Mistresses: Alyssa Milano's Savi Won't Be Recast, Says ABC Boss

Mistresses Alyssa Milano Quits

Don’t expect a disfiguring accident — followed by drastic reconstructive surgery — for Mistresses‘ Savi Davis.

ABC’s summer sudser will not recast Alyssa Milano’s role, ABC president Paul Lee made clear on Wednesday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour.

Addressing the actress’ unexpected decision to exit Mistresses when it was announced that production for Season 3 was moved from Los Angeles to Vancouver, Canada, Lee told TVLine that “We’re going to create a new character — we’re not going to replace her. We fully support [Alyssa’s] decision to stay here with her family. We’re sorry to see her go, but we’ve got some great plans for Mistresses.”

Happy that Savi won’t have a new face come summertime? Or would a recast have been preferable to the character’s absence altogether? Sound off in the comments!

1. Nate says:

I started watching cause of Alyssa :'(

2. ... says:

I still think her exit was a cost cutting move.

• J.B. says:

No, moving to Canada was the cost cutting decision. She addressed it a while back about how she understood that moving the show would save the network money but that is would disrupt her home life. She went into some detail about it. I’m sure you can find the articles with a quick Google search.

• danyelle says:

yeah not sure the conspiracy theories lol. show is off to canada she doesn’t wanna go. probably in her contract that its a deal breaker.

• Amanda says:

Moving production to Canada was a cost cutting move. I just wish they could have worked something out for her to be in a few episodes. I get her decision to be with family, but I feel like she could have spent a week or two in Canada if the producers couldn’t film a few scenes in LA.

• lizo says:

that and Canada is great! Her kids could have attended excellent public schools, had access to some of the best medical facilities (for free) and all that clean air. Plus the weather in Vancouver is glorious.

3. Tony Lang says:

I hope they raplace her with Shannen Doherty. That’s be hilarious!

4. Cas says:

I don’t understand how they are going to wrap up her story?!?! I’ll probably just stop watching anyway. Not sure why Karen couldn’t have left. She bores me to death!

• Cassie says:

I was really disgusted with the show for pairing her ex and her sister up, considering Savi and Joss pretty much relied on each other primarily for support. With the finale having Savi walk down to the beach where she would inevitably run into those 2 doing the deed, I imagine the show will just do a flash forward and explain that Savi fled the city because any reminder of Harry or Joss were just too much for her.

• Lori Castle says:

The cliff hanger had Savi seeing Joss and Harry making out on the beach so I am sure she will feel she has to leave town so she doesn’t have to witness them be together on a daily basis

5. Tran says:

Season Three of Mistresses would sink without Alyssa Milano. Guess Paul Lee doesn’t know “who’s the boss” (not referring to the Tony Danza sitcom that also starred Alyssa Milano).

6. Amy says:

I am quite glad she’s going. TBH I only really watch for Joss, the others annoy me.

7. Jared says:

Alyssa was the main draw for Mistresses. I’m willing to give S3 a chance since I’m already invested in the show but im not too optimistic.

8. cdhaskell says:

I am glad that the show won’t replace Alyssa Milano but please don’t it be another sister that the writer didn’t tell the fan about. I remember the reason why WB created another sister for the show.

9. Erin B says:

I’ll definitely keep tuning in but am skeptical. I wonder how they will handle it. I guess it clears the path for Harry & Joss. Maybe they will keep it open for her to come back sometime.

10. tonster says:

What ever you do be more creative than just killing her character!

11. bj says:

She was not the main draw for me and I think she’d be the one I’d have go if it had to be one of the main 3.

I’m anxious to see who they replace her with and how they write her out. Maybe she’ll go for a swim, get caught in a rip tide and drown while her ex is making out with her sister on the beach. That should make for some great guilt!!

12. BrianR says:

They lost 50% of the female cast and I only watched because of her so I’m out.

• cdhaskell says:

I feel sorry for the new actress who join the series but please don’t make her unknown sister that no one have ever heard about. Remember CW/WB Charmed have come up with another sister to replace the leading actress.

13. Ian says:

I think this 3rd season will probably be it though. It wasnt a ratings hit WITH Alyssa, and they will only go down further now.

14. ChrisGa says:

Alyssa was a HUGE draw for me but I’ll stick with it to see what and who’s in store.

15. MattySi says:

I would love to see Tiffani Theissen back on my TV (or computer) screen. She didn’t have a big enough part in White Collar. I’m still curious how they are going to write Savi out of the show though.

