Criminal Minds Spinoff Pilot Adds Breaking Bad Star Anna Gunn

Anna Gunn Criminal Minds Spinoff

Anna Gunn is plotting her post-post-Breaking Bad future — as a cast member of CBS’ planted Criminal Minds spinoff pilot.

The two-time Emmy winner will star opposite Gary Sinise (CSI: NY) and Tyler James Williams (The Walking Dead) as Ally Lambert, an international law expert and talented linguist. An indispensable part of the BAU team, she makes sure that bad guys worldwide don’t slip through the murky waters of international law.

The potential spinoff, penned by Criminal Minds showrunner Erica Messer and following a globe-trotting BAU team that tends to Americans in crisis abroad, will be filmed in February as an episode of the original series to air this spring.

Since wrapping her Breaking Bad run, Gunn has guested on The Mindy Project and starred opposite David Tennant on Fox’s one-and-done Broadchurch adaptation, Gracepoint.

1. Herb Finn says:

“…following a globe-trotting BAU team that tends to Americans in crisis abroad…”

Which are actually the back-lots of Hollywood. Anyone remember that European set Desilu had…which was never used as it was off in scale – couldn’t use it for Mission :Impossible because Graves and Lupis were tall as it is! :)

2. JeffDJ says:

Well, I guess my dad won’t be watching this if it goes to series. He can’t stand Gunn.

• Fyrkat says:

I’m hoping they will do what happened to Louise Lombard with Gunn’s character. In the pilot and gone. I cannot stand her ‘acting.’
      No longer looking forward to seeing this. :-(

3. Tran says:

Great casting news. Hope Skylar White from Breaking Bad should bounce back after the cancellation of Gracepoint.

4. Dean says:

Not what I’d expect but I’m down with it.

5. I’ll say this about this Criminal Minds spinoff, the casting for the leads is much stronger than Suspect Behavior. I think Sinise and Gunn will be great as the leads. I think Suspect Behavior died because it was a carbon copy of the original with a much weaker cast. Forest Whitaker can be good at times, but he simply didn’t work in that show as the team leader IMO.

• Jimmy says:

I agree about Forest Whitaker, I thought he was much better suited for a Gideon type of role rather than a Hotch type of role; not the team leader, but still one of the leading characters. I wonder if they will consider bringing any of the characters from Suspect Behaviour to the new spinoff. If they do, I’d be down with Whitaker’s character and Michael Kelly’s character, I thought they were the best actors/characters on that show.

6. abby says:

what?!?! why oh why would anna gunn want to attach herself to some crappy procedural? geez! I mean, shows like that have their place but it’s not exactly the material I would have pictured for an actress of her caliber….

• Dys says:

The obvious answer to why she’d want to attach herself is that she probably doesn’t consider it to be crappy, and cause she’s aware that if the show is picked up and does well, (unlike Suspect Behavior), then it could potentially mean long term employment.

7. Jimmy says:

This was very unexpected, but I’m not complaining! I love Anna Gunn, I thought she was phenomenal in Breaking Bad, and I even liked her character in Gracepoint. She’s a very good actress and by the looks of the cast so far, I think this CM spinoff has some serious potential.

8. Lazy Susan says:

I think the only way a spinoff in this nature would work is if they had followed agent prentice to her new job and not just given her a couple episodes last season.

9. Irish feislady says:

Must say Sinise is the only one I would’nt cast as his character is too close to the CSI franchise, found Anne Gunn & Tyler James refreshing and great presence on screen. Not sure if they can keep up the interest for seasons to come