Forever Adds Cuba Gooding Jr. as Jo's Wealthy New Love Interest

Forever Season 1 Cast Cuba Gooding Jr.

Forever‘s grieving Det. Martinez is about to get a lot less lonely: Cuba Gooding Jr. has been cast on the ABC drama as a love interest for Alana de la Garza’s widowed character, EW.com reports.

The Oscar winner will play Isaac Douglas, a rich do-gooder who — after being cleared as a possible murder suspect — wines and dines the lovely crimefighter over a multi-episode arc.

RELATED Forever Stars Talk Adam’s Puzzling Return

“You will see more of [Jo’s] love life, for sure” in coming episodes, de la Garza told TVLine during a recent visit to the series’ Brooklyn set. “You’ll see her go on dates and maybe have a love interest for a little while.”

The new storyline will allow viewers to see the tough cop “in a little bit of a different light,” the actress says. “I mean, she goes on a date and she might dress up a little bit, which is fun.”

RELATED Forever Scoop via Matt’s Inside Line!

She added: “I’m all about it.”

Gooding will first appear on the series in late March. He recently was cast as O.J. Simpson in FX’s upcoming American Crime Story: The People Vs. O.J. Simpson.

1. LJ Bissonnette says:

I LOVE Cuba Gooding Jr. He was fantastic in A Murder of Crows. It’s one of my favorite movies. I also love this show and all its cast. Cuba Gooding should fit right in right along with all the other awesome cast members!

2. Corastacy says:

So very excited about this! It will be great to see more of happy/lighter Jo.

3. N says:

Renew Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. TVNerd says:

I don’t get when shows add guest stars in the end of a season when the show’s ratings make it seem like it’s getting cancelled 90%….

• Lizo says:

It may help increase ratings. Plus, I think it will get renewed.

• Becky says:

I don’t understand. Why wouldn’t they add guest stars? Do you expect them to just give up on the last episodes of the season because the ratings aren’t great?

• Even so, adding guest stars have nothing to do with a show’s status, that’s a whole separate issues. Most shows whether they’re renewed or not adds them so long as they’re in production which this show is. TvNerd has no idea what he’s talking about.

• Because it happens all the time whether a show gets renewed or cancelled. They will still cast actors or up them to regulars or whatever. That has no bearing on the show’s actual status either, it’s just the way things are just because you don’t understand it.

5. Lizo says:

Oh that’s wonderful news!!!

6. pamela says:

Hmm seems to imply the love won’t last long if he’s only in a few episodes. It would be nice for a tv show to keep someone around as a steady bf or gf for a main characters private life instead of having romance be within the main cast as always.

7. Tran says:

SHOW ABC THE MONEY!!!

8. j says:

I liked him better on Empire…

9. maria says:

I love Forever and this just gives me all the more reason to watch!

10. Imzadi says:

Ever since Rat Race I can’t take Cuba Gooding Jr. as a serious actor; he’s a comedian IMHO.

11. anonymous says:

I love CGJ but HELL TO THE NO!!!! Jo’s only love interest should be Henry they’re so cute together!!😀

• Albert says:

Go with ya there, mate. Henry and Jo belong together! But guess we will never see that happening as the show has been cancelled. Why are good shows cancelled?

• Albert says:

Jo and Henry belong together! I find Cuba irritating. I’m quite glad Jo dropped him! haha

• Al says:

Renew! Renew! Renew! *sigh* Guess it is too late now? Great show axed just like that.

12. ATB says:

I just want Jo and Henry to end up together already. If this show doesn’t get a second season and it ends with him never telling Jo the truth, then damn.

13. Femaletoo says:

Jo and Henry don’t have any chemistry together beyond friendship/partnership. Jo is a very beautiful character but stiff and boring. Or she isn’t given much to do. Henry has a better chemistry with the blonde professor/psychiatrist but they don’t consistently pursue that storyline. They should just stick to the mysteries and the murders, no need for those romance side stories. It doesn’t add to the show.

14. thom says:

I really like show but writers keep getting the lead characters getting closer until.. this episode. I think Cuba is a nice fit but to keep him all nicey nice is wrong. If they made him more evil and getting Det Joe to bend to his will or to have Cuba trying to get revenge on the doctor.

15. Wiliam DeMente says:

Cuba Gooding Jr. as a guest star for one episode was a good idea. Anything more than that makes his character a distraction from the central character upon whom the entire story line was originally based. I really don’t see how Cuba Gooding Jr. can be worked into “Forever” without diminishing the role of the central character and turning the series into some kind of a Cuba Gooding Jr. show. After watching the second episode guest starring Cuba Gooding Jr.. I am beginning to lose interest in “Forever” which I felt had such an excellent and promising beginning.