Jane the Virgin Casts Rita Moreno as Rogelio's Glam Mother

Rita Moreno Jane the Virgin

Prepare to meet the woman who gave birth to the fabulous Rogelio De La Vega.

Jane the Virgin has tapped legendary West Side Story actress Rita Moreno to play the mother of the scene-stealing soap star, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Jane’s paternal grandma — or “Glam-ma,” as she’s called — is fiercely protective of her wildly successful son. She will make her debut in Episode 18.

Moreno — whose TV credits include Happily Divorced, Oz and The Electric Company — is one of a select group of performers who have won an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar and a Tony (aka EGOT).

1. Margaret says:

Ah that’s perfect!!

2. The Kaibosh says:

Now that is what I call a seriously classy move. This is huge coup for Jane the Virgin and CW in general. Rita Moreno is an amazing talent. One of the best there ever was or will be. I hope most of the CW viewers can realize what they’re getting here. Its like having a Michelin Star rated chef cooking at a McDonalds.

• LT says:

Ummm, I think you just insulted all of us CW viewers. We love The CW and already think of it as better than McDonalds.

• The Kaibosh says:

Hey I eat at McDonalds as much as the next guy, and enjoy it. But I’m never under the illusion that I’m eating Kobe beef, foie gras or duck confit.

• I’m going to take a wild guess and assume that you haven’t seen Jane the Virgin. You should check it out. Quality programming is not network-dependent and to think that is the case is to be acting like a snob. Ms. Moreno? Doesn’t seem like the time who would approve, man…

• dude says:

Um Jane the Virgin is a Golden Globe nominated series and far above “McDonalds.” Way to be ridiculously condescending. Yes, I appreciate that Rita Moreno is extremely talented and an EGOT winner and I can also appreciate that shows on The CW are *gasp* good. Maybe you didn’t read that article all the way but her previous credits include Happily Divorced, a multi-cam sitcom on TV Land starring Fran Drescher. There’s your McDonalds.

3. demoda says:

When I think this show can’t get any better! I can’t wait!

4. Liz says:

OMG OMG OMG!! I love it! Can’t wait. Love Jamie Camill and love Rita Moreno

5. The Very depressed the reality is, generally classifieds are not a few
    days, a suitable special comrade acknowledged which can “protest”, identified
    this is your comments ought to pointing to intensified type, and
    now the male is what’s more in depth for you to the fashion yet natural beauty.
    This amazing new technology is what is going to allow us
    to finally move away from computers that are so dominated by heat-sinks and fans.
    on the “modern player “or perhaps” Esquire “You See , The title
    came into being highly regarded, by their target is definitely another person’s
    point of view.

6. Jake says:

Run Rita. Why would you do this?

7. Just when I thought Jane the Virgin couldn’t get any better :)

8. Belle says:

I should start watching this show. I heard it is almost like Ugly Betty which I loved. I occasionally read the recaps and it has gotten my attention. I am just afraid to commit to a network show and by the 2nd or 3rd season it gets canceled. Anyhoo….Rita Moreno is one of my all time actors. Anita!! West Side Story! Electric Company!! I adore her.

• It’s not going to get cancelled. It’s already been renewed for a second season and it’s the most critically acclaimed show on the CW and one of the most critically acclaimed comedies on tv, period. It’s charming and intelligent and a lot of fun.

• dude says:

If you loved Ugly Betty, you’ll love Jane the Virgin. I actually think Jane the Virgin is better.

• Belle says:

Thanks. Or as Michelle Tanner used to say “you got it dude”

Sorry I could not resist. Your name :-) plus I am snowbound and going stir crazy. Can’t believe I am excited to go to work tomorrow.

9. uk-usa-tvaddict says:

Every Latin American/Hispanic actor or actress must be on the phone to their agents saying “Get me a role on that Golden Globe winning show!”

10. Jared says:

Rita Moreno is great in everything’s she’s in. I can only imagine the scenes with her and Rogelio! Nice get for The CW!

11. Tamika says:

12. nitemar says:

She is a very energetic, spirited, talented actress. Rita will just be a well deserved addition to this well great show..

13. Marci says:

Yaaaayyyyy!! Love her.

14. Marci says:

MarvelContestofChampionsTriche: This person’s comment has nothing to do with the show. Can it be deleted?

15. Nana3 says:

My first time watching her was on the Electric Company back in the day. Then watching her on Happily divorced. No wonder she has all those awards;. She is one fantastic and talented actress. Love that she is joining Jane. Another win-win.

16. JulieAnn says:

OMG, OMG. That is the most impressive guest casting I’ve seen in a very long time. It is Rita Moreno, people!!! Who cares if it is CW or HBO? The woman is a legend and we should be grateful we have a chance to see her on screen again.

17. Carrie says:

18. James says:

It will be telenovela full-circle if snag Thalia for an appearance. :))

• Paula H says:

I’m curious; why do you say that? Because of a meeting 20 years ago with two JC’s? Or something I don’t know about?

19. Paula H says:

This is going to be delicious! Not only because Rita Moreno is exceptional (claro!!), but because Jaime Camil (Rogelio) is marvelous when he shares a scene with his character’s mother. Several examples come to mind. In one series he did, those moments were among the brightest spots in the whole show.