Post Mortems

Post Mortem: Shameless Boss Talks Fiona and Gus' Future, Ian's Breakdown

Shameless Season 5 Fiona Marries Gus

Warning: The following contains spoilers for Sunday’s episode of Shameless.

Bells were ringing on Sunday night’s episode of Shameless as Fiona and Gus impulsively decided to get hitched after only a week of dating.

The honeymoon period, however, will be cut short when they have to figure out how to tell her family the big news — and an unexpected, but familiar visitor shows up to complicate things for the stranger-like newlyweds, executive producer Nancy Pimental previews below.

Meanwhile, Ian and Mickey are facing a difficult road following his breakdown in this week’s episode, the EP reveals.

TVLINE | Was there any debate about whether or not Fiona would go through with marrying Gus?
We always wanted her to get married. If you take away her trying to keep her family together and her trying to keep afloat living in a lower-middle class environment, we do always want to explore, “What is a 24-year-old girl doing?” She has so much burden on her and so much responsibility. So we try and explore, “What if we lift that for a second?” I remember it was the second season – obviously, she was even younger then – and I was like, “You guys remember 21? I was out partying, and I was dating a bunch of guys.” That’s the season we had her working in a nightclub and testing the waters with a bunch of guys. That’s what girls are doing at that age. So we always want to make sure she doesn’t get weighed down by being a mom in some ways. And one of the things you do at that age is you’re still exploring what love is – Is this real love? Is this not real love? – and you have this crazy chemistry with somebody for a bit and you think, “Oh, my God, this is it.” Then you wake up and you’re like, “What the f–k? Who’s this? Oh, that was just endorphins or serotonin or oxytocin.” You don’t get that until you’ve experienced it.

TVLINE | How much of this is her actually falling for him versus the idea of him?
I think it’s a combination. There are so many levels to it. She definitely is high on the love drug of their chemistry and him being such a great guy. He’s so tapped into his art and his music. He’s just a good guy and she’s never really been with a good guy. It’s been a little bit of a rebound effect from Davis and from Sean, and it’s multi-layered. But she wants to believe in it and believe that she is changing her ways and she’s not going for bad boys anymore. This guy looks so good on paper. So she’s selling herself the bill of goods, too, and she believes it for the time being.

TVLINE | She’s never really had a stable environment growing up, so this feels like a chance to have that. But at the same time, she’s doing it in such a quick, impulsive way that it seems doomed to fail.
Yes, of course. But you don’t want to see that. You want to be the one that’s like, “I’m gonna do it different, and I’m breaking the mold. You’ll see, this is real love, and we’re totally meant to be.” We all want to be the one that doesn’t fall into the patterns.

TVLINE | There’s a great scene where she’s on the phone with Debbie and she realizes she doesn’t even know how to explain the news. What happens when reality sets in for Fiona and Gus?
First of all, there’s the reality of what happens with the two of them, but then outside influences come into her life, as well. She is starting this with Gus, alone, as if there were no outside influences, starting to go, “Oh my god, I don’t even know this guy. We never thought that far ahead about where we’re going to live and what we’re going to do, and am I changing my name?” and all of that stuff. [She is] realizing, “I still have my family I have to take care of, and we never even talked about this.” Then you compound that with some other people [who] are going to show up and mess up her head again.

TVLINE | Gus hasn’t had much interaction with the family thus far. Can you talk about what sort of dynamic we might see there?
She hasn’t even told the family that she’s getting married, so it’s awkward. She tells them, “OK, we’re going to have a family meeting later today, and I’m going to tell you guys something,” and they’re like, “What? Who are you? And what do you mean you need a family meeting to tell us something? What do you have to tell us?” She’s so awkward and weird and nervous about it, so she really isn’t like her true self… She’s not acting like a Gallagher.

Shameless Season 5 Jimmy ReturnsTVLINE | What does Jimmy’s return mean for Fiona’s marriage?
What it does is it shakes up her marriage, but she comes to realize that, in some ways, it’s two separate things. Yes, Jimmy disrupted her marriage, but she also knows she’s a different person now and being with Jimmy is the old Fiona. It also makes her realize that just because she disrupts her marriage, she also did make this commitment to be married and she hasn’t gotten to know Gus and she does want to do things differently.

