Vampire Diaries Recap: The Merge

Vampire Diaries Spoilers

Thursday’s Vampire Diaries made good on its promise of a heartbreaking death, though probably not the one fans were expecting.

Luke and Liv’s very good-looking father came a-callin’ this week to begin his children’s merging process — you know, like any good father would — but his master plan hit a few bumps along the way. The first bump came courtesy of Tyler, who physically got between Liv and Papa Parker to stop the initial merge. It was a nice reminder of what a hero Tyler can really be… as well as a nice reminder that he’s actually still around. (I was starting to think he’d joined Bonnie in 1994.)

Bump No. 2 was a bit of a group effort, so try and follow along: Damon woke up Kai, who attempted to merge with Jo, who was ultimately saved by her brazen little brother — who, totally beside the point, is in desperate need of a haircut. Anyway, Luke attempted to merge with Kai himself (Gemini twin rules be damned!) and, frankly, things didn’t really go his way. A gust of wind, some heavy chanting and… BOOM! Dead.

(Is it bad that I’m secretly glad Kai won? I mean, Luke’s great an all, but I’ve grown more attached to that menacing psychopath than Elena’s calculator.)

Meanwhile…

vampire-diaries-caroline-momMOM’S THE WORD | In the grand spectrum of familial blurtings, “I killed my mom!” is among the worst, yet that’s exactly what Caroline said Thursday when she discovered that her blood not only sped up Colin’s cancer, but also turned him into a vampire. He’s now a “Stage 10” cancer patient, which even Jo admitted is “not a thing,” yet he’s incapable of dying — a grim fate that Sheriff Forbes now has to look forward to herself. Fans’ worst fears were nearly realized when she flatlined, but Caroline’s Emmy-worthy tears of pain and desperation brought her back to the land of the living. (I mean, I’m no doctor, but I’m pretty sure that’s what did it.)

As if that wasn’t devastating enough, Sheriff Forbes had a message for Stefan upon her waking: “When I’m gone, Caroline is going to need you,” she told him, adding that her daughter will need someone who can “make her smile.” At this point, if your heart isn’t in tiny pieces on the floor — pieces which curiously spell out “Steroline” — you might want to check to make sure you’re still human.

Vampire Diaries SpoilersA KISS AFTER NOT DYING | Fortunately, one good thing came out of Sheriff Forbes’ brush with death: the long-awaited reunion of Damon and Elena’s mouths! At the top of the hour, Elena turned down Damon’s request for a date — he proposed a French flick, followed by eggplant that’s “so good, you’ll think you’re eating people” — because they’d already done that, and she considered it “cheating.” Well, after nearly losing her best friend’s mom in her arms, Elena didn’t really care about “rules” anymore, laying a big ol’ kiss right on Damon’s face hole. It was the king of sweeping reunion we’ve seen countless times between these two, yet for some reason, it just never gets old.

All right, TVD-ers, let’s talk: Are you glad Kai won the merge? Are you relieved to see Damon and Elena back together? And is there any hope for Sheriff Forbes? Dry your tears, then drop a comment with your thoughts on the episode below.

1. nellie says:

Andy, honestly. I just do not care. Stop assuming that the entire fandom likes delena, that abusive offensive shit is not worthy of my time. Two episodes down, I’ll tune back in next week.

2. Nara says:

lol Liz had to beg Stefan to be with Caroline and he will do it because of pity/guilt. *yawn*
    Also what did Caroline’s vamp face meant in Liz’s near death experience

• xyz says:

@Nara the vamp face symbolizes Liz’s concern that her death may cause Caroline to snap, “flip the switch” and essentially become a ripper. Liz knows her death will break Caroline, but she doesn’t know to what extent. The “shock” of this becoming reality is what brought her back. All of this is simply my opinion.

• Gwen says:

New flash…Stefan has always cared for Caroline. No one seemed be complaining or whining when Stefan spent the day with Caroline to help her become a new vampire…did he do that out of guilt/pity? So, it should not be surprising that these 2 individuals who have always supported each other start to question if there is something more.

• emma says:

Newsflash, you are a hardcore Dullena and would cheer Stefan on if it was a tree in the middle of the forest! As long as Stefan is away from Elena you guys are happy. Dullena is the reason that people stopped watching the show (I stopped watching in the middle of last season but LOVE to read the negative comments about you beloved Dullena/trainwreck) and will be remembered as the reason the vampire diaries failed. EPIC FAIL

• sprizzle2182 says:

soo.you’ve stopped watching yet still find time to go to an article, read the comments and post about a show you havent watched in a year?? lol…sounds like the only thing dull around here if your life if thats what you do for entertainment….maybe you should find something else to do with yourself then demeaning strangers on a recap article…

• 221bsam says:

Uh, how can a series in its sixth season that’s just been picked up for a seventh be considered a failure?

• emma says:

Check the ratings, Lol. Happy dance for former Stelena’s who USED to watch this show.

