Supergirl Scoop: Jimmy Olsen to Be Played by Desperate Housewives Alum

Extra, extra, read all about it: CBS’ Supergirl has snapped up Desperate Housewives vet Mehcad Brooks to play the classic role of shutterbug Jimmy Olsen, TVLine has learned.

Supergirl‘s version of Jimmy is described as a smart, worldly photographer for CatCo, the media company where Kara — played by Glee‘s Melissa Benoist — works. He has recently been living and working in National City, though the reason is still a secret, and his salt-of-the-earth nature quickly piques Kara’s interest.

Brooks’ TV resume also includes stints on Necessary Roughness, True Blood and The Game.

Other Supergirl roles still to be cast include Kara’s science-minded foster sister, Alex; Cat Grant, the CEO of CatCo; CatCo colleague Wynn Schott; and Hank Henshaw, the Supergirl-obsessed director of the the DEO (Department of Extra-Normal Operations).

The Supergirl pilot was penned by Ali Adler (No Ordinary Family) and Greg Berlanti (Arrow), both of whom will exec-produce the series alongside Sarah Schechter (of Berlanti Productions) and Warner Bros. TV.

Your thoughts on the latest Supergirl casting? Drop ’em in the comments section below.

1. alistaircrane says:

Umm, Jimmy Olsen is NOT black!!!

• Some words in a post I’m making are preventing the post from showing up. Very strange.

• cdhaskell says:

I wish that Mehcad Brooks would be playing a original character instead of turn character from the Superman supporting cast into a PC character. Jimmy Olsen is a teenager character and not some hollywood hunk.

• If Barry Allen can date Linda Park, who for all intents and purposes should be WALLY’s age, Supergirl could date a young John Henry Irons/Steel.

• cdhaskell says:

The writer didn’t bother to created new character for the series. The whole series was borrow from the Superman series. I know that Supergirl was a spin-off from the Superman series. There is so many character that the writer could have used instead of changing a teen-age into college hunk. It is no wonder that the Supergirl the series isn’t getting the best press release. I will be surprised and shock if the Supergirl the series become a hit.

• Joe says:

It’s been 8 episodes. Are you shocked yet?

• I am still surprised and shock that Supergirl the series is still on the air. Her rogue gallery are getting more interested. I wish that that the 52 Supergirl comics was facing this kind of rogue gallery. The actress who play Cat Grant have got to be one of the biggest surprised. She make her role come alive. Good luck in 2016.

• cdhaskell says:

It was thank to the new 52 that was the reason why Supergirl and Jimmy Olsen became a teenager again. In the flashback story in the Action Comics Jimmy Olsen look like he is pre-teen because the story is suppose to be about Superman first year as a heroes in Metropolis. The relationship of Jimmy Olsen and Lucy Lane is buried and forgotten. For some Supergirl went from being somewhere between 19-21 year old but when she debut in the new 52 she is somewhere between 15- 19 years. I lost count how many time that Supergirl was going back to school for one reason or other. I hope to god that the writer don’t revival Nasty Lex Luthor’s older sister’s daughter for the Supergirl’s new series.

• cdhaskell says:

The reason why both Superboy and Supergirl keep coming back from the so-called dead and still look the same because they still make money for DC/WB. Since new 52 debut the supporting cast have become a joke. I hope that in June 2015 that both title will get the same creative team and started created a supporting cast and some interested rogue gallery.

• cafeeine says:

More to the point, They keep getting rebooted because they are “teen” heroes that can never graduate to adulthood, because that spot is already taken by Superman. So they take a turn, they grow old untill they maybe reach young adulthood and then they are restarted in a modern twist.
          Comic characters are all about reimaginings.

• cdhaskell says:

It is no wonder that the original Superboy and Supergirl never ages past their teen year(he is 16 year while she is 19 year old.). I was glad that there is a new Superboy because his future is a blank while the original Superboy will become the man of steel. It would be interested to see if DC Comics don’t bring back Lucy Lane as Superwoman in the near future. Superwoman was one of the most interested member in the small Supergirl Rogue Gallery. the writer never got around to tell why Lucy Lane hated Supergirl so much. I know that she love General Sam Lane so much and she sound like she wanted to top her older sister Lois Lane so much.

• Well, DC tried bringing back the classic Superboy (i.e. Clark as Superboy) with Secret Origin, but they failed and since the new 52 reboot, that version hasn’t shown up, has it?

• cdhaskell says:

The interested why no one don’t love the Supergirl series is the writer didn’t developed or created anything new for the Supergirl series. Her supporting cast came from the Superman supporting cast. Her rogue gallery sound like the writer is borrowing from the Superman/Justice League individual rogue gallery. Ex. Lumberjack which no one having seen since 1980(WW 268). The writer forgot that Supergirl indeed have a boyfriend and his friends is Dick Malverine. I believe that his birth name was DIck Wilson. The writer took the easy route. I wouldn’t shock if the Superman appear don’t increase the rating that CBS don’t created spin-off series.

• cdhaskell says:

You have to ask the writer who created and name Jon Lane Kent in the Superboy comics book. I wanted to know will Superboy be using his Connor Kent again when DC Comics decided to reboot in June 2015?

• cdhaskell says:

Suddenly DC Comics decide to changes both Lobos and Deathstokes again. They also decide to back Jethros from the dead again. I don’t know why they killed anyone when several month later they return from the death like it was nothing.

• cdhaskell says:

I agree with you about lack of editorial and bad writing. If the writer need to change Jimmy Olsen race that they should have hired a teenage actor who match the ages of Jimmy Olsen in the comics book. Mehcad Brooks should got another name to play Supergirl boy-friends.

