Castle Recap: 'We'll... Meet Againnn...'

Castle 3XK Kidnaps Beckett

This week on ABC’s Castle, Rick and Kate got at least one (and possibly two) blasts from the past, when the murder of a pretty blonde led them first to Dr. Kelly Nieman, and then to a guy who looked a lot like Jerry Tyson aka serial killer 3XK.

All told, this long-awaited opener to the sweeps two-parter was pretty damn tight, not a moment wasted, every scene counted. Guest stars Annie Wersching and Michael Mosley, on screen together for the first time, made for a chilling one-two punch, even when holding frickin’ hands as they waltzed out of the 12th. It all built to a final sequence that, yes, you probably saw coming, but nonetheless was alternately gripping and haunting. That said, it did rely heavily on one narrative cheat, as denoted by my “GMAB” below.

Setting things in motion was the murder of Susan Watts, a young blonde whose corpse struck a nerve with Lanie. Turns out, the vic had gone under the knife, via a technique akin to that performed by Dr. Kelly Nieman on last season’s Lanie/Esposito lookalikes. Indeed, in digging up info on the deceased, Beckett finds a strongly suggested link to Dr. Nieman. Alas, there’s simply not enough evidence to establish a connection — even when Amy Barrett, a blonde bearing a striking resemblance to Susan, Castle 3XK Kidnaps Beckettis spied leaving Nieman’s practice… and then getting into a truck with (seemingly) Jerry Tyson.

After a bit of good ol’ “canvassing,” RySpo track down the truck’s owner, one “Michael Boudreau,” and bring him into the station for questioning by Rick and Kate. The POI claims to have never met either of his interrogators, and then insists he is in fact Michael Boudreau, and that he had a bit of “work done” that left him looking like Jerry Tyson — for better or for worse.

Getting everyone’s goat is the fact that because Fake Lanie last season accessed and removed all of the 3XK files/evidence from the precinct, they have no Tyson DNA to compare to Boudreau’s. So Rick and Kate hightail it Castle 3XK Kidnaps Beckettto see Tyson’s mother in White Plains, though there they learn that 1) she wasn’t his biological mother and 2) Jerry years ago stopped by to collect all of his things. Mom however held onto a few keepsakes — including a matchbox with one of Jerry’s baby teeth.

Back in the interrogation room — while Kate races off (alone, GMAB) to meet with a newly anxious Amy Barrett, and as Gates waits for the DNA results — Rick confronts Boudreau/Tyson about his mommy issues, how he must have realized that killing women who looked like his young mom was more sadistically sating than snuffing the old broad herself. And then he got the idea to have Dr. Nieman cut patients to meet his precise needs. “You raise them, like livestock,” Rick remarks. “It’s you.” The man responds, “Yes, it is” — pause, pause, pause, pause — “if by ‘you,’ you mean Michael Boudreau.” And moments later, Gates confirms the worst, entering to set Mr. Boudreau free, since the tooth was no match.

Just as Boudreau walks to the elevator with Dr. Nieman, adorably/creepily holding hands, Rick realizes that the name of the man who found Susan Watts — “ED TURNER” —  is an anagram for RETURNED. And that Boudreau and Nieman meant to both be at the 12th at that moment for a reason — “Beckett!” We then see Kate on a dark sidewalk get a call, but it’s not Rick, it’s the song, “We’ll Meet Again,” followed by a syringe to her shoulder. Kate slumps into a wheelchair and gets carted away by…?Castle_Nieman

While Rick is unable to reach Kate, Nieman takes a call from a disguised voice that says, “It’s done” — just as the elevator doors close, but not before Boudreau/Tyson shoots a wink at Rick.

Elsewhere in the episode: A casual chat about Alexis (who now gives Kate goodbye kisses in the morning) reveals that Kate to some degree has baby on the brain, while Martha thanking Rick for urging her to pursue the theater role she got was a nice nod to the alt-reality episode.

What did you think of the episode “Resurrection”? Is Boudreau in fact Tyson, and a fake baby tooth was left behind when he picked up his stuff from Ma? Or did Nieman cut Boudreau to look like Tyson, for the purpose of a grand gaslighting scheme?

