Ground Floor Cancelled at TBS

Ground Floor Cancelled

Ground Floor is taking the stairway to heaven.

TBS has cancelled Bill Lawrence’s underrated workplace sitcom, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The show’s Feb. 10 Season 2 closer will now serve as its series finale.

Interestingly, Ground Floor — which stars Skylar Astin and Briga Heelan — opened its sophomore run in December with 1.4 million total viewers and a 0.6 demo rating, and at last count pulled 1.7 mil/0.7 (leading into Cougar Town’s 1 mil/0.5). Season 1 averaged 1.8 million weekly viewers, with Live+& DVR playback factored in. (Translation: Huh?)

UPDATE: A TBS rep maintains that Ground Floor has not been officially cancelled.
UPDATE: TBS on Feb. 13 officially announced the series will not be moving forward,

1. rude, TBS! Skylar Astin is a genius

2. ScrubsGuy says:

TBS – not very funny. =(

3. Boiler says:

Guess TBS as stupid as their cousin TNT

4. I can’t say I am surprised. I enjoy the show but something has been very off about season 2.

• DeeDee says:

Alexis Knapp’s character leaving off camera wasn’t a great move to me. She was hilarious.

• Delirious says:

Yeah, that was weird (read: bad), and some stuff this 2nd season is kinda off… But why cancel it, instead of trying to fix things by going back to what worked in season 1?

I mean, I’m willing to bet some of the changes that happened between seasons were demands from the network, so it’d basically be “we don’t like this, do this other thing”, and when it doesn’t work, “yeah, it didn’t work, so you’re done”.

Bad move, TBS, bad moove. REALLY bad move.

• Myshawne Fogg says:

I agree that Knapp’s departure made a huge difference in the show’s popularity. She should have never left and the show should’ve stuck with what worked in season 1. “MY GOD PRODUCERS, GIVE THE SHOW A CHANCE!”

• Emma says:

I agree I thought it was just me. But there something about season 2 that felt wrong to me. Such a shame it was a great show

• Areg says:

I thought season 2 was way funnier… The first season felt really forced.. So sad they cancelled :(

• gabrielle says:

Agreed.

I think the show should have stayed with the musical format. ‘Love Skylar’s voice.

5. Randy says:

that’s too bad. Seems like all the good shows are being cancelled…

6. Jo says:

nooooooooo

7. Joey Padron says:

Sad the show got cancelled. It’s so good & funny. dumb move TBS.

8. Ben Kabak says:

Nooooooo

9. Tom says:

That sucks. Even without Alexis Knapp I’ve been enjoying this season

10. Mare says:

That stinks! I really like that show. And it was just getting back it’s groove now that Brody is working for Mansfield again. Bad decision.

11. Ralph says:

Well crap. After Falling Skies ends I am DONE with both TNT & TBS. STILL hurting from the Dallas cancellation and now another favorite. Ground Floor definitely deserved better. A very fun show with a great cast. I will miss it.

12. daveedtjr says:

Any chance of another network picking it up, since ratings were going up?

13. Josh says:

BOOOOO!!!! You suck TBS the ratings were getting better!! Love this show, Jenny is so Hot and so likeable. Really liked Brody and the Brody/Jenny Romance! I bet the show ended on a cliffhanger. God TBS sucks for this decision

14. RSB says:

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!

15. Sandra says:

Nooooooooo why? I´m gonna miss it. I love Skylar Astin.

16. annie says:

I can’t believe it. It isn’t brilliant but this show makes me laugh.

17. ggny says:

Guessing Skylar wanted out. The dude should be doing something better

18. SallyW says:

Not surprising, but it still sucks balls! If I didn’t stumble upon it I wouldn’t know it even existed. So glad I found it though. Funniest show on tv right now; I dare say even better than network shows. TBS is stupid to cancel it!

19. MTB says:

Unbelievable!!! In my opinion, this is the funniest show on TV. I watch TBBT, Modern Family, The Goldbergs, etc, etc, etc. Not one of them have made me cry laughing like this one does this season. This is a crime!

20. Faith says:

This makes me so sad. What am I going to do without hearing those two sing weekly!

21. zagsfan says:

I just discovered this show this year, for pete’s sacke.

22. haylbass says:

I spent all last weekend watching this show. I fell in love and now its cancelled!! WHY WHY WHY???

23. m3rcnate says:

While it seems like the numbers were going up, IMO the shows quality was done for a few reasons:

Like Suits most recent season, they broke away from the formula that we came to love. We loved Brody and Mansfield and their bro-mance/mentor-mentee relationship in the first season, and in the second season they had them fighting and not working together anymore (for way too many episodes IMO).

Next up we LOVED Brody’s relationship with Jenny and how romantic/sexy/funny they were, well in season 2 they concentrated on Harvard and the new girl Lindsay (who i didnt find funny or interesting at ALL) and then on them as a couple, which meant less screen time for Brody and Jenny who were the most interesting/sexy/fun/funny characters of the bunch with the best chemistry.
    So while i really enjoyed the show, i LOVED the first season and i was just starting to fall for the show again but i dont feel like they were on stable enough footing to take the creative risks they took (shaking up what characters they focus on and adding a boring new character).