TVLINE | Ian reached a breaking point in this episode. What’s ahead for him and Mickey? Are they going to be able to deal with Shameless Season 5 Spoilersthis, or is it going to get worse?
It definitely is going to get worse, but Mickey loves him and Mickey wants to try everything. Mickey’s dragged through the mud with all of this, and he really has to confront that Ian does have this problem. So he really tries to be there for Ian. He’s kind of like his nurse, but then Ian gets annoyed and is like, “What the f–k? You’re really being a p—y, walking around so delicately around me. I don’t want you to be like that. I want you to be the old Mickey, telling me to shut up and snap out of it and whatever.” So it definitely gets in the way, and they’re going through it. It gets rocky, but Mickey’s there. He’s not going away.

Shameless fans, what did you think of Fiona’s quickie marriage? Are you hoping she and Gus can make it last? Sound off below!

1. tracy says:

ian and mickey are breaking my heart! i just want them to be okay, they’ve had such a hard time over the years.

2. Steven says:

This show is so underrated. I wish it got the award recognition it deserves.

3. wrstlgirl says:

The episode hasn’t even aired here yet but I already know Ian has a breakdown. A little TMI in the headline, LOL!!!

4. aisha says:

Is mickey the only one who will be taken care of ian? WTF

5. Saabgirlatx says:

Why is no one recapping this show??? TVLine pleaaaasssse!!!

6. essie20 says:

I feel like my break from Shameless brought me back to Twilight Zone. All I ever read is Ian, Ian, Ian…Mickey, Mickey, Ian, Ian…sigh.

My favs are Lip and Fiona, and Steve but I don’t like where any of their stories are heading.

7. The availability of 3D printing services is growing across the
    globe. However, if the temperature is below 20 Degree F, simply skip the idea of placing concrete because it will
    lead you nowhere as hydration stops completely at such
    temperatures. The primary objective of this alliance is to overcome the
    ink-jet printing technology, inkjet printing technology first used in flexible character and
    the solder on the board.

8. Veronica Jones says:

I hope Fiona and Gus make it, even though they made an impulsive decision. He seems like a good guy and Fiona really deserves that.

9. rachelle says:

Oh. My. God. I love Gus! I’ve loved him since he came on screen. He’s so freaking cute and sweet and he’s just a good guy like the article says. Everything with him and Fiona in this episode seemed so real and genuine that when he suggested they get married, I automatically said yes! I really, really, really want them to work. Their story is so adorable. But in typical Shameless fashion, I feel like everything is going to go to hell and that makes me super sad! Can we break the mold and have them actually work out? I would love that.

I really liked the moments with Lip bonding with his “girlfriend’s” father. They have a lot in common and Lip needs more people like that in his life that can foster his interests and help him succeed in what he wants to do.

Lastly, Ian is freaking me out. Jesus, Mickey! Stop using kiddy gloves with Ian and knock some sense into him Mickey-style! I can’t wait for this confrontation. Ian has lost it. Mickey’s house looks like a freaking episode of Hoarders: Buried Alive.

10. Dianne Dicerbo says:

Yes, he’s a great guy & a great addition to the cast! I think the marriage should work out… Jimmy is old news, Fiona needs a new, nice guy!

11. ruthie says:

I’m afraid Gus isn’t as good as he seems. I’m suspecting that he wanted to get married for some sort of legal reasons:something like Jimmy’s wife. Jimmy had some issies but he really fit in well with the family for a while. It’s gonna be a challenge for Gus. Carl is a delinquent and Debbie is a handful. I love this show!

• Nadia says:

Gus already mentioned that his parents were living in New Orleans (where he brought the gumbo). We know his parents have been married 30 something years (Jimmy mentioned that Gus was 35) and they were still together. Plus they are musicians who have traveled the world (the instrument he mentions that his Mom brought from China). So far we know he is a diabetic, loves to cook, is a musician who lives for his music, seems to be attentive (he remembers the family names and relations) and is pretty accepting of things (her nutty family life, wanting to talk with Jimmy after Fiona tells him about her dalliance). My question is why has this guy never connected with anyone? Maybe all these great qualities have made him a doormat to any women he has been involved with. So let’s see if Fiona can change her tune and maintain a relationahop that is drama free and can actually make her happy.

