Exclusive

Sleepy Hollow's Tom Mison on Crane's Karaoke Debut, Plus: Watch Him Sing!

Sleepy Hollow Season 2 Video Ichabod Karaoke

Sleepy Hollow‘s Tom Mison really has no one to blame but himself.

A while back, when kicking around possible Ichabod scenarios with series writer Heather Regnier, the actor found himself chuckling at the idea of his character singing karaoke.

Then it showed up the script for Monday’s episode (Fox, 8/7c).

“Heather Regnier and I had long discussions about it, and there are lots of different routes we could have gone down,” Mison tells TVLine. “Would it have been funny if he had sung a Lady Gaga song? What sort of thing would be best? And also, what sort of voice would Ichabod have?”

Viewers will find out when the Revolutionary War transplant takes the stage twice during the hour: once with Nicole Beharie’s Abbie and once on his own.

Mison says he thought hard about what Crane would choose for his solo number, then came up with a very, very deep cut.

“There’s a shanty from his trip over to America that really affected him,” Mison says, adding that he first became acquainted with the tune while involved with an adaptation of Moby Dick with the British dramatic company Simple 8 Theatre.

The song Ichabod sings is called “A Young Sailor Cut Down in His Prime” — “a beautiful, haunting shanty,” Mison says, laughing, “about a young sailor who dies of syphilis.”

Meanwhile, the episode’s A plot finds Hawley in danger, a situation that illuminates his relationships with the other members of the team. “It’s quite interesting to see how Ichabod, Abbie and Jenny react quite differently” to the mercenary’s dilemma, Mison says. In the beginning, Crane didn’t trust Hawley “at all, wasn’t keen on him, but he’s gradually showing there is some honor to him,” he adds. “Even though he is a mercenary pr—k, he’s occasionally loyal. There’s something decent about him, which Ichabod is intrigued with.”

Admit it, you’re intrigued, too — at least about the singing. The good news is that you don’t have to wait to watch Crane do his thing.

Press PLAY on the exclusive video below to watch Ichabod belt one out while an amused Abbie and Jenny look on, then hit the comments with your thoughts on Ich’s performance and the ladies’ conversation while he’s on stage.

1. Rebecca says:

So, did we REALLY need another scene of Abbie confirming that Katrina was “right” about Headless???

• Lady T says:

I know right…..
      Once again the writers are messing up big time. Did you catch the part last week when Katrina knew she was pregnant before Ichabod’s death.

• lechatnoir says:

Hi, I wanted Katriona to be stuck in that bloodied painting last week . She is an encumbrance . I wanted her gone badly , now she makes Abbey look like a spare wheel. And I miss the old funny Ichabod.

• delorb says:

I agree. There have been SEVERAL opportunities this season to put us all out of our misery, but nope. Perhaps there should be a hashtag of all the ways Katrina could have died? #Katrinacouldhavebeenkilledwhen…..LOL

• Sandra says:

Per Abiers that was the writer’s error.

• Tina says:

Just enjoy this scene. GEEZ!

• IMHO, If TPTB is going to continue on with the Katrina nonsense it just takes away from the scene. It makes me see the scene as an agenda to further push their pet project, Katrina, down our throats. Nothing has changed….

• Lee says:

I know. I’m so sick and tired of people complaining about the writers and Katrina…they just go on and on and on. Can’t they just enjoy the scene and move on?

• nubianrose89 says:

No, because Katrina isn’t enjoyable. It’s not SIMPLY that she’s taking away from Ichabbie time, it’s that she is literally dragging all the action to a screeching halt. Or are we not going to discuss how last week she stopped to sympathize with the serial killing ghost, who had already killed once that night, because his parents didn’t appreciate him IN THE MIDDLE OF TRYING TO SAVE THE SECOND VICTIM, ALREADY IN THE PROCESS OF BEING BLED OUT???I don’t mind that the writers are trying to expand the team so much, but c’mon, how long do we have to put up with Katrina’s misplaced sentimentality and near complete lack of use to the team? Can she either be developed and put to good use, or be put out of our misery?

• Yeah says:

Really. THAT is what you took from this scene? REALLY??? For god’s sake stop watching and just leave the rest of us alone.

• delorb says:

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid. I’m sure the first sip is tasty. Its the aftertaste of these awful episodes that’s a killer.

• Yeah says:

STOP WATCHING THIS SHOW.
          Honestly, you people just run around all over the internet, everyone saying the same things, virtually word for word–it’s like you’re some kind of cult by now. All you do is whine and complain. Parsing EVERY SINGLE comment and look to fit your own little narrow hate-filled agenda.
          You don’t like the show any more. You don’t like Katrina.
          WE GET IT.
          MESSAGE RECEIVED.
          Now just go away!