• I still glad that the series got renewal for the third season and I am also glad that the new actress won’t be playing the Savi Davis role but I still wanted to know how the writer will write her character out of the series. Will the writer give her character out of the series. How about giving her some kind of happy ending?

• MattySi. says:

Yeah. I agree. Maybe she runs off with harry and they live happily ever after

• If they could get Alyssa to at least film the premiere episode to give Savi a proper send off, I think the most plausible scenario would be for Savi to see Harry & Joss’s make out session. Then as a result, Savi is so upset & confused she decides to go visit her mom to try and figure out what she really wants for her future.

16. ginger says:

Maybe bring in another 80s child actress. Christina Ricci comes to mind. Eva Longoria (Desperate Housewives) would be fantastic to add a Latina. I’d also love it if Karen Gillan (Selfie) were given another chance on ABC.

17. Patt says:

I’m happy they didn’t recast Savi. Alyssa is the only one I can see in that part. I love the show and am happy it will be back.

18. Matty says:

Tiffani Thiessen would be my choice. But Charisma could also work.

19. donholley77 says:

I just don’t see how the show can be the same without Alyssa. We’ll see…

20. JJ says:

I might be the only one who actually wishes that they recast the role of Savi. I like Alyssa but I’m not a huge fan, i had really wished they could find someone good to fill the role of Savi because I really enjoy the sister storyline betwwn her and Savi, as well as her friendships with the other women. It’s such an integral part of the show.

21. Sheldon W. says:

So I guess they’ll say that Savi moved to Canada, eh?

22. Kristine says:

I just hope the new season starts off as juicy as it ended. I watched the last scene of the last episode a hundred times so i hope they get back into the Joss Harry Savi triangle before she goes! Hint Hint!!!

23. Dani says:

I love Alyssa and the show. My problem with season 3 is not so much the departure of the actress who I will indeed miss, but with the story. The Joss/Harry thing is ridiculous for me, completely destroyed Joss’s character. I feel like Joss made her choice based on who had the better abs, and her motive for running “oh, Harry knows me best” was just as stupid. Of course he knows you better, he was married to your sister for over 10 years. The writers want us to root for this couple but it is hard when the characters are such horrible people. Harry was and is an arrogant jerk, he wasn’t there for Savi and he’ll probably screw things up with Joss, and Joss’s actions are hard to swallow. She has a great guy waiting at the altar but she decides to get it on with her sister’s ex. I will watch season 3, if the Joss/Harry thing doesn t take too much screen time I can ignore them, if it becomes their show, well than, good luck to them.

24. I wish that Alyssa Milano would appear in the first two episode in order ties up all the loose end with her character before disappear into the unknown forever.

25. Leanne says:

Savi has a sister so choices shown were bad choices, The sisters aren’t black nor Asian so those listed need to be eliminated. I started watching because of Alyssa. Cox or Tiffany good fit. Megan Hilty if hair gets changed to brunette. Alyssa will be missed and I hope they don’t cancel show. I love it

26. Jo B. says:

I’m sad to see Alyssa go but I will still be watching! I would love to see Anna Torv of Fringe or Malin Akerman of Trophy Wife be the be the new characters. Tiffani Thiessen would have been good but she’s pregnant. I wouldn’t mind Leighton Meester or Annalynne McCord or Shenae Grimes either. :-)

27. Erin Zambas says:

I love the show and I really enjoyed Alyssa Milano’s character. However, I would not enjoy seeing another actress play that character. I think the decision to write her out of the show is better and bringing in a new fresh character with a juicy story will go a long way in helping a fan like me get over her not being in the show. She will be missed

28. Erin Zambas says:

I love the show and I love Alyssa Milano. I think the decision to write her out of the show is the right one. As a fan I don’t want to see another actress play her character. Just give us another character with a juicy story and that will go a long way in helping us to get over losing Savi.She will be missed.

29. Eric says:

I vote Shannen Doherty

30. I hate that Alyssa won’t be returning to the show, she was the reason I watched the show, the character that plays Joss is ugh, so annoying and gross, well another show bites the dust for me, will delete mistresses from my line up, next.

31. Mirouette says:

What a shame it is to consider Dr Phil a medical doctor All he has is a degree in psychology that’s not medicine . He’s caring kind understanding but definitely not a doctor . Psychology is a social science not a medical science.