• Guest says:

Yes even with the so called bad ratings..we get a season 7 so still..happy dance for Delena fans. I couldn’t care less about the ratings as long as i get my Delena fix

• emma says:

@guest, do you really think that a show with the ratings as low as the Dullena Diaries will seriously see 22 episodes. Oh, poor you..you do don’t you?..Lol..nope they won’t

• Guest says:

@Emma that’s what your kind has been saying since season 4 so…we will just have to wait and prove you wrong yet again.

• ... says:

Emma, the CW gave JP a new 3 year contract after S5. Ratings have been in the 0.7-0.9 demo range for nearly a yr now so the CW knew what they were getting. 3 years = them intending to keep it around at least thru S8. It gets them the #2 ad rate on the network, S7 will absolutely have 22 eps bc of the $ it makes them.

As a Delena and Steroline shipping current fan of TVD, that makes *me* do a happy dance.

• VDFan says:

@emma, the only time the ratings picked up in season six according to Julie was the heavy advertised delena mistletoe teaser. It dropped down again last week at the opening after the hiatus, and even more this week, and the reason for all of this is since season 5 the never ending boring doppelganger coming out of our ears, the constant split up of delena , character assassinations,, boring witches all over the place in season 6,, not enough damon and Stefan scenes, bad writing and so on.

• Jovana says:

Wow, Emma, you’re losing it big time. You need to stop being such a hater about a show you don’t even watch, get off the Internet…and get laid. That’ll cheer you up.

• J says:

actually I was a die hard stelena fan I dont like delena either but I want stefan to be happy. I can tell hes happy when he with caroline. Plus elena broke his heart to many times!! Stefan deserves better then that bitch!! I was here for stelena but just cause they broke up im not gonna stop watching the show. Im a stefan fan so im gonna support him!! Some of the stelena fans look bad when they say they stopped watching when delena got together cause that means your not really a fan of stefan then!! You just stopped watching over a ship which is childish!! Its a show grow up people!!

3. Jessica says:

I’m absolutely disgusted that they took a moment about Liz and made it all about delena . So disgusted with this show.

• Bird says:

It was all sorts of tacky, not to mention it cheapens the storyline considering Elena is not even her daughter and Damon was supposed to be Liz’s friend. The last thing in his mind should be to make out with an old teenager when his best friend is about to orphan her daughter.

• Kenny says:

FYI Elena is not a teenager. she is twenty. But i totally agree with you.

• Patricia m says:

The girl actually had the nerve to say. Life is to short so let’s be together. I wanted to be like b**** your a vampire. Life is as long as you want it. It made me even madder because there showing promos of her staying that idiotic phrase over and over during the week. A writer needs to be slapped for that one

• Samara says:

SMH You are the idiot. Vampires drop like flies in MF, so that phrase actually makes a lot of sense unless she had been an original vamp.

• Lindy says:

The Delena moment was a beautiful reunion UNLIKE Liz asking Stefan to take care of Caroline, when she’s gone. Oh well if Liz endorses Steroline as her dying wish who are we to question it.WTH
      Everything in this episode was great except for the Forced-Steroline-scenes.

• Kim says:

Agreed!!!!

• Gwen says:

Seriously, then stop watching and take back an hour each week of your life just so you can stop complaining about it. Each week it is the same old story. It should not come as a surprise that death heightens emotions and brings people closer together. Stelena has not been a thing for 51 episodes…it is time to move on.

• Ari says:

Hello, everything is about Delena! Did you forget what show you were watching?

• emma says:

This is just ANOTHER example of why so many of us stopped watching this show. The Dullena Diaries is a slap in the face of so many fans of the rest of the cast of this once great show. Every single actor other than Ian and Nina are treated like crap and given horrible storylines. The writers have made it clear to everyone that Ian is there life. Just stop watching and hope that Paul, Candice, Kat do what Steven is doing. LEAVE this show and go on to bigger and better movie roles. Hope the cw opens their eyes to what us fans are saying and FIRE Julie Plec and Caroline Dries. There crush on Ian has destroyed this show!

• jenna says:

Ian is simply the best actor on the show by far. He is also one of the most likable characters. Yes season 5 was pretty bad but that was mostly because of the travelers (Marcos was the worst)and the fact that Damon and Elena weren’t together when they should have been after all the build up in season 4. I think we will have to see were season 6 goes to truly say if the writers ruined the show or not. Kai is a good villain and bonnie will be back soon!

• Guest says:

CW is not in the business of listening to bitter Stelena shippers.

• Patricia m says:

You said it girl. Everyone takes a back seat to Damon and Elena. I love Damon, but it’s not a very well rounded story. Considering the main characters are supposed to be Damon and Stefan. The masses are willing to take whatever’s written as gold, but people with more discerning tastes can spot the problems. I watch anyway cause I do love Damon. Note that in the statement I’m not mentioning Elena at all.

• VDFan says:

I agree, I am a delena fan , but i would like to see a lot more of Stefan and damon , i love them in a scene together, now we have just stories all over the place witches all over the place, not enough of damon Stefan and Alaric together and so on. I am still hanging in there for damon. because i love him so much.

