Chicago Fire/P.D. Boss Talks Arsonist Crossover, Romantic Futures of Casey/Dawson & Lindsay/Halstead

Chicago Fire/PD Crossover Spoilers

Perhaps Chicago Relationship Counseling should be the next spinoff.

This Tuesday, Chicago Fire (NBC, 10/9c) kicks off a crossover arc with Chicago P.D. (Wednesday at 10/9c) to capture the arsonist who killed Shay.

But it’s the two shows’ central couples who are igniting all the drama as Fire‘s Casey and Dawson attempt to move on from each other with new people, to varying degrees of success, executive producer Matt Olmstead previews below.

Meanwhile, Lindsay and Halstead’s new romance on P.D. threatens to burn hot and quick with her return to Intelligence, the EP reveals.

TVLINE | How is the arsonist (guest star Robert Knepper, Prison Break) going to affect both teams, especially in light of Dawson being the target on whom he sets his sights?
This was a murder. This wasn’t just an accidental fire that was set. It becomes about narrowing down who set it. Arson is difficult to prove, so it’s not a slam dunk thing of getting fingerprints and a confession. There’s some finesse involved and patience and risk in trying to get the suspect in the act or putting him in a place of discomfort where he might act out. It’s a roll of the dice. On Fire, [it’s about] the awareness this might happen and the identification of the suspect, and then the hand-off to P.D.: How are they going to actually arrest this guy when he’s proven to be fairly wily?

TVLINE | Does the fact that he’s coming after Dawson make her and Casey take stock of their relationship again?
Yeah. There’s obvious concern, which is in the DNA at this point. But they’ve been through enough and are wary enough that it doesn’t all of a sudden swing the pendulum all the way back toward a relationship, because then they’re going whichever way the wind is blowing that day. So it definitely affects him seeing her in danger, but they’re at a place right now that’s fairly firm in terms of where they’re at and cooling it off.

TVLINE | So the split is sticking for a while?
For a while, yeah.

Chicago Fire Season 3 SpoilersTVLINE | What’s the biggest issue for them? What do they need to get over to get back together?
To get back together, we’ll see. The biggest issue in the near future is, how do you move forward and potentially date other people when you work side-by-side? In fact, your ex-boyfriend is your boss. It’s relatable. A lot of people have done that. You can have the best intentions, you can say all the right things, you can intend to do this and that, but then it’s difficult. Finding out the person might have slept with someone or is dating someone else can be brutal. There’s this great scene coming up where Sylvie Brett is almost dragging Dawson to go out, and there’s this great conflict in that’s she’s like, “Well, we’ll do a double date, and I’ll bring Cruz,” and Cruz is like, “I can’t go on a double date. This is my boss’ ex-girlfriend.” “Well, then I’ll bring Otis. I don’t care. I’m going out with this girl. She needs to go out.” So it’s a really nice moment [showing how] your friends come in and take you out and distract you or counsel you, but it’s not easy despite what you articulate and anticipate. It’s really hard to work with someone that you used to date and love.

TVLINE | Will there be new love interests coming in for Dawson and Casey?
There will be. Nothing of the magnitude of Casey. It’s bits and starts. As she’s trying to will herself, maybe it comes a little more easily to him, initially. They’re both trying to get out of the block, so to speak, but nothing profound yet.

TVLINE | Dawson has Sylvie looking out for her. Is Severide taking Casey under his wing in light of this breakup?
He is. I saw a cut of the 14th episode, which really lays bare the other side of the breakup — there’s hurt, there’s avoiding and then there are these moments where you’re drawn together because of this case. Firehouses are safe havens for people to drop off babies. A baby is dropped off and Dawson really takes over holding on to this kid until the right mother is located. You see Casey watching her with the kid, there’s interaction, and it’s undeniably tender. But then, Severide clocks it and he advises Casey like, “You may need to get out there,” and Casey admits, “I feel like I’m chasing my tail. You’re right.” So Severide is there as a friend.

