Ratings: Grey's, Scandal Return Up; Parenthood Finale and Mom Hit Highs

Scandal Season 4 Ratings

On the first night of February sweeps, ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy returned to 8.6 million total viewers and a best-since-premiere 2.7 demo rating, up 4 and 13 percent from its midseason finale.

Scandal (10.4 mil/3.6) returned up 3 and 16 percent, drawing best-since-premiere numbers and matching its second-best demo rating ever. TVLine readers gave the ep an average grade of “B.”

How to Get Away With Murder (9.1 mil/3.0), however, dipped 7 percent and a tenth from its last episode.

Elsewhere….

NBC | Parenthood said goodbye to 5.5 million viewers and a 1.7 demo rating, surging 25 and 33 percent week-to-week to draw all-time Thursday highs. Versus its previous finale, P’hood was up 37 and 31 percent, delivering its best numbers since Dec. 2012 and Jan. 2013, respectively. The Biggest Loser finale (5.3 mil/1.4) rose 19 percent and two tenths.

FOX | Facing #TGIT, American Idol (9.2 mil/2.2) fell 14 and 21 percent week-to-week, while Backstrom (5.3 mil/1.4) dropped 34 and 26 percent from its debut.

CBS | Leading out of a fresh Big Bang (17 mil/4.4, down two tenths), Mom drew its second largest audience ever (11.8 mil) and hit a series high in the demo (2.8). Two and a Half Men (9.7 mil/2.3) and McCarthys (7.1 mil/1.6) each ticked up a tenth, while Elementary (7.6 mil/1.3)slipped 8 percent and two tenths.

THE CW | Opposite #TGIT, Vampire Diaries (1.5 mil/0.7) ticked down a tenth to tie its series low; Reign (1 mil/0.4) shed some viewers while steady in the demo.

1. wrstlgirl says:

Poor Backstrom. It’s actually a pretty good show but it’s likely to drop even more next week when The Blacklist shows up.

2. Amber says:

well deserved TVD

3. Boiler says:

Gee Reign is lower than my show Hart of Dixie. Who was renewed?? Time to bring Dixie back too

4. kmw says:

That is great for Parenthood to go out with those numbers. CBS did what I expected as usual. I am surprised with HTGAWM. I thought it would do better, but it is still doing well. For everyone who thought FOX was on a roll, last night proved they still have a lot to improve on. Even with Greys Anatomy coming back, Idol fell pretty big. As for Backstrom, it is only going to get worse with Blacklist next week

• Amanda says:

HTGAWM was against Parenthood finale. I think that caused the dip because fans of both shows like myself watched Parenthood live this time!

• herman1959 says:

Exactly, last night was the first time I had watched Parenthood live in years, and I caught HTGAWM on hulu this morning. But I do agree with kmw on one point – Backstrom will be finished next when its on opposite Scandal and The Blacklist. Plus, let’s be honest, the pilot just wasn’t great so a lot of people who tried it won’t be back.

5. Tran says:

I’m really going to miss Parenthood. One of the best series finales in my opinion and may have Emmy considerations for the time being. The ending made me cry sort of like the series finale of Friday Night Lights.

6. Iakovos says:

PARENTHOOD is a class act on network television. Wish it received more love and respect during its run. Was very satisfied with the closer. There is a place for dramas without antiheroes, snark, crime procedural, and outlandish plotting.

7. Stacey says:

So Backstrom won’t be lasting. If FOX was to shore up a decent score for Thursdays. BRING BACK BONES! Don’t wait until March 26th. And also close David and Emily’s new contracts and bring the show back for a final season. Give David more episodes to direct. Idol and BONES should at least stabilize things better than Backstrom.

8. RW says:

It’s unfortunate that Parenthood couldn’t have had those kind of numbers consistently. Then, perhaps, it would still be on.

9. Mary says:

Not surprise about American Idol. I think HTGAWM will go up next week. I think many, myself included watch the season final of Parenthood live and dvr the other. Thursday night is a tough night.

10. dan the critic says:

A great Parenthood finale. Krause, Nelson, Potter, Burkholder, Graham, Whitman, and Shepard should all get awards.

11. Letti says:

Well done TVD. Hey where are those die-hard Delenas? XD

12. Gerri says:

I’m glad the ghost story on Reign is done. Catherine’s last scene? Wow!!! I feel bad for Greer. Hope she comes back. Really Lola and Conde??
    Vampire Diaries was good. But nothing is ever easy for those characters is it?
    HTGAWM was great. So well done. Can’t wait to keep watching.
    Backstrom was better last night than the pilot. I’ll keep watching on PVR.
    Big Bang was good too, but the Cinnamon story has been done to death. And I think Sheldon should use the noise cancelling headphones again only not turn them on so he can hear all those things they said. It would be a real eye opener.
    Overall a great night of TV.. Love Thursdays

13. kmw says:

Boy I wish you were right about Bones, but FOX is going to allow Backstrom to run its episodes no matter how far they fall, however I don’t think it will survive to get another season. The only way their ratings might affect Bones is in their contract negotiations, I am sorry to say we are going to have to wait until March 26th for Bones. I forgot that people might have skipped HTGAWM for Parenthood. Even though I never watched it I am glad this little show went out on such a good note, ratings and all. Too bad there is not more shows like this

14. Rosa Melcacho says:

What happend to all that I wont be watching Mom ever again stuff everyone was crying about last week. I really kept up my word of not watching the show ever again but I think I was the only one…

15. Joey Padron says:

Glad Parenthood got good ratings for their final episode. They deserve it for a great finale.