Parenthood Duo Teases 'Beautiful, Perfect' End — Plus: See Finale Photos!

There are three certainties in life: death, taxes and the likelihood that Parenthoods series finale will make us weep.

Indeed, the Bravermans’ final hour is nearly upon us (Thursday, 10/9c), bringing with it a myriad of unanswered questions.

Will Crosby and Adam work out their Luncheonette issues? Is a happy ending in store for Joel and Julia? What will become of Zeek and his ailing heart? Exactly how many boxes of tissues should we have next to us on the couch?

TVLine caught up with Parenthood star Erika Christensen and scribe Sarah Watson for scoop on the looming series ender — plus, which major Joel/Julia moment wasn’t in the script? Read on…

YOU TAKE THE GOOD, YOU TAKE THE BAD | While many viewers are dreading the death of a major character, Watson clarified that the series finale isn’t entirely sad, nor is it entirely festive. “It continues with what the mood has always been: bittersweet,” she said. “That’s the best way to describe this show. They’re a family, they love each other and they come together. We’re going to see painful things and wonderful things.”

ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY | Despite the absence of major characters from some of this season’s episodes — a contractual obligation that allowed for the final season to take place — Watson said the show’s producers “absolutely made sure” that the entire family would be together for the last episode. Added Christensen: “That’s something [the actors] really enjoy about this show. We’ve been anticipating that.”

PHOTOS Parenthood Turns 100: We Single Out Each Castmember’s Best Episode

BACK TO THE FUTURE | Though both ladies remained tight-lipped about the finale’s plot specifics, Christensen did reveal that a time jump of sorts allows viewers to”go further into the future at the end of the episode. You get to hit fast-forward on the family.” When asked if Joel/Julia fans would be satisfied by the time the credits roll, she added that the hour is “very eventful” for the newly reconciled pair.

Fun fact: Remember when Joel and Julia shared a sweet smooch on the ice skating rink back in Episode 11? That was actually a bit of improv on Sam Jaeger’s part. “It actually wasn’t scripted that they kiss,” Christensen shared. “Sam just felt that was the right thing to do in the moment. It was so sweet, and the kids’ reaction was just the icing on the cake.” Swoon!

PARTING SHOTS | Watson said she’s most excited for fans to see “the very last shot” of the episode, adding that the writers “figured out what the actual last image would be very early on.” And while Watson can’t yet know how viewers will respond to the final episode, she says she’s very pleased with the show’s conclusion. “As a writer, it felt like such a gift to drive toward something and not have to feel like you’re dangling some threads and tying other ones up,” she said. “It felt like a beautiful, perfect ending.”

What are your hopes for Parenthood‘s series ender? Click through our gallery below to see photos from the final episode, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. D. says:

It’s gonna be hard to let go this beautiful, crazy, family. Thank you to everyone that made possible such a good show.

2. Tran says:

The series finale will make people cry. BRING THE LAST BOX OF KLEENEX.

3. rebecca says:

Happy to see Haddie back and love love love that Joel’s kiss wasn’t scripted.

4. Neki says:

awww… i love them…but, lets face it 5. and 6. season were at least below average. No hate, just stating it. Anyway, it will b hard to say goodbye to this imperfect family. #teambraverman

5. James says:

I still think Adam will be the one to die.

6. Kay L says:

I’m still in the first stage of grief…. I’m going to miss this show so dang much!

7. Joey Padron says:

Good photos and scoop about the finale. Gonna miss seeing The Bravermans on TV every week.

8. Tony says:

I sort was hoping for a time jump of some sorts. What actually happens probably won’t be as huge as I envisioned (I was thinking Victor, Max and Jabar as adults time jump). But nonetheless, I’ll be sad to see the Bravermans go. Has cemented itself as one of my top 10 favorite shows of all time

9. Jill says:

I wonder if it will end like the movie ended- with someone in labor, and it isn’t who you think it is- because anyone who you think it is is in the waiting room- and then you find out it is someone you wouldn’t have thought.

10. Sandra says:

I wonder if the time jump will show Julia pregnant after all?

• Roeshamred says:

Oh maybe??? That’s a good thought! I was thinking maybe they have adopted another child and show them with a new baby.

• Christina says:

That’s exactly what I was thinking..Julia giving birth or in the hospital after giving birth with the family visiting. Maybe it’ll show Amber in a happy committed relationship with another baby on the way.We’ll probably find out that Max got accepted to an art school or into a photography internship. Adam will be working closely with Crosby, just not in the manner that we originally expected–I was thinking Adam would be good at managing bands, since he works closely with Kristina to organize within the school and for her campaign.

Or, maybe it’ll be Amber’s wedding and Julia will bring a baby there. Either way, I think they’ll find a way to bring the family together for a happy event to close up any loose ends for everyone.

Regardless, it’ll be a tear jerker for sure!

11. Lauren says:

I have a feeling that with the time jump they speak of they’re going to allude to the fact that Zeek passed and my heart WILL NOT be able to take that!!!!! :(

12. Brandon says:

Final shot is the family all sitting around the table, as they are in the opening credits, but without Zeek. The camera moves up and you can see the painting of him that Camille was working on last episode.

13. Vicki Palmer says:

I’m upset at the lack of medical knowledge of the Parenthood writers and consultants. There’s a new procedure for assisting a failing heart valve. It’s for people who are not good candidates for open heart surgery, like Zeke. The procedure goes up thru the groin and places the device in the valve to assist in its function. My aunt had this procedure and it has bought her more time. I’m really upset that this procedure, which was done for my aunt in Indianapolis, wasn’t offered to Zeke. Shame on the medical consultants!!!

14. Paul says:

It is going to be so hard saying goodbye to the Braverman Family. They are like an extended part of our own families. Everyone has or had a Zeek or Camille to be the head of the family. Everyone c an relate to Adam and Christina, Crosby and Jasmine, Joel and Julia , and Sarah, Amber, Drew, Max, Haddie, Viktor, and all the younger Bravermans. Saying goodbye to Zeek alone will be gut wrenching.

15. Roe says:

I would love to see Amber and Ryan back together

16. nancy dowd says:

All I have to say is i was very upset when I heard this was the final season of Parenthood. It has been one of my favorite shows, it’s very entertaining and down to earth. There are so many ridiculous shows on now that I wouldn’t waste my time watching so I will really miss Parenthood!

• sandy Lieberman says:

I have only two “favorite shows” and one of them is Parenthood. They are the beautiful extended family that I would love to be a part of… KLThere is deeper caring and unconditional love, below the surface of occasional problems. When they came together at the picnic table it was pure joy. The big brother relationship, the father daughter bonds, Zeke ovine saying,” com here grandson… and Camille, sorry she was a cameo role and we got to see her in precious moments, soft voice of reason for her children, and Zeke, strong woman who went to Italy to pursue her passion, painting, only to return to Zeke and renew their love.
      Yes, I will miss my “adopted family” and strive to have a loving family of my own, much smaller, but filled with moments of LOVE just the same.
      LOVE YOU BRAVERMANS, WISH YOU WELL!
      SANDY C

17. rkar7 says:

Why am I so nervous about this show’s ending? I don’t usually react this way!

18. Rhonda says:

Where’s the petition to get it back ! Zek could be, not dead….but dreaming ! De ja vous(ish)
    the writers can simple write around that .