1. Andrea says:

Loved this episode. Really enjoyed how the weaved in the clips from the previous 3XK cases. I can’t get over the preview for part 2; Castle crying over finding Kate, or whoever he finds, looks so great. It’s going to be a long week!

2. Leigh Townley says:

Holy cow! I knew it was coming and I was still surprised! Wow…

3. Heather says:

What does GMAB mean? I know I’m missing something obvious here, but, clue me in please. It’s late.

4. maria says:

Well written and superbly acted by all, especially Nathan Fillion and Michael Moseley. Next week’s episode looks absolutely heart-stopping.

5. c-mo says:

That wink at the end…SO CREEPY!!!! I loved this episode and based on the preview for next week’s I’m sure it will be just as fantastically creepy and fabulous.

6. Dj says:

The best episode of the season. I was on edge the whole show. Really I hope they get away next week. Jerry Tyson is the perfect nemesis to Rick.

7. Fran says:

Fantastic episode. Can’t wait until next week.

8. Vickie B. says:

What an epic episode! The promo for next week just broke my heart!!! Can’t wait for next Monday!

9. Betisa says:

Absolutely brilliant, the music, the acting, the flashbacks, the cliffhanger … everything!

10. bj says:

The “GMAB moment” for me when when they actually thought that woman would keep his baby tooth. That was obviously planted for them to find.

Apart from that I loved the episode. It was really well done.

11. Just one thing says:

I can’t help but think that…
    No matter what happens to Castle and Beckett next ep, they’ll be playing around in spacesuits the following week.
    So, either Beckett is on some primo anti-anxiety meds (for life?), or they have somehow found the MIB memory – destroying machine that Castle used a while back.

• lkh says:

JOT-now exactly what are you even talking about? :] seriously, what?

• Just one thing says:

LOL *SPOILER*
        They will literally investigate a murder while wearing spacesuits in two weeks, I kid you not. 👽

• sigh says:

Not sure I get the second part, either, but the spacesuits comment is hilarious :)

• Just one thing says:

Ha, basically I have a hard time feeling the stakes they’ve raised for 7×15 when they published the press release for 7×16, a seemingly silly and irreverent episode that is true to the series’ pattern of chasing drama with comedy.
        Perhaps this is the season where they address character trauma a bit more directly. Stranger things have happened so far this season.
        Like serious, foreshadow-y baby talk, WTF?

• lkh says:

yea-heard the baby stuff. you’re right, WTF? have a kid with someone who disappeared for 2 months.

• lkh says:

wow, that sounded grumpy–where’s my coffee?

• Just one thing says:

That DID sound grumpy. Haha.
            I’m not opposed to it being inferred that Castle and Beckett will have kids some day in the future, as was done when they took care of the wee one a couple Christmases ago. But I really never thought the writers would be so forthright with being a possibility moving forward.
            Part of me does worry that, after all of Stana Katic’s casual joking for years, they’re finally like, “Well, sure. What ELSE can we do with Beckett now?” As if there are no other steps for the character’s development or, equally obnoxious, as if having a kid is some kind of simple afterthought for the character now. Given the nature of their lives, expanding their family shouldn’t be handled lightly, right?
            Oh, who am I kidding? 😛

• lkh says:

just yourself JOT. hahaaaaaaa

• DarkDefender says:

My guess is that if they do not re-sign SK & NF or it gets cancelled.. The finale will have Beckett pregnant. Either that or she is pregnant now and the ordeal with 3XK & Neiman cause her to miscarry.
            Although a pregnant Beckett could work longer as a PI than as a cop in the field.

• lkh says:

Good grief DD–should you be Dark Mood Defender today. Coffee helped me.

• DarkDefender says:

lkh: it’s my birthday… So yes.. Very dark mood. But I agree.. #coffeeislife

• sigh says:

Oh geez! I thought the actual spacesuits part was a joke, although yes, we can’t expect a serious episode after a darker two-parter. But I sure wouldn’t mind if they broke that pattern a little. Oh well, like you said, at least they are consistent. :)

• lkh says:

well, Happy Birthday! … or maybe not :[

• Cap says:

Back to the usual as always. Should we really expect sth else ? They’ll come back to it when it’s convenient for them or well the season ends…..
      3XK and Mosley are always a plus in my books so enjoyed the episode. Not all was good but I’ve seen worse (season 6).

