Report: NBC Eyeing Law & Order Revival, With Original Stars

Law & Order Limited Series

NBC is looking to dole out more Law & Order — by bringing back the mothership show as a limited series.

According to our sister site Deadline, the Peacock network is aiming for a 10-episode order, featuring original and previous cast members.

Although the project is not currently in active development, several actors who are closely associated with the franchise — including Chris Noth and Sam Waterston — reportedly have been approached.

VIDEOS Heroes Reborn: Zachary Levi’s Character Unmasked in Teaser Trailer

Law & Order was abruptly canceled in May 2010 after Season 20. Its spinoff SVU was renewed for Season 17 this week.

Are you excited for a possible Law & Order revival? Who would you like to see come back?

1. johnhelvete says:

At least if it happens it will be 10 episodes and not 13, because 13 episodes is almost becoming another “box” like 22 episodes. Seems like a bad idea to me, but if they broke the formula and did one case (5 episodes the police finding the killer, 5 episodes the trial) it might interest me.

• Network says:

Do you even know what you are talking about? It doesn’t sound like it.

• johnhelvete says:

About the 13 episodes? I read the press release for the Baz Luhrmann Netflix show yesterday and he was quoted about how the Netflix “puts no constraint on creative possibilities” but considering how many of their shows have 13 episodes, (House of Cards, OITNB, all of the Marvel shows, the new Kyle Chandler show and yes the new show from Baz himself) I think one can argue that 13 episodes is a constraint because why cant the show be 11 episodes or 9 episodes? Why cant the writers tell the story in season 1 in 12 episodes but do 11 episodes in season 2 if that is the amount of story to tell in season 2? And I dont mean just Netflix.

• GunShy says:

13 episodes may also be a jinx. It seems as if a lot of promising new shows with original 13-episode orders get cancelled before they’re really given a chance. The 10-episode order series seem to fare better lately.

• Dude says:

I like the idea of one case but that’s not really Law & Order. I disagree though that 13 episodes is a “box”. If they can’t tell a quality story in 13 episodes, they can’t tell a quality story.

• johnhelvete says:

Let’s say that 13 episodes for arguments sake is a 400 page novel. The first three books by an author are all 400 pages. Book number 4 after everything is done is 350 pages, does the writer have to go back and add 50 pages solely because all of their other books are 400 pages or are they allowed to tell that story in 350 pages?

2. Heather says:

I would love this. If they can get Rubirosa back, too, I won’t feel so bad if (sigh, when) Forever is cancelled.

• DL says:

Yeah, I’d love to see Linus Roache back as well, both under Waterston’s McCoy as District Attorney. And since Anthony Anderson’s on blackish, and Jesse L. Martin’s on Flash, I think Noth would pair well with Jeremy Sisto, if they can get him.
      Honestly though, as long as Sam Waterston is in it, I’ll watch, no matter who else they get back. Jack McCoy is easily one of my favorite TV characters of all time.

• Cuddlesmom says:

Agreed. Anything with Sam is gold. Would love to see as many of the regulars in it as common sense would allow. Maybe Sam as D A, Mike & Connie ADA’s, though having former ADA’s as defense counselor and the judge on the case would also be great (gotta bring back Carey Lowell at least as the judge & maybe Ben Stone decided to join Robinette law firm, which means both could be at the defense table. They could slip Angie Harmon back in very easily if the case involved the Feds. The Order side might be tougher…so many great detectives. How do you chose between Anita & Don (I know, Don retired but still would be great to include him)? Chis Noth as a must have but his partner?? SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many great choices. Gosh, this could be really great. Just too bad NBC didn’t get their act together on 2010 or even better, too bad they cancelled the show in the first place!

• Cheyenne says:

Bring back Waterston, Merkerson, Noth and maybe Benjamin Bratt, although I don’t know if Curtis and Logan would work well together. Alas, they can’t resurrect Jerry Orbach. As for the lawyers, I could go with Cutter and Rubirosa. My first choice would have been Claire but they killed her off, Carey Lowell is a one-note actress, and Harmon was just plain godawful. I really liked that interim DA Lewin. She was only on for two seasons but she was sharp, straight-shooter and didn’t take sh*t from anybody.