• Jovana says:

They are actually doing that a lot these days. They’ve turned Elena, who used to be someone who’d do anything for her friends, into someone I don’t recognize. She’s not there for Caroline, not looking for ways to bring Bonnie back, not checking on her brother, or other friends…
      ALL she does is – crying, pining for, fighting with, compeling away the memories of, drinking with, flirting with, rejecting, dancing with, hooking up with – DAMON. Seriously, why does every Elena’s thought have to be about him? This reunion… it felt forced. Once again, driven by fan-service.
      The writers have dropped the ball way too many times when it comes to relationships on this show. The sire storyline, then Klaroline (out of nowhere sex in the woods, really?), then ‘I’m bad for you, Elena’ and breakups and sex every other episode… Plec and co have succesfully killed my love for Delena. Now I just don’t care.

If you can’t tell a story right, if you can’t handle the pressure from the fans – don’t do that job.

4. nellie says:

Andy. Seriously. Stop assuming the entire fandom likes Delena. That is not the case, that abusive offensive load of crap is not my cup of tea. Two episodes down, I’ll tune back in next week. Also WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT PROMO! Bonnie killing herself? I can suggest another character who should be making that decision *cough* elena *cough*

• Andy Swift says:

I’m not sure when I assumed that, but at this point, the show is clearly going in the direction of Damon/Elena and Stefan/Caroline, like it or not.

• nellie says:

All, I’m saying is you can write more objectively. I mean writing about tv shows is your job, right? Do it in a matter that is not so annoying.

• Andy Swift says:

I’m sorry to hear you’re so easily annoyed.

• nellie says:

Get over yourself. How about you take your effort in trying to be snarky and put it in your writing.

• MK says:

BAHAHA what the heck is wrong with some of you people??? It’s a freaking TV show. Watch the show (or don’t), have fun, read the reviews if you care to — or don’t.

• Angela says:

Shhhh! You’re using that pesky logic stuff, we can’t have that on the internet!

• Gwen says:

THANK YOU…THANK YOU…THANK YOU. This entire page is just filled with unhappy,whining, sad individuals. I use to love having a productive conversation about this show and the characters but it is the same every week Bash Delena and Steroline. Yes, it should come a no surprise that this show is first and foremost about a girl who falls in love with 2 brothers. So Yes, the show is about relationships and it is clear that Elena has chosen Damon – AGAIN, and Stefan is happy for them and has moved on. So watch it, not watch it…but these fans need to stop complaining about it

• 221bsam says:

Could not have said it better!

• Lindy says:

@Nellie watch the show or don’t..nobody cares…we love Delena and so do the show writers, at this point no one care what Delena haters have to say..this ain’t a democracy anymore. Get onboard or get off the train, plain and simple!

• Gilded Lady says:

I don’t care about Delena, but Damon was comforting a distraught Elena…like a good boyfriend.

Damon already did his good for Liz: by having Kai suck that poisonous magic from her. So yeah. He did okay.

• Nara says:

People like you are the reason the show has lost so much quality, instead of pushing for storylines and character development you push for romance and find it ‘cute’ that they are killing a mother to make a ship happen. Seriously just ask the Plaque for a job, as she loves fangirls in her writing room, bet she takes you in a heartbeat.

• Hanna says:

For the record, Andy, as someone who *does* love Damon/Elena and Stefan/Caroline, I didn’t feel like you were assuming everyone loved them at all, just offering your own opinion on them :)

Love your weekly episode recaps :)

• Dmac says:

Of course you loved it, you seem to like the emphasis on ships. Which is okay if that is the reason to watch the show. Others like the others to be part of the story and not a plot device to put Delena and Stefan/Caroline together.

• Dmac says:

Actually, yes it is getting old very old and I am tired of Delena. Please yes kets use every bad thing that happens as an excuse for a Delena moment.

• Guest says:

I’m glad Andy’s recaps really capture how Delena fans feel..we can never get enough of Delena. If you are tired of Delena, can I ask what you are doing watching a show that is probably 40% Damon and Elena, do you not have better things to do with your time.

• Dmac says:

When it comes to Delena, you do seem to assume that we are all are excited about them and their epic moments, which aren’t fan service except when they are.

• Lindy says:

Thank you Andy..I’m blowing you kisses right now..Great response, Nothing more to add

• Dennis says:

Personally I hate Elena I think she’s the worst part of the show

5. Jessica says:

Also Andy, please stop with your delena obsession. It’s getting really ridiculous.

6. Rip Luke says:

Am I the only one confused on why Kai won when Luke was strong enough to force him to merge !

7. Viv says:

Actually, I´m upset that Luke lost the merge. Yeah, Kai… great… meh… they have like 10 episodes to go, the need a story and they builded Kai as the Big Bad. At this point I would have been more surprised if Luke had won the merge. I thought that this was were they were going when the father said that there is going to be “a new being” or something like that… I still think that this will become important at some point. And I am all for love between siblings so I routed for Luke… well, be that as it may…

• Gwen says:

I am so glad to hear you say that…I loved Luke in that moment…stepping up to save his sisters from the evil brother. I was really rooting for him. He was so great…after it was all over and it was clear he did not survive…I was hoping maybe Liv or Jo could do something to bring him back.