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yes, and that is how it always, always has been.

• Just one thing says:

And it’s (almost) always, always jarring. :-)
        But that’s alright. They are consistent, so no one can say they’re surprised. But I can’t be the only one who finds that pattern a bit trite.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The key to a happy life is judiciously choosing the things you get irked about. After all, the definition of insanity is….

• Just one thing says:

I still enjoy the show, even when kvetching about the same things. :-)
            I’ll also try not to take it personally that you implied insanity, and just assume you’re quick to defend because you’ve had the opportunity to get to know the people behind the series. (No harm in that!)
            Obviously the creative patterns they established long ago have worked well for them in the past. Has it continued to work well for them this season, and will it continue to work for a presumed 8th season? We’ll see!

• lkh says:

JOT–my experience is that we’re all a little crazy–it’s just that some of us are taking meds, others not :D

• Katherine215 says:

Well, it’s a procedural tv show. What else would they do? You can’t do 6 episodes of PTSD. For me, that’s a required suspension of disbelief. I actually think Castle does a pretty good job with callbacks to stuff like this.

• My reply contains possible spoilers for future Castle episodes!

…or the person in the chair in the promo is not Kate, but a Kate look-alike. Nieman does love to recreate the faces of the Castle-team…
      …or as any fictional main character, Kate Beckett is a superhero, and it takes 24 hours to get over the physical and emotional pain caused by something bad happening (like death in family, kidnapping, getting shot…) *wink”
      …or there is a significant time-jump after next episode. like 5 months…

My reply is based on the assumption that you are saying that because Kate is back to “normal, happy” everyday life and case solving that whatever happens to her during that abduction is not affecting her enough to be on “medical leave”. Because according to your assumption she in that case would be either on anxiety meds that she needs to deal with the feelings the abduction left her with, or that the “MenInBlack” stick was used to delete all her memories of the event (was that also what happened to Rick last summer, when he was missing? his memory was wiped with that thing? wink) so she can be back to everyday life. Because the assumption is that all people/fictional character fall apart after ever traumatic event.

12. K says:

I loved this episode. Brilliant writing, acting and directing. Michael, Annie, Nathan and Stana really brought their A game. I thought the opening family scene was a sweet way to open up the episode. Something light hearted because of the way the rest of the episode went. I think it is fishy that they brought up the baby talk in this episode. I think the baby talk will come up again in future episodes after 715. I do not believe that Beckett is already pregnant.

The ending was so predictable, but I loved it. Beckett being drugged and placed in a wheelchair and being pushed of by ????.

The promo broke my heart in half. Beckett being strapped to a table. Castle yelling Beckett NO and then Castle crying over Beckett and saying “I’m so sorry”

Can’t wait until Monday,

13. Kate says:

Whoa! That was one an amazing, intense episode. Next week’s looks like it will be even more so. I can’t wait!

14. Mike Q says:

The boys at the 12th are the least competent cops on the face of planet earth. Instead of looking for Tyson’s DNA, why not simply test the DNA of Boudreau’s parents? Bad, bad writing.

15. Flemdog36 says:

Bet money castle finds a dead look a like of beckett

• Kira says:

I’m totally prepared for Good Beckett vs Evil “Beckett”!!! No doubt Stana would kill it lol

• ^ I did not even think of this. Nieman is obsessed with Kate’s face. Great theory!

• Yep. After reading your comment I have gone from 99% sure to 100% sure that Nieman has created a Kate look-alike, like I have suspected since seeing the spoilers/promo for this episode. The fact that her compliments to her about her “perfect” face always happen when they meet, is most definitely a clue, if others noticed that too. Right?

The lookalike theory makes sense if the Rick finding the person in the chair and Rick attacking a man/3xk both happen before the found body/person is examined, and her not being Kate determined. Because Castle in that promo at least looks like he thinks he either lost someone (his wife, his baby, or she/someone was in a serious condition).