• futonfighter says:

lol, It’s a comments section. Not a ‘comments only Yeah personally likes’ section. Get some sac and deal with the fact that a lot of people are not happy with this show and will use comments sections to say so.

Are you five?

• First of all stop screaming, it is rude.

And what gives you the right to tell people what they should stop watching. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and free to post whatever they want.

I think that your slinging the word “cult” around further your own biased agenda(s).
            You only wish to downplay the bs that the people running SH are feeding viewers.

Stop trying to use label ‘cult’ to draw negativity to people voicing objectives to what they see as wrong behavior towards a targeted group of people.

The only way things will change is if the message is put out there, else it will be business as usual.

• Yeah says:

I slung the word “cult” around because the person I was responding to accused me of “drinking the Kool-Aid.” Or don’t you know what that refers to?
            Duh.

• Shakena Morris says:

I want you to do something for me. Print off your original post and read it back to yourself. Now you have to agree that you sound like a petulant child who wants to have his or way. And by the way I now what ‘drink the kool aid’ means. But you are the one that decided to lump all of the dissatisfied viewers into a cult when you do not know every viewers questions and concerns. Delorb addressed her statement only to you.

• Problem is, people have already stopped watching the show. Katrina’s work to kill the show is almost done. The “Ichatrina Date” episode was a season low. But sure, the solution must surely be in telling more people to stop watching…

• amjm2014 says:

“Yeah”.. I find your comment very condescending because everyone have a right to speak their opinion on a message board no one always agree on every little thing. I mean instead of telling people to stop watching you should be encouraging them to do so because right now they can use all the viewers they can get. With that said I am looking forward to seeing the episode if nothing for the interactions between The Mills sisters and Ichabod and Abbie..

• Kory says:

If this post of yours was meant to be serious, it came out comical and hilarious as hell

• Kim says:

No, they didn’t. And it’s quite annoying and redundant for the writers to make Abbie reference an already referenced comment about Katrina, because she can’t stand on her own two feet, as a compelling character, whether she is on screen or off. And to subtract from Abbie’s screen time with unnecessary verbiage, to try and add appeal to Katrina’s unappealing character, is pathetic. They need to stop subverting her role as Co-Lead, it has caused great damage to the.viewership.

• Kim says:

• Melissa says:

Yeah, that was not how it should’ve been written. They should have Abbie say something like “who would’ve know Katrina’s ridiculous idea to free headless turned out for the best” or something similar if they felt like that NEEDED to be addressed because she wasn’t right; the bad decision just worked in their favor, but headless should still be under guard.

2. Babybop says:

That was hilarious. I’m excited to see them duet! Though I’m a bit worried about how Abbie said “We’re fine” like something is up between them…

3. csemper says:

Nice voice. And bravely sung a cappella, the song is ideal for the character. It’s a real plus that they used Ichabod’s singing as a background for another sisterly chat between the Mills sisters.

4. Chol H Yoon says:

It would have been funnier if he sung the “Star Spangled Banner” when it was a drinking song.

5. Flo says:

I love it. I love this team. Now if we can just have Irving back in the mix.

6. Janet says:

I love the fun moments between Ichabod and Abbie and Jenny. This trio, along with Irving really have the best chemistry. I scoffed when Abbie said Katrina was right but I liked that Jenny asked if she and Ichabod were okay. Tom has been not so subtly hinting that the Cranes relationship does not work. He is definitely an Ichabbie shipper. Love the a Capella singing. Can’t wait to see Nicole sing as well.

• Lady T says:

” I scoffed when Abbie said Katrina was right but I liked that Jenny asked if she and Ichabod were okay. ”

Once again the writers are using Abbie to get our approval.

7. Debra Hill says:

“I should have done the one about the bass, about the bass.” Too funny!

8. justsomeguy says:

It’s a shame what has happened to this show, it really is.

9. worldtraveler9 says:

I hoped he would do a song from the 18th century, I am very impressed with Tom’s singing voice — I’ve always had a fondness for bass-baritones. Thanks for the sneak peak!

10. sam says:

No, using Abbie to validate the witch is not working. In fact, it’s very infuriating and it’s not helping with my dislike of that awful character.

11. Cute scene. Always nice to see the Mills sisters interacting. Still, it confirms that I made a good decision to quit watching.