24. Kayla says:

NOOOOO. I LOVE this show. I love the chemistry between Skylar and Briga and between Skylar and John. It’s so well written and ughhhh whyyyy approaching meltdown.

25. Babygate says:

I’m not surprised. Although it has some really great moments, particularly between Brody and the boss, the Harvard character is so creepy that it becomes a reason not to watch. Obviously TPTB thought at some point that this was a hilarious character to focus on.

26. javadude54 says:

Rats! Ground Floor is one of my favorite shows.

27. Tom says:

That was the only reason to watch TBS. Seriously. Baaaad move.

28. Leah says:

No, this can’t be happening! It’s been doing better with every episode. It’s like cutting off the wings of a bird who only just learnt how to fly. This ain’t over! #SaveGroundFloor

29. Frog212 says:

Yea the first 5 episodes where Brody was on the Ground Floor and breaking Mansfield trust wasn’t that great to watch. But now that they are back together I like watching the show again.

30. Ram510 says:

WHAT?!?! I figured it was going to get the usual TBS 3 and done treatment. Eventhough my initial thinking when it was renewed last year for season 2 I figured it was a pity renewal and wouldn’t last but it’s numbers a solid enough for another season and it held its own all by itself during the holidays

31. JRobey83 says:

TBS has plenty of Big Bang Theory reruns to run in it’s place.

32. Steve F. says:

I blame Kevin Reilly.

33. Stacy says:

I watched the entire first season and a couple eps of the second… But honestly? It wasn’t that great.

34. Ethan says:

STOP CANCELLING GREAT SHOWS. You guys cancelled Men At Work now you have cancelled Ground Floor?!? TBS, you’re making bad decisions and in result losing viewers from watching your channel! Skeptical to get too into a show because you guys cancel the good ones.

• Ram510 says:

I really miss Men at Work. That was one of TBS’ best original comedies, right up there with My Boys. Men at Work should still be in the air

• tp says:

WHYYYYYYY bring MAW up?!!! lol. Now I’m really sad. I miss that show a lot.

• Ram510 says:

It’s TBS, they just won’t stop canceling good shows. I don’t know why they only give thier shows 3 seasons. Men at Work, Ground Floor, Glory Daze. 10 Items or Less, Are We There Yet, Sullivan & Son, TBS just doesn’t like keeping original comedies around too long (with the exception of My Boys)

• JWW says:

This new head man at TBS wants to make things “edgier” – what does that mean ? Ground Floor was nothing great , but it was decent fun. Alexis leaving hurt a bit , but not enough to cancel the show. There is not enough on anymore to just get an occasional true chuckle out of anymore – Franklin & Bash gone – Sullivan & Son gone – now Ground Floor gone, mindless mirth. Now I guess TBS & TNT want to go all Reality and Idiocy on us ? Just stop watching.

35. B.S. says:

I applaud Ground Floor for the barriers it crossed. The cast of this show brings it every week, and the comedic delivery is so new and fresh. John McGinley is the anchor that makes everything work. The inter-mingling between the money people upstairs and the maintenance folks downstairs is a brilliant concept. What a crime on America to cancel such a great show.

You can see right now, but I’m giving TBS the finger!!

36. KevyB says:

I love Bill Lawrence and I enjoyed most of the cast here, but it never rose to a level above amusing. Cougar Town this was NOT.

37. Ric says:

Hope not show is very funny!

38. isaldor says:

Ratings were good, that doesn’t make sense.

39. Dan the critic says:

The first season was better when they had Alexis Knapp.

40. Carol says:

I agree with others who said something was ‘off’ about this season. I was very charmed by S1 and looked forward to S2. By the second episode I was finding myself disappointed and stopped watching. Will be watching were Skylar ends up next.

41. Kristina says:

Nonono!!!! This is our favorite show!!!!

42. Jimmy says:

Not surprising. This is the most unfunny show.

43. Jason Paul says:

What? No! This is one show I always watch right away. A funny “feel good” show.

44. Ben says:

I am a big Bill Lawrence fan, but Ground Floor did not resonate with me. I stopped watching 3 episodes into the first season and haven’t watched since.

45. nick says:

This sucks I love 3PEAT

46. jj says:

WHAT!? so didn’t see this one coming :( Personally I’ve enjoyed season 2 a lot more than season 1

47. Ray says:

I love that show! Why do the networks always cancel the good shows? It just doesn’t make any sense.
    I’m hoping this report is wrong.

48. jeff wright says:

This show is one of the more entertaining Bill Lawerence projects and if NBC keeps undateable and TBS passes on GF, maybe NBC will pick it up!

49. HAP says:

Maybe if Undateable get a third season pick up at NBC, they could bring Briga Heelan back as a full tie cast member. Just love her.