Pilots: The CW Orders Tales From the Darkside, Outbreak Drama, Ghost Story

The CW Logo

Darkness, disease and the disembodied may be headed to The CW for the 2015-16 TV season.

The network finally kicked off its development season on Monday evening. It ordered one-hour pilots for a reboot of the 1980s syndicated horror/fantasy/thriller anthology Tales From the Darkside, an outbreak drama from Julie Plec (The Originals, The Vampire Diaries) and a story about a cabbie who sees dead people (but still charges them full fare).

The original Tales From the Darkside, which ran from 1983-88, was created by horror-meister George A. Romero (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead), and its 2015 reimagining will have bold-faced credentials, too. The project comes from writer/executive producer Joe Hill (who wrote the novel Horns, which became a movie starring Daniel Radcliffe), while additional EPs include Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Heather Kadin (who’ve teamed up on Sleepy Hollow and Scorpion).

The second project, titled Cordon, will be written and exec-produced by Plec, with director David Nutter (Arrow, The Flash) also serving as EP. The logline is as follows: “When a deadly epidemic breaks out in Atlanta, a large city quarantine is quickly enforced, leaving those stuck on the inside to fight for their lives. Based upon the original Belgian series, Cordon tells the story of loved ones tragically torn apart, and how the society that grows inside the cordon reveals both the devolution of humanity and the birth of unlikely heroes.”

Lastly, there’s Dead People, from writer Tom Kapinos (Dawson’s Creek). After a near-death experience, a down-on-his-luck, semi-alcoholic but charming cab driver suddenly has the ability to interact with ghosts — including the dead ex-wife he has never gotten over.

Stoked about one or both of these potential series? Sound off in the comments!

1. theschnauzers says:

Well, we know Atlanta has been friendly towards filming post-apocalyptic TV series, so one about the start of an apocalyptic epidemic set there shouldn’t be a problem. :)

2. Boiler says:

Guess we know what CW wants for Genre and it doesn’t include the folks with the money. Hopefully summer will have some decent stuff

3. Nara says:

Don’t give this woman another show!

• Ember says:

I had the SAME reaction as you. The article headline I read mislead me and for a sec I thought they were saying SHE was behind Tales from the dark side, which I actually want to see. Thank goodness she’s not behind that one.

• It's Me says:

Exactly!

4. Scotty2Hotty says:

Cordon sounds too much like The 100/Under the Doom mash up.

• Dude says:

No it doesn’t.

• Scotty2Hotty says:

Switch out epidemic..and put “stuck under a dome” or “back on a deadly earth”…and you got the same type of show.

• Mieke says:

Might sound the same but it so far from it! I watched the original Cordon and I also watched under the dome and the 100 and they couldn’t be further apart.It’s very different when an alien dome is over your head then someone you know keeping you in a hell hole. If you’ll watch it, and it’s made right , you’ll see the difference.

• Dave says:

It’s only three shows too and The CW doesn’t not have a lot of room on their schedule to fit ll these so. They could be midseason or summer shows or the cw might expand to the 10pm hour too

• M says:

I feel like you haven’t actually watched under the dome….

“An invisible and mysterious force field descends upon a small fictional town in the United States, trapping residents inside, cut off from the rest of civilization. The trapped townsfolk must discover the secrets and purpose of the “dome” and its origins, while coming to learn more than they ever knew about each other.”

5. Dude says:

They better not white-wash their version of Atlanta.

• Dennis D. says:

yeah I hate how they Black washed the originals, See same comment, same racist undertone but mine seems so much worst. so I will fix it for you
      ” I hope they have a more diverse cast that reflects Atlanta’s diversity”

• James says:

The Originals is set in New Orleans and there’s as much black characters as there non-blacks, both leading and supporting. And we also have an Asian in the cast as a leading character.

• Dude says:

It’s not racist to want entertainment to reflect reality. It’d be ridiculous to set a show in Compton and have an all-white cast. There are enough white people on television, it’s not racist to want more diversity.

6. Cort says:

This is pretty cool. I loved staying up to watch Tales From the Darkside when I was younger. Actually preferred TFTD over Twilight Zone.

7. I think both will be picked-up and two more (for mid-season – one after shorter season of The 100 ends and other if anything fails or replaces Reign which gets paired wit BatB for summer) and the schedule will be sth like that. M: Tales from Darkside/Supernatural, T: The Flash/Cordon, W: Arrow/The 100, T: TVD/TO, F: Jane/Reign

8. Jaks says:

Sounds terrible.

I remember I used to get excited when they announced their pilots. Now they are all ‘been there, done that’ shows.