• cdhaskell says:

Dick Malverne would have be the perfect name for Mehcad Brooks to play instead using Jimmy Olsen the teenager from the Superman comics book. Dick Malverne would have be the someone that was revival from the old Supergirl comic book series. I hope that with all the uproar that the writer decide to use Dick Malverne name instead but we both know that it will not happened.

• cdhaskell says:

I got a bad feeling that all the villains/villainess will be people that who will come from the lesser know type that appear in the individual DC Comics who wasn’t seen in a very long time like Lumberjack who came from WW#268(1980). I would be interested to see if any of other DC heroes/heroine will appear in the Supergirl series.

• cdhaskell says:

I will be shock and surprised that Supergirl ‘s first three episode is a hit. Supergirl series have borrow too many thing from Superman comics book and not one original thought came from the writer. Her ID was Linda Lee Danver and now she is called Kara Danver. First name is too much like her kryptons name(Kara Zor-El) and earth name.(Kara Danver.) I can’t wait to see what she will look like she is being Kara Danver.

• Cheyenne says:

Kind of looks like he is. Guess you’ll have to deal with it.

• carl weathers says:

Up yours for 75 years hes looked a certain way. Guess if wonderwoman is now a hispanic male youd have to “deal with it”

• jimmy woo says:

When no one watches and it is cancelled…I guess you will have to deal with it.

• No one? A lot of people are excited by this casting. I was already going to watch, this doesn’t change that. People moan and cry about these changes and after awhile it goes away. I.E.Iris West on The Flash.

• Brandy says:

Nah, people are still complaining but Iris being black, but they’re watching The Flash nonetheless.

• Some continue to, others have realized it’s not likely she is going anywhere and have begrudgingly accepted it.

• Iris West in The Flash is a character I believe to be one that is color blind as long as the actress is true to the personality and demeanor of the character as originally written but only to an extent. I mean I would not cast Queen Latifa in the role and not because of color but acting style in general and that goes regardless of color. Even if a supporting role or less prominent character is one that can be color blind there must be other actors in those prominent rolea that have chemistry together to make it work. Guess that is a given no matter what.

• Grey says:

Excellent, Cheyenne. :-)

• Joey says:

Well I guess that didn’t take long.

• Tai says:

I know. I thought there would be at least one other comment before the “no, fictional character can’t be another race because reasons!!!” posts started popping up. Guess I grossly underestimated the outrage over the race of comic book characters once again.

• Lucifer says:

Yeah, just like when everyone lost their minds over Khan in Star Trek Into Darkness or Bane in The Dark Knight Rises being played by white people. #fictionalcharacters

• Lizo says:

No, in those cases they took characters of colour and cast them with white guys. That is NOT okay. There are so few characters of colour, to take them away from their communities is whitewashing. It’s racist. However, casting an actor of colour for a traditionally white role, is fine because we white people have a lot of white representations on tv.

• Lizo says:

Particularly with Khan – his name is KHAN!!! That is a surname of a particular racial identity.
            And the people who were upset about Khan are NOT the same people who are upset about Olsen. The former are left-wing liberal communists, and the latter are racist homophobic white people.

• Lucifer says:

Lizo,

You are right, Khan is a surname of a specific ethnicity, originating from Central and Western Asia. However, Ricardo Montalban was not Asian, he was Mexican.

In the case of Bane, we never saw him without his mask. So just like Electro in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, race was not an issue because the actors were cloaked for the entirety of the movie.

How on earth could you possibly know who the people are that are complaining about various cases? Just because you might be a “left-wing liberal communist” does not mean everyone upset about Khan was as well. And just because people are upset that a white character was cast with a black actor (who has zero attributes to the character, race aside) does not mean they are all white, racist, homophobes. I remember Wendy Williams say that they shouldn’t cast black people in white roles, so maybe she has “internalized” something or whatnot. I don’t even understand where “homophobic” came from in this context because Jimmy is no gay, unless you were referring to your fanfiction?

If they want to cast Jimmy Olsen as black, fine, go a head. But it’s funny how double standards and hypocrisy always plague race-swap castings no matter the race.

• Lizo: Long post, don’t know if limit so may have to break into multi posts to get all off chest. Been reading thru these comments and wanted to put my 2 cents in on the Jimmy Olsen comment in an articulate and diplomatic/color blind way, however using examples to make my points. First let me say that comments about Khan throw me off as since as far as I know he was only ever play by Montelban, a spanish actor in the 1967 episode and movie, who by the way did great and I did not like the guy in the new Into Darkness movie. Written to be of Indian decent the actor chosen did excellent job and despite any comments any of you made using this example I believe they do not belong in the conversation to the extent that Roddenberry and the Star Trek franchise still made huge in roads as far as race went!