12. christina says:

I love the Mills sister and their interactions, it nice seeing them work out their relationship. I prefer to look at the Katrina comments as confirmation that Abraham is up to no good and it is going to come back and bite them in the ass.

13. I was rather intrigued with the pregnant pause after Jenny asked if Abbie and Ichabod were ok. Nicole Beharie’s expressive face was speaking volumes.

14. RS says:

Good scene. Enjoyed Abbie and Jenny hanging out together. Enjoyed Ichabod trying to do karaoke.

15. Craig says:

“He’s a young sailor cut down in his prime.” If that’s not foreshadowing (for Hawley?) I don’t know what is.

Also, Abbie’s “We’re fine” response while not looking at her sister says a hell of a lot more than her “yadda-yadda-yadda” defence of Katrina.

• Cute says:

She wasn’t looking at her sister because she WAS looking at Crane, because she wanted him to see that she was watching and encouraging him. She did that the entire scene, only glancing at her sister during most of that conversation, so that she didn’t take her eyes of Crane.

16. Nikki says:

So glad to not have dreaded Katrina in this clip. Ichabod has a lovely voice and I agree with Abbie that the talent is there, he just needs new material. Perhaps “the base” or hot Hawley might offer the latter.

17. Liz says:

I would love to continue reading the comments, but the constant bitching by some of the viewers gives me a headache. To those who complain and complain and complain about the writers, why don’t you go ahead, if you haven’t already, write your own fan fiction and get your satisfaction that way. Otherwise, LEAVE IT ALONE. Geez!

• Carla Krae says:

Agreed. I’m so tired of all the negativity all over the internet. I remember a time when complaining wasn’t the majority of what you saw!

• When something is going wrong, a community or the individuals can only advocate for changes by raising questions, debating issues or suggesting a different course. And if this is considered negativity or “not nice”, so be it.

I hope people carry on and if it defends you sensibilities or give you a “headache”….TOUGH.

• Angela says:

It’s one thing to respectfully voice concerns, its another thing to constantly beat something people are already aware of. You are simply bringing the show down and turning away viewers with your hateful rants. It doesn’t belong here. Keep it on tumblr.

• You stans are a piece of work. Evidently they have not gotten the message, because they are still pushing the Katrina character through Abbie. And why should people NOT voice their concerns until they get it right. People did not bring the show down. The folks over at SH are to blame for that. If you think that Katrina and Ichabod could carry the show you are as dumb as they are. Now how is that for a rant. And if you do not want to know what is happening on tumblr, STAY AWAY. No one is forcing you to be here or there.

• worldtraveler9 says:

To Katherine Miller: ” Evidently they have not gotten the message, because they are still pushing the Katrina character through Abbie. And why should people NOT voice their concerns until they get it right.”

I gather you haven’t yet read a recent interview Tom Mison did in which he mentioned that the writers are well aware of what has worked and not worked this season. Bear in mind that by the time the complaints about Katrina escalated after Deliverance, the episodes we have seen thus far, and the one coming up, had already been filmed. Changes are coming, starting in episode 15. However, fair warning Katrina will still be around, as the synopsis of that episode indicates she will learn something “unsettling about herself and her powers.”

• To worldtravel9: We will see….

• futonfighter says:

You mean when the show wasn’t in danger of cancellation.

If you don’t like vocal criticism because the show has been tanked by bad writing and focussing on weak characters then you need to go bury your head in the sand elsewhere.

People will comment on it at this point I don’t know what good keeping quiet will do.

• Ellie says:

I tried to post a reply but I don’t know if it’s been held back or cookies needed to be enabled.

I won’t reconstruct the entire comment but want to hit on a salient point you made that ties in with what The Librarians (produced by Dean Devlin and Noah Wylie) showrunners/writers said.

Your comment: “write your own fan fiction and get your satisfaction that way.”

This was what John Rogers the LIbrarians producer and writer have to say about the demands by fans: “”Our choices are our choices and we earned the right to make them, even if you don’t like them.”

I had my commentary to add but I’ll leave that as is.

• Ellie says:

John Rogers full commentary:

“I love your input, your questions, your theories, even your disdain when it’s amusing. But end of day, my scrappy writers and I are the ones who have to fill 50 pages of empty paper every week which are simultaneously amusing and shootable on a brutally tight budget and schedule and makes three levels of executives happy. Basically, know that I dig that you watch the show, we should be pals, but that particular line is not crossed. Our choices are our choices and we earned the right to make them, even if you don’t like them.”

• futonfighter says:

By which turn, the same applies to fan comment.

We can criticize what we like. That line is not to be crossed.