16. DarkDefender says:

Pretty sure Kate comes away without a scar next week… But not so sure they don’t make someone (or 2) look like her by episode’s end. I hope this has nothing to do with the new Rick mythology/disappearance, but if Tyson did have something to do with it, at this point.. It would be quite brilliant… If they planned it properly and play it out wisely. It is going to be a very long week.

17. CJ says:

Such a great episode. I’m so excited for the second part next Monday. In the meantime, I’m looking forward to Sirens tomorrow as a Michael Mosley palate cleanser!

18. James D says:

3XK is the best serial killer in TV history. loved the story in this episode it so encapsulated Tyson. with that said I wasn’t a huge fan of the flashbacks I thought it took you out of the immersion of the episode and broke the tension. And I agree with Matt, Beckett going off on her own SMH that was pretty ridiculous. But it was definitely an intriguing end who is Amy Berrett? Castle this time bring a shotgun and few grenades make sure you get him this time :) Can’t wait for part II

19. Castleforever says:

Absolutely amazing.
    Just hope they carry out the same in the next episode.
    The preview was so creepy.

20. Alex Skipper says:

I was completely wrong about what i thought was going to happen!! I never thought they would go after Beckett until i heard her tell Castle not to come with her, you know to go meet the witness. Oh i can’t believe she let them get her, my husband and I were talking about how “bad ass” she is last night and how she would NEVER fall into some of the same tricks that Castle does. Oh I hope Beckett is okay, It’s going to be hard to wait until next week!! :(

21. m3rcnate says:

Come on guys…no need for DNA tests or anything like that…if you go to the best plastic surgeon in the world and get your face worked on to look like Brad or Angelina and it works, you are their doppelganger!…but… you will still have your unique voice. You wont sound like Brad Pitt or Angelina…and once you open your mouth you will stick out like a sore thumb as a imposter. Surgery to change your face does NOTHING to change your voice.

• Jake says:

Plus, they have photos of the real killer. No matter how good the surgery, they could run an analysis of the killer and the suspect and see if they are an exact match.

22. Don Bless says:

Yes! More Castle! Keep em coming!

23. lkh says:

Yikes! yikes! those are the creepiest villains ever. I hate it when they’re smarter too–we’ll just see. Really good episode, even though we kinda knew what was going to happen. Even after saying that, I have questions:
    1. why is Beckett out and about by herself? Not just at the end, but even before that. Wouldn’t a detective pick up a partner and not go out by herself? I know Castle is grounded, and it’s bad enough when she goes out with just him-a non cop-but that’s the story. But I was really uncomfortable when in the early scenes she went to the hospital by herself. Of course, in that emergency situation at the end, it was clear that wasn’t a good idea at all and the guys were just standing around complaining–hey, get in the car.
    2. it seems as tho the good doctor was a person of interest who just disappeared after those previous murders. And now it seems she’s back in the city and practicing, doing surgery either on staff or with privileges at a local hospital and also on staff at local clinics. This wouldn’t have been noticed by anyone-like maybe they had been looking for a particular plastic surgeon before and folks in the field might know this and…blah, blah
    3. why did Lanie think the victim was similar to the prior murders? was it the surgical technique? implants? that was a bit of a push.
    4. where’d this doc get these mad surgical skills? all done within 6 months, no scars, no redness, no nothing. too bad she’s a sociopath.
    5. do you think that was really Tyson’s step mom?

Excellent job by all. That song, doesn’t do anything but increase the scary, icky, creepy.

I like someone’s suggestion that the person Castle is talking to when he says he’s sorry is another one of Neiman’s patients that looks like Beckett.

24. Matthew Weber says:

SO obviously they aren’t going to kill off or seriously maim Beckett. Right?

I liked it, but I FREAKIN HATE CLIFF HANGERS!!!!!

And I still don’t care for the 3XK story line. Here’s hoping next week is the last we see of it.

• SEI625 says:

The 3XK story is getting tiring for me too. Hope Castle snaps his neck after they find out where Kate is. Time for Tyson to fry in hell!,

• DarkDefender says:

Unless… In Soap Opera fashion.. Kate does get her face altered and she comes back as a different actress.
      Seriously, I am kidding.. SK fans.. Just kidding.