My next point goes to the comments saying roles are blocked to black actors. I absolutely believe this is bull in this day and age. I do believe there is a double standard and again am tired of it. This standard IMHO is that because of past sins then in many folks minds we must continuously pay for those sins and hear about them for the rest of time and hence in these minds it is payback or only right to cast blacks(or other races) into traditionally white roles regardless of the artistic impact or character history but not the other way around! Back to roles being blocked, let me just give some examples of white roles that have over the past years been recast to black: 1) entire caste Steal Magnolias, 2) Annie, 3) Nick Fury, 4) Cinderella, 5) Johnny Storm – Fantasic Four, 6) Heimdall – Thor 7) Red – Shawshank Redemption 8) Agent J – Men in Black 9) Kingpin – Daredevil 10) Jackie Brown 11) Phantom of the Opera 12) Harvey Dent – Batman 13) entire cast of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 14) entire cast of Street Car Named Desire 15) entire cast Wizard of Oz in The Wiz 16) McCall – The Equalizer 17) Ironside. There are many more but by now you should be getting the point! Let me first say I have no problem with a change of any color as long as it does not mess up the character too much and many characters can be seen as color blind regardless of how they were originally written or imagined by the artist/writer. For example from the above examples, I believe Denzel Washington as McCall in the reimagined movie was way better than the boring original from the 80s, nothing wrong with Kingpin, Jackie Brown, Agent J or Nick Fury. Can’ say the same for many of the others. As far as Jimmy Olsen goes, I say without seeing it yet on screen yet that from the looks of the actor and past roles he is not a fit regardless of colo(wrong look acting range, and demeanor) but maybe he proves me wrong after I see him in the role, however he should not get the role either because of any feeling of need to be diverse. I do believe that the Jimmy Olsen character is one that can be color blind but with the right fit unless they are re-writing the whole character around the actor which is wrong! Jimmy has always been that awkward, nerdy, and naive young kid type that does not look like a football playing jock! All of this being said to this point, there are characters that should never be changed for diversity or any other reason and very many of these would be comic book heros! As far as the double standard goes, all these above roles are considered absolutely deserved, righteous, and a right by many people regardless of the artistic cost. However, if there were, for example, a re-make of say The Cosby Show, The Jeffersons, or Goodtimes with all white actors there would be riots in the streets about how a race is being robbed of their beloved characters and we’d never hear the end of it!! That is how the standard works, and as I said, I am tired of it and tired of hearing it for the past there is some kind of entitlement for all time. Lizo proves my my point about double standard and reactions and on top of it makes the comment about how few characters, blah blah..

I welcome comments for debate!

• cafeeine says:

But Tai! We’re talking about a character that in the comics turns into rubber and to a turtle boy. How can you do that with a *gasp* black guy??! Totally unrealistic!

What I’m concerned with is the “feminist crime procedural” tag. “Supergirl” can definitely work in that direction, but I don’t know if it will be handled well.

• eye says:

Allistaircrane is incapable of not complaining

• Joey says:

He only likes super campy stuff. His username is based off of a character on the defunct soap opera Passions, so you can’t expect much.

• Cobra says:

Somehow I knew something idiotic like that would be the first comment on here.

• Angela B says:

But… But… Mehcad is a really good actor and a handsome man. The color of his skin bothers you in spite of it?

• Claire says:

WORDDDDDDDDDD.

Honestly, I don’t give two hoots in most cases what race the actor cast is, as long as he’s a good fit for the part, which is why I’m bemused/impatient with how upset people get over race in casting.

Having said that, black people have historically been nearly *completely* blocked from onscreen roles so in that sense I’m glad it’s Mehcad Brooks.

Much more than that, though? He was INCREDIBLE on Necessary Roughness, I kept thinking “where did they find this guy?”, even as a main character he kept stealing scenes from all the other characters, has that rare hard-to-describe movie star quality. Also showcased a huge range of emotions so I’m really glad to see him cast here.

• Claire,
          Agree with first part of your post the rest is as I said in my long reply above bull. You too prove my point about the double standard with your comment about how black actors have been “historically completely blocked from onscreen roles”. In my post, I give both historical and current facts that prove your comment to be utterly and completely wrong with a basis in naive feelings without checking the facts. I add this one other point, look at the number of TV series today that are diversified and the number of shows with all black lead and supporting roles in primetime, and you will see they are up 23% over this span to 29% overall!! Can’t tell me changes haven’t been made. Numbers say it all, and acting and being a good actor is not based on your color. Should not get a role just for being of any color because people perceive there are not enough of them on tv.

• Dys says:

He clearly is now.

• I’m more bothered that he’s bald.

• James says:

He wasn’t Canadian either.

• TheDuck says:

He also doesn’t live in “National City,” there’s no CatCo in the comics, and Hank Henshaw was an astronaut, not a government bureaucrat. It’s an adaptation, and they’re going to change the characters as they see fit (did you get as upset at “Jenny Olsen” in Man of Steel?). But their Jimmy better wear a bow tie! (If you don’t understand that reference, go ask a comic fan who remembers the pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths Jimmy Olsen…)

• Rick Katze says:

Historically you are correct but times have changed and, while I don’t think the character could be transformed into a girl without a significant change in the character’s style, in todays world, race is irrelevant.

• puck says:

And Jesus isn’t white! Why don’t you grow up and focus on real life instead of fictional comic book characters.

• Jazz says:

Lmao and Moses isn’t white but according to the recent movie Exodus *Gasp* guess what?! Things change! If the movie industry can change things so can T.V. so grow up!

• WayneAdneyC says:

Uhm, I don’t believe the Bible actually said if Moses was white or not. And he hailed from Israel so he may be slightly more towards an Arab-tan color than totally Caucasian White.

• Paul says:

Agreed! This isn’t about race, it’s about representing an established character. It’d be like if they chose Margaret cho to play supergirl, if you want a black male in the series, create one, don’t take a character who everyone knows and change it because it’s the PC thing to do… Lame move

• cafeeine says:

People keep saying its not about race, but I don’t see anyone throwing a fit about the show being a “crime procedural” Since when is Supergirl a detective? Cat Grant has her own business? Since when was Hank Henshaw the head of an alien-hunting Govt agency? Kara has a foster sister??

None of those changes mattered, but the actor did. its almost as if race really was a factor…

• Ray Beisgen says:

Agreed! That’s like making Perry White and Superman black. Doesn’t make any sense.

• cdhaskell says:

In the last Superman movie Larry Fishbourne was playing Perry White like it was nothing. It look like Jimmy Olsen was replace by Jenny Olsen in the film. The producer forgot that Jimmy Olsen is a teenage buddy and not some hot looking hunk in his early 30’s. I wish that the Supergirl producer give him a new name instead getting someone from the Superman’s supporting cast. It is no wonder that Supergirl/Kon-El got smallest supporting cast/rogue gallery.