• Ellie says:

Final attempt in trying to post a reply that will go through.

By all means criticize all you want. Let it all out I say. Me? I very much apply the scrolling method in picking and choosing what I choose to read and comment on.

• If you find reading the postings are too much for you, I suggest you leave the board. No one is forcing you to read them. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and concerns.

18. KIm says:

This is what the rules are for commenting:
    “Comments are monitored, so don’t go off topic, don’t frakkin’ curse and don’t bore us with how much your coworker’s sister-in-law makes per hour. Talk smart about TV!”

So anyone that has a problem with anyone posting comments that are not to your liking, should do yourself a favor and stop reading them, because everyone is entitled to comment about how they feel about Sleepy Hollow, whether positive or negative, given that they are investing or have invested their time in the watching the show (which helps the ratings). And expressing what you like or dislike, is cathartic. In fact some of the ‘most loyal fans’ of this show, have negative comments, because they have been invested in ‘the suspension of disbelief” from the first episode of season 1. If you only want to see positive comments start a blog, and have your rules state “Only positive comments allowed.” And no one will fault you for it.

19. KIm says:

Abbie and Jennie have extraordinary chemistry, together. You can easily forget that they are not sisters in real life.

20. Chrissy says:

Tom rocked the Karaoke! Has a great voice! Really looking fwd to the Ichabbie duet…glad they dropped the Abbie/Hawley stuff.

21. Sandra says:

Ah, I knew it had to be something from the 18th century. Love that Abbie is finally ready to give Katrina the respect she is due. God knows she doesn’t get it from anyone from the petition group. Really, sending nasty message to Katia? What the hell is wrong with you people? Katrina hasn’t done anything but take away your fantastical aspirations and that hardly warrants the nastiness you’re dealing out. Harsh? Holy God, you passed that marker months ago. Let it go and move on already. We don’t need you, we want to enjoy the series and Katrina’s part in it WITHOUT YOUR ENTITLEMENT DRAMA.

• amjm2014 says:

I’m sorry but I didn’t get that from that scene but that just my opinion though… I want to know what petition group you are referring to.. I mean if people are sending nasty messages to Katia then that is totally not cool of them to do that but, it seems like you are putting all people in that group of the “you people” catergory. With any show and Sleepy Hollow is no difference you gonna have some who like some certain characters plain and simple. So are telling people not to speak their opinion when it comes to this show? I still enjoy this as much as I can but there are things that can be better about it.. and explain to me what do you mean about entitlement drama?

• Just Me says:

Sandra is under this crazy misconception that there’s literally a petition going around to get rid of Katrina (and I’ve never seen such a thing). I’ve seen upset fans make comments on the Sleepy Hollow facebook page, tweet the writers their concerns but no one is tweeting Katia directly. Sandra here also likes to call the upset portion of the fandom “Whiny, bi**hers”, “you people” “that faction” insinuates that people dislike Katrina because she’s “prettier” than Abbie and that “maybe BET is where you should be.”

• futonfighter says:

Please explain what respect Katrina is “due” given her constant undermining of Abbie as a Witness and endangerment of their mission? All when Abbie is bankrolling her and her husband.

• Who is the “you” you are referring to? While I agree that sending hate mail to the actress is ridiculous, most fans, of ALL ethnicities and of both genders, do NOT like the character and therefore voice their outrage on message boards. The reason? She is the worst not because of anything she did necessarily, but because she was underdeveloped in the first season and by that shouldn’t have taken such a role in the second. It just doesn’t fit; if they wanted Katrina to be so freaking relevant, they should’ve made her so from the beginning. Yes, she was in purgatory, but they could’ve found a way to give her more scenes. Perhaps then her weird bump to center stage wouldn’t seem so peculiar. Other than her being in the opening sequence, it is like they took a recurring character and decided she was so awesome they had to push her to the front. She is neither interesting nor awesome. Perhaps the male population doesn’t mind looking at her, especially as her outfits get increasingly tighter and revealing in a desperate attempt to give her some sort of edge, but that can’t carry a character for long.

Entitlement? That sounds vaguely racist IMO. I highly doubt the people that sent Katia hate mail are on this particular site, so there is no need to generalize like that. I could care less about the romance on my thriller shows, but I do indeed love the Tom/Nicole chemistry brought to SH, no matter the context. Not everyone is a zealot. With a post like that, I wouldn’t be surprised to learn you were sending Nicole Beharie hate mail–Signed Angry White Girl (redhead too, not a freaking wig) Who Hates Katrina.