8. Hoshi says:

hey can we not attack the writer of the article? I think he knows who’s a fan of what. (I don’t care for any shipping on this show lol. Except maybe Alaric with Jo!)

If you don’t like it then that’s fine. But for the first comments to attack his work is just mean :-/ at least he gets paid for what we wish we did: commenting on TV shows!

• Hoshi says:

Also, anyone else think that Kai will now have a growing conscience?

• Andy Swift says:

Ha! Thanks Hoshi. Negative comments don’t really hurt me because, as you mentioned, this is a television show. We allllll need to keep that in perspective.

• jerrired says:

I think you might be right about Kai’s conscience that’s what I’m most excited about him winning the merge. Luke was clearly very selfless and good. Kai is clearly a monster. There has to be some type of good vs. evil battle going to happen with him. Have to give the writers credit for that one. If they do decide to soften Kai, they can clearly use this as an explanation, unlike with other characters. It’ll give the character a different angle.

9. Jessica says:

Even Kai thinks delena is terrible

• Lindy says:

Only because he might have a crush on Elena.

• Rook says:

Didn’t the Gemini dad say in merging you get traits of the one who dies. I’m hoping Kai becomes gay because TVD finally gave us a gay character and he was lame. They didn’t give his character anything other than witch, and gay.

• joey1013 says:

Actually you have Josh heavily pushed as fay character on the originals. Plus you whole cast of glee mostly gay stop complaining.

• Gwen says:

Nice to see Liz put Kai in his place…Kai hates everyone. I take Delena over Kai any day.

10. Hanna says:

Good episode, I’m really digging this season. Poor Luke! I guess I liked him more than I realized bc I’m sad about him. But not as sad as I am about what’s happening with Liz :( Soooo sad ::( That storyline is breaking my heart but it’s such a great arc for Caroline. Loved the Delena and Steroline moments.

Kai’s fun but from all the ‘Chris Wood is the BESTEST ACTOR EVER WE ARE SO BLESSED, AND HE’S TOTALLY OUR NEW BFF LOVE HIM LOVE HIM NOW’ promo the cast and JP are doing, which is a copy and paste of what they did re Michael Malarkey last season, hes obvs getting upped to regular status next season and I’m not here for that. I wish TVD would learn to let go of it’s villains and not keep repeating this mistake of keeping them around for at least 1 season too long to draw ponies or be as useless as Enzo has been this season.

11. bluegossip says:

i for one loved andy’s recaps. And no you do not assume everyone is a delena fan. dont mind these delena haters, they would rather write about MF weather than mention damon or elena.

• Dmac says:

The fact that you are jumping to his defense means that he is giving you
      what you want: Delena fan service. I could care about them as a couple nor do I want to read recaps that spend more time gushing about them and not enough on the other moments which were important and yet we are subjected to phrase like “king of sweeping reunions” was that really necessary or even remotely accurate. That is pandering to a certain ship and it gets tiresome.

• kunde says:

Since this is not a love triangle anymore, I do not see what the problem is. If it were still Stelena vs Delena then yeah maybe but at this point, the show is running with two ships Steroline and Delena so this article gushing over Delena is quite acceptable & well within it’s rights to do so,
        Damon & Elena are the central r/ship of the show.
        You or anyone else not liking the main ship of the show should not be Andy’s problem.

• luv2cook says:

The problem is that the whole Delana thing was great until it made the most dangerous and smart character, Damon, stupid x 10. Once that happened, I was out. Thank God for The Originals.

12. bluegossip says:

Oh please kill kai off!!!! Yes his fun and all but if there is one thing TVD have screwed up time and time again…its letting their villains live past their expiration date. Seriously the originals were the worst to happen to TVD.

13. darkmistfay says:

There is nothing better than Delena. Damn them both for breaking up in real life. I’m sad about Liz. I think the show is running out of storyline. Not your fault. From what I’ve heard they took books that were barely readable and turned them into something that has been highly watchable for a long time.

Pissed Kai won! He makes a great villain and I hate him. That said I’m glad the girls are ok. They are ok right? I mean here on the west coast we still haven’t seen it….. yeah…. But the rest of it we knew was coming so really no huge loss. lol

14. Skaddadle says:

I personally think they should move on from delena and have stelena back on. But that’s just me. Seeing as i’m probably the only person on the planet who feels like that anymore. lol. I just would really disllike steroline because she seems so much more boring and i’m kinda surprised she is the only cast member who hasnt bit the dust yet and had anything remotely interesting happen with her character. AND does she seriously have to date every cast member of the show pretty much? I miss tyler and caroline. He was the one who seemed the best for her and she actually seemed less boring then.

• Jenna Maroney says:

they’re ruined Elena enough at this point that she’s nowhere near good enough for Stefan, but as a devoted fan of Season 1-3 Stefan + Elena, I would love a return to their story – at the very least it would put an end to “Dullena” ruining everything about this show by taking over all of the storylines.

