Marvel's Agent Carter Recap: You Win Some, You Lose Some

Agent Carter Krzeminski Dies

This week on ABC’s Marvel’s Agent Carter, Jarvis landed in the SSR’s crosshairs and a happy discovery wound up having deadly consequences.

In the wake of the massive implosion that happened when the milk truck full of nitramene drove off the cliff, Peggy started researching the mysterious “heart” symbol that Leet Brannis scrawled in the dirt before dying, while the boys at the SSR followed up on Krzeminski’s discovery of a license plate in the refinery wreckage.

Learning that the tag belonged to Howard Stark’s car, Agent Thompson paid a visit to the fugitive inventor’s home, where he was politely stonewalled by Jarvis — all while Peggy hid just around the corner, her own confab with Jarvis having been interrupted. Despite Jarvis’ claim that his employer’s car had been reported stolen, Thompson brought the butler to the SSR for further questioning.

There, Thompson gradually made headway, fibbing about the stolen car report having gone missing, then taunting Jarvis with his years-ago treason charge. Seeing that Jarvis’ calm, cool veneer had been cracked (though not knowing exactly why), Peggy got crafty and cut Thompson’s interrogation off at the knees by “accidentally” producing the lost report. Jarvis then excused himself, while Peggy got chewed out by Chief Dooley.

Peggy and Jarvis later reconvened at Stark’s mansion, where Peggy hoped to find some clues by snooping around the actual breach of the vault. Rappelling down the hole the thieves entered through, Peggy and Jarvis followed a storm pipe, suspecting that the culprits used a high water line on the night of a massive downpour to “float” the stolen “bad babies” away on a raft. During their spelunking, Jarvis fills Peggy in on the treason rap, how he broke some laws in the name of helping his Jewish wife Anna during World War II. Stark got Jarvis out of that pickle, yet Anna remains unaware of the true nature of the gents’ ongoing affiliation.

Peggy’s quest eventually leads to a boat — one that bears the mysterious “heart” symbol — docked across the harbor from where the sewer lets out. Inside, she and Jarvis find the rest of Stark’s stolen toy trove… as well as a brutish guard. Peggy and Jarvis takes turns whaling on the lug, but he gains the upper hand on Jarvis — until Peggy zaps the guy with a “bad baby”/muscle contractor and then conks him with a steel pipe. Peggy is hot to show her SSR bosses and claim credit for the find, but Jarvis reminds her that to do so would only backfire on her professionally, proving his point by walking her through an ersatz interrogation. Instead, Jarvis disguises his voice to phone in a “tip” to the SSR. Sousa and Krzeminski subsequently find the cache of inventions, but as the latter drives the battered guard away — and just as he’s getting an earful about the “English dame” who KO’d him — their car is accosted by a mystery man who fires a kill shot at both men inside.

Elsewhere in Episode 3 (of eight): Angie invited her new neighbor Peggy over to hang one night, but got brushed off (since Carter was en route to do some recon work). We also met Dottie (played by White Collar’s Bridget Regan), another guest at the super-strict Griffith hotel for women. At hour’s end, in the wake of Krzeminski’s tragic death, Peggy showed up at the automat and reached out to Angie, who clocked out early to kick back some schnapps with her gal pal.

What did you think of the episode “Time and Tide”?

1. Okay…they arrive to investigate a tip with sirens blaring, yet they quietly return to HQ, prisoner in tow, and stop for red lights?And the “top agent” thinks NOTHING about getting rear-ended at said stop light, and gets out of the car w/o his gun drawn? Loved the rest of the ep…but this? Come on!

• FatherOctavian says:

They didn’t blare sirens on the return trip because they were carrying sensitive cargo. Krzeminski got separated from the convoy because they were bringing Stark’s inventions to the SSR’s secure storage while Krzeminski brought their suspect back to the station.

It’s 1946, the war’s over, and Krzeminski makes the logical assumption that he got rear ended by some idiot who didn’t stop quick enough. And Krzeminski was never exactly presented as the sharpest tool in the shed.

• J says:

You mean like how there was two guys with machine guns in the pilot who shot at Jarvis in the car and hit it exactly zero times? lol

• Katherine215 says:

I think we have to remember that this is set in the 40s. Crime wasn’t as rampant as it is today. (And honestly, this is a tv trope – I’m pretty sure I’ve seen modern shows use car accidents to off a character.)

2. fernando933 says:

Amazing episode, love this show. I felt so bad for Peggy when she was getting yelled at.

• Tai says:

I know! I was so genuinely angry during that whole scene. It’s rare that a show has me so emotionally invested. I’m really enjoying this.

• John NYC says:

She knew she was going to have to pay a price for saving Jarvis and she did it anyway, I felt worse for her when she came back out into the main office area and all those other jerks wouldn’t look at her. Okay her boss is a twit, but the whole place is like that? Sad.

