Post Mortems

Chasing Life EP Talks April and Leo's 'Epic Bond,' New Obstacles to Come

Chasing Life Spoilers

Chasing Life fans breathed a collective sigh of relief during Monday’s winter premiere when Leo finally emerged from his months-long coma, alive and well. But he left us with one very important question: “Now what?”

TVLine posed that exact question — and more — to executive producer Sean Patrick Smith, who teased major developments for the show’s central couples. All of ’em.

TVLINE | First of all, on behalf of the fans, thank you for not killing Leo.
We actually wrote two versions, one where he lived and one where he died. There were many discussions about which direction we should go, and I’m very happy with where we landed.

TVLINE | He seems to be his old self, from what we saw, but how has the surgery affected him?
He made that joke in the holiday episode where he said, “It is brain surgery.” It’s something that affects your personality, your memory, so much. He’s going to have a struggle in [these 10 episodes], figuring out how to live his life now that the tumor is gone. He’ll need to find his purpose and deal with the physical and psychological repercussions of the surgery. This will all affect his relationship with April.

TVLINE | Will they walk this road to recovery together?
In a way, yeah. They’re both in a unique position from when we saw them in 1A. They’re both cancer-free, and things should be easier, but the fact that they were both dealing with this illness was sort of this epic bond between them. Once that bond is gone, it begs the question: Why are they together? What does work for them? Can they be each other’s caretaker? There’s a real shift in the dynamic of the relationship.

Chasing Life SpoilersTVLINE | In your words, how does April feel about Dominic right now?
She’s racked with guilt. They still have feelings for each other. If neither of them cared about each other, that breeds indifference, and he was obviously not indifferent towards her in the premiere, nor was she to him. She feels guilty about the way things happened, and he’s still dealing with the betrayal, which is something we get into in 1B. We find out why he was so crushed by what April did.

TVLINE | I also love that George and Sarah are giving into their feelings, but I love even more that Emma is now in on the secret. How’s that going to play out?
Emma is somebody who has sat back and watched this family’s secrets emerge, and she’s seen how damaging they can be to the people she loves. She holds [Sarah and George’s] feet to the fire once she knows what’s going on, and she says, “If you guys are serious about this, when and how are you going to tell the girls?” They have to decide how serious they are about the relationship now before they go public with it.

TVLINE | And then there’s Brenna and Greer, who now have both of their families opposing their relationship. How’s that going to work?
Our intent with this story in the premiere was to up the obstacles and the stakes of their relationship. They’re having to sneak behind their parents’ backs — which is not something Brenna is necessarily new to — and they both have to get a little messy to be together. Brenna is so different now than she was in the pilot; we wanted her to do all the wrong things for the right reasons, which is to save her relationship.

Speak up, Chasing Life fans: How glad were you when Leo opened his eyes? And what do you hope to see next between him and April, as well as the rest of the show’s couples? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Blabla says:

Thank you for the gift of Leo being alive!
    I am so so glad!

2. JL says:

“They have to decide how series they are about the relationship now before they go public with it.”

How SERIES? Uhm… ;-)

3. Cass says:

I’m so happy this show is back, and even with a rocky road ahead of them, Leo being alive is enough to keep me satisfied for now. My biggest hope is that Brianne moves on from Greer, because that character is so boring.

• Cass says:

Brenna, not Brianne

• Nancy says:

Yeah that is not what they said JL. They never said they were going to have a relationship!In fact what he said is “Can they be each other’s CARETAKER” He never said “can they be lovers”. Not once did that get mentioned. Sorry Leo fans. even Italia said that April “Made a mistake” by sleeping with leo.

• Cass says:

I did not say romantic relationship, just relationship, and based on the previews they’ve shown, it looks like they are in for a rough patch. Do I like them as a couple? Yes. Do I expect the show to go there before the first season is up? Not really.

• Hoshi says:

Love how you worded this and I agree. I just enjoyed they’re back and forth. I do hope they give Dominic some personality, I didn’t like him in the 1B premiere
          :( (don’t get me wrong, I like his character. But this scorned lover makes him a little blah)

• fiberlicious says:

IS IT ‘MANGLE THE LANGUAGE DAY”?????

• tsevca says:

More importantly, he had nothing against the break, he was fine with it. So what is he bitching about now? Is the problem that he thought the break is for him? Because he was going to be around many partying girls and it would be difficult to stay faithful – that was the reason, why they came up with it. So what is it about now? That he didn´t use it and she did?

• LostSoul says:

The Brenna/Greer relationship is the most interesting one on the series right now! Good girl falls for bad girl – It’s classic storytelling!

#TeamGrenna

4. Carrie says:

I am so glad they didn’t kill Leo. Even if they don’t end up together he’s good on the show.

5. Julia says:

“This new version of me doesn’t feel like being friends” -Leo…so does that mean he wants to be MORE than friends?! Gosh I hope so.

6. Em says:

I am really, really, REALLY glad that they didn’t choose the version where Leo dies. He’s by far one of the best characters in this show and his dynamics with April are amazing.

7. Jo says:

Seriously, am I the only one that feels really bad about Dominic and actually prefers him over Leo?! He never stood a chance…

• Nancy says:

No you aren’t. And based on what Italia said in an interview about the first episode, April and Dominic are not over and that he does something that will surprise everyone. I like Leo okay but not as a boyfriend for April. He’s too selfish and they really only had cancer in common.

8. JM says:

I’m really glad that Leo is alive. I hope him and April have good scenes together

9. LostSoul says:

Of the the three romantic relationships on the series; the April/Leo/Dominic triangle is the least interesting. In fact, I find April’s behavior utterly selfish. Dominic and Leo could do better.

But, the romance between Brenna and Greer, with it’s Juliet/Juliet bent; is just so endearing; it honestly makes me hope that those two crazy kids can find true love!

And, speaking of romance; the character of Beth – Played with unabashed humor by actress Aisha Dee – Is a character who could stand to have her own love match; to give her someone to trade barbs with other than April!

10. fiberlicious says:

No one’s brain has been strung up on a pillory, Andy. WRACKED.

11. nancy says:

She feels guilty? Really? You could sure as hell fool me. She has no guilt at all. She has yet to sincerely apologize to the man. Dominic barely gets any screen time. It’s all Leo and April. If this continues, I’m done.

12. nancy says:

If April feels guilty about Dominic you could fool me! There has been no hint of that. And Aprila and Dominic are not getting closer as aluded. I am getting impatient.

13. nancy says:

For those of you saying they had broken up before she slept with Leo? You’re WRONG. Why? because in the first part of the season when he came back and then he left her after he found out about Leo? She told Beth she had been DUMPED. Um how can she have been dumped if they were not together? And why did he say to her “I got my heart broken yet I am the bad guy for DUMPING a girl with cancer”. So no they were not broken, she DID cheat and she has to fix it.

14. JAM says:

I think that Leo cares deeply for April as evidenced by how jealous he is of Dominic (read between the lines). Their relationship is going to change because they are changing as the show progresses; however, an interesting dynamic would be to have April become pregnant.

15. Nancy Farkas says:

WHERE is the promised Dominic stuff? Every week it’s nothing but Leo. Dominic is lucky to get 5 minutes of screen time. what the heck? Get rid of Leo please