Outlander Sneak Peek: First Minute of Midseason Premiere Tells Jamie's Story

Outlander Season 1 Video

Claire takes a breather in Outlander‘s upcoming midseason premiere — and a sneak peek at the episode gives us Jamie’s take on events.

Starz aired the first minute of the hour — which bows Saturday, April 4 at 9/8c — before Black Sails‘ season premiere on Saturday.

The midseason premiere (and only the midseason premiere) will be told from Jamie’s perspective, a first for the series based on Diana Gabaldon’s novels.

“We’re restarting the audience, so we wanted to have a lead-in for the viewers that would shift the point of view,” executive producer Ron Moore recently told an audience at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena. “This was a moment to pivot and include him in the perspective of the audience.”

That includes hearing Sam Heughan narrate the episode like Caitriona Balfe normally does; you can get a taste by pressing PLAY on the video below. Then make sure to hit the comments and let us know how Droughtlander is going for you.

1. July Lark says:

My…how I have missed this series and JAMIE.

2. Angela dA says:

Droughtlander has been brutal for fans but thank goodness for these little sneak peaks. But like anyone who is very thirsty, WE WANT MORE!

3. B says:

Beautiful scenery that’s welcome because Droughtlander is loooonnnnggg. It’ll be interesting to see things from Jamie’s POV.

4. Alichat says:

I found this sneak peek disappointing. Especially after all the hype given to it. It was interesting hearing Jamie’s narrative. Any guesses on who the blonde is behind him?

• soundofmusic says:

I think the blonde is the beginning of a flashback, as when she appears we see Jamie duck and in past trailers we see clips from past episodes and a duel. I think he ducks, she appears and the flashbacks start with the duel and all the others telling Jamie’s story, and then at the end it pans to his face at the end and then we will get to Jamie in the window in the present. Sort of like when the series started and Claire was talking about her past and that vase and then it went into “I was on my honeymoon in 1945…” This voiceover mirrors Claire’s in the first episode.

• sls says:

This blonde is driving ppl crazy :) It didn’t look like leghair/Leery. It probably is a flashback or a completely minor character delivering a message or acting as a plot device.

I think even if they showed the entire episode 9 it wouldn’t be enough. Droughtlander is inescapable! The next 8 episodes are going to go by way too fast and then….just how long do we have to wait for Season 2?!?!?!?!?!? It’s not even scheduled officially yet and it looks like it won’t be coming back until some time in 2016. There is a very good chance we will have to wait until April 2016 or longer *sigh*

• Paul says:

I agree that it looks like a flashback with Jaime’s narration of his past and who knows what it will go to in the next scene? I figured Outlander would begin filming season 2 in late Spring of 2015 and we would get to see the 1st episode by October of 2015. I hope we don’t have to wait until 2016. That is a fairly long wait between seasons for the staunch Outlander fans.

• sls says:

I just posted a reply but don’t see it :( hate that

Unfortunately, Ron Moore said in a recent interview that they will start filming season 2 in May in Scotland and, the way he made it sound in the interview, they might not be done filming season 2 until February of 2016. He said as of right now they do not have an air date for the second season but he guesses it will be some time in 2016.

You can search for this interview: Ron Moore Outlander Interview Nerd Report

Starz may be trying to figure out where to put Outlander in their schedule. But who knows. Right now it’s not looking good for Season 2 to start in 2015. I would guess we won’t get season 2 until April 2016, after Black Sails ends. :(

• Paul says:

I guess the Outlander fans will have to deal with viewing only 8 new episodes each year. The creative and logistical process of the production of Outlander in Scotland must be very tough. I saw some of the “behind the scenes of Outlander” & there is a lot of detail. At least we know that Ron Moore will always produce the best for us to see. Thanks for your information on 2016 sls!

• sls says:

You’re welcome. I’m hoping that we will get at least 13 new episodes if not 16 episodes all, or mostly all, in consecutive weeks. If we seriously end up having to wait until April 2016 for season 2 then hopefully we will get more than 8 episodes at a time.

But if filming wraps up in February 2016 idk how fast they can get the episodes ready and how many they will have ready for an April premier. Hopefully we will get a premier date set for season 2 soon but I think people are going to be really upset about another droughtlander so they better plan on giving some good news along with the bad news of having to wait until 2016.

• soundofmusic says:

I believe Ron Moore said season 2 would be 13 episodes and he didn’t think there would be a split season and he did say he thought it would be sometime in 2016. I’m betting April. It’s unfortunate for the long wait, but that’s the way cable does it. It’s usually 8-10 episodes and they a year’s wait between seasons. I think we should be thankful we get so many episodes for cable!

• sls says:

I had read it would be at least 13 episodes but that Starz allowed for 13, 16, or 18 episodes and it was up to Ron. Cable shows can be as few as 8 or 10 episodes, true. Many shows are more than 10 but usually only if they are very popular (aka: money makers- takes money to make money- more episodes cost more money). And it is typical to wait a year for the next season on cable. It’s kind of what’s expected. That is why I’m guessing April 2016 for season 2.

My concern is that Starz will decide Outlander fits in a different place in their schedule (like October 2016). That’s a really tough wait.

But as someone else mentioned in the comments….in other countries they have a really, really long wait. Gotta be grateful we don’t have to wait as long as people outside the U.S..

• paul says:

I’m sure that Starz is doing awfully well from Outlander with an average viewing of 5 million per episode and who knows what earnings will draw from DVD and foreign viewers to boot. If I have to wait a year or more for Season 3, I might as well just Tivo Season 2 and save until 2016 for extreme binge watching of Season 2 & 3 together. Guess it’s like waiting for Diana to write a sequel and wait a year or two in between. I’m hoping that it’s worth the wait. If were lucky….maybe another sneak peak at Paleyfest before April 4th’s premiere.

• sls says:

I think Starz is doing really well with Outlander and they seem to really be supportive of it. The waiting for books is really tough for me because I forget details in between. I’ve actually been waiting to read the last two books as I really hate waiting for years at a time in between books.

I know authors need time, especially when their books are so enormous. I just forget the details so I like to wait and read several books in a row. I’m probably going to wait until the 9th book comes out before I start number 7. For now I’m re-reading the books and watching the show.

I’m just really happy to have the show at all. For a book series that you have read for years and year to finally get put to screen is so interesting. That they are doing a really great job so far in keeping close to the books is fantastic.

5. lori says:

Disappointed. I thought it was going to pick up where the cliffhanger left us.

6. bytemebill says:

This should be interesting since the books typically focus on Claire’s POV or the third person…very cool.

7. Renee Maxey says:

Beautiful Scotland along with Sam’s Scottish voice….what more can be said? April 4th cannot come to soon!

8. Susan Grace says:

Droughtlander takes a wee bit of the obsession out of the show. Why is it so long?? Can’t wait for more!! Jamie and Claire have been close to my heart since I first read Outlander in the 90’s. Love the series and hope it stays true to the quality and authenticity of the first 8 episodes. Beautiful scenery and great casting!!

9. Sherry Riley says:

I don’t usually get butterflies waiting to watch a preview promo, but it happened Saturday night! After 4 months of “Droughtlander,” I look at every clip as a feast. With a little over 2 months to go before April and our smorgasbord of eight episodes, I look forward to anything that Starz and Ron Moore will send our way. Thanks for not leaving us in the dark for 6 months and giving us something to think about while we anticipate the rest of the season.

10. PatioPrincess says:

Daaaammmnnnn..that Sam’s voice does something to me!! I cannot wait until this show comes back. It was so much fun to watch the first eight episodes and the rest of the season should be awesome as well. It’s perfectly cast and so beautifully shot. The scenery is gorgeous and I love the heavy Scot and Brit accents.

11. Rose says:

It’s been a long wait! But not nearly as long as the time waiting for the next book to be published!

12. The preview is great. I think it will be awesome to hear Jamie do the narrating especially with what is to come in the near future. One big question Ron where is your kilt? Thank you and the staff and actors for all the correspondence and little extras that you guys are doing to make this Droughtlander easier on us. To make it go faster me and my friends had a Outlander Marathon with all of the previous episodes yesterday. Scotch eggs and all. Was a blast. I totally understand the reason for the break and really don’t want anyone to get burnout on making the series. Thank you for all your work.

13. Liz says:

*sigh*
    Is it April already? Why do we have to wait SO long!

14. Sue says:

Sam as Jamie is the most awesome character/actor on TV… love him so much!!!

15. Aiche says:

Wow!!! I am in love!!!!

16. Pamela says:

Hard to feel sympathy for fans who find droughtlander of 6 months tough, we in the UK (where it is filmed and partly funded by) have STILL NOT GOT IT!

17. Dianne says:

The only way I have gotten through (Droughtlander) thus far is by re-reading the series. Now that I have a perfect picture of Jamie, the books are even better than the first time.

18. Diane says:

Love the sneak peek! Thank you Ron! Love listening to Sam Scottish accent! Can’t wait for April.