• Ari says:

I think both Damon and especially Stefan can do much better than Elena. She’s easily one of the most unlikable characters on tv. I wish they’d take a break from the love triangle. I know that this show is all about Elena and her love for the Salvatore brothers but they just need to stop for a little while. Refocus on making Elena a character instead of some kind of prop. Fix Elena and you’ll fix the show.

• Lindy says:

I do agree with everything you said about Caroline, her insecurity,whining and control freak nature is untolerable. I love Delena & I cannot stand Steroline, I feel Stefan deserves better than Caroline.

• Gwen says:

The show has moved on…last time Stelena was a thing was 51 episodes ago when Stefan/ Elena sat on top of the roof and he gave her, her daylight ring. Stelena fans need to take a hint. As for Tyler and Caroline – he almost attacked (borderline abuse) her when he found out she slept with Klaus – when he did that I stopped wanting to see them get together – not good boyfriend material. Good thing Stefan was there to stop him.

• 221bsam says:

Right? I binge watched TVD on Netflix seasons 1-4 & I found Stefan & Elena really hard to watch, they were insipid. Stefan got interesting when he lost control in season 1, vampire Elena is very different from human Elena, they wouldn’t fit any more.
        Also; why does everyone hate Elena so much? the amount of trauma she went through as a human, then to be turned into a vampire at eighteen when you’re still finding yourself, she’s allowed to be a little flawed, I’ve got your back girl!

• TongueLashin says:

I agree. Trust me just losing your parents and a sibling at once will do damage eternally (I know from experience) but losing your aunt, your house, your college roommie and countless friends should have her checking into Mystic Falls psych ward. The fact that she did not stay ripper is a testament of her strength and courage.

15. They had to kill Liz to make Steroline romantic! They ruined a perfect friendship so Stefan won’t be alone. Why couldn’t they find some new love outside the circle of friends or have someome girl from his past return.

• Teresa says:

Well, I for one like Delena. Damon is my favorite character and Stefan is boring. As mentioned before, there has been no romance vibe between him and Caroline. It is sad about Liz, I really like how she handles the crazy stuff. I liked Caroline best with Klaus. Of the new characters, I do not like Luke and Liv. Liv is overly dramatic and Luke is boring. I also like Enzo and Kai. By the way, I’m glad Kai won (I believe that Luke will be in there to ruin some of Kai’s best laid plans).

• Gwen says:

Just like they used the Death of Elena’s parents to bring Elena/Stefan together right? Also, they did bring in another love interest for Stefan but Stefan neglected her and Enzo killed her…so maybe this relationship between Stefan and Caroline will last.

16. Jenna Maroney says:

oh that kind of “sweeping reunion” definitely gets old. it gets very old. I still don’t understand how Elena got turned around from hating Damon to loving him again so quickly? I feel like we didn’t see any sort of progression on those feelings on screen.

also, I was really hoping that the merge would end with Kai essentially “in” Luke’s body – like when they were talking about how the winner would basically absorb the traits of the other twin, that would mean Luke would take on Kai’s evil/psychopath nature and become the villain. Then it could lead to this whole dilemma about how to handle him, since Liv and Jo would naturally be opposed to killing their brother.

• Al says:

I was a delena shipper until season 5 when they killed off almost every new character and their storyline. And yet here they are, breaking up delena and the next thing you know, the story evolves to bring them back together again.

17. Yanez says:

A few thing stuck out for me. This is now the 2nd episode where Bonnie, the woman who all these characters owe their lives to, was again not mentioned one time. Liz narrowly escaped dying and that somehow turned into a Delana makeout session which is some of the most tackiest and disturbing writing I’ve seen on any show for a long time. Caroline’s dying mother begging Stefan to be in her daughter’s life.WTF is wrong with the writers on this show?

18. Al says:

getting tired of the whole break up then kiss and make up delena shit. At first it was an interesting romance but i feel that’s its no longer moving forward. i think the story of the show is strong enough and doesnt need romance. i hated season 5 for killing so many characters and storyline and making it a delena season

19. vgh09 says:

This show has gotten all sorts of terrible. It is merely a shadow of its former glory. And no Andy, I am definitely not excited about Delena. I physically cringe when they’re on screen together and find myself actually fast forwarding their scenes. I’m finding myself cringing now wirh Caroline and Stefan. Stefan and Katherineale more sense than these too. They’ve ruined Elena too much now for stelena to ever make sense. Unless they retcon that shit like they did with Elena and Damon. Bring Bonnie and Katherine back this show has gone from bad in S4, worse in S5, and purely awful this season. Can’t even believe they got picked up for another season. Don’t even know if I want to stick around for all of this one. RIP seasons 1-3. Somebody call Kevin Williamson and get some good writing in there for a change. And fire Caroline Dries she’s so far out of touch of what that show is and should be because she’s so Delena obsessed. She also needs a lesson in show and character continuity.