Chicago P.D. - Season 2TVLINE | Turning to another couple, now that Lindsay’s back at Intelligence, how’s that going to impact her very, very new relationship with Halstead?
I just worked on the episode where the rubber meets the road, so to speak, where they have this little flirtation in the coffee room, this coy, little dance they do. He walks out with a little smile on his face and there’s Voight standing in the doorway looking at him with his arms folded across his chest, and the jig is up. Voight remembers everything and without having to come across like the exasperated dad, he just lets him know, “We’ve had this conversation. There was an exception made for Burgess because she got shot. If one of you guys want to go out there and take a bullet, fine. Until then, it’s not happening.” … It’s not this protracted, Dawson/Casey kind of dance. It burned hot and burned quick because they had no choice. Unless one of them wants to transfer out to Mounted Police, they realize they’ve got to cool it off. So they do. I can’t guarantee if they successfully completely cool it off, but they’ve got to chill.

TVLINE | You’ve mentioned before that you weren’t going to go there with Lindsay and Halstead. What made you decide now was the time? Was it the fact that you decided to split Lindsay and Severide up?
That informed it, for sure, but also just the chemistry between the two actors was apparent. Also, we just wanted to embrace the real-world aspects. You’re both single, you sit across from each other. There’s that heat when he took her to her reunion and all of a sudden now she doesn’t work there anymore. I mean, come on, 99.9% of the American population would act on that. So we did, and then she realizes that the grass is always greener, so she comes back to Intelligence and they’ve got to shut it down. How long? Who knows.

1. Noel says:

I want Casey and Dawson back together!! Please get them back together before the season ends.

2. Grace331 says:

I don’t want them back together! I think Dawson has been super annoying so far this season.

• Josh says:

For real I’m getting sick of Dawson being just awesome at everything! They treat her like a Mary sue

• shea mandalay says:

“Mary Sue” is the term that keeps popping up.

I liked Dawsey in previous seasons, but now I really need a break. A loooong break.

Sadly, there’s no getting a break from Dawson.

• Josh says:

Sadly you’re right the Writers seem to be in love with Dawson. I loved Shay and hated that they killed off the character I actually like Brett more than Dawson she’s more interesting

• Brendan says:

I agree that Dawson is becoming an whiny, annoying character and causes problems for no reason. They need to kill her off.

3. Nancy says:

Yes! Please get Casey and Dawson back together!

4. Dean says:

Hoping by the end of the crossover that arsonist is Chicago necklaced at the bottom of the lake.

5. Diva DIary says:

Casey and Dawson were better as friends. Obviously, they can’t handle both home and work relationships. Plus, I rather see Dawson back with Mills.

6. Steph Lunday says:

what a tease! Linstead needs to work it out. Sooner rather than later. And i loved casey and dawson but honestly its been so back and forth and drawn out that im over it. Plus i think the chemistry between Dawson and Mills was better. It sucks Casey and Dawson are over but really, with the way the writing has been it was never going to last, sadly.

7. Titanicbush says:

Dear TVLine, fanbases of CFD & CPD, there ARE other characters on these shows besides Erin, Halstead, gabby and Casey. Just FYI. I am so sick of everyone being ignored cause of these annoying butt characters (mostly erin and halstead since I don’t watch CFD)

8. Rebekah says:

Severide is SO not good for Casey, giving him dating advice?? Has a different girl every other ep. He’d probably make out with a bed sheet if it had boobs… Casey is why he’s my favorite, he’s actually a standup guy. Do NOT wanna see him become Kelly Jr. Also, what was it ONE fight between Casey & Dawson & it’s ‘that’s it no wedding, move out, breaking up’?? So you have some problems, that’s life & that’s marriage, work it out…

• Nancy says:

I totally agree! The writers act like they were just dating…not engaged!! If they were going to break them up for something this stupid, they shouldn’t have moved them along so quickly in the beginning.

• Hamida says:

Ditto. Severide is not good at giving relationships advice, even Matt joked about it once. I like Casey for that same reason but lately he’s another person. I love Casey & Dawson as friends & I love them as lovers. But now it feels like they are complete strangers. They both made mistakes & could have figured it out.

