SAG Awards 2015: OITNB, Downton, Viola Davis, William H. Macy Win Big

SAG Award Winners

The 21st annual Screen Actors Guild Awards were handed out Sunday night at the Shrine Exposition Center in Los Angeles, and Netflix was the big winnerby topping three of the nine TV categories, including a pair of trophies for Orange Is the New Black.

First-time winners included OITNB‘s Uzo Aduba, Shameless‘ William H. Macy and ABC freshman How to Get Away With Murder (for star Viola Davis).

RELATED Golden Globes 2015: Gina Rodriguez, Transparent, The Affair Win Big

We’ve denoted WINNERS below. The Comments section, of course, is where you express euphoria or indignation.

DRAMA ENSEMBLE

24: Live Another Day
Boardwalk Empire
Game of ThronesWINNER
Homeland
Sons of Anarchy
The Walking Dead

On the film side, the winners were Birdman (Cast), Still Alice‘s Julianne Moore (Lead Actress), The Theory of Everything‘s Eddie Redmayne (Lead Actor), Whiplash‘s J.K. Simmons (Supporting Actor), Boyhood‘s Patricia Arquette (Supporting Actress), Unbroken (Stunt Ensemble).

1. webly3 says:

I’m so excited about the TV winners. OITNB and Shameless are two of my favorite shows so I was really rooting for them to win in their categories. I’m hoping that Tatiana Maslany gets drama actress.

2. wrstlgirl says:

So happy to see Mark Ruffalo get some love :-) :-)

3. Casto says:

Don’t get the Aduba win, or even the nomination. She is the only one nominated in a supporting role and there are at least five actresses more deserving on OITNB. That’s not a slight on her but a compliment on the strength of that show.

4. rachelle says:

Whoo hoo, Shameless recognition! William H. Macy kills. Also, Uzo and OITNB!

5. Dr.Bombay says:

Why is there no ensemble award to TV Movie/Miniseries? Love that Frances McDormand won but stunned that Alison Tolman wasn’t even nominated for Fargo…

6. If you want to increase your experience just
    keep visiting this web page and be updated with the most up-to-date news posted
    here.

7. I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

Viola Davis is great and all, but how is Tatiana Maslany not swimming in shiny, oddly-shaped statues at this point?

• Spence says:

I was just about to say that!

• Andre says:

Agree 100%! How can she not be winning everything?

• Timosim says:

Cause playing 5 people doesn’t mean you are ALWAYS the best actor? Quit undermining other actors just because they didn’t get a chance to play 5 people. I had to put up with people like you watching that godawful fringe.

• Et al says:

We get it. You have terrible taste. You can leave now.

• I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

It isn’t that she plays five characters — it’s that she manages to play them perfectly. You ALWAYS know which clone she is, even when she’s playing one clone pretending to be another clone.

• Josh says:

Bingo! Back in season, when I a casual fan(took me to midway the season to get into the plot), I remember thinking, “I really hope they don’t kill off Cosima, the actress is too good!” Before quickly being “oh right, yeah she’d still have a job..”

That’s how good she is. When you can totally disasdicuste her performance as Sarah from Cosima from Helena from Allison.

Viola is a powerhouse, mind you, so in no way can I say “robbed!” It’s just a shame the woman is getting awards for a soap and not the leading on screen roles she deserves(but wont get because she’s a three strike actress; black, over 40, woman). And dark skinned. That bugs me. She’s one of the best. Hollywood should treat her like it.

• DL says:

Having enjoyed both shows, and being a fan of Tatiana Maslany, I’m actually on board with Davis’s win. I too think Maslany is a fantastic actress, and exceedingly deft at her craft to be able to play multiple characters (and have them interact so convincingly with one another). But I think Davis had moments of vulnerability and emotion and even raw human ugliness on HTGAWM that made my jaw drop. Just my two cents.

• CactusRose says:

disasdicuste?

• Josh says:

@CactusRose….Haha, I wrote that whole post on my phone haha, so oops :p. It was supposed to be disassociate. Not sure why it turned into that…

• Lindy says:

I watch both shows and I love them both but I feel Viola is definitely a stronger contender in this case, They are both talented though.

• Dude says:

AMEN! It’s sad that for an actress of her caliber, it’s hard enough just to get her nominated, never mind for her to win.

• Jerry says:

I watched both shows, and I think Tatiana Maslany is extremely versatile, but I think problem is Tatiana Maslany showed more breadth due to obvious reasons, but the characters that she play lack the depth of her fellow nominees, like Alicia Florrick or Annaliese Keating.

