Fox Schedules Red Band Society's Final Three Episodes for Saturday Nights

Red Band Society still has a heartbeat — albeit a faint one.

While Fox decided in November not to pick up any more than the 13 originally ordered episodes — which is usually a sure sign of impending cancellation — the network has decided to schedule the show’s final three installments.

A Fox spokesperson confirmed Red Band Society will return to the schedule on Saturday, Jan. 31 at 9/8c, and then conclude its run with back-to-back episodes on Feb. 7 at 8/7c. TV Guide Magazine first hinted at the news.

In December, showrunner Rina Mimoun promised a satisfying conclusion — and a major character death — during the course of Red Band‘s final three hours. “There’s closure for a lot of the current teen storylines that you’ve been watching, but the [final] episode also shows you how the series itself is open-ended,” she explained. “Octavia Spencer is the lead of this show. She’s the heart and soul of Ocean Park Hospital, and it shows you that certain Red Bander stories may be all tied up, but we can tell other stories of people coming into the hospital using our amazing staff of Octavia [Spencer], Dave Annable, Rebecca Rittenhouse and Wilson Cruz — whose Kenji has become my favorite thing ever.”

Mimoun urged fans to fight for a Season 2. “That is how these shows come back — because there is momentum from the people who love it,” she said. “When fans fight, it forces the network to say ‘OK, wait a minute. Let’s rewatch. Let’s look at all the numbers. Let’s look at the live [numbers]. Let’s look at the DVRs.’ And that’s the theme of Red Band: ‘Don’t give up.'”

Will you be tuning in for Red Band‘s final run? About which character’s fate are you most worried? Sound off below!

1. Drew says:

Yet Lone Star was canceled after two episodes and we still haven’t see the rest of what was filmed.

• Velocisexual says:

Can’t believe I’m saying this, but those were different times. The TV landscape has changed a lot in the last 5 years and its even starting to effect the way the big networks make their decisions.

• Drew says:

The landscape has changed somewhat, but even when Lone Star was canceled, it was a surprising move. The show was critically acclaimed. It featured big name actors, as well as a lead who was considered the big up and comer for the season. It was generating good buzz from the people who had watched the aired episodes. Based on those factors alone, they should have been allowed to air what they’d filmed and the network should have given it a chance to grow. Most of Fox’s biggest shows weren’t hits right out of the gate.
        The didn’t even allow Andie MacDowell’s first episode to air, and she was a pretty big get for network TV (similar to Madeleine Stowe for Revenge).
        Back then, the cancellation didn’t add up. Even today it doesn’t add up. I think that’s why it stays with me. I was a fan of The Good Guys too, and that was given a whole season before it was canceled. At least that made some sense.
        Too bad Netflix wasn’t buying up shows back then. Lone Star would have been a good fit for them.

Wow. Sorry for the long ramble about a long-gone series.

• BrightLight says:

And to think I was afraid I was the only person who still wanted to see the remainder of that show.

As for RBS, it’s such a shame because I really adored this show. I think if it had been on ABC Family or a similar network it would have gotten more attention. That being said, I’ll be tuning in for the three remaining episodes.

• Drew says:

I think there are a lot of people who want to see what’s left of the show. They had a special screening in Austin a long while back, but other than that, I haven’t seen the episodes pop up anywhere.

• daryl says:

i think it is a disgrace to cancel a show this good.It showed that children facing bad things band together and be there for each other.I think we all can learn from them come on find some place to bring it back.

• Blair Ribeiro says:

I completely agree with you daryl. This show, better than any I’ve seen that broach the topic, simply tell the truth. I think it was best summed up in the finale with the line (paraphrased here), ” Anorexia is your daughter’s disease – that’s not your daughter.” It sums up the show. These kids aren’t their diseases just like we aren’t our problems. They’ll hit us in the middle of the night but then something silly like a Spartacus race or tagging a wall or falling in love or anything will distract us from that little “touch of disease” and it’s revealed we’re all the same. That’s the sort of message a teen-dramady should focus on and to be well-written and well-acted…well that was just an added bonus. It’s a travesty that the Red Band Society was cancelled. We’re such a disconnected population – it was nice to see teens really “interact,” and it was nice to see something relatively wholesome but completely unafraid. I don’t know if I want to know what show will take its place because I’m sure it will be mid-season crap!

• Donna says:

I had an opportunity to be an extra on the show. I really loved the show. My 11 year old daughter loved it too.

• cdhaskell says:

I still wish that the Lone Star producer would release the whole series on DVD format because I wanted to see how the story will and the behind the scene stuff. I still prove and hope that the Red Band Society producer will release the whole series on DVD because I bet you that it will be a hit with the loyal fan who will have a marathon of the series.

• cdhaskell says:

I still can’t believe that I still miss Lone Star. I wish that the producer would release the one season of Lone Star on DVD.

• cdhaskell says:

I still wish that Fox would release both Lone Star and the Red Band Society on DVD format. Both show was a winner.I still wish that both show was pick up by another channel.

2. Jeremy says:

TV Guide didn’t “hint” it. One of the actors (Nolan something) tweet it out.