• herman1959 says:

Since it’s only 10 episodes, every former star wouldn’t have to be in every episode. Any of the actors mentioned above could do a one-off guest appearance on their own terms and schedule.

• HAP says:

One certainty is that Jerry Orbach won’t be back.

3. Cory says:

Oh wow are you kidding me? It’s barely been off the air, and they want a revival? And what’s the point when there’s no overall story? Why bring it back for 10 episodes when it will just be cases that are iterations of ones it’s probably done before? Just seems weird to me.

4. Steven says:

NBC sure is desperate.

• Ed says:

or the Broadway actors really need work…when L&O started dropping, the aspiring Broadway actors were losing opportunities for extra and walk on roles

• Marc says:

There are plenty of opportunities on all the other shows shot here in New York: Forever, The Mysteries of Laura, Gotham, Blue Bloods, Unforgettable, Madam Secretary, The Good Wife, The Americans. I must be forgetting something. White Collar and Boardwalk Empire used to shoot here. Gracepoint to post-production here. Tax credits at work.

• Matty says:

Between the L&O shows and daytime soaps New York actors lost a lot of opportunity. The New York soaps in particular used to employ many of the Broadway actors.

• joyh2005 says:

Right???
        When watching commercials, I see former L&O character actors and all I’ve got to say is, “They were on L&O!” LOL

5. Drew says:

Just another case of their unimaginative writers ripping things from the headlines. They’re basing this on 24, The X-Files, Twin Peaks or Heroes, aren’t they? :-)

6. Dean says:

Their reviving heroes so this isn’t a surprise. Not sure how it will work since Logan retired.

7. Lynne Powell says:

YES YES YES!!!!!

8. Josh says:

I wonder if they’ll do one huge case that they all need to work together on. Would be cool if Olivia Benson shows up as well.

9. Mark says:

As long as they bring back A.D.A. Casey Novak in some shape I really don’t mind she is missed in the current show and the way its done…..

10. Jenna says:

I’d be all over this. I’ve been watching some of the old shows on Sundance channel. Back to Ben Stone, Adam Schiff, Lenny Briscoe. Get Chris Noth, Benjamin Bratt, Waterston, S. Epatha Merkerson. Maybe recruit Alex Cabot from SVU. I could comprise a dream cast of all my L&O favs, if NBC is interested. :D

11. Grey says:

Now this I might watch. The original was always my “favorite” out of the bunch even though I was never a die-hard fan of the franchise.

12. Jooshua says:

If they changed the formula, to something like ‘The Wire’.. I would definitely be interested.

13. Soapopera says:

I do have a question why is the big fuzz importance and deal to revive old shows with limited episodes? On what purpose? Based on what they bring these shows back? Cant they leave them the way they are? In the past?? They ran their course end of thing.

• joyh2005 says:

That’s how a pitch to a network is, you get a pilot episode with an “X” amount of follow up episodes “contract”.
      This is the networks sampling stage; the want to taste and see if it will fly.

14. Normandy says:

How about Logan and Stabler?

15. ChicagoDan says:

They should just create a L&O spoke – an have episodes of “L&O,” “CI” & SVU rotate. Create 10 each and they more than fill the timeslot. SVU is unwatchable. The L&O episodes have really held up well in syndication.

16. It would be wonderful to see Briscoe back as well as McCoy and that Linus fella…

17. Bring back Stone (Michael Moriarty).

18. Davey says:

Alana de Garza is busy right now but her show may be cancelled. Wasn’t Jill Hennesey murdered on Law and Order? What a shame. Linus Roache would be great to see again. I don’t watch SVU so I’d be happy to see this. Would Criminal Intent cast work, too?

• H says:

Hennessey’s character died in a car accident, Annie Parisse’s was murdered.

• PeteRepete says:

They should bring Jill Hennessy back for a cameo as Claire Kincaid’s twin sister or something. She’s got a twin sister IRL so it would be like an inside joke too.

Because Jill Hennessy. Rawr.

19. ABC says:

They need to get better writers. In the series’ final six season or so, there was way too much order (police) and way too little law (legal issues).

20. Leon says:

YEs YEs Yes Yes yes!!!! Chris Noth and Sam waterson on board!!!!! Sign me the hell up!!!! Hopefully they Get rene Balcer back cause when she was running the show they couldn’t miss. Also DO NOT LET THAT SPEED WEED OR HIS BROTHER NEAR THESE!!!!!!!They Ruined the shows!!!!