20. Kristen says:

I really liked this episode. It was so moving. I thought Liz was actually going to die without Caroline getting to say goodbye. Candice Accola did such an amazing job! She brought me to tears😭. I also thought the merge storyline was great. I had no idea Luke was going to merge with Kai. I knew it was a long shot, but I was actually hoping Luke would win and then we would see how Kai would get incorporated into his character. I didn’t realize how much I liked Luke until he sacrificed himself 😭.

21. Chris says:

So, I thought the Delena kiss was weird, BUT I understand why it happened. She’s lost a lot of people. She screwed up with erasing her memories. She acted too slow to get them back and lost them forever. She still has her feelings, so she took comfort in them. At least they didn’t have flat out grief sex. I’ve been a Delena shipper from season 1, and I want them to work out, but I’m not crazy about them like I used to be.

Honestly, I like the story with Kai. I don’t want it to go beyond this season, even though he’s fabulous. I liked the story with the twins. My least favorite twin was Joe. I wouldn’t have missed her.

I was upset when I thought Liz died. I really like her and her relationship with Damon.

I don’t mind Caroline and Stefan giving it a try.

Actually, I wish all the girls would go away on a camping trip and an episode could all be about the boys. I loved when Damon and Alaric teased Stefan about Caroline. Bring on the bromance!

• Teresa says:

You are so right!! “See Stefan, even the bear knew” I died laughing at that one. I like that Alaric has someone, but I wish it wasn’t Jo. She ran away and left her little brother and sister to take the fall for her. Lame. She even cried that she wasn’t ready until Kai showed up and broke Damon’s neck.

• Jessica says:

Well Liz wouldn´t be Damons buddy if she knew what he did to her daughter!

• Guest says:

Well Caroline was a hoe back then…well she still is, seeing as she’s slept or going to sleep with almost every1 in MF

• Jovana says:

I agree with almost everything you said. The only thing I’d change – Delena could have kissed and then, instead of continuing a makeout, just had a hug.

22. m3rcnate says:

The Vampire Diary Writers: “I know we are immortal but life is too short…”

LMAO WHAT?! CW writers ladies and gentleman…where the lines are horrible, the plots are filled with more holes than a human has pores.

23. Kayla says:

They’ve handled Damon and Elena’s relationship terribly. I understand that the show needs to be dramatic, but Stefan and Elena managed to have a happy, decently normal relationship in spite of everything that was happening around them. And everyone loved it; ratings were great. So that obviously works. But now we’ve got the soul mates together, and they break up for a stupid reason and are apart after just one summer together; one of them dies right when they’re about to stop being stupid; and then the other proceeds to erase all their memories, which we waited 4 seasons for. Now, on top of it all, there seems to be NO hope of her getting them back. (They’d better fix that. But the kiss in this episode didn’t work, so at this point I’m out of ideas.) Season 5 was absolute garbage; this one’s getting better, but along with continuing this garbage with Delena, they’ve also completely and unnecessarily neglected Bonnie and stopped her from being rescued. The show’s always been melodramatic, but they’ve gone from suspenseful and well put together to just plain stupid. These characters and the story are unrecognizable from the first three seasons (which were awesome). What the hell, TVD??

• Gwen says:

Agree – Delena has been TVD cash cow since S1. I think the fans are getting Delena fatigue, hoping and waiting for this couple to finally be truly together. But, TVD is not the only show that has used this formula to keep fans engaged, but I think it has reached it’s peak. I have a feeling they are going to drag this out until the end of the show, that is the only reason I was glad to hear S7 would be the last – to finally see Damon / Elena in the epic relationship we all know they deserve.

• Jessica says:

I SERIOUSLY HOPE YOU ARE JOKING. You are a joke. Delena has brought this show to the ground. IT has ruined this show!! Alot of people are SICK of Delena.

• Guest says:

You must be 11 at the most. You should know by now that no one cares if alot of people are sick of Delena, What matters most is the people who are not sick of Delena everyone else can F off

• Ruby says:

I actually like the show much better now. I didn’t really care for Elena/Stefan all that much. They were cute together but I like the idea of Stefan/Caroline and Damon/Elena.

• Kayla says:

1) Delena isn’t fan service. Elena ended up with Damon in the books the show is based on. So everyone can stop with that one.
          2) The reason people are so sick of Delena is because the writers handled them so badly. The whole point of what I said was that their relationship shouldn’t have been this toxic, broken, melodramatic thing. They could’ve made it way better. I’m pro Delena, but their relationship is just annoying as all hell. Which, as I said in the original comment, is about the writing.

• Erica says:

I’ve read every book LJ Smith wrote and see ends up with Stefan! Maybe the books some other author wrote made it end differently. I just wish they’d show Damon’s protective relationship with Bonnie and have them together.

24. sunce says:

TVD isn’t about storytelling, it’s about fan servicing. That’s why Delena exists. This episode Elena was awful, but i guess writers want us to hate her. Oh, and by the way, there are plenty of us who hate Delena. It’s over played and dragged to hell. And gross.

• Guest says:

If it makes you feel any better, the show writers are not really worried about people who hate Delena, their main concern is the Delena shippers.

