of keeping The 100 or getting The Secret Circle back… well, it’d be an extremely tough choice but I’d prob pick TSC. That being said… the above comment is correct. It was very expensive. The special effects were held back a bit but when used, they were always top-notch. There were also vastly different locations used in every episode, sometimes for just a couple of scenes, which is also very expensive. Visually I think at the time TSC was one of the most stunning shows on all of broadcast. (TVD on the other hand has most of it’s major supernatural events happen off-screen or through dialogue, which is weird.)

I do think, though, that it was more that the CW execs didn’t “love” it as much as some of their other shows considering some of the things they’ve renewed in the past. I try very hard to forgive it, especially since they no longer sell it on iTunes or Google Play, but at least I can rewatch it every year on Netflix for the time being.

• mc says:

This pairing makes a lot of sense. Both comedies, both female leads, both non-supernatural

10. Boiler says:

Can someone explain why this many people watch the Bachelor. Such an embarrassing piece of trash. At least the viewers on Apprentice not great

11. Remy says:

The Originals was top notch last night! Those who skipped & only watched JTV missed out.

12. Gerri says:

I hope Sleepy Hollow gets a 3rd Season. It is a tough Time Slot, but a lot of Fox programs have not done great here. I never minded the Serialized format. But monster of the week is good too. Fingers crossed.

13. HAP says:

I think State Of Affairs is a is a pretty good show. I really hope they renew it.

That said, I see a parallel here. Internet trolls and certain media people have conspired to trash Heigl, despite her great performance, just like they have been doing to Brian Williams for going on an entertainment show and embellishing a long ago incident.

• CK says:

Um…the Brian Williams comparison is a bit forced and only there because you somehow want to redeem his actions. He is a newscaster who has been caught outright lying about multiple stories. If he were in the entertainment industry, sure not much of a big deal. However, he is the public face and the anchor of NBC’s news flagship program. His credibility is rightfully being call into question because his ability to tell the truth without bells and whistles to make himself look better directly affects his job and the credibility of the news organization.

14. Ella says:

Shame about Sleepy Hollow. Last night’s episode was pretty solid. The case-of-the-week wasn’t that interesting but it had lots of nice character moments.

15. kmw says:

No surprise with CBS a pretty good night for them. Castle was also not a surprise given the anticipation for episode, even though Saul was on the same time I thought Castles actual viewer ratings would go up, but still pretty good. FOX what has happened to them on Monday night. I know they both DVR well in the 7 day totals but not good, especially for Sleepy Hollow. Even Gotham is getting numbers I didn’t think they would get. NBC sure needs help as well.