• Blame DC editorial staff. The only characters they care about are Batman and Superman. All the others can be reinvented over and over, that’s why Supergirl has no consistency.

• cdhaskell: Many established supporting roles in comic books and books or tv/movies in general are color blind. Not all but many of them if the time and effort goes into finding a fit for that role regardless of color. I believe that Perry White and Jimmy Olsen are 2 such roles and Fishbourne did fine in the part of Perry White. However, the choice here for Olsen does not look to me to be a fit at all and not because of color but because of build/look, acting range/past, and overall acting resume. I would no more want to see Jensen Ackles or Jared Padelecki(sp?) in the Olsen role for the same reason. So you are absolutely right that he does not seem to fit the overall look or feel of Olsen. I don’t believe that prime roles supporting or otherwise are interchangeable and should not be change like for example Lois Lane and of course Superman/Supergirl.

• Ron says:

Agreed I will not watch if they make them a love interest story.

• Jesus, is black, and white folk do movies about Christ being Caucasian all
      the time and you don’t see more than 2% of blacks speaking about this, and
      yet some of you simple folk are going crazy about a fantasy tv showing using
      creative license to make their show represent the changing racial population
      of America….. Wow……

2. Hipper says:

wasn’t he the one who got kicked off DH for behavioral issues?

• danyelle says:

No, that was Page Kennedy. Way to mix up your black actors. #2015

• Josh says:

This casting isn’t terrible because he’s black. That doesn’t matter. It’s terrible because he’s not Jimmy Olsen. Olsen isn’t a tall, muscular stud. He’s the ultimate BETA Male. He’s skinny, a bit spastic, a little hopeless and somehow who idolizes the ultimate Alpha Male. To cast this guy is just going against EVERYTHING the character is.

Tyler James Williams would have been an amazing choice if they were casting color blind(instead of just blind period). He’s got that nerdy feel, he’s a great actor, and he looks like Jimmy in everything but skin and hair color. And a not typical beta male as a love interest for Supergirl would have been pretty interesting.

Instead they go the boring route, cast a pretty boring actor and give us the “stud for her to fall in love with”…

Just a terrible move.

• Lucifer says:

It’s not too hard with that one since they played siblings and they had both only been in 1-2 episodes at the time of the controversy. It’s not like they were on two completely different shows or storylines.

• Jonny says:

No, that was the original actor that played his brother on the show.

Also, can we stop with the BS about actors of color playing FICTIONAL characters? I’m getting really tired of that mess. Please and thanks.

3. LaPiquante says:

Yeeeesss! That’s it. I’ve just decided I adore Greg Berlanti. He’s using his power for good! Creating greater diversity in television. Casting roles with the best actors for the job, not just the best-as-traditionally-pictured. LOVE HIM!! If he ever does a New-Starbuck-style casting change, he might just be my favorite forever.

• Meh. He could accomplish ” greater diversity in television” if he cast someone to play the role of Natasha Irons, for instance. That way you’d have diversity AS WELL as more characters from the comics showing up in other media, both without altering established characters.

• Rob Watkins says:

His color isn’t an issue, his age is. Why the hell did they hire a 34 year old man to play someone who should be fresh out of either high school or college? This is more than an irrelevant detail, it’s a defining trait of Jimmy Olson.

• LaPiquante says:

Jimmy is young with Superman, but this is Supergirl, so to me it makes sense that he’s a little older. I actually like that quite a bit. It’s a different angle than we’ve seen, and I’m looking forward to the stories they can tell.

• cdhaskell says:

I wish that Jimmy Olsen was closer to Supergirl’s ages. I can’t wait to see how the writer will developed his background.

• Lizo says:

Yes. He’s earned some serious fan love from me for the diversity on his shows and then the complexities of their characters (women, POC’s, etc). That and delivering awesome TV.

4. Tim says:

Hopefully he’s been taking some acting classes since true blood

5. christine says:

Why bother to call him Jimmy Olsen?

6. A. D. says:

::SIGH::

7. christine says:

I dont understand the need to name the character Jimmy Olsen. He doesnt look like Jimmy and the character described doesnt sound like Jimmy Olsen either. Seems silly. I dont care if he is asian, black or white….he isnt Jimmy

• Josh says:

*high five*…Thank you! That’s my issue too. Why not just have him be a separate character/love interest instead of Jimmy. To me, as a nerdy, not muscular and tall comic book fan I find that insulting. Jimmy had a kind of “us”ness to him, just a bit more beta and hopeless. Why not keep him the same(personality, I don’t care about his skin color) and still have him be a love interest too?

Imagine if this would happen to a famous, not drawn hot, female character?

• thatbitch says:

“Imagine if this would happen to a famous, not drawn hot, female character?”

Seriously?

• Josh says:

Seriously. I think ‘not drawn hot’ was a poor word choice because I was in a rush but I’m talking of a woman who’s drawn like a normal human being(who could, yes be hot but I’m talking comic hot; perfect body, perfect face aka). Someone like Gert from Runaways, who’s drawn to look like a normal teenage girl(pretty IMO, but not someone you’d ever see on the ‘Hollywood standard of beauty obsessed’ CW). I do think their would be more outrage if a female character like Gert’s personality and look was changed to be more ‘hollywood sexy’ because we’re instinctively more aware of that sort of injustice.

But I think there is an injustice in this too…I could have definitely said it better but that’s pretty much what I meant. This is getting a pass that wouldn’t be allowed(in a good way) for a female character.

• oliveyaalone says:

They actually do that all the time. All the time bro. And especially on the small screen. Even supposedly ‘homely’ girls have most ideal body types wear make up all the time blah blah blah.

