Derek Hough Sitting Out Upcoming Season of Dancing With the Stars

Good and bad news for Derek Hough fans: The ballroom wonder will be dancing with stars this spring — just not on Dancing With the Stars.

Hough has been cast in a starring role opposite Laura Benanti (Nashville) in New York Spring Spectacular, a limited-run event at Radio City Music Hall in New York City, starting March 7.

The timing of the Harvey Weinstein-produced show means Hough won’t compete in Season 20 of DWTS.

According to People.com, Hough’s new role is Jack, “a man with a special mission who will receive an eternal reward if he’s able to help a man named Bernie keep his position as a New York City tour guide. Bernie’s job is in jeopardy when Jenna (Benanti) reveals her plan to take the tour company ‘virtual.'”

Hough has won a record five Mirrorball Trophies in 14 seasons on ABC’s ballroom dancing competition — alongside Brooke Burke, Nicole Scherzinger, Jennifer Grey, Kellie Pickler and Amber Riley. Most recently, he finished fourth with YouTube star Bethany Mota in the show’s fall 2014 cycle. He also appeared in a brief arc last fall on ABC’s Nashville.

Will you miss Derek in Season 20 — or do you feel like will his absence open up the playing field for a different pro to shine? Sound off in the comments!

1. Eric7740 says:

Looks like I’ll be watching less DWTS this spring! Love my Derek Hough!

2. Dan says:

Derek is one of my least favorite pros on the show, so I’m quite thrilled about his break.

3. Tran says:

Without Derek Hough, the upcoming season of DWTS should flop “big time”.

4. Eric7740 says:

Derek is the most talented pro on DWTS. I suspect the show will suffer without him on there.

5. KC says:

Great – let some new professionals have a chance

6. Ann says:

Derek Hough has been a huge reason for DTWS continuing success. They have been lucky that Broadway hasn’t snatched him up before this — he has a solid career ahead of him in choreography and production, as well as performance. With Len and Derek both gone, I will only watch DWTS if there are celebrities I am interested in watching. Now is the time to get Ellen!

7. suesox says:

Hope Mark finally wins! He and Sadie should have won this past season. I’d like to see Julianne return to the dance floor or leave.

8. jp says:

He isn’t my favorite but with Cheryl possibly being out this is a good chunk of talent gone. Maybe the show is starting a big decline to the end.

9. Kim R says:

I will miss him for sure.

10. Amie says:

What a waste of Laura Benanti.

11. Charlene Sikes says:

Derek will be missed a lot! I feel the shows rating will probably go down because of his absense. He also showed everyone how folks can accomplish anything just by his faith and determination! Hope you return Derek for Seadon 21!

12. Cheryl STone says:

I will miss Derek desperately. He is sunshine, and the best dancer I have ever seen. Will be a dull, dull season of DWTS for sure.

13. mika02 says:

Sounds great to me bring in some new pro blood. I loved the new pros they brought in last season

14. Janice says:

To me, Derek’s wins have been well deserved. He is strategic in gearing the dances to his partner’s strengths, and no one comes close as a choreographer. I can’t even imagine a finale with no Derek coreographed free dance. He’s super talented, and the show will suffer greathly in my mind.

15. Hallelujiah! Won’t miss him in the least. Maybe I’ll care if and when he comes back.

16. Love Derek! He will be missed….:(

17. Angela says:

Wow. That’s surprising.
    Sounds like a good gig, though, so hey, good luck to him with it.

18. Derek ho ugh never sits out to be on dancing with the stars, because I’m a Huge fan of Derek ho ugh. And he is the most popular dancer

19. Barbara says:

Derek is one of the main reasons I watch DWTS. He will be sorely missed this season. Will only watch if someone I really want to see dance is on. Hopefully Derek will be back the following season. It seems like they are losinga lot of really great talent with Cheryl leaving also.

20. Sue Ann Thompson says:

I can’t imagine a DWTS without it’s biggest star. Derek is the most talented dancer and choreographer. I will not watch DWTS without Derek. He was the reason I got interested in the show in the first place, and the only reason I watched it. As Kenny Ortega said, he is redefining choreography for this generation. He has such a bright career in store for him. I am proud he is going to New York. I’m sure that will not be the only thing he does, as he usually has many things going at the same time. I am so hopeful he and Julianne will go on tour again. I intend to get front row seats and VIP passes this time. Enjoyed it so much. Good luck Derek. You are an inspiration to many with your talent, but most of all, with your beautiful soul. You are loved by many.

21. Nora says:

Love Derek! Missed him last time he took off. By far the best dancer on the show!!!

22. judith briggs says:

He will be missed for sure. He lends a lot to the show.

23. TAMMY OGDEN says:

IT IS NOT THE SAME WITHOUT HIM. HE MAKES THE SHOW COME ALIVE. WHAT A SAD THING. DON’T KNOW IF I WILL WATCH.

24. Ihlene Gordinear says:

The season won’t be the same without Derrick. I will miss him

25. judy says:

Derek. Is ny favourite. I will miss him very much. Dancing won’t be the same.without him. So talented for such a young man. Hope you come back Derek.

26. Char says:

I think that he has won enough times to where he, himself, feels that he needs to move on to something else. It is time for him to move on, he is an expert in the field. A guest spot would be awesome though!!

27. kim says:

Derk will be missed. Bring back Max!

28. Klassy1234 says:

Derek Hough will be missed. He put together the best dance routine. Like all the dances he did with Amber Riley was a great job and the one What does thfox say. Great, oustanding job.
    Derek you will be miss and so is his sister Juliannne.

29. Dawn Sargent says:

Derek’s presence will definitely be missed! He is my favorite DWTS pro. However I’m glad that he is doing something in place of the spring season of DWTS that he enjoys, that he is doing something productive and that he is not just sitting this season out! Love you Derek :) Hope to see you back in the fall.

30. Wanda says:

Derek needs to come back!!!!! DWTS will not be the same without him. I really do hope it’s just for this season cause if not I’ll be watching something else on Mondays!!!!!!!!

31. I am going to miss the talent and vision of such a gifted performer. It definitely opens up the field of opportunity for another couple to place first. Derrick is truly a professional that stands out in the dance world with his attitude, work ethics and talent. Hope to see him return soon.

32. chrissy says:

to many unknowns on the show, alot of us are loseing interest, you need some well know
    oldies