Chicago Fire, P.D. Plot February Sweeps Crossover — Plus: Is Chicago Med Next?

Chicago Fire

The doctor is in on Chicago Fire.

The NBC drama — which has already spawned spinoff Chicago P.D. — will play host to an “integrated episode” this season for a possible Chicago Med offshoot.

PHOTOS Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Scoop-Filled Guide to 27 Returning Favorites

“We hope that we’re going to get good people [for the cast],” executive producer Dick Wolf said following a Television Critics Association winter press tour panel.

Wolf noted that the “embedded spinoff,” which will feature “an event that brings us inside Chicago Med,” won’t necessarily go to series.

In the end, “it’s 100 percent [NBC entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt’s] decision, not mine,” he said. “We’d obviously love to do it, given the opportunity. But it’s above my paygrade.”

Before that hour, Fire and P.D. will stage another big crossover event on Feb. 3 centering around the arsonist (played by Arrow‘s Robert Knepper) who killed Shay and is now targeting Gabby.

“All I want to do is watch you burn,” the baddie taunts the firefighter in the trailer below.

Other highlights from the session:

* When a character’s leaving, such as with Shay’s death, “you want to maximize the effect,” Wolf said. “That’s why that methodology [for her exit] was chosen.”

* Lindsay’s arc on P.D. “with the task force went to the human notion [of] we’re always looking for the next thing,” Sophia Bush described. “How do I get better?” While her old unit is “very surgical and works like a family,” her new fed boss doesn’t care about CIs, leaving Lindsay to wonder, “Do I want what looks better on paper or was I happy in this place I was before?”

* On the topic of Severide’s wife (played by Graceland‘s Serinda Swan), Taylor Kinney replied with a laugh, “She was a wild woman. I don’t know where she is.”

1. Tran says:

Would be great if Chicago Med gets picked up as a series before the upfronts come May 2015.

2. Karin says:

Chicago Med previously known as ER.

3. wrstlgirl says:

I hate that Gabby has to be the center of everything. It’s only going to make me dislike her more. Would love a Chicago Med series.

• Kristina says:

I don’t dislike Gabby, but I do hate that in order for Shay’s murder to get the attention it deserves, Gabby has to be the center of the story.

• Bwhit says:

I wonder if it’s a setup to make her and Casey figure out their issues. She’s ‘in danger’ he realizes he should have ran after her (even though he has zero to apologize for IMO) and they get back together.

• Dominique says:

agreed. the promo says “united for shay”, but really, this is all just about gabby, AGAIN. so sick of that.

4. Amanda says:

I would love to see another part of Chicago show called Chicago Med I also would like to see a couple People play in it like Sally pressman and some other cast members from armywives on the show.

5. Amber says:

This annoys me. I love Chicago Fire, and was already annoyed some over PD because you have to watch it in order to understand what’s going on and who’s who because of all of the crossovers they do. And now they are going to add another one that you have to watch in order to understand all of the storylines. Enough already. It’s overkill in my opinion

• Cat says:

Well Amber, just dont watch it then, it’s that simple. Just watch or don’t watch the shows you want.

• Amber says:

My point is that in order to watch Chicago Fire, which I love, I have to watch its spinoffs in order to understand plotlines when they do crossovers. That is what annoys me. I don’t think they should do crossovers at all

• NOmeth17 says:

Good example, it the explosion which started in chicago fire and inevstigated in PD is a very good example. It makes it impossible to understand what led to the explosion if you only watched PD and it doesn’t give you closure if you only watched Chicago Fire. I think crossovers should be available in all shows to make things easier. I enjoy Chicago Fire, but I found that I have to watch PD It’s not necessarily my taste but I can’t make sense of everything that’s going on because everything is so related.

• Kristina says:

I gave up on PD recently and I don’t think I’ll be lost when they do more crossovers. I still hear snippets of what’s going on (like from this article, for example) and as long as you’ve seen a few episodes, you know who the characters are. If this Chicago Med thing happens, I’m going to decide whether or not to watch it based on whether or not the characters and stories are compelling, not its relationship to Chicago Fire.

• Dana says:

I don’t watch PD anymore either, only on crossovers. Just cant get into it any more from week to week :( But will watch when there is a crossover that’s about it.

