Mistresses Star Teases 'Brilliant,' Time Jump-Free Fix for Alyssa Milano's Exit

If the Season 2 finale of Mistresses — which ended with Alyssa Milano’s Savi about to bust her ex-husband and her younger sister mid-makeout — had you anxiously covering your eyes, you may want to maintain that position when the delectable sudser returns to ABC this summer.

Series star Jes Macallan tells TVLine that there’ll be no convenient time lapse to neutralize the fallout from the long-percolating hookup between her Joss and Brett Tucker’s Harry — or to deal with Milano’s unplanned exit ahead of the show moving production to Vancouver.

“We pick up right where we left off,” Macallan teases. “I was just talking to the producers, saying, ‘How are you going to do that?’ But they’re like, ‘It’s brilliant!'” And there won’t be any “weirdness” involving a CGI Savi, either, the actress adds.

From a dramatic standpoint, the decision makes sense, argues Macallan. “We really thought there was going to have to be a time jump, but they figured that out. Why skip away from [the drama of the Season 2 finale] and be like, ‘Here are our characters six months later'”? she asks. “It’d feel like a disservice. Everyone had big news coming in. Karen’s on the phone with the doctor, April’s got her daughter watching the TV [learning that] her dad was alive and now dead. Let’s go back to those moments. And that’s what were going to do. I’m excited.”

Macallan says she understood Milano’s “heartbreaking” decision not to continue with the show — “she’s a momma, she can’t move to Vancouver” — but once she’d processed the news, she says she began to wonder, “OK, who’s coming in new? What’s going to happen next?”

And what does Macallan think about Mistresses‘ fans very split response to Joss and Harry finally surrendering to their taboo attraction? “I love that! That’s what we wanted,” she says. “We just want to start a dialogue, always, and we accomplished that.

“To see the reactions, I was so happy that everyone wasn’t angry,” Macallan adds. “That’s all we wanted, was to not end the season with, ‘Aw, crap, you can’t do that!’ People were like, ‘I get it.’ They really do have a lot of love there, and it just happened.” (With reporting by Matt Webb Mitovich)

Excited that Mistresses won’t skip ahead to kick off Season 3? Any hopes for which actress might get added to the mix of core characters? Still coping with news of Milano’s exit? Sound off in the comments!

1. jodi says:

I’m glad they’re not time jumping. It would destroy the emotion that left us hanging during the last few scenes. Thought to be honest, they could time jump to next year and it still wouldn’t affect my obsession with the show..

2. Tran says:

Moving on without Alyssa Milano is going to hurt the upcoming season. OUCH!!

• Karla says:

no it won’t as long as they bring in someone good.. and the stories are good .. it should be ok… I have to admit that April’s story line last season bored me to tears.. and she seems to act all goody goody.. like she was above doing anything morally wrong… just like Savi…. I hope the stories are better for the upcoming season

3. edanderson13 says:

My guess is that Savi will be killed by a random act of violence. It’ll set up the guilt storyline for Joss and Harry that was probably coming

4. ... says:

So, Milano won’t even film a goodbye, it sounds like. That’s a bit of a crock and it tells me that the split is less amicable than they’re portraying. I mean, where does it say that a family with small children can’t move? Her children aren’t school age yet and she has all the money necessary to hire help while she’s filming, so I’m just not buying the reason.

• Joe says:

She didn’t want to , that’s reason enough

• mo says:

Money aside, have you ever actually MOVED with small children? It’s not fun. At all. Ever. Under any circumstances. I totally understand.

• TAB says:

I do think it’s strange that she won’t film a goodbye scene for a show that’s been good to her. I get it that she doesn’t want to move, but she could have at least agreed to film a small scene. She should remember how difficult it is for a show to write out a character offscreen [Charmed/Doherty]. Savi was not my favorite character, so I’m fine with her leaving, but I do hope this isn’t lame. If they kill her off I will laugh out loud.

• SJ says:

Yeah, I’m not buying it either. I get her not wanting to move and uproot her young family but shooting a few scenes for the season 3 premiere to close out her story as a courtesy to the people she’d been working alongside of for two years would have been the fair thing to do and it wouldn’t have taken her more than 2-3 days.

• dragons3 says:

Who says Milano won’t film a goodbye scene? Maybe the producers didn’t ask her to.

5. Kristine says:

Ummmm NO most everyone was angry and I’m not going to watch it now. #notsorry

• JMichelle says:

I agree. Sorry but I HATED the Joss/Harry getting together thing. I will not watch this show for season 3. To betray your sister like that is just wrong simple as that. Disgusting, despicable and low down dirty trashy. I was so disappointed.

• Dori says:

I agree. It really disgusted me.

• peanut says:

I agree. And I think they have jumped the shark. But I agree too that it must be a random actof violence. And thecommitment between harry and joss is so strong that his next love interest has already been picked out. Yeah, right.

6. Eric7740 says:

My question is, why can’t Ms. Milano come and film a few scenes to wrap up the story? Seriously, you can’t come film for one day maybe two? Thats just my thought/opinion. If it were me, I would be more than happy to do that, in order to give my fans and the shows fans closure.

7. K says:

Really wish Alyssa could’ve found some time in her schedule to film a proper goodbye :/ anyway. I want Holly Marie Combs to join the cast! – aside from the charmed connection, she also started in a Mistresses pilot years ago

8. dude says:

Off camera Savi gets hit by a bus. BOOM.

9. Iakovos says:

So glad there will be a Season 3 for my MISTRESSES. There was a sophomore slump but the heat turned up as the weeks went by. Will miss Alyssa Milano, of course, but soaps evolve and life means people come and go. Eager for the twists and turns ahead.

10. M. A. M. says:

One of my favorite shows! I’m so happy that you are going to continue where we were left hanging. I will miss Alyssa Milano but I think all of the other actors are absolutely awesome. My only request would be that the season would last longer. I am having a hard time dealing with such a lengthy time without one of my all time favorite shows

11. B says:

I love Alyssa she’s so sweet that I don’t think she wont or wouldn’t film some scenes to wrap up Savi’s storylines but maybe she wasn’t asked to do so just a thought but I hope these writers know what their doing do they not get that America love Alyssa lol

12. Karla says:

it does seem a bit weird.. her character got on my nerves… and I liked the suggestion that they bring in Holly C…. she would make an excellent addition to the cast… I’ll still watch the show.. loosing her is no big deal… for me.. I just want someone great… as a replacement

13. Jeri Dickinson says:

Does anyone else think that Karen will be pregnant? Can’t wait for the show to come back

14. Karla says:

I have to admit that April’s story line last season bored me to tears.. and she seems to act all goody goody.. like she was above doing anything morally wrong… just like Savi…. I hope the stories are better for the upcoming season.. but I’m a loyal fan of the show and will keep on watching…

15. Jeri Dickinson says:

Does anyone else think that Karen will be pregnant??

16. LL624 says:

It sucks that Alyssa won’t be in the show anymore. She’s the reason I tuned in. Been a fan since Who’s the Boss. With her out and this Joss/Harry story which I hate, I don’t know how much I can watch of next season, if at all. Of course, if they bring in another actress I like it could change my mind.

Also, I wonder what this means for Jason George. There’s no need for Dom without Savi. They could hook him up with the new character or one of the other girls, but would anyone care?

17. Mayra eva Alvarez says:

I love alyssa she is the reason I started to see the show, know am in love with all of them please go on with the show. Find onother charm one.lol

18. Amy says:

I’m glad there won’t be a time jump. As for Savi, I’m not sad to see the character go. I haven’t been a fan of Alyssa Milano since Charmed.

I am however excited about Joss/Harry. I’ve been waiting for two seasons for something to happen. It’s going to be a bumpy road for them but that’ll just make it all the more interesting.

19. I’m sorry but the original UK Mistresses was better, all the woman on there were likable, sure they had their faults which is the whole point of the name, but non were back stabbers or really slutty, they were like real woman making bad choices in their lives, plus when they had the lesbian part in the 1st season it was much better too! Apparently the only thing they copied from the original was the idea of getting rid of the lesbian character, so they could have all straight woman! Which is the only thing I didn’t like about the original, the lesbian story line was the best part the original, but this one didn’t even do that as good as the original! I thought ABC canceled it, instead they just down graded it and sent it to Vancouver! What they should do is hire Anna Torv who played the lesbian Alex in the original UK one and make her a new lesbian, then their ratings would go up for sure, but their too stupid for that! Sure I think Jennifer Esposito is a good choice, I like her, but they could get some of the fans of the original to watch if they added Anna Torv too!

20. Ileia Fauver says:

Apparently she didn’t read any of the comments posted on their Facebook after season 2 ended with such a bang. I personally loved the ending, leaving so many cliffhangers. It was perfect, but a lot of fans thought the hook up between Joss and Henry went too far and vowed to never watch the show again. Sad really. Them being together was inevitable. I saw it coming the moment Savi and Henry split. The connection between the 2 characters was too heavy to not make it happen that way. I just hope that in season 3 they are still together and keep it that way. I believe the leave of Savi will come when she finds out about her sister and ex husband.

21. acurat says:

I know Milano is leaving for the move just like anyone else who follows this, but does she make it back for one more scene at the start of this season? In other words, did they film a few more scenes in LA to finish her role? Like a day of filming?

22. lulu says:

I’m really upset that savy is not in this season and I low key don’t like joss because what she did is completely messed up. I feel like this season is going to annoy me. DAMN, I really did like this show

23. Patterson says:

It’s not all about uprooting her children I read somewhere her husband is not leaving his job and they refuse to live apart in this day and time especially in Hollywood successful marriages are a dime a dozen. So kudos to Alyssa she’s not a newbie actress that has to work if she doesn’t need to!! I hate the storyline with Joss & Harry that’s really lowclass, sisters should never cross that line. nasty harlot lol (no cursing)