• Claire says:

This is a good point Josh and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise

8. cdhaskell says:

Good luck to Mehcad Brooks on becoming Jimmy Olsen. I wish that he got more original name than borrowing from the Superman comics book. He is a teenager while James Olsen is an adult.

9. Aisha says:

I was literally thinking how far down I’d have to go for someone to be racist about it (whilst maybe pretending comic books are real) and it’s the first comment. I’m so glad to be living in a post racial society.

• Cobra says:

Come on! Did your really think you’d have to scroll that far? I knew the idiocy would start immediately within the first two comments, and lo-and-behold, I was right.

• Tai says:

Didn’t you know? Racism is dead! Except not really at all.

Except this isn’t racism. No, they’re mad because Jimmy Olsen is supposed to be white. The comic books told us so! Just because they’re fictional characters doesn’t mean you can go changing stuff around. And yeah, I can’t even pretend to defend that nonsense. The hoopla over fictional characters is ridiculous and insulting but whatever.

• Lucifer says:

• Tai says:

Was I supposed to argue with that? I get the reasoning why people were upset but at the end of the day, they picked two talented actors to play those roles.

But I do get why some people get upset about white washing of the very few characters of color. There are so few versus the endless number of cacausian characters. I don’t see why it’s a big deal when one of the hundreds of white characters is protrayed by an actor of color.

I also don’t get why when the argument pops up, people feel the need to bring up stuff like what if they made Luke Cage white. I don’t see how they’re even remotely the same but whatever. I love our post racism world.

• Alsha, Cobra
      You both prove points I have made all over this discussion yet again!!! What exactly makes that first statement racist with no context in the statement to base that on when the statement is in fact a true one??? Answer me that please and if you answer do not just say because it is. If this was a traditionally black character cast as white the first statement probably would have been similar except in my mind the statement would have probably been blatantly reverse racist in nature with much more in the statement than the simple short true statement above! God I get tired of hearing it.

10. Josh says:

Just a terrible move.

• StephonJS says:

This head line is wrong. because other sources are saying he’isnt playing Jimmy but james. a whole different character

• Josh says:

It’s not though. It’s Jimmy Olsen(who’s been called James Olsen more than a few times). Why call him James Olsen if he isn’t at all like Jimmy?

• Ian Barber says:

Thank you – you hit the nail on the head exactly. I really like Mehcad (thought he was great on True Blood & Desperate Housewives), but he’s just not Jimmy.

• Confused on some points. Is supergirl’s love interest jimmy olsen? Never heard of this or seen this before. Thought Jimmy’s love interest was Lana Lane? Am I wrong here? In the 1984 movie wasn’t her love interest someone named Ethan? Supergirl is supposed to be like 19-20 yrs of age to stay within the realm of the character as written and as cast Jimmy Olsen is old enough to be her dad! Not to mention Jimmy Olsen as originally written should be around that same age as Supergirl. Lots does not add up color aside.Agree with all josh said about being blind period. This casting choice is just plain terrible all the way around and especially if the love interest crap is written into the show.

11. ggny says:

Who cares it is Jimmy Olsen. He could use a remake. Great casting

12. ggny says:

Once again people. It is Jimmy Olsen one of the dumbest characters in Comic Book history. Im glad they are making him different from the lame comic version. I just wish they casted a 6’7 120lb Albino Latino in the role would make him even more interesting then the lame comic book Jimmy Olsen

13. Tran says:

Bad casting call. Should have cast an all-american white actor to play Jimmy Olsen.

14. Joesph says:

What’s up, after reading this amazing paragraph i am as
    well happy to share my experience here with colleagues.

15. justsomeguy says:

I’m in now. Mehcad Brooks is an awesome actor.

16. Dennis says:

You guys are so rude. No one cared when they cast a black guy to play Clark Kent’s best friend in SMALLVILLE back in 2001… why all the fuss now?!

• Midnitebreeze says:

Because the world is terrible

• Drew says:

Pete Ross isn’t nearly as iconic as Jimmy Olsen. You didn’t even remember his name!
      And that aside, deciding to cast Sam Jones III probably seemed really progressive at the time, but t he turned out to be a horrible actor who didn’t fit in with the rest of the cast, and they had to ditch him.
      Good example.

• Ashbash says:

That’s not what happened with Sam Jones III. From what the producers said the reason they wrote off Pete after the 3rd season was due to the fact that they wrote his character in a hole by revealing Clark’s secret to him so early (season 2) they didn’t know how to use Pete or how to incorporate him in storylines so they wrote him off for lack of storyline ideas. They’ve done interviews about that and have stated they regret revealing Clark’s secret to Pete that early because it screwed up the storyline. There weren’t any problems with him fitting in with the cast or his acting (it was the WB for god’s sake all the acting was terrible).

• Drew says:

They can say all they want, but that was not the problem with the character. He was horribly written from the start, Jones brought nothing to the role to help matters (horrible acting) and he had zero chemistry with the other actors. I don’t need interviews to solve that puzzle. All I need is to watch the show.

• Crest says:

You are wrong Sam Jones was a good actor with great chemistry with the cast especially Allison Mack and Tom Welling. He fitted perfectly into the smallville cast (his personal problems aside) he was a good casting for the show. His character was written off, for a lot of reasons black characters are: racism, Pete was a very important character for Clark Kent but they chose to go with Chloe instead, a white girl. There was room for both of them, but they chose to give a bigger role to a white character, leaving Pete/Sam with nothing.

• Drew says:

Yeah… It was raaaaacism.
            I’ve seen more natural line delivery from rocks, but he was written off because the person who showed actual personality was white. Totally racist. Evil, evil racism. I hate racism so much. Is that racist against racism?