12. MJ says:

I also hope Gus and her can make this work. I wish they would live Jimmy/Steve under whatever rock he is under right now. I do not miss him at all.

13. Kristine says:

I thought Fiona marrying Gus was a little bit out of character, but I realise she is changing and she is trying to do better. And I think this was sort of her taking a chance on love, taking a chance of happiness. But I do think she knows deep down this is not going to work.

Mickey and Ian are seriously one of the best things about Shameless. Their relationship, their chemistry, their story… Just, everything. I hope they will be okay in the end and, Ian, needs needs needs to be okay. He needs help and I hope he gets better by the end of season 6. I don’t think I, or anyone else for that matter, can handle him being this broken. He is just not okay right now, and I think it’s time for Ian to get some happiness. Because you know, he never really had that. The happiest we’ve seen him is probably season 1. Ian is also one of the most interesting characters, and an important part of the show. I wish he had more scenes. Cameron Monaghan is perfect for the role, and his ability to capture every emotion, every feeling, so perfectly is just so unique. Cameron Monaghan is such a good actor.

Shameless really needs to tie their ends together, I hope we will see more of the Gallaghers in the Gallagher house again. I want them to bond with eachother, and kind of reconnect, in a way. We have barely seen them together this season. It’s interesting to explore the Gallaghers with other characters, but right now I feel like it’s just that.

I love Shameless and I certainly hope and wish that it would get more recognition!

14. Joey says:

Give me more of literally every character except Steve. He started to grow on me in the beginning of the third season, but that eventually washed away. That character should’ve stayed dead as far as I’m concerned.

15. Dashawn Slaughter says:

Are we gonna see a relationship grow between Ian, Mickey, Yevgeny, and Svetlan? Plus is Debbie and that guy from the gym gonna grow a real relationship than with Matt

16. tya says:

I really hope Fiona n Gus could make it, cause it’s good to have a change of pattern for once. And as for Jimmy, he could just be the guy who waits around the girl cause he already miss his chance

17. Georgia Dominick says:

Who is singing the song at the end of this episode?

18. Jennifer says:

I am so over the whole Fiona & jimmy thing. When she was with Jimmy she was committed to him & he cheated on her a few times with Stefania. Fiona was also always honest with Jimmy when it came to her life. Jimmy lied to her since day one. He even lied about his name in the beginning #Jimmy/Steve. I like Fiona with Gus cause when she sees him her face just lights up. I know she doesn’t really know him, even though they marries after a week, she owes it to herself & to Gus to atleast give their marriage a try. I also hope Fiona tells Gus about Jimmy & whats going on. I know that she really loved Jimmy & some of those feelings might’ve came back when she saw him again, but, I think it’s because she never had closure when it came to jimmy & their relationship. The last thing Fiona needs is a criminal in her life when she’s just starting to get it back. Jimmy even tells her he’s still a criminal when Fiona asks him whos that lady, the one that orders pie & gives $100 tip, & jimmy says she’s his partner in crime. So, please, writers of Shameless, even if Fiona & Gus doesn’t work out, I still don’t want to see her back with Jimmy.

19. smileclickq says:

I love love love Fiona & Gus!

20. frank7 says:

what is the name of Asian woman that brings Jimmy back and is the big tipper in the dinner

21. julie says:

Am I the only one who thinks this season is complete & total crap?! Fiona getting married to this random guy is just dumb. None of these characters are growing, just becoming more ridiculous to the point where the story line is not even remotely believable…one word…BOO!

22. Jennifer M says:

I want Jimmy and Fiona to get back together. He is so sexy!!

23. Audrey says:

I think it was the best decision that Fiona’s has ever made. Gus knows how Fiona’s has guardian ship of her syblings and without a question. Went into the marriage for love and support. She’s come a long rugged. Road and is doing great proud of her of them all. Now this Sammi,. Is definitely weird and her purpose on show should be done. She’s only wants money and act’so childish.

24. Roo says:

Who is this handsome man Gus and what is his real name?

25. Cameron Lloyd says:

Bring back Steve, he was best for her and her family. No she should not stayed married, but
    that would make a good love story to get Steve to woo her while he “thinks” she is married.