25. I gotta say, Nathan Fillion is a good actor when he’s funny, but when he needs to be serious he completely blows my mind! I can’t wait for the next episode!!!!

26. kathy says:

I really loved this episode: it was really really good. Kudos to Nathan Fillion and Michael Mosley. Also, nice to see Alexis and Martha again.
    What I wanna know is of this has anything to do with Castle’s disappearance in last season’s finale. They did say they would go more into that in the second half of season 7. Also, if that’s the case are they gonna make Beckett forget everything that’s gonna happen after she got kidnapped?

• DarkDefender says:

I am guessing she does not forget and then later questions Rick about his “memory loss” from his disappearance, just like he questioned her not remembering the first time he said he loved her when she got shot.

27. DMCo says:

This truly was one of the best episodes this season. In fact, all 3XK episodes are intriguing. They really handled the “creepy” well and did not disappoint.

28. Anonymous says:

Pretty typical of a Castle two-part episode now a days. Over dramatic script and lots of dialog!

How is the the ratings for this Monday?

29. Dr.Zoid says:

Wouldn’t it be great if Dr. Nieman was in fact Jerry Tyson but altered?

30. R says:

Let me state the obvious first: this episode was a clear step above most of season 7. It would be foolish of me not to give everyone, from the writers to the director(s) to the actors, their props. The creepiness was definitely worthy of the 3XK storyline. The end scene with Tyson, Neiman, and Castle staring at each other was specifically chilling. Unfortunately, in an episode filled with cleverness, anticipation, and taut storytelling, I am extremely disappointed with the writers for taking the unequivocal laziest path to the cliffhanger. There was ZERO reason for Kate to go after the suspect alone. Not taking Castle, fine, but literally any cop would have sufficed. It wouldn’t anger me so much if the dumbing down of Beckett’s character wasn’t becoming increasingly prevalent this season. For six seasons Beckett was a smart, strong, badass cop. Those character traits are slowly being taken away from her. It’s fairly obvious the 3XK setup is to portray Castle as the rockstar (a poor mans Target/Hunt per se) which I’m completely fine with. Even though I feel Castle’s influence was embellished (I can’t be the only one who felt Castle was basically the lead detective on the case?) a return to the smart, serious, and dynamic Richard Castle of old is a much needed and welcomed sight. However, Castle being well written shouldn’t come at the expense of the other lead character. The writers seem to have a serious problem consistently writing both C&B to their potentials at the same time. I hate judging an episode before it airs (and the promos are specifically designed to screw with us) but I can’t help being thoroughly nervous with the path I think they might take the next episode. If the entire premise is Beckett being tied up waiting for Castle to save his damsel in distress, well then I think they’ll have wasted a tremendous opportunity to finish, what I think, will be the final installment of a great 3XK storyline. As much as 3XK is Castle’s arch nemesis, Beckett deserves to take down Jerry Tyson (and especially Kelly Neiman) alongside Castle. It would be the only fitting parallel to Veritas.

• Kyaarra says:

Beckett told the reason she’s going alone, to not scare the girl off, which could be easy as she had just seen herself dead on TV. Only the finale had Beckett dumbing down, otherwise she’s been the same, in that sense. And if you mean Beckett standing beside Castle when he does everything, as a bystander, then I agree, because that’s what Castle was made to do mostly in Veritas.

• lkh says:

I agree there are character changes (behavior) underway. Castle isn’t as whiny and fussy and Beckett isn’t as tense and aggressive. This is what should have evolved in their personal lives and it’s become clear that it has. Less eye rolling. However, Beckett can’t take this new personality to work. It has to be like a light switch for her, home=nice Beckett, work= bad Beckett-but she seems to have gotten a little dumber about how to be a cop.

• Dj says:

But at the time she wasn’t going to see a suspect. She was going to met some one she thought was a scared witness/victim of Jerry Tyson who might be able to help with their case and she was going to met her while the two suspect were at the police station.