17. Lizo says:

Great casting choice!!! He’s super charismatic.

18. OMG! I’m so excited by this casting. Loved him in DH, and I think he’ll be great for Jimmy. By the way, I love how Greg Berlanti is working towards making casting more diverse. There are hundreds of thousands of white characters and roles to go around, so there’s nothing wrong with changing a few of them up. Love that he acknowledged he’s taking a play from Shonda Rhimes’ book, too. ;)

19. The Viewing Public says:

the kid playing The Flash is the uber Beta male, which is Jimmy Olsen

20. Drew says:

Jimmy Olsen is an iconic comic book character who has rarely ever been done properly on television. Just like with any potential Wally West, they’ve changed the character’s image, which is what defines these characters. Why do they keep swapping out the redheads? It isn’t like they’re over represented on TV.
    I am all for color blind casting, except when the look of the character is important. With this casting, there is nothing “Jimmy Olsen” so why bother even using that character?
    And why are people jumping to call it racist to hold this opinion? I would be just ad upset to see Cyborg played by a scrawny white dude.

• Midnitebreeze says:

Their skin colour defines their image?!…..

• Drew says:

Yes. When a character spends 80 years as ink on paper, the colors tend to matter. And you know perfectly well that people would have the same issue is John Stewart was white.
        Jimmy Olsen is a small, kinda geeky redhead. This dude is a six foot three underwear model. Even if we put colors aside, how is this Jimmy Olsen?

• Drew says:

I think my phone auto corrected half a sentence away there… I meant to say “if John Stewart were being played by a white guy”

• Grow up bro, its not that big of a deal…and people complain about whitewashing because there is not much diversity when it comes to significant roles. Normally people of colour are thrown in small side kick/friend/mammy roles, so its good to see them in bigger ones for a change. As for the 80 years history you are talking about, people were much more biased back then so there was not much representation…its about changing all that.

• RichieS says:

Redheads were ruined forever on television with the character of Ralph Malph on Happy Days.

21. Err, this is horrible casting. Everyone knows Jimmy Olsen is not bald.

22. Liz says:

So I don’t know who jimmy Olsen is….and I loved this actor on necessary roughness. That being said I get how people get attached to a character and what they perceive as how they should look/act/be. I don’t necessarily think everyone who objects is doing so because they are an evil white racists. It’s possible that this will be a horrible casting move. But I think people should wait to see the actor in the role before writing him off. He could surprise you…

23. PC bullsh/t ruining everything says:

Goddamnit.

24. Karen Douds says:

Happy to see that Mehcad Brooks is back on TV. I loved him on Necessary Roughness (I loved the show in general, hated to see it cancelled). After all this uproar blows over, I hope he and the show do well.

25. The problem isn’t his skin (though it is an issue as it fails to properly reflect the character).

The problem isn’t his age (pfft, older man, younger woman, who cares? And 34 year old as a “cub reporter” is also not a big deal in today’s world in which 35 year olds will ask you if you want fries with your burger).

The problem is that it’s Jimmy Olsen, aka Superman’s Pal, slumming it in a Supergirl TV show. This character (Supergirl, not Jimmy) sucks SO hard and it’s so worthless, that she doesn’t even have her OWN supporting character, she has to steal them from the Superman comics.

Supergirl and Jimmy as romantic whatevers is like if Superman romanced Vicky Vale and Batman went out on dates with Iris West (or, more on point, Barry Allen went out with Linda Park, which is also crap). Supergirl lacks her own lobster, to quote Phoebe from Friends, so the people making this show had to scramble to find one and settled on Jimmy.

• He’s a photographer, not a reporter. Woman comic characters get treated like crap. I’m far from a feminist, but they do crap to Wonder Woman they’d never do to Batman. Change her cast, change her job, she was a spy for Pete’s sake. They’ve turned Batgirl into a selfie taking 20 year-old. With the right writer, Supergirl can be awesome.

• Supergirl was awesome – when Peter David wrote her comic and she wasn’t Kryptonian.

• He was great until he depowered her and started that Angel stuff.

• Michael Sacal
          I think you are mistaken, when supergirl was introduced first in 1959 she was kryptonian and superman’s cousin but has gone thru many reboots and retelling over all the years finally coming back to the original storyline for the most part with some obvious tweaks and changes, but from krypton none the less. The original writer was Otto Binder.The Peter David version was written in 1996 and was short lived fyi…

• Actually, you’re mistaken. The Peter David version was for about 81 issues, making it the longest version of a Supergirl title EVER. The series with Kara Zor-El in the lead were cancelled long before they reached that high a number. you can verify that by doing a simple search for them on any online store or database. The Supergirl series that began in 2005 was cancelled with issue 67. The one from 72 with issue 9. The one from 82 with issue 23.

• cafeeine says:

Moreover, the Matrix Supergirl did not originate with the solo series, she appeared in comics in 1988, which means she had a 14 year run, nothing to sneeze at.

• Michael Secal, you are correct in that the Peter David version of supergirl had the longest contiguous run of that particular storyline with 81 issues and 7 years. However point I was making that in the beginning she was kryptonian except for the Peter David version which is short lived considering all other version combine to run for 52 years albeit not continuous but with same themes: a kryptonian from the beginning to today. So you are also incorrect about her not being krypotonian when orignally she was and is in todays versions from 2005-now. Can’t erase the other 52 years because of a 7 year run of another writers vision.

• cdhaskell says:

I know that she was born on Kandor City which was born of Krypton planet. Kandor CIty became some of space city until the kryptonsite in the city ground started to killed everyone in the city. Suddenly Supergirl is older than Superman but still in her teen year. WB/CBS decide to debut her in a new series that borrow all her supporting cast / rogue gallery came from the Superman/ JLA individual rogue gallery that I bet you only the very loyal fan will remember. I going to wish that the new series all the luck in the world.