6. Nancy says:

Gerald McRaney. He would be great as a Dr. in Chicago Med. How about Sela Ward? :)

7. Adriana says:

I am so sick of everything being about Gabby. She is the least interesting character on the show, in my opinion, and it’s beyond frustrating how much screen time her character takes away from others. She also has zero chemistry with Casey but hey, that’s just my opinion.

And I’m also getting tired of these crossovers. Why does a Chicago Fire character have to have their life in peril every few episodes? I know it’s TV but can’t they at least try to be a little realistic?

• Ange says:

I’m guessing they are in peril every few episodes because you want shows to have fiction with a bit of non-fiction. All shows do it. Don’t like it, simply don’t watch.

• Bwhit says:

Because going in to a burning building would put anyone in peril, that is why.

• Adriana says:

I’m not talking about being in danger from a burning building. I meant that it feels like a CF character finds themselves in some kind of situation with a gun/kidnapping/attack every other episode just for the sake of bringing in a character from Chicago PD. It gets tiresome for me after a while.

8. Tom says:

Would LOVE Dylan Baker and Amanda Righetti to reprise their roles in Chicago Med.

9. Dean says:

By the end of this crossover that arsonist better be at the bottom of a lake with a chicago necklace around his throat.

10. Dennis says:

I would love a Chicago Med especially of it was made more like ER than greys or hope.
    I like the big cross over events but I love the little drive by appearances they do

11. Bwhit says:

I haven’t been disappointed by this franchise yet so I guess Chicago Med would be interesting. I did like that doctor they used in the bombing episode with the little sister.

12. cheryl krudop says:

I’m not a big fan of PD so I’m getting a little tired of the cross over episodes. It’s almost like they’re forcing you to watch it just to see how the story turns out.

13. stephanie says:

I was a woman firefighter for 8 years
    Im 35 and I LOVE YOUR SHOW. Are there any casting positions or extra positions. If so let me know … I dont need training because I survived the real thing .

• ava says:

Stephanie Says, if you’re on facebook, go to Chicago Fire Extras. They post when they need extras for the show and they often look for current or former FF’s.

14. Maryann says:

Severide’s wife needs to come back. They wer re perfect together!

15. Tara says:

well they have been hinting really hard all season about a chicago med spinoff so i am not surprised

16. cyclone says:

Didn’t they already try to spinoff into Chicago Med? That was what the bombing at the race was when Burgess’ niece got injured? And Shay got impaled by rebar (one of her many, many, many injuries before they just decided to kill her entirely). It had Dylan Baker and Amanda Righetti (whose sister died and organs transplanted to Burgess’ niece). I for one thought that version of Chicago Med would have been good but then I also hoped for it when Shay was alive and could hook up with Amanda Righetti’s doc character.

17. Mark says:

I LOVE THIS SHOW IT IS SO REAL, IT IS A GREAT WAY TO SEE HOW ARE FIREDEPT. WORKS DAILY

18. christina says:

I really hope they come out with a Chicago Med. I Love Chicago fire and pd .I would love that on to.

19. I love this show and cant wait to see the upcoming shows

20. sarah j says:

I would love a Chicago Med, I would also love to be on that show. LOL
    So is the above a spoiler showing that Lindsay is back with the PD team?

21. Lorraine McCallister says:

Like the idea of a Chicago Med spinoff. Don’t mind the crossovers as long as they’re not overdone. Don’t watch Chicago PD as steadily as Fire so is a chance to catch up on PD’s characters. Hope perhaps Gabby and Matt can eventually come back together after crossover episodes. Feel current track of their relationship is unrealistic. Surely, Dick Wolf won’t keep them apart forever as their story has been a major track since the very first episode,

22. Kayla says:

I love both Chicago fire and Chicago pd, they are great!! I think Chicago need would be great too. Hopefully it gets picked up and actually happens

23. Jessica says:

Love Chicago PD!! I have just recently came back to Chicago Fire because of the crossovers but then I continued to watch because it keeps getting better. I always thought they would do a Chicago Med it would help to round out everything. Especially if there are more crossovers. I will watch ans see.

24. Virginia says:

Please put Dawson and Matt back together, good chemistry! Dawson has now slept with everyone on CF AND CPD. Make an honest women of her with Matt!

25. lisa says:

All I know is they better spice up Chicago Pd and Chicago Fire….cause they are starting to get boring..

26. Brendan says:

I’m so sick of Gabby. She is increasingly becoming a less interesting character. I hope the arsonist burns her to death so that we won’t see her again.