32. KiMarsha49 says:

They should have/could have given her the option to go to Canada for like possibly a month and film all of her scenes ahead of time. But, that’s in a perfect world, even though it’s been known to happen. We love Alyssa and this could have been the ideal happenstance.lol

33. Tifany says:

I think they should bring another character in as planned but not to replace as Savi. Maybe they can just have Alyssa as guest star every once in awhile. I wouldn’t want to get rid of her all together cause she’s the star of the show, although I love all the other ladies too!

• cdhaskell says:

I wish that the show would keep Alyssa Milano as a special guest star who appear in so many episode. I hope that the new character isn’t another unknown sister that the Davis sister didn’t know about. I thought Gov Brown’s new tax program cure the problem about film/series escape from California because the high cost was killing the film/series industry.

34. Tana0819 says:

This show certainly will miss the character, Savi but if it starts to fall in ratings then shouldn’t we blame the Network from filming it in LA to Vancouver? She just had another baby or is expecting again and she brought life to the other characters. I will tune in for Season 3, I just hope it stays as intriguing

35. Tana0819 says:

Yes I will certainly miss Savi and Alyssa Milano but if the show falls in ratings shouldn’t we blame the network for moving the production from LA to Vancouver? Since she is a new mom and expecting again who would want to go to Vancouver? I just hope it stays as intriguing as it has been and I certainly will be watching season 3.

• cdhaskell says:

I thought that Gov. Brown’s new Tax credit was to help keep the film/series in CA and stop leaving the area for more better area. I still can’t wait to see the Mistresses 3rd season.

36. acurat says:

I think this show will have a harder time getting past season 3 without her. The interaction between all four characters makes the show work, and she was the focal point for a number of stories. Will watch but hope the show stays good enough to keep watching.

• cdhaskell says:

I am glad that the show won’t recast Alyssa Milano with a lookalike actress. I hope that the writer will allow her to come back as a guest star. Please don’t let the new actress play a long lost sister that no one never hear about .

37. Margaret says:

Recast would’ve been acceptable if the get rid of savi there is no joss and savi moments and there would be no regret to live with as joss would never see savi which would be for good dramatic affect and also great for a viewer such as myself

• cdhaskell says:

I am glad that the new character won’t be play a Savi recast character but a new one. I still can’t wait to see how the writer will write Savi out of the series. I hope that she will make a guest appearance.

38. T says:

I am just not sure if there will be enough to watch but I will see. First season was much better than the second as it was in my opinion. Karen and her story line bore me to tears (both years) but I think it is because she annoys me. I will watch at first but I think I could go either way on it. Love Joss and April so it will really depend on who the third one is.

39. I would have loved to see Genie Francis cast as Savi on Mistresses…Fit her in somewhere…..she is fantastic!

40. Alisa can’t be replaced, I’m supportive of her reason to why she won’t continue the roll of Savi.
    I loved her on Who’s The Boss and I was soooooooo happy to see her in Mistresses…it was just all to short for us who love her.

41. Tiger Flower says:

After appearing as America’s most pregnant woman on Project Runway All-stars this season, her decision not to relocate doesn’t come as a surprise.

42. The main reason I started watching the show was because of Alyssa Milano. She’s a wonderful actress and I like everything she’s acted in since she began on “Who’s the Boss”. I still like the other characters and love the new character, who (as a “Blue Bloods faithful) will always be Jack, Dannys best partner. However, Savvi’s departure still leaves a gaping hole in the story for me. Is there any way of talking her into coming back every so often? Not as a regular, but just enough to satisfy the fans and bring some closure with her ex and her sister becoming an item?

43. Corinne says:

I’m sorry to see her go. I was looking forward to her unfinished story line. She was to me the main character and reason I watched.

44. jess says:

Alyssa was the reason I watched I do not think anyone can replace her they should do whatever to do to keep her I don’t think I will be watching this anymore because they should have tried more to keep her…its my opinion

45. jess says:

I watched this show because of Alyssa so what a damn shame they didn’t try any harder to keep her I don’t think I will be watching because of that and I think bringing someone else is any better it will just ruin it in my opinion…

46. Mags says:

A change such as this will surely be the death of the show. Sorry I was a huge fan in Season 1 but it will not even last past midway of this Season 3.
    Sucks Big time so far.
    Second episode in and it’s trying to be a soap opera.
    Boring. Boring. Boring

47. jane says:

Only watch this show for Alyssa as well. It’s starting to bore me. They need Alyssa m back asap

48. Alicia says:

Recast her the show just seems blah without the main character

49. Linda Neuerburg says:

Now that I know that Alyssa’s character is not coming back I can get over it and watch the show without the anticipation of her return!