• SG is borrowing heavily from the Superman mythos because she has none of her own. The editors have allowed whatever writers she has had to recreate her world, much like Batgirl. They really do not know what to do with her. I see this as yet another alternate universe. SG has no noted rogues, friends, employment, etc. Canon is what they make of it. Kind of exciting.

• cdhaskell says:

You make my point. Supergirl series borrow so many thing from the Superman comics series that CBS should called it the New Superman series or worst Superwoman series. I thought that the writer will developed her own supporting cast,believble rogue gallery and make her hometown her own. I know that I would be wrong but it sound like she will be living in Metropolis,KS or either New York City look-a-like. The writer didn’t bother to revival the character from the old Supergirl comics as her boy friend Dick Malverne(I believe that his original last name was Wilson.)

• cdhaskell says:

Mehcad Brooks is a hot looking hunk and he is in mid 30. Jimmy Olsen is now in his mid teen which I still believe that he was giving a differ name than James Olsen. Thank to the uproar the show will have a good chance of getting interested rating because of all the uproar. I can’t wait to see how people who will DVR/VCR the show. I could be wrong but oversea market will also help save the show.

26. Robert says:

You know why Jimmy was white for 75 years? Because in the 30s, black characters were just about forbidden, especially as major characters and especially as major heroes. It wasn’t until the 60s when black characters started to gradually get added. If they had to make it all over again, I can guarantee a lot of the white characters would probably be a different ethnicity or race.

• That’s really ultimately irrelevant. The show doesn’t NEED to use Olsen, they could have created a new character that was black.

• Drew says:

Why not create some really great black characters who can become truly iconic on their own merits, rather than swapping out known characters and calling it diversity? They completely changed Wally West on a genetic level in the comics, and simply slapped the name on him as though that made him the same character, but it doesn’t. These characters are iconic images and I think that true progress would be to allow a diverse group of new characters make names for themselves. Why should minorities have to settle for charity and table scraps in these stories?
      Taking a somewhat awkward, geeky, pale skinned, freckle faced, second fiddle character and turning him into a Calvin Klein model, male lead type of character doesn’t make him the same character. It makes it an entirely new character, riding the coat tails of a known name.

27. murley says:

Well like I lot of people I am not remotely surprised but still disappointed to read the typical “wha??? But he’s black!” comments. Sigh. I always loved the character of Jimmy Olsen and I don’t really care if they cast a black actor in the role. I am curious about the description of the character laid out here coupled with the actor’s look (tall, handsome, I feel like he often plays charming characters) and I wonder if he will retain any of the goofy eagerness of the jimmy Olsen i think of. It seems like a little bit of a departure from the archetype but i will wait and see how it plays out in the show before I judge.

28. Kal-El says:

I’m more upset about them calling the place “National City.” I get that they can’t call it Metropolis with the movies and all that but National City!? Anybody else bothered by this? I still can’t get over Starling City on Arrow. That’s no less realistic than Star City, but this takes it to another level.

• DigificWriter says:

They didn’t take Metropolis and give it a different name. National City and Metropolis (which does exist in the show’s universe along with Superman) are completely different places that are “halfway across the country” from each other.

• Kal-El says:

Wait, so is National City an actual DC place with a hero protecting it and everything, because I’ve never heard of it, and that’s saying something?

• National City sounds stupid.

29. Ashbash says:

Clearly no one read the article with the character descriptions that was on TVline a few months ago because I’m pretty sure that it described the Jimmy Olsen in this serious as sexy and alpha male. If you’re this heartbroken over one character being changed then stick to the comic books and their original interpretations. It’s all about how the show is written and acted these days not how the original characters were described and it’s all just someone’s interpretation. I mean I’m still waiting for a batman that is as good looking,similar looking, and with the same personality as the 90s cartoon one but has there been one yet…No. Am I still watching batman movies yes because I love the stories not the character descriptions. I mean on TV we’ve had a non-blonde Oliver Queen, a Felicity Smoak that is being romanced by the Atom and Green Arrow, a Black Iris West, a police detective Eddie Thawne, we’ve had a non-red headed half Asian Lana Lang, and a Black Pete Ross. So what’s the problem with a brunette Supergirl and a Black and sexy Jimmy Olsen it’s not like they’ve been sticking to the comic description over the last decade.

• Drew says:

Again they sacrificed the redhead with Lana… What is this habit they have of offering up the redheads? We need more redheads on TV! Talk about an underrepresented minority!

• Christy says:

lmao i hope ur joking redheads are not a minority they still fall under the category of “white people”
        Sure seeing more of them could be nice especially for redheads but they’re simply not a minority

30. Sebastian says:

He’d look weird with red hair.

31. Walsh says:

I think you’re all missing the point, this is not being diverse at all because its only black people being pandered too. Why do we not see any Japanese, Chinese, Latino, Hispanic, Indian, Pakistani etc…people ever being cast in these roles?

This is a poor excuse for diversity and progression, simply race swapping characters for a quick fix. You need to create and build new individual characters not mess around with established ones. It will blow up in your face eventually because more and more people are getting fed up with this and they won’t watch these things.

32. jimmy woo says:

Race changing is racist. Accusing people who dislike race changing, as racist, is racist as well.
    Why do they not use African American characters? There are plenty in comics.

Fed up.

33. Azerty says:

Yes the actor is black, but it’s okay, he is not the real Jimmy Olsen, he is his big brother Henry James “Jimmy” Olsen! (I do miss Smallville). No just kidding but what bother me the most is that he is not working at the Daily Planet…

• DigificWriter says:

Why does the character having moved on from the Planet bother you? That’s like being bothered by Daniel Radcliffe taking on roles beyond that of Harry Potter.

