Post Mortems

Post Mortem: The 100 EP, Stars on Bellamy & Lincoln's 'Conflict' — Plus: Who Won't Make It to the City of Light?

The 100 Spoilers

Wednesday’s The 100 threw a series of monkey (pun intended!) wrenches into the Sky People’s plans, dividing them as a group like never before.

Below, executive producer Jason Rothenberg, along with Ricky Whittle (Lincoln) and Isaiah Washington (Jaha), discuss some of this week’s biggest twists — including Bellamy and Lincoln’s uncertain futures — and offer a sneak peek at what’s to come in the later half of Season 2.

BELLAMY & LINCOLN | Let’s begin at Mount Weather, where Bellamy and Lincoln are both in dire straits. Bellamy will find himself “in a bad way,” notes Rothenberg, and he’s “not exactly going to be very helpful” as Clarke’s inside man for the time being. Meanwhile, Lincoln — who’s still very much “a drug addict,” notes Whittle — will struggle to regain control over his actions. “There’s a big conflict coming, and whether they make it out or not is a huge question,” Rothenberg teases.

MONTY & JASPER | As for the rest of the captives in Mount Weather, don’t expect conditions to improve anytime soon — or ever. Besides Monty, whom Rothenberg admits is flat-out “screwed,” Jasper will also find himself struggling to keep going: “[He’s] going to be at his wit’s end because his best friend is missing. … That’s a story for the next episode.”

The 100 SpoilersOCTAVIA | If Octavia seemed overly pleased to be offered the position of Indra’s “second,” it’s probably because she was. “In the script, it says, ‘She finally has a place,'” explains Rothenberg. “She was, ironically, a second-born child on the Ark, which meant she … had to live under the floor, essentially as a secret, so she never belonged anywhere. She’s definitely drawn to the world of the Grounders, and her arc is one of the most exciting.”

THE CITY OF LIGHT | When something sounds too good to be true, it usually is; take, for example, the City of Light, where Jaha is now leading a small group of Sky People. “It’s going to be a brutal journey,” says Washington. “You’re going to find out quickly that this journey to the City of Light is not what … you expect.” Adds Rothenberg, “All 12 won’t make it to the end of the line.” (Gulp!)

THE ICE NATION | As if there weren’t enough potential enemies for the survivors to worry about, enter… the Ice Nation! “[They] will definitely play a role in the bigger story, but maybe not for a while,” says Rothenberg. “They’re part of the Coalition. There are 12 Grounder clans, and right now, the Ice Nation — despite what Lexa said they did to her girlfriend — [was] brought to the table anyway.”

100 fans, who do you think will be the next to die? And how are you feeling about the show’s (many) new directions? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

Reporting by Vlada Gelman

1. Kevin says:

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

2. Rose says:

My bets are on Lexa and Lincoln kicking the bucket on or before the season finale. But who knows, looks like more bodies are dropping based on JR’s comments.

• jake says:

seeing as how the actress got the lead in the spinoff of the walking dead, i cant see Lexa making it out of the season alive

• B says:

I think it was telling how Lexa explained how her successor would be chosen, I’m curious if we will meet the character before that happens

• Tamim says:

Could Clarke somehow gain her “spirit?” The she woudl be leader of the grounders and one of the adults would/could possibly lead the ppl of the Arc. some of the 100 might also want to join a Grounder/Clarke group because the ppl of the Arc may be their people, but they are also the ppl who dropped them on Earth without even a “here’s what we need from you. This is what you need to do. Good luck”

• jj says:

sort of along those same lines it would be really interesting if it was octavia, especially now that shes earned the respect of indra

• tamim says:

Really good point! Have no idea why I didn’t think of Octavia… Especially with her almost intuitive understanding of their culture and growing importance and respect in their community

• Abby says:

I think we already know her. My guess is that it will be Clarke, especially because she’s so hell-bent on holding the alliance together to keep Finn’s death from being wasted.

3. LaPiquante says:

Bellamy’s had an easy time of it so far this season. He’s been the big brother, passing out Free Hugs as needed. We love him because he was really interesting in the first season. I can’t wait to see what he’ll be doing in this back half of season 2.

4. Alichat says:

Jaha got his hands on some Kool-Aid somewhere. LOL! And did anyone else yell ‘It’s King Kong?!!” when the puana came over the hill???

5. Charissa29 says:

Glad you seem to be aware of The 100. Lincoln was so heartbreaking. Poor Bellamy. Clarke and Lexa were awesome! Yay!

6. yurie says:

The show is slowly becoming like GoT where the death of a character doesn’t shock me anymore.