21. Zenobia Jackson says:

The networks are desperate. The old ways of producing shows don’t work any more because viewers has so many options beyond watching network series. They should be thinking outside the box instead of wallowing inside the box.

22. KCC says:

NBC execs messed up when they cancelled L&O abruptly in Season 20. L&O had the opportunity to beat Gunsmoke as the longest running show on tv and the execs pulled it with one season to go. They should have given it a farewell season with lots of cameos and returning guests. I hope that this limited run series, they do right by the show and the fans.

23. Sharon says:

Yes And Yes. Get Chris Noth

24. Loved the late Jerry Orbach “Lennie” but I’d love to see Jesse Martin come back to the show again.

25. Debbie says:

Yes I would. I was upset when it was cancelled.

26. Matty says:

They’d best get S.Epatha Merkerson on board ASAP!

• Louis E. says:

She was retiring when the show went off the air,and McCoy is no longer D.A. in the L&O universe so there’d be a lot of “out of retirement” characters if they tried to put everyone back where they were in the revival.

27. Rochelle says:

a L&O return would be fantastic!!!! Chris Noth, Benjamin Bratt, Sam Waterston, bring any and all originals.

28. Law & Order will finally break it’s tie with Gunsmoke in Season Count.

29. David4 says:

It should have never been canceled in the first place.

30. Sheila says:

Ah, “Law & Order: Beat That Dead Horse”

31. Jared says:

I would love this!

32. Ray says:

Sure, that’s what NBC needs. More Law & Order and Chicago franchises. Pfft

33. Susan Rollins says:

LINUS ROACHE as Mike Cutter, otherwise, forget it.

34. Susan Rollins says:

No Alana de la Garza…. Thought her as the weakest link in the show.

35. Libby says:

I don’t care how many episodes they end up doing. I am excited about the possibility of seeing some of the old characters in new story lines. Lennie Briscoe will be missed, but it will be good to have Mike Logan, Jack McCoy and hopefully Lt. VanBuren back.

36. Mary Ann says:

I would watch this no matter who they managed to get back to do it. Not sure Goren and Eames from Criminal Intent would fit with the format of the mothership, but I also miss them.

37. Ricky Lee Jones says:

Chris Noth, Sam Waterston, Dann Florek and and S Epetha Merkerson make up the core four that I would love to see back!

38. Annie says:

Yes, yes,yes I would watch it!!!! If they could somehow bring back Criminal Intent with Goren and Eames to visit, i would be a very happy camper!

39. maggie says:

One of the biggest mistakes NBC ever made was when they cancelled Law & Order. It was still getting good ratings, and was close to hitting a record for longest-running TV drama.

• David4 says:

Yes. Really dumb move. It was because NBC didn’t want it over shadowing LA.

almost glad it did end when it did because it ended on top. Loved the last few seasons.

40. Jules says:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, HELL YES!!!! Need Benjamin Bratt and Jesse Martin back too.

41. Imzadi says:

He was a cop (Detective Nick Falco) for 6 episodes–5 as Dennis Farina’s partner while Jesse L. Martin was filming Rent and 1 when he was framed for murder & the cops found the real killer. I’d love to see Michael Imperioli, who is either a cop or a bad guy in everything he does, come back.

42. Dia says:

Fantastic idea! Please bring back Waterston, Noth, Harmon, Martin and Sisto. And add Belzer as a bonus for fans of Detective Munch!

43. colig says:

you do know sam waterson was not in the original cast.michael moriarty was the ADA in the first few seasons.

44. kirads09 says:

I will take it. Sam, Chris Noth, Benjamin Bratt, S. Epatha Merkerson , Jill Hennessy, Jesse Martin – would love to see them all. The only sad thing is no Jerry Orbach. Miss my Briscoe.

45. kirads09 says:

ooooh – any chance for a Goren and Eames reunion in this?

46. Loved them all hope they bring back Linus Roache aka Mike Cutter!

47. Saabgirlatx says:

48. James LaVelle says:

Yep, I am in! For those who are complaining that the formula is growing stale, Ii see their point. But for me, their taking cues form real life events gives it a fresh approach.

49. Glen Williams says: