Hannibal Eyes True Blood Vamp as Tooth Fairy's Blind Love

Rutina Wesley Hannibal

Rutina Wesley is about to encounter a set of chompers that’ll make her True Blood vampire fangs look downright quaint.

VIDEOS Watch the Hannibal Season 3 Teaser Trailer

TVLine had learned exclusively that the actress is joining Hannibal‘s third season in the pivotal recurring role of Reba McClane, a blind woman who catches the eye of Francis Dolarhyde — AKA The Tooth Fairy (played by The Hobbit‘s Richard Armitage) — and represents his best chance at humanity.

The character, and her romance with Dolarhyde, is a major component of Thomas Harris’ Red Dragon novel, one book in the series on which Hannibal is based. Reba’s previously portrayers include Joan Allen (in 1986’s Manhunter) and Emily Watson (in 2002’s Red Dragon).

This marks Wesley’s first major TV role since wrapping her seven-year stint as Tara Thornton on True Blood.

NBC will serve up Hannibal Season 3 this summer.

1. Magali says:

Great news! She is such a great actress.

2. abz says:

I’m surprised by just how much Hannibal scoop is being posted over the past month because it’s gonna be a long time before its back.

• Sam says:

I wouldn’t be very surprised if it debuts in May during sweeps. The PR is working hard to remind people of the show. So you can be sure the return can’t be far. Even late April is possible.

• Ed says:

Also, a way to get a lot of buzz around the show so people who may not have seen seasons 1 and 2 have plenty of time to binge watch before season 3 starts. All the buzz lately (new cast members, teaser to new season) is a way to whet the appetite of loyal fans while trying to recruit new ones at the same time.

• danyelle says:

If its filming this stuff won’t stay a secret. Filthy paps see things. Doesn’t mean NBC will rush to air it any sooner.

3. abz says:

Is Laurence Fishburne character still on the show?

4. Jose says:

Pleaseeeee NO!!! I still havent put her awwwwful character from True Blood behind…. I need more time to accept her as more than that character i hated from TB

• Cousin O'yaya says:

So that actress who probably has bills to pay is supposed to stay out of work you can’t compartmentalize an actor and the role they play?

• Mik says:

I agree. It’s simply not fair that an actress is allowed back on screen if her previous role was not met with 100% viewer satisfaction. I feel absolutely horrible for what you’re going through.

5. Tran says:

Great casting news. Hope her new gig on Hannibal is going to be one “bloody” thrill ride.

6. Cousin O'yaya says:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!! best news I’v heard all week this is Awsome my favorite dark show is gonna have my favorite dar– , ah, Actress on it. and I know they might kill her off cause this is Hannible but at least will see it this time (true blood ). and It will at least be visually satifsying

• 666 says:

Don’t worry, Reba doesn’t die.

• Sammie says:

I enjoyed Tara’s death not being shown. It allowed her passing to not be remembered for the grotesque explosion of bloody slime, but for her finally being at peace with everything including her troubled relationship with her mother.

7. Sara says:

Hmm. I am reserving judgement on this one. All other casting news (especially Richard Armitage) has been super exciting for me, but I simply could not stand Tara on True Blood. That may not have been entirely Rutina Wesley’s fault though, as the writers really didn’t seem to know what to do with the character. However, the creative team behind Hannibal has done no wrong yet, so I will have an open mind on this casting choice and have faith in them to continue to produce such excellence.

• 666 says:

Her character was awful but I liked it. It became unwatchable later, though but we tend to be harder on female characters who are assholes than the same male characters who are assholes.

• Rebecca says:

Rutina’s a Juilliard trained actress. She’s going to kill (pun intended) in this role. Actors aren’t the characters that they play. If you can still like Richard after the crap writing of his final season on MI-5, then you can cut Rutina some slack for having the misfortune of being part of a show that didn’t know what to do with her character.

I’m EXCITED about them both. I cannot wait to see them onscreen together.

8. Timot says:

I think that Hannible is a great show. I am also very pleased that Rutina Wesley will be in the.third season!

9. Ian says:

Rutina is a Julliard trained actress. She’ll be amazing.

10. Das Snow says:

So, happy. I stopped watching the showing because too many of my favorite characters got killed off. But now I have a reason to watch it again. Loved Rutina on true blood (saved the seventh season) and I’m happy to be seeing her soon.
    I also read the red dragon book, but I’m not counting on Bryan fuller to stick to the plot line, so I’m worried about Rutrina’s chances to make it through the whole season.

11. Nicole says:

Watson and Fiennes made the Reba and Francis weird relationship romance oddly kinda sorta rootable for me in Red Dragon. Really intrigued by what Armitage and Wesley do with it on the show.

12. Inga7733 says:

Rutina Wesley is an excellent actress, cannot wait to see her on Hannibal.

13. Travis says:

I’m sorry, but I just don’t understand why so many people dislike Rutinas True Blood character so much.. Tara was my absolute favorite character and I thought her storyline made perfect sence.. Except I was so upset when she was killed so soon after becoming a vamp…but I loved the way they tied up her story in the end and I believe that helped make sense of the reason she was the way she was throughout the whole show.. I just think her character and especially her acting skills were beyond flawless and amazing.. I can’t wait to see what else she has in store:)