Ratings: Backstrom Better Than Rake, TVD Ties Low, A to Z Finale and P'hood Tick Up, Elementary Matches High

Backstrom Season 1 Preview

Fox’s Backstrom premiered on Thursday night to 8 million total viewers and a 2.0 demo rating, up 14 and 18 percent from Rake‘s year-ago debut out of American Idol.

TVLine readers gave the freshman procedural an average grade of “B-.”

Idol opened Fox’s night with 10.5 mil and a 2.7, adding a few eyeballs plus a tenth in the demo week-to-week.

Elsewhere….

CBS | Once again leading out of a Big Bang rerun (11.6 mil/2.4), Mom (11.2 mil/2.5) was up a tenth. Two and a Half Men (9.6 mil/2.3) and Elementary (leading out of an old Bang with 8.2 mil/1.5) each added two tenths in the demo, with the latter tying its season high.

NBC | Biggest Loser (4.6 mil/1.2), the finales of Bad Judge (3 mil/0.8) and A to Z (2.1 mil/0.6), and Parenthood‘s penultimate weepfest (4.4 mil/1.3) each ticked up a tenth. Of note, A to Z‘s viewership grew 24 percent, while P’hood delivered its second largest audience of the season.

THE CW | Both Vampire Diaries (1.65 mil/0.7) and Reign (1.25 mil/0.4) ticked down in total viewers and in the demo, with TVD tying its series low.

ABC | The Taste‘s season finale (3 mil/0.8) ticked down a tenth to tie a series low.

1. Dean says:

Great for mom, I don’t get why some are giving if grief its funny and it can handle serious subject matters in a proper way and yet still be entertaining. Bad for CW but all their shows have been renewed so it doesn’t matter. Backstrom is gonna get slaughtered when Blacklist comes back next week.

2. Network says:

Yes, so it does look like Mom is totally headed for cancellation now. /sarcasm. Looks like the show doesn’t really need any of those people quitting the show because a guest star’s character died

3. javadude54 says:

I’m glad to see that Elementary is doing well. It’s one of my favorite shows of all time and keeps getting better and, unlike most other TV shows, has characters showing growth and change. If it was up to me to pick Emmy winners Jonny Lee Miller would get best actor every year. The man’s Sherlock is absolutely brilliant.

• Boiler says:

Very well said. Too bad it is up against this years hit. I have always liked this show and love Lucy and Jonny Lee.

• Guest says:

Elementary must be the first show that, instead to drive Joan & Sherlock further apart, brings a thirds party that actually helps them move forward in Kitty. Now, more Clyde wouldn’t damage, but the show is doing great!

4. Eric7740 says:

Can The CW please say that season 7 of The Vampire Diaries is the final season, I love TVD but when I find looking at my Ipad is more interesting than paying attention to a tv show, that says something.

5. Boiler says:

Gee can we please hope there is a chance for Hart of Dixie?? Shame if it was gone with some of these other shows dropping. At least it is consistent and not far off Reign, etrc.

• Kristen says:

Yes, I am still hoping for HOD too. The ratings are about the same as Reign and on a Friday as well. I know season 3 was awful but this season has been amazing so far. Hope they give it a chance and we get more zoe and wade😊

6. Tran says:

Last night’s Mom was indeed a “shocker” but it’s going to get even worse for the rest of Season Two. Can’t wait to see how Parenthood is going to end next week which will bring everyone to tears (bring one last box of Kleenex if you have to).

7. Scott says:

Anyone know why The McCarthys was bumped last night? It was supposed to be new. I know the ratings haven’t been goid, but I’ve been enjoying it.

8. Anonymous says:

I love Backstrom Fox new real cop show. Finally a cop show that comes close to how detective in real life act. It suppose to a comedy; but if are on the force you know that Backstrom is a lot more life then CSI or the numerous detective TV shows!

9. curtlyon19 says:

backstrom better than Rake? gotta be the U.S. version which was dreadful and not hard to be better than
    the Aus RAKE was amazing tho

10. Pat says:

I watch Mom’s last night and the ending with Cristie sitting in the chair and finally grieving had me crying along with her. Also,I started to watch Backstorm, but completely lost interest in it after 10 minutes.

• rowan77 says:

Re: Mom, I love how it showed how far Christy’s come. She was a horrible parent when she was drunk and stoned, and while starting out as a sober person, she was still pretty selfish (which was more than apparent when she kid the fact that she hadn’t paid rent in three months and they were about to be evicted). But this week she did what Moms are supposed to do – the care of everyone – from Roscoe to Violet and, of course, being there for Bonnie, she held herself together until it was okay for her to finally grieve herself. Spoke volumes. She still screwed up, but she’s becoming the Mom she’s supposed to be. I think the writers did a great job – even if they did kill of Kevin Pollack – who I thought was great in the role.

11. kmw says:

Backstrom did better than I thought with viewers and worse than I thought with demos. Next week comes Scandal the week after Blacklist. It probably did what FOX was expecting but those numbers are going to go down, this show does not have the buzz that Empire has

12. Khalil says:

Looking forward to Scandal and Black list starting up. Empire is great. That new show Backstrom was annoying. Fox should cancel it and find something better.

13. TVSERIESADDICT says:

i am really deeply satisfied with mom’s rating and i still think it deserves way more. All thanks to alyson’s advertisement from the People’s Choice Awards haha!

14. I thought Backtrom was terrific.