Happy Endings Writers Tease 'New Day' Ahead — But What Does It Mean?

It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, it’s a new life… and we’re feeling very curious.

Almost two years after the beloved ABC comedy Happy Endings was cancelled, the Twitter handle @happywrites — which was run by the show’s scribes — published a rather intriguing tweet on Friday.

The link in the tweet brings readers to a white screen that states, “It’s almost a new day,” with a countdown clock currently showing 52 days, 11 hours and some-odd minutes.

The only question is: What could the tweet be trying to tell us?

Though the message has prompted many user replies hoping for a revival of the show, that seems unlikely, given some of the cast member’s current gigs: Elisha Cuthbert is set to star in NBC’s One Big Happy, Zachary Knighton is keeping busy with Fox’s upcoming Weird Loners and Casey Wilson currently appears in the Peacock comedy Marry Me (though its future is up in the air).

That said, of the show’s remaining key players, Adam Pally just left The Mindy Project, Eliza Coupe’s Benched was cancelled last month and Damon Wayans Jr. announced he’ll exit New Girl at the end of Season 4 (though he is being courted heavily during pilot season).

Do you have any theories on what the mystery tweet means? Drop ’em in the comments section below.

1. Wordsmith says:

Intriguing.
    Conspiracy theorists: Go!

2. Matt says:

Am I right that the countdown clock seems to count down to April 1?

• 'A' Has Spoken says:

Definitely not. It says 52 days right now, and when we get to April 1st, 22 days would have gone by. Meaning, we would still have 30 days. It’s counting to May 1st, I believe.

• 'A' Has Spoken says:

Ignore my comment lol. When counting the days, I totally forgot we were in February! I apologize!

• Kimm says:

You’re right. If you hover over the countdown, it reads “on Wed April 01 2015 02:59:00 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)”.

3. Kelly says:

Hmmmm. That’s April 1st…. Just a cruel April Fools joke?

• Me says:

That might be it. Hopefully it at least has a fun video with the characters doing something funny.

• DL says:

Yeah, I could totally see them having an awesome April Fools webisode. Heck, I’d love if they could keep the series alive on the web with shorts only revolving around a couple of the characters each episode so they could accommodate schedules.

4. Brandon says:

OMG. This is, well, amahzing.

We know Marry Me and One Big Happy will probably be canceled, so maybe it’s true?

• Zach says:

Marry Me is struggling in the ratings and isn’t exactly the best show ever, so yeah…

OBH may or may not be cancelled, but the previews looked decent and NBC seems to want to make it work (like they did with Undateable last year). Seems ridiculous to root for something to be cancelled BEFORE it airs.

Lastly, I think Damon Wayans Jr. would much rather be the STAR of Rush Hour than part of the Happy Endings ensemble.

• Brandon says:

I never said I was rooting for it to be canceled, I’m just looking at how sitcoms on NBC aren’t doing great right now. It could be a situation like Arrested Development, where the stars are still able to do other projects despite its revival.

5. The guy that runs the twitter is notorious for April Fools jokes. When he ran the Psych writer’s twitter he turned it into the Mentalist Writers Room, and 2 years ago he turned HappyWrites into BaysideWrites for Saved By the Bell. The countdown leads to April 1, so take that info and do with it what you will.

6. evababy says:

Two seasons and a tv movie?

7. Steven says:

This better not be a joke. Sony always goes above and beyond to get their shows to syndication. I’m hoping Netflix or Logo have decided to pick up a shortened 4th season.

8. Anon says:

They are following netflix, yahoo screen, and Amazon. Is that a clue?

9. M80 says:

52 days from today is the premiere of Weird Loners. Maybe that has something to do with it.

10. justpassingby says:

Could Netflix be releasing the first 3 seasons in April?
    Given what everyone else is saying above, it may just be an April’s Fool prank but I hope not.

11. schu says:

Haha, love this! Highly doubtful of a revival, but just appreciate the show still has it’s forever fans and whatever they’re gonna throw out to us on April 1st, we’d all be fools not to excited about it!

12. Please, please, please let them be bringing back this show…

13. Merk says:

I have my doubts. When would they film it? Damon and Adam are probably in high-demand for new fall shows now that they’re free agents. And Casey is due to give birth sometime in the spring I believe. The only way I can see anything happening is if it’s some kind of mini-season for Netflix filmed maybe over the summer.

But even then, how would that work? If some of the cast is contractually tied to new shows, would they be allowed to do something like this even if it was for a streaming site?