3. Cori says:

I think Dash will be the death. But, yes, I’ll be watching. It hasn’t quite lived up to its potential, but I still love it and am sad to see it go.

4. KN says:

This one is done.

5. Lynne says:

Been waiting to hear this! Glad we are getting a conclusion but I’m going to miss this show when it is over.

6. JM says:

This was one of my sentimental favs of the new season. I DO hope it gets picked up for another season (even if on another network), but I’m not holding my breath.

7. Remy says:

I really wish more people had watched this show. I’m just glad we get to see the last 3 episodes.

8. MR says:

So happy they are airing the last 3 episodes. I LOVE This show. I had my doubts when it first started but my daughter insisted I watch. I now LOVE the show. It has my heart.

9. wrstlgirl says:

YAY!! I was just wondering about these final eps last night. Very glad we get to see them. I really enjoyed this show.

10. selena cruz says:

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVED THAT SHOW AND YOUR JUST GONNA CANCEL IT?!?!?!?!?!!? JUST I WILL ALWAYS PRAY THAT THEY PUT RED BAND SOCIETY ON A DIFFERENT NETWORK! I HAVE POSTED PICTURES ON MY FACEBOOK, TWITTER AND ANY THING ELSE I TALKED TO EVERY BODY I KNOW! DOO NOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTT CANCEL RED BAND SOCIETY!!!!!!!!!!!!! AFTER THE FINAL 3 EPISODES I AM NEVER WATCHING FOX EVER AGAIN AND GIVE IT NEGATIVE FEEDBACK #REDBANDERFOREVER

• Lynne says:

Ok um wow. Decision was made months ago, its done. Just be glad we are getting closure with the final three episodes. Some shows dont even get that.

• Ha says:

Haha actually no I have family members with fox and they aren’t allowed to make an official statement yet, but it is based off of how fans react. The petition at change.org will be taken into consideration and they haven’t made a deduction whether to cancel the show. That is why they are promoting the last three episodes of the season, so they can get more viewers.

11. Carla Krae says:

Yes I’ll be tuning in.

12. Greg says:

Good show, but most good shows get cancelled by stupid TV execs.

13. Joey Padron says:

can’t wait to watch last episodes of season 1. wish Fox would have air episodes on a friday.

14. Nana3 says:

So happy they will air the final 3 episodes. This is what should be done in the first place when they decide to cancel a show cold turkey. When there is an episode order and say they have more than half left that they filmed then decide to cancel they should just finish them up instead of deciding to air them at a later date. Yea it is all about the viewership but still people that get hooked on these shows want to see what happens next until the end. Now with Glee, Cougartown and other shows they are going to the end with their shortened season finales. These shows are shown in repeats anyway on other networks. The bigger networks want to move on to more new shows that may make it or not. Octavia makes the show and she is a great actress on the big screen and small screen.

15. Diz says:

Too bad. it was a cute show. At least they are airing the rest of the episodes.

16. Rie says:

I loved watching show with kids. I’m heartbroken it’s being cancelled.

17. I hate to say it, but this was another case of under-promotion and bad scheduling. I wish Fox would have tried it in a different night and time slot. With all the critical acclaim it received pre-premiere, I am surprised it did not get higher DVR numbers. If they actually re-ran this on maybe a Friday or Saturday, (like Sleepy Hollow) my bet is the numbers would look different.

18. tricia says:

why would you cancel redband society that is a really good show but put things in perspective when it comes to kids do get sick too especially when I have a grandson that has cf

19. Chuck Kelly says:

The show is GREAT but why in the heck did FOX put it on Wednesday nights up against some of the highest rated TV shows ?? We can’t wait to see the last 3 hours.

20. Rebecca says:

I’m so sad please keep it on I love this show

21. Jamie says:

Watching RBS has become a weekly tradition of racing to get homework, chores & dinner done ASAP so we are ready in front of the tv with a fresh batch of brownies in front of us. My kids & I have fallen in love with the characters & are relieved to know we still have a chance!! We will fight for RBS!!

22. I love this show, why is it when you have a decent show it gets cancelled and all the shows that are full of #€¥? are still on TV for years. Please keep this decent show on, it is about time we have a show teens and adults can sit and enjoy together.

23. j says:

I like this show. Wish it were on tonight. They’ll schedule nights with tons of stuff opposite
    each other. But then on other nights, like tonight, I’m on the computer.

24. Kaley_T says:

I absolutely love Red band Society! Please give it another chance, Fox!

25. Emily says:

I’d really love to see more of this show. From episode one, I was so into it. I missed a day of school because I stayed up all night watching the 10 episodes there are. And I was kinda sick. But please do not cancel this show. It’s very amazing and I love it so much

26. carey says:

Please please please keep this show. My son which is 17 loves this show and he never likes anything his mother likes (me). I love being able to spend time with him watching it. He gets more excited about watching it then i do. Please again keep it. But anyway of course my son and I will be watching.

27. Monica deloza says:

I watched this show on demand and really liked it. I hope it returns for a second season.

