Melissa & Joey to End After 4 Seasons

Melissa & Joey Cancelled

The honeymoon’s over (again) for ABC Family’s Melissa & Joey.

The sitcom, which stars Melissa Joan Hart and Joey Lawrence as newlyweds, has been cancelled after four seasons, TVLine has confirmed.

Melissa & Joey‘s 100th episode, airing March 18 (8/7c) will also serve as its mid-season finale. TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the end of M&J.

News of the cancellation was first reported by The Wrap.

Your thoughts on the sitcom’s cancellation? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Cassidy says:

I hope Baby daddy won’t be next

2. Missy Kelly says:

that’s a shame. It’s a charming show!

3. brandon.james.schmidt@gmail.com says:

Wow, this surprises me!

• Patrick says:

Not me. When it comes to these cable and on-line series, we as viewers have to manage our expectations wrt longevity. For a lot of these shows there is no real chance of syndication deals, which is where the real money is in the TV business. For some cable shows, the blocker is that the show isn’t as good without the explicit language, nudity/sex, or violence. Or all three. Or, the show doesn’t reach the magic number for syndication, 88 eps. Finally, some of these cable shows simply don’t have the following for syndication. What makes a show “successful” on a cable outlet may not translate well enough for there to be a heavy demand in syndication.
      And if there is no syndication market, for whatever reason, then a show won’t get many more than 88-100 eps. After that many eps, the production costs will skyrocket due to labor deals and union contracts. So prepare yourselves when it comes to these cable/on-line shows. At a certain point, there profits are diminished so much that the show will end. I hope that the writers and creatives behind these types of shows realize this and prepare shows that can serve as finales when cable shows reach the 88 mark.

4. Tran says:

This makes me very sad.

5. Babybop says:

So sad!!!

6. Ram510 says:

When they renewed it some time back to bring its total 100 episodes I figured that would be it for M&J but it was doing so well in the summer that I figured they would let it have more episodes. It just seems too soon, it seems to be catching on with more people in the summer.
    So when will it come back after the miss eason finale, the summer? Cause aren’t they only on episode 88 or somewhere around there? When will be the series finale?

7. abz says:

Not terribly saddened by this. The show has just been okay recently; not too great. Kind of lost the charm from the early seasons I guess.
    Now Baby Daddy on the other hand continues to be hilarious and laugh out loud funny to me. I hope it continues for several more seasons.
    My guess is maybe they’ll start pairing Baby Daddy with Young & Hungry to keep that whole comedy Wednesdays thing going.

8. Will episode 100 be mid-season or series finale? Because my calculations gave me 102 episodes total, but according to wikipedia there would be 104 episodes total and anyways it makes no sense to put them on hiatus when there will be just 2/4 episodes left…

9. Linda says:

I haven’t liked it this season with them being married and the addition of his daughter and nephew.

10. Średniej wielkości bo kto sprzatałby taki wielki dom duże okna.

11. Jackie says:

I’m not surprised, this show has gone downhill and ratings have dropped.

Nick Robinson being absent from multiple episodes, secret daughter Dani, Joe’s annoying nephew Marco and Melissa and Joey getting married was the beginning of the end for this show.

• Jeff says:

Melissa and Joey is/was a great show. Yes it is gone downhill. the reason why the show was so great in the first two and a half seasons was because there was the suspense of Melissa and Joey liking each other but they never admitted it. Now that they are together and married and they have added other people to the show, it’s killed it. them ragging on each other just isn’t the same as it was before we knew that they liked each other and also with rider off the show and the kids older now it just doesn’t work anymore

12. Babygate says:

Tried it but didn’t catch my attention. I hope Baby Daddy
    Is not at risk. That is the only comedy that really makes me laugh out loud.

13. Jackie says:

Good, because Season 4 so far has been terrible and I miss Ryder. I hate the new daughter Dani and Joe’s nephew Marco is irritating.

14. Sarah T. says:

this season has been very “meh” for me. I don’t like the addition of Joe’s nephew (who I guess is living with them and dating Mel’s niece) or Joe’s daughter. And what the heck happened to Ryder? Why did he leave the show?

• Cassie says:

Nick Robinson has been getting movie roles Kings of Summer, Jurassic World, and now YA adaption The Fifth Wave with Chloe Grace Moretz.

15. Bea says:

I really enjoyed the show and am sad to see it go.

16. Sarah says:

What?? No! :(

17. Luis says:

Now MJH is free for that supposed “Bewitched” remake!

18. Mark says:

Hopefully this means we can have Sabrina the Middle Aged Witch! Girl Meets World is doing well so why not?

19. Mikaela says:

I knew once they married off Mel and Joe, the end was near.

20. John Jacob says:

As soon as Ryder started not appearing this season I knew it was over. He’s getting movie roles and no longer has time for M&J. The show was never awesome but it was always fun to watch. Bringing in Joey’s “lost daughter” was the nail in the coffin IMHO. She adds nothing to the show at all. The chemistry was between Ryder and Lennox and how they played off each other. This season just had a bad feeling from the jump.

