Kevin Hart Hosts SNL: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches

Kevin Hart fans, I hope you enjoyed The Wedding Ringer this weekend. Because, unfortunately, his Saturday Night Live hosting gig was a pretty dismal affair — packed with head-scratching sketches that should never have made it past the brainstorming stages.

Thankfully, Kate McKinnon helped salvage the hour by introducing a delightfully wacky “Weekend Update” character and skewering everybody’s least-favorite celebrity spokesperson.

Below, my picks for the night’s best and worst sketches.

BEST: Mrs. Santini
McKinnon’s grinning but cantankerous apartment dweller read scathing notes directed at her neighbors — including “the Mario Batali of hot garbage.” Her description of an infected earring hole and explanation of how a vet’s office is similar to a Dunkin’ Donuts were utterly wrong — and totally guffaw-inducing.

BEST: Justin Bieber for Calvin Klein
McKinnon’s delicious takedown of the pint-sized poser included sipped juice boxes, tragic pushups and Cecily Strong as a supermodel cringing her way through supposedly sexy scenarios. Sample dialogue: “Yo, my pee-pee’s in there!”

WORST: Soap Opera Reunion
One of the slightest setups in recent SNL history featured Vanessa Bayer as a daytime TV actress upset that her walk-on music differed from that of her co-stars. Perhaps this laugh-free sketch will prompt Lorne Michaels to ban the overused faux talk-show setup from the show for the next few weeks?

WORST: Escaping the Castle
Hart played a guy attempting to flee a kingdom under siege by dragons — if only the royal court would stop bursting into song about finding a new land. Was Hart ad-libbing his rants or did the show’s writers simply not bother to give him any punch lines?

What did you think of this week’s SNL? How would you rate Hart as a host? What was your favorite sketch? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. rebecca says:

I don’t find Kevin Hart all that funny. When he used to do the round table on Chelsea Lately I thought he was annoying, so suffice it to say I thought he was a terrible host.

2. Sarah says:

It was a decent episode. Sia made it worth a watch.

3. Linda L says:

I’m not a Kevin Hart fan but strangely enough I thought this was a great episode. I thought the cold open was funny, loved his monologue, and laughed through most of the sketches. Don’t agree with you at all…..

• KatsMom says:

Oh good. I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought it was entertaining. I’m not going to say I guffawed at the sketches, but I was amused by most of them. I did laugh out loud a few times during his monologue though. Good stuff. I was pretty impressed with him handling all the technical difficulties in the first sketch too.

• Patrick says:

Ditto. Admittedly, it nosedived, hard, after WU, but it was fantastic up until then. The cold open was good, and the Hart’s monologue was genius. It kept up from that point until WU, after which it was even worse than the first 2/3 were good.

• Marc says:

I thought there was more good than bad, which is unusual for SNL. Both the cold opening and the monologue were very good, though the latter is par for the course with standup hosts who obviously do their own material and don’t have to rely on Lorne’s writers. Even the bad sketches were better than the worst of most shows. Bonus points for working through the blank screen in the Instagram. Did they show it out west or did they replace it with the dress rehearsal?

4. Tran says:

I don’t know why SNL booked Kevin Hart to come back as host. I mean he was a disappointment the first time he hosted back in March 2013 (Season 38) and last night he did it again and I have a feeling he may very well be one of the worst SNL hosts I’ve ever seen to return and let’s hope third time won’t be the charm for Mr. Hart. My MVP of the night has to be Kate McKinnon who stole the spotlight for her great Justin Bieber impression. Overall I give the Kevin Hart episode of SNL a D. Not a great way to kick off the first show of 2015. Really hope next week’s SNL with Blake Shelton would definitely be way better than Kevin Hart was.

5. Sandra says:

Kate McKinnon is always MVP. Her Bieber made my week.

6. cookie says:

I really thought it was gonna be so funny, but it wasn’t. They waisted Kevin’s talent. I saw the wedding ringer on Friday nite and I was expecting to be on the floor with side aching laughter. Why didn’t Josh do a walk on or Katie Cocoo? Even a take off on the Hollywood husbands, could have been done with white husbands? What gives the skits were stupid and junvinille. They could have done sonority skits something! !! I keep waiting for it to really take off. Also they could have done a take off on the “Hobbits” being Kevin’s so short, really writers???

7. Brandon says:

I really love this cast, every one of them, but WHAT is the deal with the writing?

8. J.B. says:

I found this episode to be one of the worst ones this year and that’s saying ALOT!
    I only watched it for Sia & I now regret not just recording it and FF through the skits.

9. Kris says:

Kevin Hart was fine… but SIA was AMAZING! Wow. just Wow.

10. Richard says:

Kevin Hart was really good. It was the writing and skit ideas that were bad. Hart was the only good thing about some of the skits.

11. LAwoman says:

I enjoyed the opening, the monologue, anything Kate McKinnon and Sia. So overall, I guess it wasn’t terrible.

12. Carrie says:

I wasn’t expecting much, but I actually enjoyed this one. Aside from the two worst sketches mentioned, it was pretty solid. The Calvin Klein ads were hilarious, I actually liked the James Brown sketch and I thought the Instagram sketch was pretty funny (and accurate). Even the cold open and his monologue were surprisingly good. I also enjoyed Sia, so I’d say it was pretty entertaining overall.

13. DavidSask says:

Kevin Hart is not funny! SNL please retire ALL talk show segments. get a clue already!!!

14. sladewilson says:

The Corner Boys in Bkln skit was funny. A little modern day Wire takeoff…. He was okay…

15. herman1959 says:

I caught the cold-open, which was cute, and the monologue which was really hilarious, THEN I turned off the show because I know how to quit when I’m ahead.

16. Liz says:

KH was fun, but the Weekend Update segment was terrible! This is usually my fav part of SNL, but the two new hosts have no chemistry, charm and they are not at all funny :( it’s such a shame!

17. puck says:

To each is own. I thought Kevin and only Kevin was the best part of the show.

18. WL says:

I thought the James Brown sketch and the rapper revealing secrets were funny – and I’m not normally a fan of SNL.

19. Runner says:

I thought the show was better than it usually is. Kevin’s monologue was great. I genuinely laughed and enjoyed. He brought good energy and professionalism to the show. Sia ROCKED the house down. Overall, a good effort.

20. Gail Herring says:

As a continuous viewer of SNL Saturday’s show hosted by Kevin Hart was one of the funniest shows I’ve seen on SNL in a very long time. I agree with the worst skits of the show but the other skits rounded out the show. Great job this week SNL.

21. Mo says:

I thought the open and the monologue were pretty funny…at least funnier than a LOT of the sketches this season. I have to admit I didn’t see much after that.

22. Luis says:

I thought there might have been three funny sketches during the show . . . but it was nice to see Marcel Marceau and Thing #1 and Thing #2 are still getting work