3. FatherOctavian says:

Another really strong hour. I love that there’s no filler, and that every scene advances the story. And I really enjoy Carter’s friendship with Angie.

• Grey says:

I know. I hope Angie doesn’t turn out to also be a double agent but for the wrong side.

• John NYC says:

But OTOH are they really going to use the actress we saw in NIKITA as only emotional support for Peggy?

And there’s no way the Mother Confessor is just there just to show her ballet moves is there?

I guess maybe, the show is different, but it will be interesting I’m sure.

• Grey says:

Well, not everyone watched “NIKITA.” I didn’t. So until finding out she was some sort of super human on that I had no reason to suspect her of being one on this show. And maybe she’s not. It could be a bate and switch. Some viewers are expecting the character of being more than she is because of the actress playing her and the writers and producers know that and are just stringing us along. ;D

4. Amber says:

The “Mystery Man” is clearly a woman in a suit. My guess would be the ballet boarder from Ioha.
    Really enjoying this and it is good to see another kickass woman on our tv screens.

• Grey says:

LOL. I was going to say, “What’s Ioha? Is that an acronym for some other secrete agency? Did I miss something?” Heheee.

I hate that this site doesn’t let you fix your typos in your original post. Can you do something about that Matt? 

• John NYC says:

Then Bridgrt Regan’s grown an Adams apple. I suspected the same so I slow scrolled through the scene and when the shooter comes around to the side window their throat is in profile and side lit and its a man.

Not that I doubt she’s up to no good.

5. Kim (@AD76) says:

I love how at about 25-30 minutes in I looked at the clock during a commercial and thought, “Wait, we’re only part way through this episode?”

6. So Happy says:

I loved this episode so much, I’ll have to watch it again! :0)

7. lame says:

This is a surprisingly engrossing and entertaining series.Haley Atwell’s physique lends some credence to her kickass, knockdown, dragout skills.Not giving a second thought to using that pipe to batter the thug was hilarious.
    The serialized structure truly enhances the flow of the episodes as opposed to the stand alone style. Here’s hoping ABC gives this series the green light,there’s much to learn about Peggy Carter.

• Grey says:

It’s definitely gotten off to a better start story wise than “Agents of SHIELD” imo.

• Grey says:

And can I also mention that I love that Haley Atwell has curves? Real, normal, curves. Proportionate, for the lack of a better way of saying it. She’s not in the extreme in one direction or the other. It seems most actresses these days are either way too curvy or way to skinny to be realistic and believable in their rolls. Atwell is bombshell gorgeous when all dressed up (like when she had on the evening gown and blonde wig last week) but athletically lean enough to be believable as kick-a$$ in hand to hand combat. You know what I mean? LOL. And I love that her nails are done. LOL! I wonder how often Atwell has to get that red nail polished touched up during the week. It must be the bane of their existence for the hair and makeup department.

8. Katherine215 says:

Seriously loving this show! I especially enjoy the growing partnership with Peggy and Jarvis. They have great chemistry in their scenes, and I love his character. I’m sort of sorry he has a wife! I hated the scene where she was getting chewed out. This show really brings into focus how difficult it was to be a woman back then, and how much I take for granted now.

• John NYC says:

“I’m sort of sorry he has a wife! “. The shows attitude to that got revealed when Carter was asked how long she would be staying at the Griffin and she simpered “Only until I get married”…And Angie choked. No need for a man for her to be validated.

9. Gail says:

I think Agent Carter should be the main show and Agents of Shield should be the winter replacement series. Really enjoying this.

10. Brigid says:

Hayley Atwell is gorgeous!!! I just adore this show. The chemistry between all the characters and the thrilling action scenes make this show a must see. This is the second week that I got mad when it ended, I lose all track of time watching it. Bring this show back every year as a limited run because this format is killing it!!!!

11. KatsMom says:

With the number of people (between last week and this week) who are thinking that the women connected to The Griffith are suspicious, I’m just going to make the leap and say the whole place is a big old front for Leviathan. Why not? :) I like Kyle Bornheimer, so I was a little disappointed when his character was killed off. HIs character’s many flaws made it much easier to deal with his loss though (probably why he was so flawed in the first place). As soon as he heard that there was an English woman at the scene, it was obvious he had to die. He might as well have seen a superhero without his/her mask on. All in all, another great episode though. I’m disappointed it will be two weeks until the next episode.

12. lame says:

The ratings aren’t great but Carter is up against part of the NCIS franchise, and I;m sure ABC has taken that into consideration. The reviews were raves and those who watched thought it was great.
    Personally, I loved the show, Peggy Carter Kicking ass in knockdown, drag outs while wearing a skirt ups the anti on every other heroine. Using that pipe to take out the thug on the boat was hilarious. Let’s see where the story goes now that Starks goodies have been recovered.