• T.W.123 says:

Agreed! This season just has a vibe of “it’s over”. And at 100 episodes, they already have all they need to sell it for syndication. The writing was on the wall with this one. Especially when you couple it with with the success of ABC Family’s new sitcom “Young & Hungry”. They will likely air the last 2/4 episodes in late Spring or early Summer as a “goodbye special” and then continue on pairing “Y&H” with “Baby Daddy” for the summer season.

21. Samara says:

It had a good run, show started going downhill after Mel and Joe got married. This season has not been great at all.

22. Kimberly says:

Ugh. No!!!! Everything I really get into a show, it gets canceled :(

23. sherry says:

Y’all are so stupid for canceling the good shows we will stop watching you

24. ashley says:

I love this show best show ever wishing wasn’t canceled miss this

25. viki Davison says:

Cant believe yous have axed the show, its one of my favourite tv shows, its fun and awesome to watch, has alot of fans, why axe it?? Leave it on, take off another show thats no where near as entertaining!!!

26. rachelle says:

Terrible, terrible news! This is so unexpected and makes me so sad!

27. James says:

It’s all good. It’s okay. It’s alright. Because I can say it’s all good, it’s okay, it’s alright!

I guess you’re stuck with me….

28. analis says:

NOOOOOOOO this should be illegal.

29. brandydanforth81 says:

Too bad, I like the show.But 100 episodes,four seasons and -I’m hoping -a proper ending is a good run.It was coming to natural rend anyway with Nick not on much,Mel & Joe together/married and Joe not a “manny” anymore & both Lennox & Ryder are adults now.

30. Joey Padron says:

Sad the show is cancelled. Glad they made it to 100 episodes & had a good run over past few years.

31. Ann says:

I’ll be sad to see it go, but the show has run its course. The kids are now grown up and Melissa and Joey are now married. They’ll probably end the series with them having their first child. It would be a good, natural conclusion. Baby Daddy has about a year or two left in it. Cable shows don’t run as long as network television shows. 4 or 5 years is really good in cable terms.

32. gabby83 says:

No no no love this show

33. Jessica Bryan says:

Why would they do that it was one of my favorite shows its was a really good one too

34. ChrisGa says:

The show is still cute but not as funny as either Baby Daddy or Young and Hungry. And it went a little awry for me when they brought on the daughter(the character AND the actress playing her are both irritating).

35. Debbie says:

Why d hey keep cancelling shows that families can set down and watch together.

36. Kristina says:

I hate it’s cancelled but glad it got as many seasons as it did!

37. Luli says:

I M so sad. Didn’t expect this at all. I hope we can see MJH and Taylor Spreitler on another tv show.

38. Diane O says:

Please rethink the cancellation, M & J will be missed. Please don’t take Baby Daddy or Young & Hungry.

39. Temperance says:

They had a good run! They pretty much played out the premise, and managed four seasons of getting Melissa and Joey back on our screens as adults. Melissa is always a little broad, but hopefully, they’ll find that M&J was a decent springboard.

40. Chris H says:

Boooooo

41. terina says:

I love this show. I find it still being funny and refreshing. I wish they would change there minds.

42. Linda says:

I love this show. It’s comfort food for me! However, the new episodes this season are just terrible. Surely more care could have been taken into casting Joe’s daughter as well as integrating her into the ensemble.

The 2014 Halloween “Sabrina” episode was the best.

43. ronnethe says:

what happened?? i love melissa and joey. i hope not for baby daddy either.

44. Tuesday Chitwood says:

Please don’t cancel Melissa and Joey. I love this show!

45. Anthony Lewis says:

I just found the show on Netflix and love it. Give it more time it very funny and the chemistry between the actors are marvelous to watch.

46. Television says:

Terrible news, love this show. Maybe they can have a “it was all just a dream” episode, get rid of Joeys love child and keep this show on the air.

47. Caitlin says:

what you can’t cancel this show? it’s so good and it’s quite loved here in the U.K and especially in the first two seasons it really strayed away from those typical sitcoms as they did not get together even thought eventually they did which we all love but I think getting married that quickly ruined it and especially that secret child she has practically killed it and i’m a big Nick Robinson fan and it sucks that he is hardly in it because I would love to see what he does with his life after he decided not to go to uni

48. kristina says:

Thought the show was cute. I’ve watched since it first aired being a fan of both Melissa and Joey for many years. Think the writers shouldn’t have rushed the relationship with them. They ruined the suspense. They went from friends to lovers to married in one season. Still sad to see it go. Mel and Joe are both talented and I’m sure we’ll be seeing them on tv again.

• MJ says:

Yes, I agree they rushed the relationship. All in one season. No break ups. All of a sudden they were in love and getting married and Joey has a love child. It was all over the place.

49. xmenfanboy97 says:

Good effing riddance.

50. Maricela Ruelas says:

Can’t believe such a great show with great characters has come to an end. I guess funny and wholesome comedy is no longer appreciated. It’ll be missed.