28. Taunji Knudsen says:

I love RBS, as well as my 28 year old daughter! We enjoy watching the show together. The writing and storylines are very compelling. It touches on subject matters that many in todays population can relate to. We love this show and will be VERY DISAPPOINTED to not see a second season.

29. Silje says:

Please make another season!! Its the best show thats ever been made after my opinion. I know it would mean alot to the fans if you make another season! Let people get the chance to watch it and fall in love with it!!!

30. Deniece says:

Please don’t cancel Red Band Society

31. Britt says:

I will absolutely be tuning in for these last few episodes along with joining the fight to continue this show. It really is inspiring and down right my favorite on television. Being a teen I can really relate to a lot of the characters and this is a show I really enjoy and look forward to watching with my family. I really do hope that there is enough support behind this program to bring it back, otherwise it will be really sad :'(

• cdhaskell says:

I will be shock and surprised if Fox decided to renewal Red Band Society for the second season or better yet get pick up by another channel for the second season. I am still pray and hope that the producer will release the whole season on DVD format.

32. Joanne says:

It’s sad that this show is on its last leg, so to speak. This is a show that has kids showing courage, loyalty and strength to fight when the odds are against you. This is something that the now generation can learn from. I truly hope a network will allow it to continue. I will be tuning in for the last 3episodes.

• cdhaskell says:

Airing the last three episode on Saturday night and it is the kisses of the death. I still wish that some other channel will pick up the show and renewal it for the second season. I also wish that the producer will release the whole show on DVD format because it will prove that the show still got fan that wanted it.

33. Margarita Waters says:

It figures. You finally get a show that is worth watching and it gets cancelled. I love this show!!!!!!!

34. M Collins says:

Keep Red Band Society…it’s a great show

35. joey whitnall says:

RED BAND SOCIETY IS AWESOME!!!!!!

36. Alan Dvorkis says:

It was the most intelligent best scripted best acted show of the year, I hope and prey they find a way to continue. It is interesting and totally without cliche. Tv at its finest.

37. Denise says:

Finally a show that I could watch with my 13 yo that we both liked! He’s been asking about when the new episodes were coming on. It opened so many discussions for us, showing him that there are things more important about name brand clothes, which crowd is the “coolest”, and who is “going with” who in junior high! Please reconsider!!! Or maybe ABC Family should pick it up? Stop catering to reality (barf!), immature adult humor, unrealistic shows that are the norm on the networks these days!

38. Mickenzie says:

This has got to be one of my new favorites! I got so attached to each character over the season. I would love for the series to return! I looked forward to it and have the whole season recorded on my DVR! I afraid that the death will be a suprise, although i’m leaning towards Jordi. I really wish the creators would rethink bringing the show back. I would watch it for sure!

39. Alyssa Ramirez says:

This is outrageous this show gives hope to many people who have cancer or any diseases what’s so ever. This show is important for teenagers who have to go to hospitals everyday. It helps teens see the hospital not just as a hospital but as a safe place like a home to make Friends.

40. alina says:

I had never seen the show before it accidentally started playing on demand today and I binge watched all ten seasons! I love it, hope there is a season 2. It helps teach people how to appreciate life and the little things!

41. tremor says:

RBS is one of better shows on tv. Please don’t cancel this show. I love this show for so many reasons. I can’t wait to see the next 3 episodes and hope show comes back for 2nd season.

42. Kayla says:

I love this show due to personal experience I feel like I can relate to them, it’s highly upsetting things go by how many viewers now because some shows shouldn’t be continued like no offense but I believe vampire diaries shouldn’t have been continued due to repetition. This show is way better due to different plots. I’m really going to miss this show. :( hopefully it comes back.

43. bookworm001 says:

Reblogged this on craftedbytaylor and commented:
    No comments necessary!

44. Sadie says:

So when we finally get a good show we’re gonna cancel it? But we don’t cancel all the bad annoying shows? That doesn’t make sense! Red Band Society is about how people become together, relationships are ruined, and how love is bonded. We need this show cause it’s an AMAZING show! Give the show a second chance! Cause if you don;t, then people will start hating you. How is the show even bad? It”s really goof! #BringRedBandBack

45. Diane velazquez says:

Please bring back the show!

46. Susan Gilligan says:

Please bring this back! It is a quality show!

47. Molly P says:

We Love Red Band Society!!!!! Can not believe it is canceled what a bummer!!!!

48. Felicia Arnell says:

Most definitely, I fell in love with the show and am heartbroken that there may not be another season. I don’t have shows I watch on the regular, but this one I did.

49. brandy says:

My family just heard of this cancellation. Red Band Society is one of the best shows on the network.. Why with so many viewers would they ever cancel this. How do I fight back to help get it back on?

50. Nina kantowski says:

I absolutely love this show. I really hope there will be sent season 2.

• Mary Jo Hale says:

Please don’t cancel Red Band Society .
      My granddaughter and I love this show .

• cdhaskell says:

I wish that some other channel would pick up Red Band Society and renewal the show for the second season. I also wish that Lone Star was able to finish the whole season and be release on season one to see how the individual character was change over the episode and see how the writer was able to tie up all the loose end.