7. Kerry says:

LOVE THIS SHOW!!! Can’t wait to see where they take things this season and next – every twist is a surprise and every action has a consequence. Glad to see you’re finally recapping one of the best shows on tv. I’m so looking forward to the rest of this season and the next!

8. Dominique says:

as long as Murphy survives, I’m okay. I don’t like Jaha messing with his mind. He iddn’t do it because he cares about Murphy. He just wants as many people with him as possible. and i worry it’s gonna hurt murphy.

9. B says:

i love the direction the show is taking! But seriously how did that gorilla survive all those gunshot wounds!? Haha or does clarke just have REALLY bad aim….

• tamim says:

If the bullets were relatively small caliber, they would damage muscle, but not kill. Besides, did you see how solid that creature was? It was almost like shooting a board, and she didn’t really hit a vital area. Hollywood likes to show a lot of one-shot kills, but people and animals can be much more resilient, especially when hyped on adrenalin and shot by an inexperienced shooter

10. Jammy says:

I honestly am disliking Jaha. Dude is only seeing for himself in this journey to the City Of Light. He purposely brainwashed Murphy with his noble speech cause he knows that Murphy is the easiest compared to the rest that know how to get arnd the Earth most, to get on his side! He just wants to use him.

He is willing to sacrifice the 47 but he has no right. He already sacrificed them once by sending them down to Earth as lab rats! THEY ARE NOT DISPOSABLE OR ANY LESS WORTHY OF SURVIVAL! All he wants by going to the City Of Light is to prove that he is always right and that he should be Chancellor!

Kane shld get the Sky ppl to also gain Indra’s respect. I believe the Grounders are very simple minded ppl. It likes give respect & take respect sort of way with them. So instead of trying to spy information of them, Kane and the Sky ppl shld learnt to work together and maybe build a permanent truce or ally bond while fighting the current war together!

The Sky ppl shld let the notion of wanting to be the Ruler of the Earth go. There are more of what the dont know than what they do know so if they try to be the ultimate leader they will lose. Forming alliances is better than trying to wage war with everyone. And not all arnd are bad or ruthless, Lexa giving them a truce is prove of that.

• Abby says:

I totally agree with your Jaha observations. His whole City of Light obsession doesn’t feel like a survival tactic the same way it feels like a power play.

11. Abby says:

I was absolutely convinced that Indra would die, and I’m still wondering if the writers are throwing up false flags making her a somewhat likable person after this week’s ep. That said, I’m sure we’ll see the end of Lexa, but Clarke will take over as the leader of the (to-be-13) clans, once the alliance with the Sky People hopefully sticks, and Mount Weather is (ideally) blown to smithereens without (most of) the 47 and Bellamy inside.

I am ALWAYS worried that Lincoln is going to die, in basically every single episode, and I’m not sure he’ll survive the season, either. Octavia dealing with his death would be worth watching.

The idea that Monty is “screwed” scares me, too, because I adore him, and I’m also afraid for Raven, who seems a bit more reckless now that Finn is dead. As for the grown-ups, I’ll put money on either Jaha or Abby dying before season’s end, maybe even both. And I’m pretty sure Murphy’s a dead man. Finally. Then again, his cockroach-like survival skills might just save him yet again.

12. Rebecca says:

I really hate Jaha this season. He seems to want to play god and act like he knows everything. He has this calm demeanor that scream I am above all of you. Definitely liked I have him more last season! I’m actually hoping for the City of Lights to be something he’s not expecting just so he doesn’t get to be smug and maybe humble him a bit.
    I feel really bad for Lincoln but honestly I’m terrified for Bellamy. He has always been my favourite character and while something bad had to happen to him at least one point in this season, I will be really pissed if they choose to kill him off. I think he has a much bigger story to tell.
    By far what I’m most hoping for is for Bellamy and Clarke to take the 47 once they get out and start their own society or clan to be part of the coalition. The adults have been nothing but a pain in the butt and have been my least favourite part of this season. I also hate how Bellamy seems to have been neutered. He blindly follows what Clarke or Abby says and it’s not very true to his character. Like it’s not totally off and I understand character growth but I’m really missing leader Bellamy. He’s too charismatic to be silenced the he has been. They also need more male leaders. I love the power to the female thing the show does but there should definitely be a little more equality there.

• hey says:

I couldnt agree more with u! I Love Bellamy too n the Bellamy we are seeing is not the same. He has such great leadership qualities and yet is sidelined. Me no like:( however, i do hope that in this back half of the season we see more of Bellamy retaining his leadership role over the 47.
      They had better not kill him tho:(
      I also agree about the male leader thing. Like why is there not one leader who is a male? Why cant there be an equal ratio of women n males as leaders.? Very odd