Jon Stewart Leaving The Daily Show in 2015 — Can He Be Replaced?

Jon Stewart The Daily Show

Comedy Central’s weeknights are destined to look a lot different: The Daily Show host Jon Stewart will leave his eponymous late-night program later this year, TVLine has confirmed.

Comedy Central president Michele Ganeless commented on Stewart’s exit in a statement, saying:

“For the better part of the last two decades, I have had the incredible honor and privilege of working with Jon Stewart. His comedic brilliance is second to none. Jon has been at the heart of Comedy Central, championing and nurturing the best talent in the industry, in front of and behind the camera. Through his unique voice and vision, The Daily Show has become a cultural touchstone for millions of fans and an unparalleled platform for political comedy that will endure for years to come. Jon will remain at the helm of The Daily Show until later this year. He is a comic genius, generous with his time and talent, and will always be a part of the Comedy Central family.”

The Daily Show‘s Twitter account was quick to quip about the development — Stewart reportedly announced it at Tuesday’s taping — saying:

As recently as November, Stewart was mulling a Daily Show departure at the end of his current contract, saying that while he might end up having second thoughts à la Seinfeld’s engagement-ending George Constanza (a comparison he made), “I think there are moments when you realize that that’s not enough anymore, or maybe it’s time for some discomfort.”

Stewart’s announcement caps a year-long stretch of late-night TV shake-ups, from The Tonight Show‘s Leno-to-Fallon transition to John Oliver’s own Daily Show farewell (to helm HBO’s Last Week Tonight), from The Colbert Report‘s sign-off (as host Stephen prepares to eventually inherit CBS’ The Late Show) to Daily Show reporter Larry Wilmore’s recent debut as the host of Comedy Central’s The Nightly Show.

1. LADY_in_MD says:

Noooooooooo!!!!

2. Angela says:

Dang. Thank goodness for Oliver and Wilmore, at least I’ve got them to watch.
    This news makes me really sad.

3. Amy H says:

On one hand, I understand he’s decided that now is the time. But on the other hand, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! It’s just not The Daily Show without him. No one like him.

4. Personally I’m hoping they go with Craig Kilborn, then play it up like the past 18 years have been an extended guest-hosting gig.

• Carollynne D'Aquino says:

We didn’t know how good this show could be, until Jon added his magic! I watched Kilborn, and liked the show, but I really loved Stewart’s version so much more. I think Larry has a better chance if retaining the viewers than a returning Kilborn. JMHO😉

5. David4 says:

Of course he can be replace. My problem is the person to replace him went to HBO.

6. Grinchy Me says:

We love and have been devoted followers of Stewart’s Daily show and will miss him, but I can understand that he’d maybe want to relax a bit and spend more time with family (especially after seeing the interview with the actress talking about the movie Boyhood; I do think someone like John Oliver would be a good replacement. He’s quick and witty — and though he apparently has his own show now, it’s on a station we don’t get;

7. Maya says:

I love Jon and he will be sorely missed. He was the reason why I started to watch TDS. First Colbert and now Stewart, it’s an end of an era at Comedy Central.

8. Tran says:

NO! NO! NO! I’m shocked that Jon Stewart is leaving The Daily Show later in the year but no one can’t replace him not even CRAIG KILBORN?!

9. As much as I like the guy I do think it can be done. I will admit however I’m skeptical of anyone on hand is up to the task. I like Jason Jones and Samantha Bee fine but permanent hosts? I dunno…

10. Wordsmith says:

I feel like Jason Jones would also be a suitable replacement.
    He might not be in a place where he could launch his own new show, but with an established format like the Daily Show, I think he would be able to keep it going and maybe put a fresh spin on things. He has enough presence and charisma to be the man behind the desk.

11. Tom says:

There is only two people I would accept as his replacement. They’re both busy.

12. LT says:

Please tell me Rosie O’Donnell didn’t leave THE VIEW in preparation for this!!!!!

13. B says:

No word on future plans? More movie direction? Indeed the end of an era (what will the 2016 election be without him?), but all the best to him. Better to create a whole new/different show than try to have anyone fill his spot.

14. I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

How can you leave us to fend for ourselves going into 2016?!

15. Willthebeast says:

Brian Williams is available. Or they could just end the daily show and move the nightly show to 11 and give 11:30 to someone else, like maybe Anthony Jeselnik.

• Chris says:

That would be awesome I miss the jeselnik offensive or let doug benson do his thing lol

• Ron says:

Personal opinion: Anyone who gives Doug Benson a regular TV show should be punched in the face.

• Williwasnt says:

I never really liked Doug Benson, but then I gave “Getting Doug with High” a chance and he kind of grew on me. Still wouldn’t want him to take over CC’s 11:30, but he’s not as bad as I once thought.

16. Pat says:

I am really sorry to see him go. Can he be replaced? NO! John Stewart is the Daily Show. John Stewart and Stephen Colbert were like two bookends that absolutely complimented each other. 😞😞😞😞😞

17. Jared says:

Why was Chelsea Handler/Chelsea Lately not included in the commentary of “light night shake ups”.