19. Cindy Harris says:

I am in love with everything Jamie, including his voice and his brogue! Puts me back into the first half of the season, the beautiful scenery, music, and the feeling that I could reach out and touch the realness of it. If it were possible, I could watch it everyday and nothing else. Can’t wait for April!

20. nita says:

Awesome! Cant wait

21. Yvonne Lorraine Sanders says:

I am in full blown Droughtlander. I thirst for the sound of Jamie’s voice and hunger for the scenes of my favorite people. These tidbits do stave off starvation but only make me hunger for more.

22. The two I have chosen for the parts of Breanna and Roger are Karen Gillan and Kevin Ryan. I have seen both of them act and enjoyed their acting very much. And the looks of both actors are spot on for the parts being cast. I think they would be perfect.

23. Debbie Sheniuda says:

Why can I not watch the 1 min promo that was aired Saturday night where Jamie (Sam) is the narrator. It seems like it was taken off line?

24. JAO says:

Just. Jamie. Beautiful.

25. Linda says:

Re-reading the books. ALL of them. And re-watching earlier episodes to see if I missed anything. Sad excuse, I know.

• soundofmusic says:

Not an excuse because I’m doing exactly the same thing. Started reading in October, finished all eight in December and right away went to the first book again. I’m now on book four, Drums of Autumn. And yes, I did miss a lot! Since I now know what happens I can look for all the clues in re-reading.

• Vanessa says:

I am rereading as well!

26. C Kohtz says:

Does this mean we miss the part of the story immediately following Claire’s rescue?

• soundofmusic says:

No, I’m sure that starts right after Jamie’s voiceover, plus you see what I assume to be the escape in the recent trailer.

27. Cynthia hickson says:

Obviously the next season will be BRILLANT!

Exciting….can’t wait.

28. Ah… Just beautiful and I can’t wait till April 4th.

29. more bonuses says:

Becoming a sleepp problems successful money-making system with at least right away: Thee 5 tips can give yourself the important questions, they have problems”?

30. Vanessa says:

The drought made me buy every book!

31. Vanessa says:

Oh my………Jamie

32. Holly says:

Yap could listen to Jamie forever!!! Luv it.

33. Holly says:

Yap I could listen to Jamie forever!!! Luv it.

34. Enjoyed anxious for series to start

35. Donna says:

I have read all 8 books twice! I’m SO in love with Jamie!

36. Elizabeth says:

Boy have I missed Jamie and Claire
    (admittedly, Jamie most)
    The only good thing about the long wait for the second half of the season is that it has given me time to read the books (I was not familiar with the books until the STARZ production. ) Given the length of the books, all I have done for months is eat, take my Highland terrier (how’s THAT for a coincidence?), and read…..
    Great books but I cannot wait for APRIL 4. Until then, I will be rereading…..!

37. Pat says:

I can’t wait,I loved the books. I came across the first 3 books at a garage sale and read them one after another, I then purchased the remaining books in the series and read them all. I couldn’t out them down. When I heard about the series coming to Starz, I was almost crazy with impatience waiting and I had to subcribe to Starz.

38. Maggie says:

I have read all the books, so even though I know the story, I can’t wait for the series to start up again. My husband teases me that it has taken 45 years for me to fall in love with a TV series. The acting, wardrobe, and scenery are absolutely top notch. Droughtlander has been okay but so wish they were longer than 2 minutes. The love story between Jaime & Claire is so believable when acted by Sam & Caitriona. It would be great if this series brought them together outside of work. Two beautiful and talented people.

39. Judith says:

Outlander the show has turned out to be just as I hoped it would be when I first read the book in 1999. Thank you for keeping it so real, yet also just as I fantasized!

40. isabeau1870 says:

I’m excited and terrified for Droughtlander to be over…I’ve read the books! But I’ll get through it, as we all must, for we also know what’s on the other side. Thank you, Sam and Caitriona, for giving us our Jamie and Claire even better than we imagined.

• Anna Snyder says:

OH MAN!!!!! You hit it on the head with that word “droughtlander” I’m gonna watch it all over from the beginning of season 1….and possibly read the books too. I literally would lock my bedroom door so that no one would disturb me while watching this show! And now….I have to wait for what seems like forever for season 3…bummer. Sam and Caitrona are awesome!!!

41. Mary Ann Jester says:

I especially loved this sneak peak…Sam does a wonderful job of showing us how Jamie became the man he is…Sam IS Jamie!

42. Linda Benoit says:

During the break I have read all 8 books, 2 Lord John books and have everything now in print that Diana has in print! STARZ introduced me to Diana. THANK YOU STARZ!!!!!

43. Donna Vollentine says:

I just love Jamie and Clair I could watch them all the time but I could do with A lot less torturè