8. King says:

Anybody here a really good lip reader? Because while the nominees for drama female actor were being announced, you could see in the background Eric Stonestreet whispering to Sofia Vergara then she rolled her eyes! LOL! Rewatch it if you can. It happened right after Julianna Marguiles name was called.

• Ron says:

I noticed that too! I was anxiously awaiting to hear who the winner of that category was (really happy for Viola), but after I saw that I honestly no longer cared about the award; I just wanted to know what that conversation was about. That wasn’t a sarcastic eye roll. That was an extremely annoyed at someone/something eye roll!

9. Brittney says:

Its crazy to me that Peter Dinklage didnt win. Did they not see “The Laws of Gods and Men”?

• Lindy says:

I’m always puzzled that Game of Thrones never seems to win any awards, It get nominations but no wins.

• Joey says:

I saw the episode, and the specific scene you’re talking about, and I’m shocked he even got nominated. Talk about overacting, which is odd, since he’s usually so on point.

10. Olivia says:

Well deserved for OITNB. But this Tatiana Maslany snubbing needs to stop, this is getting ridiculous!

11. evababy says:

I like William H. Macy and all, but I feel his character is the worst part of Shameless. I wanted him to die last season. Meanwhile Emmy Rossum who is perfection, can’t even get a nomination. Sigh.

So pleased for OITNB, Uzo and Viola.

Bummed about McConaughey his True Detective role made me actually remember how much I loved him in the John Sayles movie Lone Star.

12. Stephanie says:

How on earth does a show about tea and biscuits beat Game of Thrones, Homeland, House of Cards, and Boardwalk Empire. Boo.

• Jake says:

Sorry to disagree, but Downton Abbey is probably the best drama on TV right now. The acting is superb and the characters are allowed to evolve etc. I also enjoy GOT, so I would have been happy if it would have one.

13. Kyle says:

To all who are bellyaching about Tatiana Maslany not winning, you should really take a look at Viola’s performance especially the episode where she removes all of her makeup and wig just weeks after a hurtful article was published about her not being classically beautiful. Not to mention her entire performance is stellar, there are so many great actresses and I’m sure many deserve statues but, it’s not up to us.

• Dude says:

Sorry but no. I watch both. Viola Davis is an immensely talented actress and I’m happy she’s being recognized but she’s been given lacklustre melodramatic material all season that doesn’t come close to what Tatiana has been given. Viola does her best to elevate it but the writing is mediocre and because of that, her performance lacks subtlety. She doesn’t deserve it because she took off her makeup. If that’s the case, Jennifer Aniston should be swimming in awards. What Tatiana has pulled off is an unparalleled feat. She doesn’t just play 6 characters, she delivers 6 phenomenal performances full of depth and complexity every week.

• jj says:

The quality of the writing is irrelevant. If anything, an actor who can pull off a great performance with lackluster material is more impressive than one who is given incredible material.

• Jerry says:

I don’t think her characters are complex or full of depth actually. I mean you look at the characters individually, they are definitely not as deeply written as someone like Claire Danes character or Robin Wright or Juliana Margulies. So I would say Tatiana Maslany wasn’t given a good enough opportunity to show depth.

• Nell on Wheels says:

I’m a SAG/AFTRA member who voted for Ms. Maslany. As I looked over the nominations, I thought “Why isn’t Orphan Black nominated for Best Ensemble in a Drama?” Oh, right! She IS the ensemble. (No disrespect to the other actors, who are also great.)

I find Viola Davis’s performance one-note and over dramatic — Look at me! I’m ACTING, and don’t you forget it! The taking off the makeup thing was not all that groundbreaking or brave — see Glenn Close in Dangerous Liaisons.

These days, overacting trumps subtlety, I’m afraid.

14. Ron says:

Maybe it was just me, but did Debbie Reynolds make anyone else simultaneously laugh, delighted, and awkwardly uncomfortable? Not because of things she said, but more so how she conveyed the things she was saying. I feel like Carrie really wanted her to stop talking and just get off stage.

• Dude says:

She reminded me of my rambling grandmother but I liked it lol

• Larry C. says:

I love Debbie Reynolds, but her speech was an embarrassment. Either she was drunk or she is getting senile. She looked wonderful, but it all was just too sad. What’s your favorite movie again, Debbie?

15. Lindy says:

So excited for Viola Davis and Wiliam H Macy.

