Gotham Recap: Shocks and Awwww

“What goes down must come up” — while not at all true, per physics — could describe the trajectory of Gotham episodes, seeing as the Fox drama again rebounded from a lackluster episode (last week’s  trip to the loony bin) with an hour that actually moved plot along.

In “What The Little Bird Told Him,” Jim Gordon angled to get his detective’s badge back by promising Commissioner Loeb (an impressively steely Peter Scolari) that he’d track down Arkham escapee Jack Gruber né Buchinsky aka “The Electrocutioner” within 24 hours. Though Jim had no plan in place to do so — much to partner Harvey’s amazement/amusement — he soon enough deduced that Buchinsky had an axe to grind with Don Maroni.

So, after Maroni’s crew got zapped by one of Buchinsky’s stooges, Jim convinced the crime boss to accept protective custody at the GCDP, as “bait.” Sure ’nuff, The Electrocutioner Gotham-ep112_scn37_20380_hires1showed up and KO’d everyone in the cop shop… save for Jim, who had taken Edward’s advice to wear his rubbers. (Alas, Jim then neutered the brilliant Electrocutioner with a splash of coffee. Cheat.)

Elsewhere within that A-story, Edward offered workplace crush Kristen Kringle a riddle in the form of a cupcake with a bullet inside it, only to get written off as “weird” — a word that visibly upsets him — while Jim wrapped his long, hard day by finding Dr. Leslie “Please, Call me Lee” Thompkins waiting for him outside the locker room shower. They wasted no time getting in their steamy first kiss (while Barbara received the big chill when crashing at her parents’ house).

Though I’m unsure of Gotham’s ultimate plan for Dr. Thompkins, I like that they kinda just said “Eff it” and fast-tracked the romance with Jim. We all knew that’s where it was going, so just get there. No foreplay needed (no pun intended).

You also know it’s a good episode when the often-tedious mob war story captures your attention. This episode was about to try my patience, as Fish uncorked a wholly obvious scheme to force Falcone out of town. Luckily, Penguin recovered from The Electrocutioner’s attack on the GCPD in time to put the bug in Falcone’s ear that Liza was planted in his life, by Fish. As a result, Falcone arrived at Fish’s (always empty) nightclub not with his tail between his legs but armed to the gills. And upon confirming Penguin’s hunch, he choked Liza to death, chided Fish for using the memory of his “sainted mother” against him, and then took Fish and Butch prisoner. And just like that, Falcone got 10x more interesting.

What did you think of the Ben Edlund-penned “What The Little Bird Told Him”?

1. WMJ4520 says:

Even Barbara’s parents don’t want her around. Can we please improve this show 100% and get rid of this woman?!

2. JulieAnn says:

Jim and Leslie are really good together. Babs can go. Falcone gave me the chills.

3. Jeff hunter says:

Nice episode,missed the kids being in t but nice ep.Next week looks good as well,it going to be interesting to see what happens in the back half of the season and Thank You to Fox for renewing it for year 2!

4. Simon says:

Anyone else hoping Ben Mackenzie was gonna walk out in a towel at the end. Even though he didn’t it was still a pretty good episode.

5. donholley77 says:

The Best Episode so far! So glad ‘Gotham was renewed for Season 2! Just hope they stay the course, & don’t turn it into ‘The BatMan Show ‘-yet!

6. Hey Jada, Ertha Kitt called, says she wants you to stop copying her hammy Batman acting style!

It has to be Penguin who ends her (just for some sort of fish related pun), but is it too hopeful to think Fish will be gone sooner rather than later?

For me she’s the biggest dampener in the show.

7. A Fan says:

Keeps getting better and better. Glad there will be a season 2. Just hope the momentum keeps up.

8. Flamingo says:

I love Fish. I hope she stays, but I know I’m in the minority. Also, did anyone get the bullet in the cupcake riddle.? I didn’t. :-(

• Italia says:

The only thing that came to mind was “Velvet Revolver” Slash’s rock band, don’t know if that’s the real answer though.

• JerkFace says:

It is a foreshadowing tool. Velvet Revolver has a song, “Psycho killer.” Not a great riddle but a nice Easter egg about Edward becoming the Riddler.

• Chelsea L. Morrison says:

A reference to the phrase “A beautiful woman is a dangerous thing. “

9. Dillie Jasper says:

I don’t think I imagined it but the Penguin got a call on a cell phone. Huh?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

They’ve always had cells. But use overhead projectors at the GCPD. It’s all incongruences.

• Dillie Jasper says:

Thanks. I guess I’ll just have to “let it go” and not watch THAT closely. For some reason the show had my undivided attention last night.

10. Ken says:

I have watched Gotham from the beginning and I like it very much, but this was easily the WORST episode of the season. There was absolutely no plotline logic to anything that happened, every “development” was a pure (and convenient) coincidence, the dialogue was abysmal (and self-contradictory) and very talented actors were absolutely wasted. I watch Arrow, Flash, Agent Carter, SHIELD, etc. and I was tempted to remove Gotham from my TiVo Season Pass, that’s how bad last night was. I’ll give it a couple more weeks, but the character motivation, dialogue, and plot development is getting weaker by the week.

11. ron says:

anyone look at the above page? you have conflicting rating information in the same block. the ratings are either high or low good or bad. they can’t be both.

12. Bill says:

Maybe it’s just me. I liked last weeks episode

13. I liked Jim and the doctor. They got chemistry. I know, I know they’re NOT canon (and unfortunately, their pairing probably won’t last on the show because of this), but I like watching people who work well together. I like watching people WITH chemistry. Like Jim and Alfred. Jim and his partner in GCPD (sorry, his name eludes me right now). He and Barbara, however, uh… I don’t see it. Not yet, at least. The thing is, Jim and Barbara already got a lot of episodes over Jim and the doctor, and yet I saw the latter’s chemistry immediately when they met in Arkham.
    P.S. Penguin is really good. As is Nygma.

14. Liza says:

I hope that they will work on barbara’s storyline, it will be great if she becomes evil. I really do want to know her story. People should give her a chance, i really do see chemistry between her and jim. We just don’t know her well. I hope they won’t do the same with her character as what they did with laurel lance on arrow. Everyone knows she becomes the bc but now nobody likes her (also because of felicity) but still she deserved more, and i think that barbara deserves more. Great work from the penquin, nygma and falcone. It was a great episode!