9. Audra says:

glad dawson and casey are over cause dawson has been self centered! glad they are saying erin and jay are still going I’m sure in secret, and glad they have said linseride is dead in the water cause I hated their relationship! I like Kelly and Casey roommates and working on their friendship neither one having a women back to a good show with the fire aspect.

10. Lauren says:

But, will we be seeing a flashback of Shay before and during that fire?

11. Alex says:

Wasn’t Halstead shot by the mob guy in the original crossover of Fire/PD? If I remember correctly that is how he got into Intelligence in the first place.

12. Ann Powell says:

Casey and Dawson need to get back together and Halstead and Lindsay need to be together ship both Casey needs to go after Dawson and show her that he still loves her we already know Halstead and Lindsay love each other so let them go with it it will work

13. Ann Powell says:

Ruzek and Burgess need to get together they are really good together

• Laura says:

And THIS!! I love all 3 couples you just talked about. Linstead (aka Skinstead), Burzek and (I guess) Cawson or Dasey? LOVE LOVE LOVE!

14. MJ says:

I WANT SHAY BACK DAWSON SHOULDN’T HAVE SWITCHED HER PLACES, I LIVE FOR FIRE & PD but SEVERIDE & SHAY MADE THE SHOW BETTER THAN CASEY & DAWSON!!! WAY TO GO WRITERS!!!!

15. Lani says:

Put Dawson back with Mills!! I loved them together! It felt natural and gradually. Casey and Dawson feel so forced, just because she’s liked him since the first episode does not mean they have to be end game. Hopefully Dawson and Mills will be end game!! Please give them another shot!

16. JLF says:

dawson has been very annoying, she’s self-centered and she does not deserve Casey. Looks like we need a new lady character. Casey needs someone who cares about him and puts him above anything else, just like how he is.

17. Hailey says:

Casey and Dawson belong together. Dawson really loves Casey, it breaks my heart too see Casey “hook up” with anyone other then Dawson. If Casey is going to continue having these “flings” maybe Dawson should get with Mills. That would so spice things up a bit. Mills will always have feelings for her. But that’s only if Casey is going too continue hooking up with girls. But like I said I’m a fan of the two’s relationship. You never knpw whata

18. Hailey says:

Casey and Dawson belong together. Dawson really loves Casey, it breaks my heart too see Casey “hook up” with anyone other then Dawson. If Casey is going to continue having these “flings” maybe Dawson should get with Mills. That would so spice things up a bit. Mills will always have feelings for her. But that’s only if Casey is going too continue hooking up with girls. But like I said I’m a fan of the two’s relationship. You never know what’s gonna happen!!!

19. V. says:

I’m very dissapointed that Lindsay and Halstead have to take a break. They are extrmeley hot in working together along with their chemistry from work. It is a shame the writers pulled back with this. Things were just getting interesting.

20. Zane Brinckman Rush Police Series One Rush Police Series Two Volume Two Rush Police
    Series Two Volum One ???????????????????

21. Honey says:

Okay after tonight’s show about the sleezy sneaky lying conniving chief ix gone and Boden is coming back, thank God. If Casey and Dawson can find their way back to each other that would be great too. Please don’t make us suffer too long before they come back and as for Halstead and Lindsey like she told Voight, you can’t tell me who I can and can’t see on my own time. So the same goes for them. So Voight knows, what can he do. Oh yeah, Halstead can take a bullet for Lindsey, which he would do in a heartbeat so make that happen too. Hank could give a little, if he was going to give on Ruzek and Burgess, he can get over all of it, he won’t lose her and he gains a sorta son. That can work too. Just food for thought. Thanks for listening.

22. jen says:

Really want Dawson an Casey back together please bring them back

23. Tracia Liang says:

I Love Dawsey and Linseride equally and want them togetha 4ever (as juvenile as that spelling was) but I realize also that they both have a lot to work through. Just as Wayne and Grace (partners on Mentalist) burned hot and heavy, broke up, and finally found each other again; I believe Dawsey and Linseride will find each other again at some point down the road.

24. Dale says:

Simply put Casey and Dawson belong together, they understand one another and dragging it on only makes it more obvious so just get them together already!