22. azu says:

Why must people push icchabbie? They are better as friends and nothing more!!! And the more people pile on the hate for Katrina the more I sympathize with her. Guys please take it easy and don’t resort to such fanatical behaviours to show your disapproval against fictional characters

• But here you are advocating for Katrina, a fictional character. Get out of here….

• Kory says:

So, you want the show to die is what you’re saying

• Azu right? I have read all the comments on here and I have not read one that say anything about anyone pushing Ichabbie.. The comments are about his singing abilities and what was going on in the scene… with Jenny and Abbie. Not saying that you can’t sympathize with her (Katrina) but the people on here are just saying what there opinions are.

• Ichatrina stans always do that. They always derail the valid criticisms with pinning it as ‘mean old Ichabbie shippers’ rather than face facts that Katrina as a character is incredibly terrible. But she’s a Mary Sue and a self-insert, so they cling onto her as much as possible.

• mauve_avenger says:

Let me preface this by saying that while I wouldn’t hate Ichabod and Abbie winding up together, I’m fine with their relationship remaining platonic. When the show began, I was actually rooting for Katrinabod, but since season 2 began, all she’s been is a drag on the action. She has not done one helpful thingthis season- she got no useful information when she “let” herself be captured, she hadn’t even done anything magicwise to help much- yet we’re supposed to buy that she’s a vital enough member of the team that she deserves an entire episode? An episode mind you where she STILL want all that helpful. Meanwhile-while we watch Katrina play Harriet the Spy with HER Abbie- Frank has just returned from the dead and may or may not be evil and the team may have to kill him again. Katrina outs boring. That is my problem with her. It’s not that she’s holding, up any romantic development between Ichabod and Abbie; it’s that the show has to come to a screaming halt while the writers frantically attempt to prove she’s still around for a reason that’s not directly tired tho get marriage with Ichabod, and her showcase episode STILL failed to deliver. But, I’m not unreasonable. Maybe I misses something. Tell me why you like her?

23. GimmeMo says:

We enjoy the show with an attractive cast and the historical references bla bla!

24. Rich Abey says:

Okay there’s nothing in my head right now except “Ichabod singing a Lady Gaga song”!

25. Renee says:

I love this show, no matter what. Thought this was funny! Ich has a halfway decent voice too!

26. Gia says:

That bass, not bass comment was funny. This should be a fun episode.

• Ellie says:

I couldn’t hear the words of his muttering that line. So when I a viewer mentioned I thought that was such a perfect punch line. I’ll wait until the episode runs to listen to it again.

I have great anticipation of the song they’ll sing as a duet.

27. Max says:

Ichabod singing just makes me giggle, he just look so serious. Abbie’s right, he needs new material! LMAO! Jenny and Abbie talking is adorable! Talking about Headless and the biblical smiting Orion would have handed down to Sleepy Hollow was fine, but Abbie didn’t need to repeat Katrina being right. That was pretty much over and done.

28. Raven@71 says:

I love the way Abbie could barely keep her eyes off Ichabod while he was singing. Very cute. Love seeing Abbie and Jennie confiding in each other. I also agree they didn’t need to have Abbie repeat that nonsense about Katrina being “right” about letting Abraham go. They could have stopped Orion without letting Abraham go.

29. Erin Stockman says:

I think the love between ichibod and Katrina is being under played. Ichibod seems to have a 18th century fear of witches. I think they need to amp up Katrinas powers,to a frightening level of witch craft. Get that wishy washy love and patience concurs all BS. On the back burner,at least until ichi can deal with his witchy wife. I thought the point of Katrina was that she had major powers. Make her into the kick butt witch she is instead of a semi hippie mystic. She needs a new modern coven,maybe desdants of her old coven. I like a little love story in my scary stuff!

30. scampi says:

Really enjoyed this episode. The sisters talking, the Witnesses having honest discussion, Jenny kicking butt, Frank featured–all of it. Favorite moment was ‘are you having a moment?’ LOL! I don’t hate Katrina, but rather have her in small doses. I don’t know if she is being totally honest with Frank. Loved the look on Cynthia’s face when Frank said wanted to come home. May have taken him home, but definitely wouldn’t be sharing bed until had more info on just what’s happened. Loved the acknowledgment that a bond has to be tended to–partners, sisters, any bond.

31. The Karaoke was A GREAT TWIST…I WAS HOPING FOR TINA TURNER-esque DANCE MOVES. There’s gotta be some outtakes with hair flips etc…

One thing is annoying me greatly… WHY do those Mill’s girls pronounce Hawley’s name deliberately WRONG? They are clearly saying HOLLY. Wassupwitdat?