• I think you can do more than one thing if you’re not doing technically the same kind of thing. Like… Yvonne Strahovski is going to star in Astronaut Wives Club for ABC this year. She’s a series regular and a lead character. But she also plays Kate Morgan on 24. When Fox announces a Day 10 of 24, Yvonne Strahovski can be part of the cast because 24 is no longer a series, it’s a “limited event series” (effectively a miniseries.) If a network were to revive Happy Endings the way Fox did 24, all of the actors from Happy Endings could probably do multiple projects. So even if One Big Happy takes off, Elisha Cuthbert could still return as Alex because she’s not starring in another series, she’s starring in a miniseries. (And, hey, for what it’s worth, she can be Kim Bauer again while she’s at it. :))

• re: Damon leaving New Girl… maybe he left because they’re reviving Happy Endings and he’d rather do that. That could also have been why they wrote Adam Pally off of The Mindy Project because, uh, really… why would you write Adam Pally off of anything? Seriously!

14. Juan says:

I would die if this show came back. One of the funniest shows ever. I got my friend to watch it too and she loved it and bought me the first 2 seasons. This would be the best news ever if it came back even for a shortened 5th season.

15. ... says:

The third season of Happy Endings was horrendous – shrill, smug, thought it was much smarter than what it actually was. No, thanks at the prospect of a reunion/revival.

16. Eli says:

It’d be AH-MUH-ZING!!!!

17. Joey says:

It’s an April Fools joke. Nothing more.

18. A says:

I miss Jane and Brad so much. Can we just have a spin off with them if that’s all we can get?

• Melodi says:

Omg when I watch new girl there is no coach on Brad and I watched benched and again no Nina on Jane …. Best tv couple!!!!!

19. Dennis says:

Omg I hope this is true, television has NOT been the same since this show ended. Please oh please let be this true!

20. Matty says:

Maybe they are producing a limited-run mini-series? or maybe the cast is reuniting for some sort of special project?

21. cjeffery7 says:

if its not an april fools joke its probably a netflix release or something like that.

22. Ben says:

season on Netflix or Amazon would be perfect. I love Marry Me, I try to watch it on time, on Tuesdays so I can give it the viewership for new episodes.

23. Joey Padron says:

Hope it’s a new short video the cast did. Hope it’s good news!

24. Tina says:

BRING IT BACK! it was just too ah-mah-zing! and to the pessimists stop making excuses and take this bit of gossip with a glass half full! HAPPY ENDINGS 2015

25. spartan_Cheer says:

I know this will not end up being what I want it to be but I am willing ot get my hoipes up anyway…..::fingers crossed::

26. David4 says:

It probably means that Netflix picked up the reruns or something.

• Tina says:

nah netflix canada already has it, and why would they make a big deal about reruns when they already play reruns on LOGO

27. Evan says:

I’ll be happy just for a new dance off video with the cast versus Hip Hop Santa.

28. dude says:

It could be a reunion of some sort. TV movie or online continuation ala Community. I mean, they somehow managed to make another season of Arrested Development an most of its cast had other obligations.

29. Josh says:

Looks like all those conspiracy theories might be true…Though Casey Wilson is still doing her Marry Me show

• Harr says:

Lets face it… with its current ratings Marry Me aint going to get a season two. That would also mean David Caspe (Happy Endings/Marry Me creator) is free again too! Just sayin, the universe really wants this to happen it would seem! (cmon Netflix/Yahoo/Hulu/anyone!)

30. Barbara says:

It’s 52 days until April Fools:(

31. Ray says:

Don’t toy with my emotions like that, TV Line. This would be the greatest comeback news ever!

32. Mike says:

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why “Marry Me’ and “Happy Endings” is funny –or even good — for that matter. I hate these people. In “Happy Endings,” they really didn’t treat each other well. No one on either of these two shows talks the way they do in their “shorthand” use of words, the situations aren’t funny, and the people don’t really seem to be connected except because the writers told us so. These are two of the most over-rated shows on TV and David Caspe is the most over-rated “talent.” I woud love to hear why people find these shows entertaining.

• C$ says:

Because we find it funny and we like the cast and characters. If you can’t grasp that people find different types of things funny that’s just a personal problem that no one will be able to help you with.

• Eli says:

Because different people like different things?

Some people like chocolate, others like vanilla. SHOCKING.

If you haven’t understood this by now, you might need to be examined…or your just an ass.

33. Ella says:

I would jump for joy and do a billion cartwheels if this happened. LOVED this show.

34. sherry says:

oh please comeback!! i love this show!