Yet again proving that a woman in late night gets no respect.

• Gern Blanston says:

Maybe because her ratings were in the toilet and her show was about to get cancelled. Or maybe because she isn’t the cultural touchstone that Leno, Letterman, Stewart, and Colbert are or that Oliver and Fallon are on their way to becoming. Don’t get me wrong, I like Chelsea Handler and her show was pretty good but, her leaving late night didn’t so much as make a ripple in the waters while the others are creating tidal waves with their moves.

18. ggny says:

Dear Comedy Central. Hire Cecily Strong to replace him. Thank You

19. webly3 says:

I’d be extremely upset if they replaced him. They should just end the show altogether if he leaves.

20. Carollynne D'Aquino says:

For the better part of 20 years, I have enjoyed Jon Stewart and it pains me that I won’t have that show to delightfully skewer the news. I do however think that a great show could be designed using Jon and Brian Williams, who has shown a great sense of humor, and the unique talent for self-deprecation. I, for one, hope not to have seen the last of Williams or Stewart. Shake it off, Brian and Jon, shake it off! 😎

21. Sheila says:

Oh, my tiny heart is broken!

22. Carollynne D'Aquino says:

One option could be an ensemble show featuring the delightful Jessica, Samantha, Asif Mondvi and all the enduring characters Jon has helped blossom on The Daily Show😎

23. Zoe says:

THIS ISN’T REAL. I’M HAVING A NIGHTMARE THIS ISN’T REAL THIS CAN’T BE REAL

24. doris says:

Sorry to see Jon go, much success in the future.

25. Alice says:

Noooooooooooooo!

26. Caren says:

This seems to the be “time period” where MANY show’s HOSTS are retiring and moving on. Some of the former replacements are okay. Some are not. I know the only constant is change, but late night is just not the same anymore !!

27. hmmm, read off “jokes” written by his staff of writers, whilst smirking like a drunken chimp …. Good chance you’ll find someone capable of doing that. Can they read those jokes as smoothly or smirk as vigorously? who knows.

• maggie says:

Jon is one of the writers. He’s also the Executive Producer, making him the final say on what gets on the show. Stewart also does interviews, and those aren’t scripted. He can do serious interviews with authors and politicians, and do light interviews with actors and singers. Stewart has also shown in those interviews that he has a quick wit.

28. Can’t say I’m surprised. It’s time.

29. Nicole says:

NO! No, no, no, no, no. This cannot be happening.

30. password says:

Doug Stanhope!!!! Best replacement ever!

31. cp1945 says:

How about Chris Hardwick? Very sharp, quick on his feet, swears fluently. He was the first person other than John Oliver who came to mind. As for that, the money Jon Stewart was making could be enough to lure Oliver back from HBO.

32. Fido says:

If only John Oliver had stayed on a few months longer he would have had the pick of either taking over the Colbert time slot or replacing John Stewart. Am loving his HBO show but it is funny how things turn out. Can imagine anyone else as the next Daily Show host. BTW if it was known he was leaving back when he took time off to film his movie, maybe they should have tried a number of different people as temporary host rather than letting John Oliver do them all. Doing that would have shown who could and who couldn’t be the next full time host.

33. Nancy Skinner says:

Nothing to say! There is just no substitute! Jon Stewart or nobody…no show!

34. Gustavo romero says:

Done tosh is the right candidate for nite show

35. Susan Miller says:

Jon Stewart is the Daily Show. Sure some other comic can take over but it will not be The Daily Show. It takes John’s unique perspective, his timing and sense of humor/sarcasm ti make that show what it is.

36. Daniel tosh is the man for the job

37. sue says:

I remember when Stephen left to start his own show and I wondered whether he would be able to make it: was I wrong or what? I am hoping that Oliver will come back, but you never, ever know who is waiting in the wings. Look at all the talent that has come from the people who have worked on the Daily Show. One of Stewart’s talents is his ability to recognize and encourage new talent, so I believe the show is in good hands, right, Jon? Pretty please?

38. Josh says:

I absolutely think they’ll replace him. The Daily Show is too much of a commodity to let it die and Stewart wasn’t even the first host so it comes off as more natural to plug in a new host (like they do with the Tonight Show). I think they’ll go for a big name. I don’t know if any of the current correspondents would work. Rather than it coming off as a new kind of show, it might end up just seeming like a lesser-version of Stewart’s. If they do promote in-house, I would vote for Jessica Williams. I would definitely call Tina Fey first, but she’ll probably say no. Amy Poehler and John Oliver would be my next two calls, but I don’t think Poehler wants to commit to such an intense schedule that doesn’t allow you to do much else and I think Oliver enjoys his HBO show. So…maybe Joel McHale. Or bring back Lewis Black.

39. Dara says:

Well, here’s one from left field…someone who is good at embellishment with a dry sense of humor. Brian Williams! I think he needs a new job soon.