Blah.

9. starfire2014 says:

Really excited about Tales… It was a good show originally and I would think with today’s tech, this should be great.

10. MDS says:

So one remake and a reboot. Originality is running high these days!!

11. Kat says:

I feel like the CW wants Julie Plec to be their Shonda Rhimes. She’s just…really, really not.

12. None of the three sound very interesting. The only one that has potential would be Takes from the Darkside, but I’m not a fan of anthology series.

13. leahbh says:

No thanks to all of them. I’ll stick with The Flash, Arrow and The 100

• Roguesfanboy says:

yea these pilots don’t seem that great, hopefully they order other pilots that intrigue me more.

• Ally Oop says:

Exactly my sentiments. Last year I was disappointed in CW’s picks for new shows and this year same thing. Until last year, CW always had the best-sounding pilots. Hopefully there’s something else they’ll order to pilot this year.

14. Andi says:

Good to know JP will be behind this show; because I give up on TVD because of JP’s writing…now am only down to two shows now the CW soon to be just 1 thanks to the shenanigans on The Flash lol

• Anna says:

LOL right? I’m kinda surprised the led with the whole Julie Plec executive producing and writing thing, because at this point that’s more of a turnoff for a CW show than anything.

15. Josh says:

Are teen dramas a thing of the past now? Do they all have to have a supernatural element? I miss shows like One Tree Hill and Dawson’s Creek. What happened to shows like that?

• Aha says:

ABC Family stole the Teen Drama Crown with Secret Life.

• johnhelvete says:

If you are looking for quality WB type teen dramas try ABC Family (Switched at Birth, The Fosters) and hopefully the upcoming Recovery Road. Finding Carter on MTV is also very good.

• nancy daly says:

what about dexter and the newsroom & six feet under….oh the list can go on – at least there is bitten, banshee, shameless, the affair, 19-2 etc – gotta love t.v. and on-demand

16. Amanda says:

I will give them all a chance. It usually only takes one or two episodes to know if I will continue. I love the new 12 Monkey’s, but that’s about it out of the new shows. I quit Agent Carter after 2, and Backstrom(sp?), lasted 1/2 an episode.

• Ally Oop says:

I’m still watching Agent Carter but I wouldn’t miss it if it was cancelled tomorrow. I watched 12 Monkeys last week and decided to drop it–it’s good but I watch too much tv as it is and I wasn’t attached enough after 3 episodes.

17. Ray says:

Dead People sounds very uninspired. The rest are have been done before as well, but hopefully the CW will order some more promising pilots soon.

18. Ram510 says:

All of those sound terrible and just alike. Tales from the Darkside is the only one that almost mildly amuse me

19. Zach says:

Dead People sounds cool.

20. Dawn says:

Cool, Tales from Dark Side, isn’t that Tales From the Crypt???? Right?? That was a GREAT SHOW!

21. Jen says:

No no and no, Julie Plec’s writing is complete trash don’t give her anymore shows she can’t even manage the two she has now!!!

22. alistaircrane says:

I’m all in for Tales From The Darkside!

23. Jay says:

So the CW’s finally given up on high school melodramas?

24. AnnieM says:

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned yet that Joe Hill is Stephen King’s son. Really looking forward to this Dark side reboot!

25. Ally Oop says:

Cordon has a small bit of potential, the other two not my thing. I currently watch 7 out of 9 current CW dramas so I am a fan of the CW, but I was hoping for better pilot premises from them.

26. Letti says:

Cordon sounds completely Under the dome. And I really don’t want to watch any other show from Julie Plec. Neither the others interest me. I guess I’ll stick with the current shows.

27. Bill Batcheller says:

Dead People. Couldn’t come up with something a bit more original. Which kind of makes me question the quality of its production.

28. CountryQueen says:

Joe Hill is Stephen Kings kid. He writes amazingly well, I think, dare I say, even better than dad?! Great stuff. Very scary. This could be good!

29. NoOneOfSignificance says:

I’ve just watched the Belgian series Cordon s01, and what’s written here about what’s it about is partially flawed. For example, the loved ones apart is such a small part of the story that it shouldn’t be named first. I would recommend watching the original series with subtitles, as well as the remake. Have fun watching (both)!
    (p.s. I know there are some technical mistakes in the way microbiology is portrayed, so I would recommend hiring a specialist on this subject for the remake, someone with a bachelor of science in biology specialised in microbiology. Just an opinion. Please don’t “soap” it down too much)

30. tsevca says:

Tales look so much better. It´s like all networks this season pciked the bad pilots and killed all the good ones. Mostly.