34. aw says:

I prefer a different character that’s not Jimmy Olsen in Supergirl. Jimmy Olsen character belongs in smallville, not Supergirl.

35. Daisy Day says:

hes too old for Jimmy Olsen. Jimmy was boyish and sweet looking. He’s kind of creepy looking.

36. Jane says:

Great, first the girl from glee now this fugly terrible actor from true blood. This show sounds like a disaster

37. Good lord! This is horrible casting. This isn’t an issue of race. It is an issue of casting someone to play an established character that looks nothing like original. There are black DC characters that this guy could have played without the backlash. He could have been John Stewart, Cyborg, Mr. Terrific, Steel, Black Lighting, Static, Icon, or even Aqualad.

• Gail says:

I think in TV adaptions of comic books the writers like to use a comic book character name without it relating much to the character in the comics. For example Barry Allen’s new girl friend is named Linda Parks, who in the comics was Wally West’s wife. Jimmy Olsen was Superman’s Pal, which when Superman was portrayed as older, now seems kind of creepy. A different time, when writers thought the young people reading the comics needed a young character they could relate to and pretend they were the friend of the hero. The character, in the comic,s rarely interacted with Supergirl .

• Gall
        What you say about Superman’s pal is actually really not correct. Jimmy was a friend to Clark Kent but more Jimmy saw “CK” as a mentor and someone he looked up to. “CK” as superman tended to look after him and others at the Daily Planet ala Lois, Perry etc. because of his fondess and friendship to them all. As far as statement above by Ashbash about hair color and then the characters mentioned like Iris West is somewhat amusing. Changing hair color is a far cry from changing everything. The characters you mention that change to black were in fact characters I see as color blind characters as long as care is taken in the actor chosen matching the character in all important areas as written and provided the actor interacts and has chemistry with the rest of the cast. The Iris West casting meets this criteria as I have said in other posts, read them all maybe you will understand. As far as hair color, to a hugely lesser degree same applies, Lana character was pretty redheaded woman cast as a pretty black haired woman who met other requirements of character as written. As far as your comment about Supergirl being a brunette, my guess is that when this hits the screen the actress will be ether wearing a blonde wig or will have dyed her hair blonde to match the supergirl look. Basically your your whole statement is off base. As for the whole Linda Park/Iris West comic history it gets a bit convoluted, in original Iris West render Iris is a one-time wife of the second Flash (before Flashpoint), Barry Allen, the aunt of the third Flash, Wally West, and the grandmother of the fourth Flash, Bart Allen. Linda Park and one time did not like the flash but then did and marries Wally West having twins but then traveling thru time and dimensions is back and meets Barry Allen and anyways as I said gets convoluted as hell. lol

38. LOL says:

Since when did comics become teeny twilight-ish crap aimed at the Vampire Diaries crowd? Did they do this to the comics as well for these shows?

39. Tina says:

PLEASE film it in the U.S. and not Vancouver. Filming american cities in canada just ends up looking cheap. New York or Chicago are great locations for this

• cdhaskell says:

We both know that the show will be film in Canada because the producer will get some kind of tax break that California State isn’t giving the other film/series production. I believe that the reason why Mistresses left California State for the third season.

40. broncfanwa says:

Oh, heck. He’s a good actor, why NOT make him Jimmy Olsen? Red hair, freckles, nerdy, college age kid, those descriptive terms are irrelevant, just because they come from the originating literature. He’s a hunk, let’s cast him. And, for a guest spot of Superman, let’s also go with a good actor. HEY! Woody Allen is a good actor! Let’s get him!

41. flo says:

I don’t know who Jimmy Olsen is, but Mechad Brooks is in it, so I’ll watch.

42. Grey says:

He’ll always be “TK” for me. :-)

43. Tracy says:

I know that every TV show is under pressure to have a diversified cast but this is ridiculous! Jimmy Olsen is not black! He is a Midwestern boy with red hair who wears a bow tie! He’s a bit of a geek! Why do TV shows sacrifice quality for the sake of diversity?

• cafeeine says:

Jimmy Olsen wore a bow tie when bow ties were in fashion. Having him to keep wearing it is about as pertinent to the character as if Clark kept wearing the press-pass- card fedora was. It has been ridiculous that its lasted for so long.

44. Tracy says:

Also, Jimmy Olsen and Superman were friends but Olsen idolized him – no way would he date Superman’s sister! It’s a guy code violation against a guy who can kick your butt all over the universe!

45. Canage says:

Everyone needs to calm down. I love when they switch it up I.E Johnny Storm but superhero shows are desperate to have a love interest that is black idk why. The Tommorrow People, Flash, Supergirl many others I don’t care for superher tv shows. But what if Black Panther was casted as a white male? It goes either way, some comic books can successfully pull it off others, but like Flash and Supergirl can’t pull it off.

46. Dennis says:

Pretty stupid casting for a good actor, why put him into the role of a white character when you could just as easily create a new character that is original and unique. This is another example of racism and tokenism at it’s worst.

47. Dennis D. says:

In related casting news Sharlto Copley has been cast to The Black Panther, Eminem to play Luke Cage and Brad Pitt to play Martin Luther King

48. Catherine Chute says:

In Man of Steel Mr. White was played by Laurence FIshburne. I don’t have a problem with them changing it up a bit. Loved Mehcad in Necessary Roughness!

• RichieS says:

I don’t mind a black Olsen but instead of casting Mehcad Brooks they should’ve just kept with the Glee idea and cast Unique.

49. Claire says:

So excited. He was INCREDIBLE in Necessary Roughness, the whole time I watched it I thought he had that rare movie-star potential