• Letti says:

And look at the ratings. The funny thing is I even know Delena shippers who quit the show saying it became crap and boring. As for the recaps… Thank God for sarcasm. With it I can pretend, that recappers don’t worship Delena like 12-year-old fangirls. Sorry Andy. I usually like your writings, but I despise Delena.

• Emma says:

well they should worry a lot more about the ratings rather than worry about pleasing a fan base but i´m glad you´re admitting to Delena being pure fanservice

• Guest says:

People have been saying ratings this and that since season 4 but here we are with a season 7 in sight.
          Ok even with a drop in ratings, TVD is still CW’s 4th most watched show, that ain’t too bad seeing as its TVD’s 6th season.

• Jessica says:

The ratings are dropping and dropping. Get over yourself honey and face reality. THIS SHOW IS DONE.

• sunce says:

Those people who were true fans aren’t watching anymore. All they got is fangirls. Fangirls write the show. Delena reunion hit new series low. I guess people aren’t that excited about those two reuniting again and again and again and again… and again. P.S. Question for show runners- I am aware you can’t care less about Stefan, but what’s the point of Damons existance? Another P.S. No, Kai isn’t the vilain, nor Klaus, nor Silas, nor Travelers. Elena Gilbert is. Since S4.

• Guest says:

I dont know about you losers but I’m eagerly waiting for a season 7 and I’m going to enjoy it more than ever knowing that there are people who didn’t want the show to be renewed but it did. Here’s to many more episodes of TVD

• 221bsam says:

Doesn’t Delena exist because that’s what’s in the books?! this is a show based on (not that great) books, they have to honour the source material.

• Patricia m says:

Damon’s with Bonnie in the books. The books are a night and day difference from the show. Also google it the author was bared from writing anymore sequels because she wasn’t a Delena shipper either. They wanted the books to look more like the show.

25. Emma says:

That might just have been the worst episode of TVD ever! Here i was thinking that liz death was only gonna be a prob for the disgusting steroline and how stefan can be the hero and save the poor damsel in distress that is caroline OH NO how wrong was i its all about Delena!
    OH and Andy we all see through you and your Julie P stanning guess you want a writers job like your buddy carina as we all know by now all you have to do is to kiss Julies ass for a couple of years and the job will be yours just hang in there you´ve almost done enough ass kissing just a little more and you´re there.

• Emma says:

OH and didn´t we spend the first couple of season being told that Liz was a absent mother always working and neglecting caroline! oh and now whoop we find out it wasn´t working she was doing she was taking care of Elena instead of caroline…. jesues this show is the worst

26. Jessica says:

At least now anyone won’t be in the delusion that SC is going to be anything but a couple borne out of pity. i mean an actual death bed guilting into making stefan responsible for caroline happiness! you know cause every woman needs a man to take care of her!

27. adam says:

I was kind of hoping either Luke or Kai would die in the merge. Luke didn’t seem very interesting to me and Kai, although he is a very entertaining villian, i was not really looking forward to all the, more than likely mass murder and random death he would probabily cause if he had power. But in this episode right around the time Luke was forcing Kai to do the merge, i decided i wanted Luke to live because he became much more interesting than i thought he was. So, i’m a little dissapointed and now await the mass murder and random death caused by Kai.

28. zed says:

TVD season 1,2,and 3 were amazing! And that’s it!
    Season 6 showed promise till midseason finale and now it just went into nothingness!
    It’s like vampire daytime soap,

29. Samara says:

Really loved that long-awaited Delena reunion. Timed just right, Elena having mortality at her her doorstep and realizing that life’s too short to take things slow. Now we hope Delena sticks till the end of the series; highly doubtful though seeing as Kai is alive.
    The cherry on top was the Delena recap on this article, so on point.

30. Andre says:

Glad Kai won. His personality too fun to be gone already. Though I’m annoyed that Bonnie wasn’t the witch gone dark villain. But if not her I like Kai.

31. hello says:

Someone remind, why am i watching this shipper-bait again?I think i am done

32. Brian Dye says:

WTF!!! Can you please write spoiler or something, when adding headlines? i went on google n first thing i see is you spoiled episode 12 thanks a lot -.-

33. Essie says:

I liked Luke, but I’m happy Kai won, it would’ve been too easy to get rid of him so quickly suddenly. I’m really curious to see what parts of Luke besides magic went into Kai.
    The kiss between Damon and Elena was weird, well the timing was weird. I do understand the reason why it happened but they should’ve waited. A good hug would’ve been better.
    But where the hell was Matt this episode? He should’ve been there for Caroline and Liz. Especially after Caroline went to Duke and Matt looked after her mom for her. Makes no sense. The writers are dropping the ball more and more. Why does Liz have to die, I really hope the writers don’t really let her die. Why can’t there be at least one vampire teen who still has a parent around. It’s stupid.