16. sherry says:

so happy for Uzo, OITNB!! and disappointed for Tatiana, she should have won best ensemble for playing those beautifully crafted & well acted clone characters!!

17. I enjoy this awards show cause it is Actors giving it to Actors.

18. Hodan says:

I love both Viola and Tatiana and I honestly thought both them would get ingored this award season. So, I am happy Viola Davis won. Happy one of them won.

19. greysfan says:

I’m so happy Downton Abbey and Viola Davis won! Its awesome. Actually looking at all the awards i am happy with all winners this year.

20. Jillian says:

The SAGs got it right unlike the Golden Globes when it came to the TV categories. OITNB was wayyyy overdue for their wins and I am ecstatic that Viola Davis won for her portrayal of Annalise. The HFPA and Television Academy should take note.

21. Larry C. says:

Who came up with these award titles? “Male Actor”. “Female Actor” — ridiculous. That’s like saying “Male Man” in the former case. As for the latter, it sounds like either a woman impersonating a man or a drag queen. I guess they believe they are being politically correct. What’s wrong with “actor” and “actress”? Maybe, they all have just seen VICTOR/VICTORIA too many times! LOL

22. Jerry says:

Very happy that Viola Davis won, but sad that Tatiana Maslany didn’t get her due. Seems like SAG likes Viola Davis and Golden Globes hate her, GG also gave Meryl Streep the win over Davis.

23. Elizabeth says:

It was my honor and pleasure to get to go to school with Uzo; being the new kid as a senior in high school (and in a very, very small town and a very small graduating class that had been together since kindergarten) was a little daunting. She was the first person I met in Medfield, and was just so kind, showing me around and introducing me to people. She went out of her way to make sure I felt included, and is genuinely one of the nicest people on the planet.. I’m so, so thrilled the world is realizing what the class of ’99 did: that she is so gifted in what she does, and we couldn’t be more proud of her.

24. Bonnie says:

Why isn’t Orphan Black winning all the things?!

25. Jennifer says:

I am so sick of all the cable / netflix / whatever series getting all the love. They really need to split cable and network. Cable can get away with so much more. And really, Viola Davis? Really? that show is horrible. (and i like Shonda)

• jj says:

haha so you don’t like cable/netflix etc getting all the love but then you complain about the one winner from a network show

• Jake says:

I disagree. HTGAWM is awesome. Viola Davis rocks it. I am so sick of hearing people whine and cry about Tatiana. Please if that was the case then they should give the award to Nina Dobrev whom has been doing multiple characters on TVD.

• TIgerLIL says:

Hmm, I don’t know the other actress, not familiar with her show and assume there was a level playing field in the voting. With that being said I can’t make any comparisons of what I think. I do know this, the SAG award is voted not by public opinion, popularity, or script writing or any of the other theatrics people are attempting to throw out; its voted on by your peer’s who are in your union evaluation of your work. So unless you are a SAG union member your barking is for not. Ms. Davis peers thought she was the best performer in a TV drama series based on the art of acting. She had nothing to do with how her work, her delivery of her craft and or her performance skills were viewed by her peers. It appears as if they looked at all bodies of work in the category and thought her body of work stood out based on the factor that she won; that was the conclusion of the voting body. Trying to trash someone for being recognized by her peers who are all artisans of the profession seems kinda dull besides being shallow. Her peers have spoken and actually she won the Peoples Choice Award so the public has spoken as well. Lets live with the results by honoring all that attempt to practice the profession, which is not easy to do..JMO

26. Tatiana got robbed… again….. brutal. :(

27. C’mooooon, still no award for Tatiana Maslany?!

28. Ally Oop says:

The TV awards are starting to get more interesting than the Film awards. With better shows and some big name actors, television has become much more prestigious in recent years, and this year in particular I’ve noticed it at both The Golden Globes and the SAGs.

29. CactusRose says:

Why can’t “The Good Wife” get any love? That is the most consistently excellent show on network OR cable TV today. And Frances McDormand? What a sourpuss!

30. Rich says:

I see blacks won a couple of awards so I gues al sharp$hit woun’t be protesting or rioting orange is the new black over Big Bang really? Can you say pandering?

31. TIgerLIL says:

I really love the fact that Viola is being rewarded for her honing her craft and having her acting skills recognized. I will be glad when she returns to the small screen how to get away with murder.

32. Marci says:

Very happy for Viola Davis winning best actress in a TV drama.

33. InnerRise says:

Tatiana Maslany NOOOOOO!

IT WAS HER AWARD TO BE WON!

Viola Davis you BETCH!