31. I gave the episode a B (above average), because it was well above the average, but since I could see all the turn points miles away, and I had trouble making my very logical mind believe that Kate would go to a meeting with POI who in her belief was in danger from 3xk alone, or that the team would not see that the tooth, and the blonde were “planted”, or that they did not become extremely suspicious the second they saw both Tyson & Nieman at the 12th together… even before Kate left. I guess I would call those the/my GMAB of the episode.
    I know that characters sometimes act strangely, miss clues, do illogical things, etc, to help the story, and keep the suspense – as the feeling of the bad guys seemingly getting away is supposed to keep the viewers “on edge” and thinking “will the team figure it out, and catch the bad guys”. And it is entirely the “fault” of my logical mind that I have a hard time believing in such “techniques”. Because other than my personal problem, the episode was great. Especially great was the acting. Mostly by “Michael/Tyson”, Nieman, Kate, and Rick. Those performances were so well done. Perhaps even some of the best scenes in the season.

32. Teri says:

I can’t make sense of any of it because it is sooo twisted. Great writing! There are no creepier guest stars than Michael and Annie. I was riveted the whole episode and really enjoyed the opening scene with Martha and Alexis. Lanie, Ryan, and Espo all instrumental in the storyline as well. When Beckett is in peril, it flips Castle fans out because we love her so much. This will be a very long week until Part 2. Best show, best writers, best actors.

33. AC says:

Castle and 3xK remind me of the Dark Knight’s Batman and Joker relationship.

34. Mary says:

It was awesome, that´s all I´ll say! And I can´t wait for next week!

35. jon says:

My FAVORITE Show on TV!

36. shalena says:

Just please don’t change becketts face I don’t like when they bring in a some one new to replace a main actor or actress the show isn’t the same when they do that. So please don’t change her face.

• John NYC says:

Her contract demands stay reasonable and her face is safe. Her agents get too feisty and, well, Castle will get used to it. Especially if they cast Briget Regan.

37. John NYC says:

Kidnapped by a mad plastic surgeon is brilliant. Stan’s contract demands get over the top and “Beckett” comes back with a new face, coincidentally of the newly signed more affordable actress!

Briget Regan could be excellent. She’s killing it, literally, on Agent Carter.

• carbono says:

I don’t care who they would bring in; no Stana, no show! Ridiculous to even think otherwise. I mean COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS!!

38. carbono says:

I can’t wait to see “Badass Castle” next week! Although I have a feeling that in the end it’s going to be Ryan who puts an end to 3XK. They seemed to show him worrying quite a bit about everything & he still has a death hanging over his head.

39. Mallory says:

While it was pretty dumb to go off by herself, she at least explained why she did it. She thought she was going to meet a victim and didn’t want to scare her off. It was reasonable, but she still should’ve maybe had Castle or someone go with her and just hang back…

40. JLynnXF says:

This Episode was amazing.. i was screaming NOOOOOO at my tv screen!!! OMG.. #SaveBeckett!

41. The tooth says:

I think the tooth is actually Tyson’s. In the episode they say they compared it to a bottle that he was drinking in the apt…. Where is the proof that he was drinking from that bottle? When they busted in the door, he was fleeing, not drinking. I think the DNA would match if they got it from the actual source. Cause he is For Sure Jerry Tyson

42. Rich Abey says:

Oh no they did not!! Are 3XK & Nieman one of the best psycho-serial-killing duo’s of TV? Possibly. Are they a cute couple?..the way they walked to elevators, hand in hand was oddly cute & creepy in equal measure. My only issue was Kate deciding to pick up Amy alone..which indeed gave away Kate’s kidnapping in advance. All in all 3XK’s return was awesome & gripping and cut of a similar vein to his very first appearance in the episode ‘3XK’ with the twists, turns & shocking revelations.
    – I wasn’t really sure, even after Rick’s realization about 3XK’s mom down in the holding cells, but that intense scene in the interrogation room, the hand holding with Nieman & that sly wink at Castle surely left us in no doubt that Boudreau is definitely Tyson.
    – That fake baby tooth was definitely planted, even though it was some time ago not that 3XK expected Rick to crack open his true motivations, because 3XK is always thorough and doesn’t leave any stone unturned.
    – I loved those flashbacks. It is refreshing to see my favorite show utilizing them seamlessly, particularly after the extremely annoying flashbacks ‘Grimm’ keeps hurling at us.

43. Jeanne Marie Wallace says:

Yes did a great fantastic job of flash backs keep it up!