Season 7 should be the last season, I feel like they are running out of storylines and some character developments are just not so strong anymore like they used to be earlier in the series. Tyler is really not interesting anymore which is really sad because he just to be such a good character. Same goes for Matt, though he has never really been an important character they still could’ve given him a better storyline. And they made such a cool move with bringing Alaric back but they have done nothing interesting with his character except giving him Jo as his love interest which is the only good thing and turning him human again.

• Essie says:

Tyler is really not interesting anymore which is really sad because he used to be such a good character.*

• Ari says:

I seriously watch episodes and just think, “Why are you still here?” every time he pops up on screen. If ever there was a time when Tyler needs to head off to Appalachia for a while it’s now. Oh Tyler, so useless. I always thought they should have just committed to him leaving in one of the earlier seasons. If you have a character that you can’t find a purpose for so you just continue to write him out for months at a time, you should probably just commit and write him out permanently.

34. Kim says:

Anyone else notice the huge veins in Caroline’s head?? Hate they are shoving caroline and Stefan down our throats, and I’m so over the damon and Elena show. I basically hate watch this now. When’s the originals back on???!?

• Patricia m says:

The only reason the Originals are good because Julie Plec doesn’t have her hands on it. I rule the day they let her get her hands on an episode. I may have to stop watching.

35. The show used to be a lot better but I will continue to watch.

36. Sims says:

Kai has to be the worst big bad this show has ever done. Can’t stand him. Actually thought about fast forwarding the merge stuff this episode. No clue why the recapped likes Kai so much. Would rather have kept Luke in the show, and that’s saying sonething…

37. Gwen says:

How did Tyler knock-out an all powerful Witch Gemini Coven Leader with one punch?

38. S says:

Sorry to disagree but Damon and Elena’s countless ‘reunions’ ARE getting old. Seriously…are they going to do this every single season…find a way to ‘break them up’ just so they can bring them back together again? Because if they make them all together and happy, where’s the drama?

39. Amber says:

If Liz dies, and Klaus doesn’t show up, that is when I will be pi**ed.

40. Gwen says:

I found it interesting how Elena challenged Stefan regarding “not observing Carl” further before feeding Liz vampire blood and how Damon said what needed to be said to Caroline. Here is what I took away from those exchanges. 1) Elena/ Stefan – yes, it is great to have hope but hope can become a weakness when desperation and restlessness overshadows that hope. All good intentions do not always have a silver lining (not all rainbows and unicorns) 2) Damon / Caroline – Was it a bit harsh – Yes, but I think Damon was testing Caroline. They all need to know how fragile she is at this moment and if she can handle the death of her mother w/o turning off her humanity when Liz passes. Preparing her for the worst before it happens is not a bad thing. And, Damon really cares for Liz so was he pissed Yes, Did he lash out in typical Damon fashion – No, so that is progress.

41. Gwen says:

So Kai learned a new trick – sucking out the magic from vampires – I would say our MF vamps might have a problem now. So either they will die or Jo might be able to save them and they become human – Elena and Caroline are not good candidates for that experiment but Stefan and Damon would be since they died from a gunshot.

42. As I read in a previous comment, this is no longer a democracy or show’s welfare. Now this is just what the writers want and we all know what they want, so it is no longer unexpected and exciting to watch. Just my opinion.

43. Guest says:

Ok so does Caroline’s mum still have vampire blood in her system after Kai sucked up all the magic. And when she dies will it still be Caroline’s fault

44. Guest says:

That Delena reunion could not have come soon enough. Loved every bit of it

45. Lisa says:

Wow! Goodness I didn’t realize how serious you guys can be over the show. That being said I would like to see Stefan happy with Caroline. I’m tired of it always being about Elena it’s time for the writers to give Caroline and Stefan more attention!!! Just my opinion so please don’t attack me I’m not into fighting on the internet.

46. Lisa says:

I agree with Joey the writers need to do something new,something shocking to keep us interested!

47. Ari says:

I finally liked Luke in this episode and he’s dead. I was also really disappointed by the merge. They’ve been building up to this for so long and it’s just a bunch of wind and Luke and Kai lying unconscious? I was expecting a witch battle royale! I’m assuming we didn’t see more of the merge because Jo and Kai are going to somehow merge later in the season and we’ll see more of the battle then. The merge was kind of lame but I’m glad Kai has more power now.

48. Can’t stand these shippers! Annoying much! How the hell is no one talking about Bonnie being missing from the last 3 episodes. I’ve heard no talk of her. I hope Bon Bon comes back as a witch b***h and kills them all especially Damon for forgetting about her after they had bonded so well.

• Patricia m says:

I said the same thing earlier. I totally agree. I blame the writers for that one. How do you expect more people to care about Bonnie when you can’t even get the characters to care.

49. Gerri says:

Is it wrong that I was hoping for Liv and Luke to Merge and Tyler to have feelings for Luke because Luke had part of Liv’s soul in him?
    Luke did need a haircut.
    I’m glad Forbes is alive.
    Follow my logic here. CUT OUT ALL THE CANCER (which would normally kill someone) then give the Vampire Blood. No cancer in the body to accelerate with the vampire blood. That would be my suggestion.